Jan 12, 2017
Servamp (Anime) add (All reviews)
SaffronGrey1 (All reviews)
I checked this anime out because it (1) reminded me of Black Butler and (2) the VA's, especially Yuki Kaji. Brief appearances by Hiroshi Kamiya and Daisuke Ono (faves of mine).

The story has a simple pattern to follow, each servamp representing 7 sins and all that. It's not overly complicated. I think it's primarily meant to be a fun anime. It DOES attempt to get "deep" and I don't see anything wrong with that. Most people won't considered it properly executed, and if I was completely unbiased, I would agree.

Given how it only received 12 episodes, it's understandably a RUSHED anime. Friendships build pretty fast by the 3rd episode, and they don't stand if you give it too much thought. The ending will undoubtedly disappoint many. I was (VERY), BUT I plan to check out the manga and hope there's something different, deeper, and overall better.

However, I watch things primarily for the CHARACTERS and their interactions with each other. So, I found this anime VERY enjoyable mostly because I invest primarily on characters just a little bit more than plot execution. I loved the servamps and how we were able to learn a lot about at least 3 of them. Some of the Eves hint at deeper backstories, but, again, 12 episodes isn't enough to expand. I hope the manga goes further.

Might come down to personal tasted, but my #1 problem is Mahiru. Yes, yes, he's a basic protagonist, the Every Man here... but he's so ANNOYING at times. And the lines he repeats, while they ARE his way of life... still ANNOYING to hear every episode. I only tolerate him because he's nothing without Kuro.

Anyway, I enjoyed it overall. As of writing this review (Jan. 12, 2017) I heard the manga author is ill, so the manga will go into hiatus. I hope she recovers soon.