Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Apr 10, 2015 8:32 AM
Nov 2014
Very good episode of mushishi, really tragic and unique. 5/5.

That last scene I had a mixed feelings, I'm happy and sad that they got reincarnated.

Second fav ep so far.
Apr 18, 2015 6:18 AM

Aug 2014
This was a really good episode. It was very interesting that his village didn't want him back. It kind of reminds me of Frankenstein.
Apr 26, 2015 10:09 AM

Jan 2014
man that was fucking depressing... at least he has those two babies to keep him company now

ZephSilver said:
Death and rebirth.
Not being able to let go of the past and embracing the present.
This episode made me so uneasy. That ending made my jaw drop and gave me goosebumps.

5/5

agreed
Apr 26, 2015 12:07 PM
Mar 2012
So his wife is now a baby? Just like their daughter?
May 12, 2015 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Ep 7 - 4 and this one are my favourite ♥
May 22, 2015 4:08 AM

Jan 2014
"And with death, comes rebirth"
May 25, 2015 4:08 PM

Jul 2014
5/5
Jul 21, 2015 12:14 PM

Sep 2014
DAMNN This Episode was so Good..
Aug 4, 2015 6:21 PM

Dec 2011
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to take from this episode... Don't kill your parents?
Bamboos in a bamboo forest all share the same roots. Together, they are one, or a family of successive generations. Magari-dake are mushi that live off these roots, posing as one of the family. They grow by sucking nutrients from the roots of the bamboo and, in turn, return elements to the roots that make the forest green, growing the forest and increasing its own numbers.

Family can be a wonderful thing... but I think at some point or another, people consider their family to be a cage. Restricting them from the things they wish to do, or making life painful. Magari-dake caged you in, but at the same time provided precious life water that ensured the members of the family survived. It gives you life, and then bends you to its will. It is because you love them that you get so upset when they do something that hurts you.... And Setsu was upset enough to kill her Dad! Heebie Jeebies! Family can be beautiful and loving. Family can be cruel and manipulative.

This episode had a lot. It was funny that Ginko couldn't get out of the forest. It was creepy that there were bamboo children, and frustrating that the Magari-dake trapped you in. It was heart-warming to see this family of three live together happily. It was heartbreaking to see Kisuke shunned by his sister. It was devastating to see Setsu and their child die. It was hopeful when new life sprouts... The climax of this episode, Setsu turning on her parent, is a testament to her love and perhaps also her guilt of keeping Kisuke trapped in the forest.

Also Setsu and her child had a horrible death. They starved. They withered. Kisuke who had to see that... must have felt true agony and despair.
Sep 19, 2015 9:16 PM

Nov 2014
weirdest episode by far

Sep 21, 2015 7:17 AM

Aug 2008
Best episode so far. I liked how involved Ginko was and the closed setting and story. The baby in the bamboo freaked me out.
Nov 23, 2015 8:54 PM
Aug 2015
Jujuba said:
PBz0r said:
I got a grasp on most episodes until now but here was one I simply didn't understand.

First of all, when the main guy in this episode got lost in the forest, he was a little kid. Really, he was around 12, 13 years old. According to the guy himself that was 3 years ago. Wouldn't you say that's a little early to have kids? Second, that tree made Setsu's mom pregnant. How'd that ever happen? I don't expect them to explain in detail but why did the woman even go there. Was she possesed by the Mushi? Did she drink its water? I would've liked to know. Probably this has been going on for more generations then we've seen, but it still had to start somewhere. Then, the ending. Setsu cut the tree, which should've been impossible for her. No explanation. Then the tree turns out to be Setsu's mom. How did she turn into a tree? And where'd the original tree go? Setsu apparently died because she couldn't live without the main tree being there, and she and the tree (her mom) were buried next to eachother by the guy who's name I forgot (did he have name at all?). Then they were apparently reborn thanks to the new mushi-tree. It must've fed them some of its water again. I think. Then again, plants die as well. There were long dead. They couldn't have survived. Which probably means it wasn't them who were reborn, but it still makes you wonder why two of those babies just appeared out of nowehere.

