Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Akame ga KILL!
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (25) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 2014 12:03 PM

Apr 2009
GreenBenjamin said:

I'll compare it because he talked about "deep" and "edgy"

I admit that the first Berserk volumes have some pointless gore, but there are plenty of scenes that actually serve a purpose and the execution is way better. Sadly, newer manga such as Akame or Shingeki do not reach that depth as it it mostly just flatout shock value without a lot of purpose behind it. It gets pretty predictable as well.

In any case, it is surely right when he contributes a lot of AgK's success to gore or shock value because the fans hype it for exactly that... even though it is hardly original and is done by every second "next big thing" manga every few years.Behind the gore lies an average story and fans shouldn't excite new people too much, it will only end in hype backlash.
NidhoeggrJul 6, 2014 12:09 PM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 6, 2014 12:06 PM

Sep 2012
I heard this anime would be very bad, but the first episode was actually good (with a nice OST), I found it better than Tokyo Ghoul, another gory anime this season.
Jul 6, 2014 12:06 PM

Dec 2012
Urek said:

to all guys thinking this is bad and got full of shounen troupes... well, it is a shounen. the main difference and selling point of this series is the gore and actual deaths of the characters... PEOPLE DIE WHEN THEY ARE KILLED, not revived with edo tensei like in naruto or the MC using talk-no-jutsu, reborn as a spirit or healing major wounds like in bleach or simply somehow beating the enemy with the power of friendship like in fairy ****.

for the others who are interested in the series... DO NET GET TOO ATTACHED WITH THE CHARACTERS... or you will break your heart... *sobs* like petra in attack on titan... *SOBS HYSTERICALLY*

You can't be serious. There is so much wrong here..
Jul 6, 2014 12:09 PM

Aug 2013
Meh, first drop at this season, animation was pretty good (actually backgrounds, characrers was awful) , audio too, but story doesn't reach me at all, and funny scenes were not funny at all.
The story is good for rpg game, not for tv series.
rsc-plJul 6, 2014 12:15 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 6, 2014 12:10 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed the op more than what I did when I heard it in the PV.
I think it fits alright.

I can't be bothered to write more than that I liked the ep :P

Hope the pacing calms down as we go on. First ep felt rushed, but it was the same pacing as in the manga.

Jul 6, 2014 12:12 PM

Jan 2014
Nidhoeggr said:
GreenBenjamin said:

I'll compare it because he talked about "deep" and "edgy"

I admit that the first Berserk volumes have some pointless gore, but there are plenty of scenes that actually serve a purpose and the execution is way better. Sadly, newer manga such as Akame or Shingeki do not reach that depth as it it mostly just flatout shock value without a lot of purpose behind it. It gets pretty predictable as well.

In any case, it is surely right when he contributes a lot of AgK's success to gore or shock value because the fans hype it for exactly that... even though it is hardly original and is done by every second "next big thing" manga every few years.Behind the gore lies an average story and fans shouldn't excite new people too much, it will only end in hype backlash.

Berserk still has pointless rape scenes and nudity as far as i know. You also compare something with like 340 chapters to agk which has only 50 and the guy takes months off for enough time to plan anything.
Jul 6, 2014 12:12 PM
Jul 2018
skudoops said:

Well there's..

That being said,even though I found it cliché,I would not say it is bad and I will surely keep watching it. But I have some issues with it as well.
Jul 6, 2014 12:14 PM

Jan 2013
If only it wasn't that shonen-ish. The main character is pretty annoying and I could do without them switching from serious tone to comedy within 5 seconds. that's pretty dumb really.

Also the character designs are blargh...blonde busty cat girl, pink haired twintails with guns and hardcore bland main character. well whatever
Jul 6, 2014 12:15 PM

Apr 2009
GreenBenjamin said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Berserk still has pointless rape scenes and nudity as far as i know. You also compare something with like 340 chapters to agk which has only 50 and the guy takes months off for enough time to plan anything.

Read the latest arcs then. Miura is not dumb and slowly changed Berserk to get rid of that pointless stuff while keeping up the quality.
But that is besides the point. My argument was that AgK's popularity is mainly because of the edge and gore and not because of the writing.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 6, 2014 12:18 PM
Apr 2013
I thought it was nice but I wish an anime can either stick with being comical/corny and stick with being serious. I mean both sides can have a flash of it but when it is shared 50/50 and the scenes switch quickly I end up disliking it.
Jul 6, 2014 12:21 PM
Aug 2011
Slightly disappointed in the art and animation because i've seen that White Fox has done so much better in the past.
If it was any other studio it would be great but my visual standards for this studio are higher than most.

