Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2021 11:08 AM

Jul 2014
In episode 6, the crew minus Shadow is all skating towards the beach. From the scene, it looks like Reki is the only one riding an actual skateboard. To me, Joe is riding a cruiser board. Miya is riding what looks to be pennyboard. Cherry and Langa look to riding a longboard.

Now if we take into consideration of the downhill skateboarding race at "S" then it seems like this anime has longboard elements as well. Remember ADAM dancing on his skateboard before doing the Love Hug?

I just thought it was interesting how this anime fuses both elements of skateboarding, with the falls and scrapes, but also longboarding in the downhill race, but also prominently in Langa and Cherry's board design.

Would you like to see more skateboard or longboard elements in this anime?

What are your thoughts?

SekaisoFeb 15, 2021 11:15 AM
Feb 15, 2021 9:17 PM
Apr 2020
All of the boards are based on some irl designs for the most part. Reki has a classic street deck, Miya has a freestyle board and does freestyle tricks, Langa’s board is similar to companies such as Freebord which create snowboarding boards for street, Cherry’s board represents electric boards, Adam has a dancing longboard, and Joe seems to have something like a carving board, which was invented for surfers to warm up and practice pumping on while waiting for the waves to get good.

Skateboarding has evolved past just classic skate decks, and I’m glad that there are many aspects of it being included, such as downhill, freestyle, dancing, carving, and typical street. Of course, a lot of the physics are greatly exaggerated, such as the fact that no typical skateboard could beat a longboard in a downhill race under normal circumstances, but it’s anime so who gives a care. I don’t see skateboarding and longboarding as mutually exclusive, and so I think that the uniqueness that comes from incorporating both makes the show more interesting and inclusive.
Feb 18, 2021 7:42 AM
Nov 2020
itsshoj said:
All of the boards are based on some irl designs for the most part. Reki has a classic street deck, Miya has a freestyle board and does freestyle tricks, Langa’s board is similar to companies such as Freebord which create snowboarding boards for street, Cherry’s board represents electric boards, Adam has a dancing longboard, and Joe seems to have something like a carving board, which was invented for surfers to warm up and practice pumping on while waiting for the waves to get good.

Skateboarding has evolved past just classic skate decks, and I’m glad that there are many aspects of it being included, such as downhill, freestyle, dancing, carving, and typical street. Of course, a lot of the physics are greatly exaggerated, such as the fact that no typical skateboard could beat a longboard in a downhill race under normal circumstances, but it’s anime so who gives a care. I don’t see skateboarding and longboarding as mutually exclusive, and so I think that the uniqueness that comes from incorporating both makes the show more interesting and inclusive.

Well said. Couldnt agree more.
Apr 11, 2021 8:03 PM

May 2010
Sekaiso said:

Yeah, I've been thinking about this, too! I noticed Joe's got shark wheels as well. Thanks for sharing this screenshot, I didn't notice Miya was skating a penny here but I think you're right.

Having such a mix of boards and styles featured in the show was really fun to watch. I hope it doesn't end up confusing new skaters too much, though. (I'm pretty sure there's going to be at least a handful of people who want to start skating bc they watched SK8, or were maybe thinking about it before and will now feel the push to act on that curiosity.) I have been skating a surfskate/cruiser for a while now but I will confess, SK8 has gotten me excited to learn more about street skating tricks and the history of skateboarding. I also enjoyed matching up what I know to what was shown in the anime, what kinds of things were exaggerated in an anime/sports fiction fashion, and what they got right/clearly put in the research on. For example, I know some longboarders do really like to skate in the rain and get that slick speed, but hooh man, I wish the show mentioned it's terrible for your wheel bearings! I guess the people who do that accept the loss and just replace them more often, but for beginners it would suck not know that getting your board wet comes at the cost of ruining your bearings faster. Overall I am far from being an expert but I think it was really cool how many things the show demonstrated that they took the time to learn about different boards and skating styles, skate culture, etc.

itsshoj said:

Yo, thanks for sharing! I've never heard of Freebord before, I had no idea snowboarding-style skateboards were a real thing. Also, pointing out that Cherry's board represents electric boards made me remember, yes, electric boards are a thing. With the Carla AI silliness I didn't pick up on it having even a little basis in reality. Even as a fictional concept, I thought it was a pretty neat idea that Cherry's board could transform to adjust its length. (I forget if it was like, a street-sized skateboard turning into a longboard or a longboard becoming even longer? I guess I will have to rewatch that episode lol)
Apr 19, 2021 9:13 AM

Jun 2011
I'm just wondering what are those boards with the slightly slopey designs that Reki and Langa have. They look and must feel quite nice but I've never seen such designs in real life. Does anyone know?

In comparison none of the boards irl look like that:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shutterstock.com%2Fsearch%2Fskateboard%2Bside%2Bview&psig=AOvVaw1WL90g7c5ABvJDEOG0vZ2Y&ust=1618935469913000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCICm2OXaivACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAV
BlobikiApr 19, 2021 9:19 AM
Apr 24, 2021 1:17 PM

Mar 2014
Blobiki said:
I'm just wondering what are those boards with the slightly slopey designs that Reki and Langa have. They look and must feel quite nice but I've never seen such designs in real life. Does anyone know?

In comparison none of the boards irl look like that:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shutterstock.com%2Fsearch%2Fskateboard%2Bside%2Bview&psig=AOvVaw1WL90g7c5ABvJDEOG0vZ2Y&ust=1618935469913000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCICm2OXaivACFQAAAAAdAAAAABAV

they do. they just drawn the concave really badly in half the scenes in this anime.

most decks look like they bend down before the nose and tail. but thats an illusion cause the sides of the board are actually curved upward.

M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Apr 24, 2021 2:17 PM

Jan 2020
I don't care. Bones's visuals still look good in that screenshot either way

Sep 23, 2021 9:48 PM

Nov 2015
Joe's board has Shark Wheels.

Old_School_AkiraSep 23, 2021 9:51 PM
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Sep 24, 2021 2:50 PM

Nov 2015
Yeah Langa's board looks like a Freeboard for sure, or inspired by it.

HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jul 28, 2023 5:14 AM
Jul 2023
I am looking for some longboard/skateboard wall mounting ideas if anyone knows any good tips?
I found those sources quite useful but seeking more ideas:
Longboard hanger
Longboard mounting

More topics from this board

» Langa's relationship with reki ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - May 7, 2022

65 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 10, 3:11 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

147 by Tobimaroo »»
Mar 4, 5:21 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2021

142 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 31, 4:58 AM

Poll: » SK∞ Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

210 by Tobimaroo »»
Jan 30, 4:56 AM

» SK8 the Infinity Event & Bucchigiri!?

OnlyAraku - Dec 31, 2023

8 by OnlyAraku »»
Jan 9, 12:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.