There was no reason for everything this time, it was all pretty farfetched and it just didn't really fit in my opinion. Usually the show just explains everything and then it all comes together beautifully, but not now. It could be I missed the point here and there but to me right now this is one of the weakest episodes yet. Then again, this is one of the best shows I've seen, so that's not really hard to do.

Ok... No one tried to awnser you, I gotta try. But chances are I'm not completly correct =/.

1) He never said it had been 3 years since he lost himself there, just that it's been 3 years since no one passed by. Or "3 years since my daughter was born and scared all villagers away for ever...". And I don't think he was 12 when he got lost, he looked like more to 10, maybe 9. And 15, placed in "medieval" Japan, maybe a good age to get married and have kids... DIfferent times, no?

2) Well, ahn... I can only guess... The women and the mushi must have entered in connection... Idk... But I think it started with her....

3) She cut the tree, even though it was impossible for her. Don't that say something? I think her wish to make her husband's wish come true gave her power to go against her body. Maybe it was "the spirit winning over the body, or the human part winning over the mushi part" - even though the human part liked the tree anyhow... And I think the tree was Setsu's father... Not mother...
And then , without the water, her strenght/life fade and she "died", just like her daughter. Maybe, the central mushi bamboo went somewhere to recover, and then came back, maybe it had some seed that grew after some time at that forest. And the two girls, who could have been in a "hibernating-low-life" state, came back to life, or the remains of them gave birth again to new kids (something like fenix.. Idk...).

Well, I guess this is it. That's what the episode made me think. I can be wrong, but I wanted to show what I thought, cause I think that claiming that the episode had no reason, is just, well, not fair =/... It was good like the other episodes, "mushishi" like. And don't forget... Mushi are not tree. Mushi are not animal, or anything. Mushi are mushi. You can't predict what they do or what will happen to them, you are not a mushishi...

Hm hm, i agree with you Jujuba.
On the third topic, i would add that they died because they needed the "water of life" that came from the white bamboo. And the fact that the woman was able to cut the white bamboo shows how much she wanted to make her husband happy by giving him the possibility of going back to his village. It's like Ginko said, mind controls the body (or something like that) and she is part mushi so she had to overcome the wishes of the mushi to e able to cut it. Feels sort of suicide to me, once she knew it was all connected, but really beautiful attitude, to put the happiness of her loved one before hers.
On their "reborn" i think it has something with plants states/forms of life, that latent state of life...like seeds. They just need to have a nice enviroment with proper conditions of life/to grow to them do its thing. ~biology~

Did i get too confusing? Haha
Sorry for my bad bad bad english (:
Mar 24, 2016 3:36 AM
Nov 2014
Ok I've had enough. FUCK THIS anime. It tries way too hard to be tragic and kills off characters just for the sake of it. It's just laughable.
Aug 21, 2016 10:39 PM

Mar 2012
I'm not sure how she didn't see that coming to be honest...but at least this didn't have a depressing ending since it seems they were reborn. It's not gonna be the same but it's better than nothing.

Also, fuck that guy's village and his sister.
Aug 25, 2016 11:26 PM

Jan 2016
of course you’re gonna die when you cut down the only thing you can eat/drink ya dumb bitch
Oct 14, 2016 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
Another fantastic ep, not much to say, keeps on giving, Ginko's seiyuu is king.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 2, 2017 8:23 PM

May 2013
Aww, the mother and daughter were reborn in the end (or so it would seem to imply). Hopefully their speed of development is faster to catch up to the father bc they're half mushi half human :3 it'd be weird if the wife and kid were always super young in comparison but maybe that won't matter to him. Who knows :3

I'm disappointed the younger sister didn't welcome her brother back. Yeah, I understand how she feels, but what "suffering" did she had to endure? I don't think the other children from their childhood died by disappearing one by one back then. I assumed they found their way back to the village when they were separated from Kisuke and Setsu

That whole village made his fond love and memory for his home crumble away cruelly upon his return after YEARS of reminiscing. Bastards. Setsu DIED for this shit??? What a waste.
Kokoro_KotashimaJun 2, 2017 8:28 PM
Jul 4, 2017 7:22 AM

Jul 2015
NTR'd by a bamboo tree lol.

