Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 28, 2015 4:09 PM

Jul 2014
I laughed at the final scene with the old woman.

4/5
Jun 9, 2015 3:01 PM

Jan 2014
Quite the sad episode, although, the ending was bitter sweet.
Aug 6, 2015 3:36 PM

Jan 2014
Okay not to be nerdy but this is just like space travel and relativity!! Einstein would be proud :p
Sep 22, 2015 8:53 AM

Aug 2008
Wow this episode was pretty mysterious. Good episode.
Jan 4, 2016 8:16 PM
Aug 2015
katsup said:
the ending was nice, but i wanted to know how old aya was when ito returned home..

Since they are twins...Probably around 15, since Ito seemed to have 10 when she came back (and disapeared) and, when Ginko was talking to Aya, he said it was 5 years since Ito has disappeared. (:

It was a really good ep. And it had a happy ending ((:
Jan 8, 2016 11:16 PM

Mar 2013
Really liking the past few episodes
Feb 3, 2016 10:19 PM
Apr 2014
This episode was so freaking good.
The ending though....I'm confused but I'm glad it was a happy ending.
Apr 18, 2016 8:47 PM

Apr 2009
Yehey! a happy ending
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 22, 2016 3:52 AM

Mar 2012
I wonder how much time passed while she was in that place since it seems like she didn't age at all.
Oct 7, 2016 3:45 AM

Apr 2015
She didn't aged?? She didn't aged!! And how can she didn't try to escape but then tried to do so after 5 years?
Oct 20, 2016 6:13 PM

Dec 2015
You said:
She didn't aged?? She didn't aged!! And how can she didn't try to escape but then tried to do so after 5 years?
mushi time works differently, i think thats the case here. srry if im wrong
no
Oct 20, 2016 6:18 PM

Apr 2015
TheFugga said:
You said:
mushi time works differently, i think thats the case here. srry if im wrong
you mean like how the wife that is trapped in the foggy sea in a boat? Okay then.
Oct 30, 2016 1:38 PM

May 2010
I am interested in knowing how Ginko get to meet Aya first as they were talking casually there.

Interesting episode yet again tho it's sad how doors weren't the only thing which caused the mushi to teleport people. Come to think of it, these people can't even sleep with blankets on their faces, or play hide&seek. What a sad life.
Jun 3, 2017 11:09 PM

May 2013
So Ito-chan finally came back. She got lucky, except she lost the ability to speak and her age is skewed :( no longer twinning, but I'm sure Aya will still be happy regardless :')
Jul 5, 2017 8:15 AM

Jul 2015
Ayaya?

I didn't like this episode as much as others, but the idea and ending were nice.
Jul 24, 2017 9:30 PM

Jun 2013
I liked the concept but this one felt a bit disjointed.
Jan 14, 2018 8:54 AM

May 2016
Poor girl 5 years.
May 1, 2018 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
Melancholy episode as usual that leaves me displaced in the final part, why is the sister not aged? Happy that it is finished in a positive way.

Aug 13, 2018 3:12 PM
Apr 2018
This episode it's weird and ginko said she lost inside the uroa and then she came back with a letter! and as a little girl
I think this story need another episode to be completed
Aug 21, 2018 3:22 AM

Feb 2014
Isn't it weird that the old man said "don't close, don't open", and when Ginko comes visit Aya she opens a window?

BTW nice touch with silkworms cocoons and wormholes, specially when Ito did't age a day, like the twins paradox.

Also, what was written on that letter? I think I'm missing something, was Aya trying to give direction to Ito if she ever came back and Ito had one of those letters - also Ginko had another?
Aug 25, 2018 5:53 PM
Apr 2008
The most tragic episode I saw so far, because it was such a series of unfortunate events that led to Ito being spirited away. The tension and mystery were incredible. Such a great episode.
Sep 20, 2018 3:23 PM
Jul 2018
Probably the best episode of the series at the moment. Outstanding in every way.

Mar 5, 2019 4:39 PM

May 2016
Despite the clear dangers that come with it, that cocoon instant messaging system's still pretty cool even with its occassional flaws. It's tragic that Ito got banished to the shadow realm by accident for 5 years but it's a powerful thing that she never gave up in trying to find a way out even if everyone else had given up on her already. If Ginko didn't go down there with Aya, she might not have found the one exit in that dark and menacing maze.

