Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2017 4:02 AM
Jun 2016
Ok, so I watched welcome to the NHK about a month ago or something. And I gave it a 10 out of 10 but ... one tiny thing has been bugging me. At two points, Satou is at the brink of suicide. The first time, after a big emotion speech by Misaki telling him not to die. he says "I'll die for you". The second time, he decides the same thing at complete random. Can someone please explain how any of this made sense. At first I though it'd be just his sanity dropping from extended isolation but I doubt it'd be something so cheap. SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS IT PLEASE EXPLAIN. Why does Satou view dying for Misaki as in any way, a conceivable reason? Why would he think it benefits her for him to die and WHY is it his response after having his importance insisted upon by Misaki?
Dec 30, 2018 1:11 PM

Jan 2016
It kind of saddens me that no one answered this for you. But I always saw it as a self sacrifice to prove to Misaki that he really cared for her. Not only was she the only person he told about the NHK but he saw her as the one person besides himself who needed to know of it's existence (even if it's just a delusion). With that she would be able to blame everything on the NHK and not herself because if you think about it it's much easier to find a scapegoat for your problems.

Also Satou felt guilty for rejecting her thinking that she didn't need him when in fact he was the one person she needed the most. Him killing himself would've shown her that the NHK was real by going to such lengths and also showing that he really loved her. Thus destroying the cause of her pain. In Satou's mind this would've killed two birds with one stone. Of course to us and Misaki this comes of as really foolish and stupid but think about the type of character Satou is. He's selfish, easily manipulated and he's not mentally stable so in his mind this might've come off as a heroic act but in reality it was just really dumb. This is shown after Misaki helps him off the cliff and starts hilariously beating him.

I hope that cleared up any confusion. I was pretty confused by the ending myself the first time I watched it. But after a few years of thinking on it, reading the novel and rewatching the series a few times I finally understood why he went to such idiotic lengths.
corinthians98Dec 30, 2018 1:25 PM
Dec 30, 2018 1:20 PM

Jan 2016
Tenderizer17 said:
At two points, Satou is at the brink of suicide. The first time, after a big emotion speech by Misaki telling him not to die. he says "I'll die for you".?

Also during the suicide pact arc Satou wanted to kill himself becasue he found out Hitomi was getting engaged thus shattering the future with her he created in his head. This bummed him out so much that once he found out he decided to jump. I think you might've remembered the scene wrong so I'll link to it. It happens around 7:35
Apr 21, 2019 8:33 PM

May 2018
Corinthians98 said:
Tenderizer17 said:
At two points, Satou is at the brink of suicide. The first time, after a big emotion speech by Misaki telling him not to die. he says "I'll die for you".?

Also during the suicide pact arc Satou wanted to kill himself becasue he found out Hitomi was getting engaged thus shattering the future with her he created in his head. This bummed him out so much that once he found out he decided to jump. I think you might've remembered the scene wrong so I'll link to it. It happens around 7:35

I also feel like this was much more of an "in the heat of the moment" thing, also what else you said applies

More topics from this board

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

DarkBlue - Feb 7, 2008

113 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:27 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kie_ - Sep 4, 2008

114 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 3:08 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Juliab - Mar 7, 2008

164 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:38 AM

Poll: » Welcome to the NHK Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Aug 20, 2008

123 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:23 AM

Poll: » NHK ni Youkoso! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkBlue - Feb 6, 2008

215 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 1:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.