That was one weird but nice episode, that conclusion hurt hard, but looks like there is hope for them now that the mushi tree is back.
Jul 22, 2017 2:40 PM

Jun 2013
Very similar episode to the previous one, with literal family roots and all that.

Setsu chopping the tree was a pretty emotional moment. When she and her daughter died though... I was like "right, of course they died." That's classic Mushishi. At least they got "rebooted" or new hybrids rose from their remains (the specifics are unclear).

The logistics of the hybrids' origins aren't explained, so it's possible that the tree just grew those babies and no one had to literally give birth to a bamboo seedling (that would probably hurt more than the average childbirth). We can't really apply the same logic to mushi as humans. That's also why there's no point in labeling the white tree as a father or a mother, because mushi don't bother with things like sex or gender.
LeeTailorJul 22, 2017 2:48 PM
Sep 22, 2017 3:02 PM

Apr 2013
Was this "the tale of the bamboo cutter" ?

So how did that mushi impregnate the woman ?
Nov 29, 2017 3:58 PM
Nov 2016
Favorite Episode so far!!
Jan 11, 2018 11:51 PM

May 2016
That was so freaking sad I even teared up when they said they dried up and died, I'm glad they came back at the ending.
Apr 29, 2018 9:13 AM

Nov 2011
A truly mysterious episode, it reminds me of the story of Princess Kaguya in some ways and in the narrative I also read a sort of message. I'm so happy that in the end everything goes well, hurray!
Aug 23, 2018 11:57 PM
Apr 2008
Wow... incredible episode. Easily the best so far. Beautiful music at the end as well.

I just want to point out that perhaps the new babies are merely new children, and not necessarily the mother and daughter reborn. The genetic material and water from their bodies serve as fertilizers and seeds.
Dec 6, 2018 7:16 AM

Mar 2016
Imagine getting NTR'd by bamboo. It's gotta suck.
Jan 24, 2019 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
Time to go search the bamboo forest nearby for a half-bamboo-mushi waifu.
Mar 5, 2019 6:11 AM

May 2016
Bamboo babies are very familiar to me because I've seen a lot of different tales on the Legend of Princess Kaguya and this was a very nice episode. The crying and pulsating bamboo shoots still looked weird though~

Setsu was so considerate and apologetic for causing her husband's incidentally brought by the very strange circumstances surrounding her and her daughter's birth that she cut off the only lifeline they had so he could reunite with the villagers. They ended up shunning him, rendering Setsu's sacrifice void but it made him realize that they're all the friends and family he needed all along...right until the part where they died of malnutrition. It was really tragic but I was very glad that they became reborn when the bamboo Mushi decided to come back to the forest. It's definitely something to tell kids before bedtime.

Mar 12, 2019 10:59 AM

Apr 2016
Sad and dramatic - arguably my favorite type of episode. Y'know that overall theme has been picking up lately (especially evident in the previous episode), which to me is a good thing.

I've been feeling like the concept of 'mushi' is implemented as a mere plot convenience. A lot of points aren't explained too well, and I feel that the episodic nature of the series isn't beneficial to the establishment of what's actually going on in a Mushishi episode. I'd go in-depth here, but I don't wanna come across as a ranty type of person.

That aside, the previous two episodes slightly changed my view on the series.
Mar 17, 2019 5:02 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
another heartbreaking episode

Apr 26, 2019 9:58 AM

May 2015
In the end it turned out that he hadn't been living in a "cage" but in a sanctuary.
IshitatesoApr 26, 2019 10:36 AM
Jul 7, 2019 8:07 AM
Apr 2016
Well, another tragic story, this anime sure is flooded with them. Sad that both died like that, poor man.
Sep 28, 2019 10:00 AM

Sep 2018
This is another episode that I really like, in which so many concepts are fused, and what is shared by so many other episodes seen previously is seen: the love that women have for loved ones, which leads them to make extreme gestures also to their detriment. The finish is so beautiful, because it doesn't leave with a bitter taste, as often happens in the episodes of this anime series. I love this anime, it's boring to say, but I like to repeat it once more.
Mar 27, 2020 9:03 AM

Feb 2017
That guy's gonna have a complicated family tree...