As far as first episode intensity goes, Tokyo Ghoul takes the cake right now.
Though this wins points for not being heavily censored.
Jul 6, 2014 12:21 PM

Mar 2012
I enjoyed this. Nice and gory, so glad it wasn't censored (we're looking at you Dangan Ronpa).

I like the overall look of Night Raid and the potential they hold as characters, I'm especially excited to see more of Akame. Getting a sense of deep backstories ahead~.

The OST suited the anime really well. The opening was okay but dat ending, thought it was a lot better than the OP.

The pacing was a little fast and as its 24 episodes I hope it doesn't fuck it up SAO style and have pacing become a main reasoning for why it turned out so bad. It was a little predictable but I can overlook that. That being said if it slows down and the story is done right, it could be a great anime.

(Not to sound like a sadist but I would have liked to have seen the torture scenes).
YukonJul 6, 2014 12:27 PM
Jul 6, 2014 12:23 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty solid episode. Also no censoring people! The two problem I have with akame ga kill not only in the anime but the manga is how easily the tone can shift from sad to happy, and the animation is kinda generic, ok animation I guess, other than that pretty solid episode. 8/10. Btw people you should expect criticism in any series, but some people genuinely didn't like it, but some are just trolls, it's best to ignore the trolls and some are very obvious to know.
keragammingJul 6, 2014 12:28 PM
Jul 6, 2014 12:25 PM

Jan 2013
"Animation"

aka stills shaking.
Jul 6, 2014 12:27 PM

Dec 2013
As I didn't read the manga, I can say I did not expect to be that gore, contrasting with the character design that is childish, although it was a good episode, and as so of you spoke the OST is very good. I'll keep watching to see how it goes.
Jul 6, 2014 12:28 PM

Jan 2013
AkatsukiWolf said:
What an interesting start to the show. I had a feeling they would adapt the first chapter but didn't expect the pacing to be so fast. My only complaints is the pacing and the generic MC but besides that it was a good first episode.

"I had a feeling they were going to adapt the first chapter"

NO

SHIT
Jul 6, 2014 12:31 PM

Nov 2013
Yukon said:
The pacing was a little fast and as its 24 episodes I hope it doesn't fuck it up SAO style and have a pacing a main reasoning for why it turned out so bad. That being said if it slows down and the story is done right, could be a great anime.

Well, they did fit the whole first chapter ~80 pages in this episode, so that's why it felt fast paced, however I'm hopping the anime will now slow down a couple of notches to present some of the characters backstories.

keragamming said:
Btw people you should expect criticism in any series, but some people genuinely didn't like it, but some are just trolls, it's best to ignore the trolls and some are very obvious to know.

Agree. The animation for now was acceptable and since I know the story, I knew from the start that the first episode had to fill the first chapter, so it would feel slightly rushed.

What I didn't expect was the "jolly" feeling all around, since there was always a dark aura over this story ever since the MC entered the capital. Anyway, I'm hopping they fix this so that the story get's darker and serious like the manga.
DarkMoonWolfJul 6, 2014 12:39 PM
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

Jul 6, 2014 12:33 PM

Feb 2013
Character design and overall art style could be better but besides that I'm satisfied with the first ep. This is how gore scenes in anime SHOULD look like.

Jul 2012
It was meh, the animation wasn't even all that. The show seems rather dull , idk maybe because of the MC I don't really know how to explain it.

Mar 2008
Tatsumi's design is intolerable.
Jul 6, 2014 12:35 PM
Jul 2014
FrancWyvern said:
Fan service, cartoony characters, senseless gore, pretentiousness and a plot twist that makes no sense (Just as some convenient characters, like that guard who randomly delivered important plot elements).
What we learned in this episode of Akame Ga Kill: Social inequality isn't bad because of complicated social problems, but because rich people are cartoony psychopaths.
Hurr durr so deep animu of the year hurr durr

2/10 (It gains a point because gore is fun)

I made an account just to ask are you one of those people who enjoy only "deep and mature anime for deep and mature people like myself"?

If you are, you also forgot to include a picture of yourself wearing a fedora in your post. Can't be complete without the fedora.

@topic:
The first episode wasn't perfect, but still a good adaptation. The OP was lazy and the stills bothered me, but everything followed the manga perfectly and AgK is the kind of series that gets better as the story develops.
Jul 6, 2014 12:38 PM

Jan 2013
This show sucks. It is the mirai nikki of 2014, except worse because it doesnt have Yuno.

First off the art is terrible, this is a seasonal series and it doesnt look much better than long runners like Naruto or Fairy Tail.

Second, who the fuck high rates a show JUST BECAUSE it isnt censored?