Mar 12, 2019 9:01 PM

Apr 2016
I didn't really like this episode that much. A lot was left unclear, or rather, I didn't catch the significance of Uro-Ana nor it's actual supernatural power.
Mar 17, 2019 6:44 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
another nice ep and they also revealed how they exchange letters

May 7, 2019 9:18 PM
Aug 2014
curvedtree said:
Isn't it weird that the old man said "don't close, don't open", and when Ginko comes visit Aya she opens a window?

Don't open if you find yourself in an enclosed space, the door in the room was probably open so it was okay to open the window.
May 7, 2019 9:21 PM
Aug 2014
At least this didn't end in complete tragedy.
May 24, 2019 7:06 AM

Feb 2014
derprume said:
curvedtree said:

Don't open if you find yourself in an enclosed space, the door in the room was probably open so it was okay to open the window.

I was pointing out the irony, I didn't say she was in "enclosed space", leaving a gap at the window would have been a nice touch.
May 24, 2019 9:06 PM
Aug 2014
curvedtree said:
derprume said:

I was pointing out the irony, I didn't say she was in "enclosed space", leaving a gap at the window would have been a nice touch.

It's a minor detail that viewers can put the pieces together. The key animator might not of even been aware of the rule at the time.
May 25, 2019 12:52 PM

Feb 2014
derprume said:
curvedtree said:

It's a minor detail that viewers can put the pieces together. The key animator might not of even been aware of the rule at the time.

I checked the manga and it is hard to identify if she opened the window of the room she was in, and it is also hard to identify how the windows were before, the frame she appears the window is full open though with no sfx for opeing the window.

Still, not going to make much difference to the story.
Jul 7, 2019 12:48 PM
Apr 2016
That's straight up a terrifying Mushi, trapping people like that for eternity; she didn't age after coming back, after all.
Oct 1, 2019 12:31 PM

Sep 2018
I like this episode, because it is one of those that has a happy ending, but also because it is very poignant in its narration. It also seems to want to give us a great lesson in life: never lose hope and persevere, sooner or later something beautiful will happen.
Mar 27, 2020 10:57 PM

Feb 2017
Re-spinning a cocoon after boiling it apart sounds really difficult.

Mar 31, 2020 12:46 AM

Dec 2019
That ending was so satisfying, it made me happy af.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 1, 2020 5:29 PM

Sep 2017
Felt my heart sink so heavily in this episode. This show is so consistently powerful. My only substantial criticism of this episode is the very end; if the writers wanted it to end with the two sisters getting to reunite, we need to SEE that, it feels weird to just suggest it after we just spent the whole episode watching their struggle. I'd have preferred it if they just suggested that maybe a girl was found somewhere and left it at that, that way it would have ended ambiguously and it would have been fine ending it on a narration. As it is, it kind of felt like: "Oh, by the way, they find each other again, it's all good." But overall another incredible episode; the concepts, the imagery, the emotion, Mushishi is definitely going down as one of my all-time favorites.
Apr 14, 2020 6:22 PM
Oct 2018
This episode wasn't as interesting for me as all the other episodes, but did show a different side to Ginko.

Normally, he is solving mysteries behind the mushi, and then "curing" people of their mushi issues in one way or another. In this episode, it was cool to see him try and help the sister move on mentally by taking her to the passage way and show her how impossible it was going to be to ever find her lost sister. He was showing her the passage way to help her move on with her life.

I thought this episode had some cool things, but overall not my favorite mushishi ever. 3/5
May 29, 2020 9:00 PM

Aug 2019
YES HAPPY ENDING THANK GOD. Where this episode was leading it got me in the super feels i swear, but thank fuck i was so happy she managed to find her way out.
Very interesting concept of cross communication used by Mushishi, still struggling to work out the time period they are in (maybe one before phones and such were used?????) but they seem to have a some what way of communication sorted. Having confuse a very dangerous mushi and getting it to shift between two places instead of one and using that for mail is pretty good concept.
Although its the equivalent to the Royal mail, if the facility was on fire and every van they drove had a dimension shifting demon ghost in it, i guess it gets the job done.
Wait let me get this right though, so Aya was sending instructions to her sister on how escape by trial and error? By sending the same note but through random cacoons in hopes of it eventually reaching her? So the modern equivalent would be sending a letter to random addresses across the country in hopes that it reaches the one correct person? Wow so the chances of her getting away with that are... low. Maybe thats an understatement, more like winning the lottery a few dozen times? Especially relating how quick her sister got it
Jun 14, 2020 1:38 AM