Mar 29, 2020 6:52 PM

Dec 2019
Holy moly this anime never fails to amaze me, just when i thought we had a happy ending it turned a sad ending and then it turned to... idk what should i call that ending xD anyways overall good episode.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 10, 2020 2:18 PM

Aug 2018
A very touching episode but a little weird and hard to understand at certain times .
Apr 12, 2020 7:20 PM
Oct 2018
I liked how unpredictable this episode was. It set the wife up to be the villain, when in reality she wasn't in control of the situation at all. So creepy when the tree got up and crawled off! Not sure if it was just me or not, but the animation quality seemed to be really bad when the tree was crawling away.
May 28, 2020 9:35 PM

Aug 2019
SHIT. That was emotional.
This man, i will say has a will of steel i swear. Separated from his village and finding out that his wife and child were half Mushi, this guy was cool about it. I'm sure anyone who saw their wife give birth to a bamboo seed would have fucking booked it, but this guy stayed. Humans do have limits though, and i guess the small home sickness was enough for everything to go down hill, but they guy literally watched as his wife and child withered away like trees and still clung on. I guess this guy was more emotionally strong compared to the last dude. But FUCK why does Ginko always have to have the hard gigs? What's this? Secound time he returned back to someone he helped and everything has gone south? Dude needs a vacation i swear.
also when the white bamboo tree was cut down and then fucking scuttered away on its "legs". Pure nightmare fuel. The thought of a fucking tree scuttling towards me like a centipede, using it's branches as legs isn't ideal.
Jun 29, 2020 6:11 PM

Sep 2017
Man this show is so fucking good.
Jan 17, 2021 11:11 AM

Jun 2020
Ok. Now it seems like this show has become just pain. First the Ginko backstory, then the guy falling off the bridge and turning zombie and now this... I love this show but man its too much sadness.
Jan 31, 2021 12:14 AM

Mar 2018
I keep telling myself 'It can't get better than that', yet it keeps outdoing itself, the symbolisms, messages, emotions, all so potent and powerful.

Glad to live in a dimension where this series exists.
Feb 26, 2021 2:15 PM

Mar 2019
Okay, so basically, someone played an innocent prank on Ginko and as such he decided to ruin their whole family. Cool!
OωO
Apr 12, 2021 5:01 AM

Jan 2020
Well normies would think that Setsu and her husband are having sex, while I think the baby comes from the bamboo mother or whatever it is.
Apr 12, 2021 5:02 AM

Jan 2020
A bittersweet ending indeed
Apr 12, 2021 5:03 AM

Jan 2020
Why do they have to make every Mushi looks creepy?
Feb 11, 2022 6:47 PM
Nov 2020
Imagine the guilt you would feel of you were that guy. A tragic story
May 30, 2022 2:01 AM

May 2018
Oh bro... Don't tell me they are back to life again...

Sep 2, 2022 2:34 PM

May 2021
Lovely episode - what a bittersweet story.
Oct 12, 2022 5:43 PM
Oct 2022
the ending scene, when he heard the baby cries from the graves, really left me with a sensation that I can't explain, it touched me. Overall it was a very good episode
Dec 2, 2022 5:00 PM

Feb 2018
Such a strange concept for this one, but it ended up working so well towards the end.
Dec 6, 2022 10:36 AM

Feb 2017
There have been a lot of sad endings the past 3 episodes so having a decent good one is refreshing. I'm hoping Ginko finally find a method to save people/characters instead of waiting and letting them pass away. Sad endings are great, but good endings are so as well. I'm getting tired of seeing sad endings.

『時間は限られています。時間は貴重です。今それを住んでいます。』

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
Yesterday, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
Yesterday, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

157 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

93 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 16, 11:41 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.