- Magic and Science are exist in both novels, with the only difference is that in MKNR both aspect are supporting each other, while in TAMNI they are just simply coexist.
- Protagonists from both novels are considered weak (both Tatsuya and Touma) by their respective society(Tatsuya for being unable to use magic properly and Touma for being unable to display any Esper power).And despite being weak, both of them possess unusual ability.
Both explore the possibilities of superhuman abilities and a world that hosts them.
Mahouka focuses a lot more on the politics and the scientific benefits side where as Index is more about the relationships between the characters in a way.
Mahouka also treats magic like a programming language while in index magic and science are separate entities at odds with each other
- Protagonists had tough and vigorous pasts but they still have cool and calm personalities;
- Main heroines main role is to be protected but they also have their own moments to shine;
- Similar genres (Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance);
- Gets darker as the story progresses;
- Tons of comic relief scenes;
- Good artstyles and character designs;
- Supporting cast full of charismatic characters;
Both series are full of action and military themes and MCs doing undercover works, they start off pretty weak and generic but they become great tales as the story progresses.
- Smart, cool, badass and OP protagonists;
- Beautiful and strong female leads;
- Similar genres (Action, Supernatural, Fantasy);
- Large cast of characters;
- Lots of info dumps;
- Complex and well-detailed world buildings;
Both series usually revolve around fights, battles and competitions that require intelligence, strength and strategy for most of the time, both series tend to focus a lot on the protagonist more than any other character and there's also a little bit of fanservice/male gaze here and there every once in a while.
Both are about students at Magic schools who are marked as failures but are actually quite strong due to unique abilities. They each have a younger sister who adores her older brother and also have a female lead that is marked as exceptional yet is not as strong or loses to the main character.
Both have an extremely powerful main characters whom decide to hide their true power, both have a harem like setting, both happen within the confines of a school, and both of the light novels edge there way towards the main character participating in a tournament.
IF Shiki has close-range "death" attack, Tatsuya Shiba has the long-range version of it.
However, the relationship between characters is the main attraction of both series, not the action. Reading the Tatsuya x Miyuki scenes gives me the same warm and relax feeling as when i read the Shiki x Acruied or Shiki x Akiha scenes.
The main characer in MknR - Tatsuya is a family man, just like Shiki. He will do what he must to keep his love one from harm.
Even if he has to "break the law"!!!
Fun fact: "Shiki" and "Shiba" both means "death".
The mc in both are both overpowered and have been involved in traumatic stuff however both are inept to a degree while both mc's have a little sister that loves them and are considered geniuses in their school and in both cases the siblings just got reunited again after a forced separation. In Elysion's case unlike mahouka however the incest bond between the siblings is quite close to real. (Actually I don't know in mahouka since I haven't caught up but judging by the pics it hasn't happened).
Both are exciting reads for me personally because they have a lot of science behind it. So you'll frequently find plenty of technical information in it that makes sense in theory but probably wouldn't work in real life. But then again, since when do we look at real life in manga? ^^