Aug 2018
Pretty mysterious and powerful episode
Oct 23, 2020 7:02 PM

Jan 2019
Oh thank god i thought she was going to be gone forever. That would’ve been so sad otherwise, now I can only wish we got to see that reunion between sisters. Sucks tho I’m super tired today because I had to wake up early and I did the thing where I closed my eyes and woke up 2 minutes later—missing a lil bit of context for the episode.
Oct 27, 2020 6:59 PM
Mar 2020
This anime is a work of art. Has some really powerful moments in this series. One of my fav eps so far.
Dec 16, 2020 9:19 PM

Dec 2018
Wow the ending is rather surprising, Ginko's attitude was really to help Ito move past any feelings of false hope. I'm just glad Ito never gave up on finding Aya given how low the chances of finder her were. Great episode with a strong hopeful message!
Jan 31, 2021 1:57 AM

Mar 2018
While it's not concrete this is the case, from what I can gather is that when you unwind and remake one cocoon into two as said by the Old Man, it confuses the Uro-San, creating a bridge to their world from the Uro-Passageway, presumably set at the end of the Uro-Passageway which is guided by the chain per Ginko.

When the Old Lady was unwinding and remaking the cocoon's, she was creating an opening to the world, with Ito having reached the end of the chain just as an opening was created.

And of course, with time operating differently for Mushi, what was years for Ginko and Aya was days for Ito in the Uro-Passageway.
Celest__Jan 31, 2021 2:04 AM
Feb 26, 2021 1:27 PM

Jan 2016
It was nice to see a mushi being put into use in such a common manner while still having its usual risks. I used to think that they should have explained how Ginko got his requests earlier but I'm glad we had this episode instead.

Even though it is unlikely Ito will recover her memories, the ending was still heartwarming. It would be nice if we got to see her and Aya again later.
Apr 15, 2021 5:56 PM

Jan 2020
Free_Candy said:
must ve been awkward leaving the door open when u go use the washroom

Old geezer: Keikakku dori....
Apr 15, 2021 6:01 PM

Jan 2020
Now I wonder if Mushi is a Japan-exclusive...
May 16, 2021 8:34 AM

Mar 2021
honestly it was a brilliant episode, that "don't lift it" and then she was gone *chef kiss*
Feb 12, 2022 11:18 AM
Nov 2020
Holy fuck was this heart wrenching. The world building this episode was amazing and I love the idea of these uro and how some mushi-shi from long ago was able to use them to travel. The Idea of these uro passageway are amazing.
Feb 18, 2022 1:57 PM

Jun 2010
I guess this happened a few times earlier in the series but this episode made mushi-shi seem like wizards rather than something like naturalists.

I like how the old man warned about doors but it wasn't a door that caused the disaster. A good fake-out and one that doesn't require further explanation; he did say it was about enclosed spaces rather than doors per se.

The happy ending was rather surprising and I can't say I understand how it works with the story except to retreat from how dark it became. The entire point of Ginko taking Aya into the uro passageway was to shock her into accepting the dismal truth about Ito's fate since gentle methods clearly weren't helping. The ghastly image of a ten-year-old child wandering the darkness for the rest of her life with no hope of escape was too harsh, perhaps?

002173 said:
... I'm still waiting for Ginko's modern clothes to be explained, or at least someone commenting on them.

They don't have to be an anachronism; this series could easily be set in the 19th Century, so they'd be Western but not modern. Realistically everyone who meets him should think he's dressed oddly but that would be tedious to constantly depict so I think it's skipped over for that reason. Ultimately it's probably a way of showing how he's detached from those around him the same way his white hair and blue eye do.
FronzelFeb 20, 2022 3:03 PM
May 30, 2022 2:38 AM

May 2018
Kind of awesome knowing how Mushishi communicates. Can't say I understand all things about this episode, but still enjoyed watching it. How can I not get confuse when the girl suddenly vanished and came back without aging, making this Mushi really interesting and weird.

Mar 11, 2023 11:46 AM

Sep 2008
They invented a mushi quantum entanglement telegram system :O
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 10, 2008

175 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 7:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zippy - Feb 9, 2008

136 by reus23shinji »»
May 15, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

150 by reus23shinji »»
May 11, 6:32 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 6, 2008

159 by Nuikorakabiri »»
Apr 22, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zippy - Feb 2, 2008

156 by hinasuns »»
Mar 21, 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.