Not that it wasnt censored, but they did take some pretty good corner cutting to get the censoring to be hidden by shadows.

Finally this show didnt have animation.

The first cross slash was a still. The scene when the girl was maniacally laughing was a still. The scene of the bodies was a still.

Even the execution scene at the end was a fucking still.

Taking a still picture and shaking it around isnt animation.

4/10 gonna go back to watching Jojo's.
Jul 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Aug 2009
Ore ga Kill

^ Gatta atleast be honest and praise the Matrix looking bullet dodges by Akame.
They prolly used all their artful skills on that.
[right]

Jul 6, 2014 12:40 PM

Jun 2013
Really enjoyed the first episode, great animation, nice music, and everything followed the manga to the smallest detail. One thing which did make me sad, is the fact that there will only be total of 24 episodes. That is unless within the span of those episodes the whole of current story gets covered, similarly to what happened to Shingeki no Kyojin recently.

Lastly, I personally am not complaining about minute censorship and hope same approach will be taken to every other decapitating scene.

@Reply on my profile, rarely check back forum threads

HummingBird | DeviantArt | MAL | MML

Jul 6, 2014 12:41 PM
May 2014
The comedy/seriosity tone switch is only there at the beginning, it changes to a full serious tone a few chapters into the manga.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.

Jan 2013
tomzz4 said:
Really enjoyed the first episode, great animation, nice music, and everything followed the manga to the smallest detail. One thing which did make me sad, is the fact that there will only be total of 24 episodes. That is unless within the span of those episodes the whole of current story gets covered, similarly to what happened to Shingeki no Kyojin recently.

Lastly, I personally am not complaining about minute censorship and hope same approach will be taken to every other decapitating scene.

Clearly this show is a 10/10.

They showed someone get cut in half.

Anime of the year.

Apr 2013
I can't believe I actually agree with Solvite. This can't be real life.
Jul 6, 2014 12:42 PM

Sep 2013

Prepare your anus!!
Jul 6, 2014 12:42 PM

Nov 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Bye bye...

By the way, if you can, please take all the natural born haters with you...

Don't let the door hit you on your way out!!!

See you...
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

Jul 6, 2014 12:43 PM

Jul 2013
wow that was pretty hectik. was worried the hype would be for nothing but that exceeding my expectations. animation was beautiful cant wait for the next episode.
Jul 6, 2014 12:43 PM

Jan 2013
DarkMoonWolf said:
SolviteSekai said:

Bye bye...

See you...

I actually lied, I'm going to keep watching because there isnt much else to watch these days.

BTW greying out your text makes you look super cool.
Jul 6, 2014 12:44 PM
May 2011
Holy shit these forums are hilarious. On one hand you have people complaining about it being pretentious, then you have people saying it shouldn't mix comedy and tragedy so quickly. Which is it? I FULLY agreed with the aspect of strange tone-mixing until I realized it doesnt take itself that seriously, i.e. it's far from pretentious. The manga imo comes off as a dark comedy with dark humor. I do not take it seriously because I dont believe it is meant to be taken that seriously. I think the writing is just average except for a redeeming quality that keeps me entertained: main characters actually die. That aspect keeps me entertained, it's a fun survival story disguised as a battle series that just happens to have a lot of comedy.
Jul 6, 2014 12:45 PM
Aug 2011
DarkMoonWolf said:
SolviteSekai said:

Bye bye...

See you...

Ewww. Use normal font colors.

DarkMoonWolf said:
SolviteSekai said:

Bye bye...

See you...

Ewww. Use normal font colors.

V Maybe not horrendous animation but it's nowhere close to what White Fox is capable of.
Don't diss DT like that!!! That was the best anime and you know it.
standJul 6, 2014 12:49 PM
Jul 6, 2014 12:46 PM

Jan 2013
Just being real here, this show has shitty animation.

I have to guess these people have only seen long running series at this point.

This show has HORRENDOUS animation.

The character designs remind me of Ixion DT.
Jul 6, 2014 12:47 PM
Oct 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
GreenBenjamin said:

Read the latest arcs then. Miura is not dumb and slowly changed Berserk to get rid of that pointless stuff while keeping up the quality.
But that is besides the point. My argument was that AgK's popularity is mainly because of the edge and gore and not because of the writing.

The latest arcs are unbelievably dull and have been going no where for sometime now. Also the second to last chapter has a pointless fanservice scene, I don't mind it but it's still there.
Jul 6, 2014 12:49 PM

Apr 2013
Agk was pretty decent until the latest few arcs. Then everything went to shit.
Jul 6, 2014 12:50 PM

Apr 2014
Ofcource hipsters wanna go against the grain and dislike something popular
Jul 6, 2014 12:50 PM

May 2010
Holy shit.... yeah.. um wasnt expecting that at all, so twisted ill be watching this for sure.
Jul 6, 2014 12:51 PM
Mar 2013
It was decent. The deaths felt empty and meaningless, like the only purpose was to show how dangerous the capital is. otherwise it looks like it's going to be fun to watch

there are some fuckable gurls tho, amirite?
May 2014
3deep5mehurr said:
FrancWyvern said:
Fan service, cartoony characters, senseless gore, pretentiousness and a plot twist that makes no sense (Just as some convenient characters, like that guard who randomly delivered important plot elements).
What we learned in this episode of Akame Ga Kill: Social inequality isn't bad because of complicated social problems, but because rich people are cartoony psychopaths.
Hurr durr so deep animu of the year hurr durr

2/10 (It gains a point because gore is fun)

I made an account just to ask are you one of those people who enjoy only "deep and mature anime for deep and mature people like myself"?

If you are, you also forgot to include a picture of yourself wearing a fedora in your post. Can't be complete without the fedora.

@topic:
The first episode wasn't perfect, but still a good adaptation. The OP was lazy and the stills bothered me, but everything followed the manga perfectly and AgK is the kind of series that gets better as the story develops.

lmaooooooooo dead
Oct 2010
SolviteSekai said:

The first cross slash was a still. The scene when the girl was maniacally laughing was a still. The scene of the bodies was a still.

Who cares about those stills though? As long as they don't start using them in the main fight scenes like AoT who gives a shit?

Jan 2013
Moodie said:

7.6 isnt very popular.

This time the show isnt even highly rated.

Seems like the majority of people arent going to be down to watch Naruto again except with random gore scenes spliced in.
The Komori

Mar 2013
SolviteSekai said:
AkatsukiWolf said:
What an interesting start to the show. I had a feeling they would adapt the first chapter but didn't expect the pacing to be so fast. My only complaints is the pacing and the generic MC but besides that it was a good first episode.

NO

SHIT
Heeey, you made it to the party lol

What'd you think? =P
Jul 6, 2014 12:52 PM
Oct 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Moodie said:

7.6 isnt very popular.

Seems like the majority of people arent going to be down to watch Naruto again except with random gore scenes spliced in.

The score hasn't updated yet, looking at the stats page it should get much higher than that. But you're right, this isn't as popular as its made out to be. Japan doesn't care much for it.
Jul 6, 2014 12:53 PM

Jan 2013
Tokoya said:
SolviteSekai said:

NO

SHIT
Heeey, you made it to the party lol

What'd you think? =P

It was ok. I'm going to keep watching.

My argument isn't that the show sucks, just that this animation is terrible.

Calling this animation good is a flat out insult to shows like HxH and some of Kyo-Ani's recent shows.

StormNA said:
SolviteSekai said:

7.6 isnt very popular.

The score hasn't updated yet, looking at the stats page it should get much higher than that. But you're right, this isn't as popular as its made out to be. Japan doesn't care much for it.

Tokyo Ghoul was at 8.6 or something at this point.

Probably because that show has an actual plot.
May 2014
JD2411 said:
It was decent. The deaths felt empty and meaningless, like the only purpose was to show how dangerous the capital is. otherwise it looks like it's going to be fun to watch

Because that WAS the point of it lol anyways I love how some people are judging the entire anime with only the first episode out lmao.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Aug 2013
Shit sucks. Generic fantasy shlock for 12 year olds.
Jul 6, 2014 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
StormNA said:
SolviteSekai said:

7.6 isnt very popular.

kikohunter said:
JD2411 said:

Because that WAS the point of it lol anyways I love how some people are judging the entire anime with only the first episode out lmao.

There are better ways to show corruption than to show a bunch of stills of murder.

Durarara showed a corrupt city without murder.
Jul 6, 2014 12:55 PM

Apr 2013
Moodie said:
Yeah, of course. Because we don't actually dislike it, were just pretending to so we can feel special.

You got us. Oh damn
Jul 6, 2014 12:55 PM

Apr 2014
SolviteSekai said:
Moodie said:

7.6 isnt very popular.

Again ratings dont mean shit to me lol

Ratings don't equal popularity either but judging by how popular the manga is I can see it picking up in fans.
Pages (25) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Nov 9, 2014

610 by Ratris_Decision »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2014

1366 by zlattomir »»
Yesterday, 3:23 PM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

330 by PastUchiha98 »»
May 8, 9:47 AM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 31, 2014

472 by PastUchiha98 »»
May 8, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Akame ga Kill! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

282 by Cammell »»
Apr 18, 11:23 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.