Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 21, 2013 12:49 PM

Jul 2013
I want to know what you guys think the best RPGs are for the PS3. I've been looking for some new ones, but lately I feel like I've played all the good ones.
Jul 21, 2013 12:56 PM

Apr 2011
Demon's/Dark Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Ni no Kuni
Fallout 3
Dragons Dogma
Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2
NIER(barely an RPG, but it is technically an action RPG)

Once it comes out I'm positive Dragons Crown will be more then worthy of this list. Personally I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are EASILY the best RPGs on the system.
Jul 21, 2013 1:20 PM

Nov 2008
Tales of Graces F, Xillia 1 & 2, Trinity Universe, Atelier Meruru and Ayesha

Jul 21, 2013 2:01 PM

Feb 2013
Disgaea 4 and Fallout 3: New Vegas
Jul 21, 2013 2:21 PM

Feb 2013
Dark Souls
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Graces f
Eternal Sonata
Final Fantasy XIII
Resonance of Fate
Darksiders
NIER
Dragon Fantasy
Jul 21, 2013 2:23 PM

Jun 2007
Atelier Ayesha (along with the Arland trilogy of course)
Tales of Graces F
- - Xillia
Valkyria Chronicles
FF13
NIER
Jul 21, 2013 2:26 PM

May 2010
Call of duty Series
Jul 21, 2013 8:49 PM

Nov 2012
Disgaea, Tales of, and Atelier are my top 3 favorite JRPG series.
Jul 21, 2013 9:20 PM

Jan 2008
As much as I enjoyed the Atelier Arland series and what I have played of Ayesha so far, I wouldn't call them that great, especially with the battle system of theirs.

My pick would probably go to Tales of Grace F and Dark Souls, at least out of the JRPG's I've played for the PS3. I found Star Ocean 4 pretty nice too but I think people disliked it.

Still got a few JRPG's to come though so never know. Worst JRPG for the PS3 I've played though has been Time and Eternity which was released last week. :)
Jul 21, 2013 9:31 PM

Dec 2012
Fallout 3
Jul 21, 2013 9:40 PM

Jun 2007
Paul said:
As much as I enjoyed the Atelier Arland series and what I have played of Ayesha so far, I wouldn't call them that great, especially with the battle system of theirs.

Then don't battle. You literally don't have to ever aside the tutorial. That's one of the awesome things about the game, you play however the hell you want and the game doesn't penalize you for it, it's made that way on purpose. Hell, Ayesha doesn't even have a single bad end and the Arland games only had you fail if you didn't do a certain item in x amount of time, which only involved a forced few battles to open up new areas.

The focus is the item synthesizing, not the combat. If the combat bugs you just don't do it, it's a legitimate way of playing the games - they were made to be open to whatever play style, especially Ayesha. Hell, they even made the Ayesha boss pretty easy so that if you're underleveled you can still beat it- while the truly challenging fights are optional side missions. The combat in these games is only something you have to deal with if you're interested in the full experience and like 100%ing it. Otherwise you can play and enjoy by sitting on your ass in the workshop and just selling what you make to buy more ingredients.

And for the record, I love the combat system - not so much in Arland where it was alright (though especially clunky and slow in Rorona), but in Ayesha it's very smooth and fun for me. Having items you made blow bitches up while you take no damage thanks to the armor you craftedt, all the while Linca smashes shit up with the sword you synthed into the best weapon in the game for her is a great feeling. It was also incredibly responsive this time around.
TallonKarrde23Jul 21, 2013 9:45 PM
Jul 21, 2013 9:43 PM

Jan 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:

Then don't battle. You literally don't have to ever aside the tutorial. That's one of the awesome things about the game, you play however the hell you want and the game doesn't penalize you for it, it's made that way on purpose. Hell, Ayesha doesn't even have a single bad end and the Arland games only had you fail if you didn't do a certain item in x amount of time, which only involved a forced few battles to open up new areas.

The focus is the item synthesizing, not the combat. If the combat bugs you just don't do it, it's a legitimate way of playing the games - they were made to be open to whatever play style, especially Ayesha. Hell, they even made the Ayesha boss pretty easy so that if you're underleveled you can still beat it- while the truly challenging fights are optional side missions.

Well if we take the battles out, it wouldn't exactly be an RPG now would it?
Jul 21, 2013 9:45 PM

Jun 2007
Paul said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:

The focus is the item synthesizing, not the combat. If the combat bugs you just don't do it, it's a legitimate way of playing the games - they were made to be open to whatever play style, especially Ayesha. Hell, they even made the Ayesha boss pretty easy so that if you're underleveled you can still beat it- while the truly challenging fights are optional side missions.

The game has plenty of combat in it for those who want it. If you choose not to do them it doesn't change what the game is or what it contains.

You were whining about the combat being shit, I'm telling you you can avoid it because clearly you weren't aware of that. Your response is kind of irrelevant. It's classification/genre has nothing to do with telling you the game allows you to play however you like and avoid anything you don't like. Not to mention having the option to do or not do something doesn't really relate to what you said about it magically not being an RPG if you chose not to fight things.
TallonKarrde23Jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM
Jul 21, 2013 9:50 PM

Jan 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:

The game has plenty of combat in it for those who want it. If you choose not to do them it doesn't change what the game is or what it contains.

You were whining about the combat being shit, I'm telling you you can avoid it because clearly you weren't aware of that. Your response is kind of irrelevant. It's classification/genre has nothing to do with telling you the game allows you to play however you like and avoid anything you don't like. Not to mention having the option to do or not do something doesn't really relate to what you said.

Wasn't calling it shit, was stating it's not the 'best'.
Jul 21, 2013 9:52 PM

Jun 2007
Paul said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:

You were whining about the combat being shit, I'm telling you you can avoid it because clearly you weren't aware of that. Your response is kind of irrelevant. It's classification/genre has nothing to do with telling you the game allows you to play however you like and avoid anything you don't like. Not to mention having the option to do or not do something doesn't really relate to what you said.

And, just like your last response, how is that relevant?

Apparently you couldn't read it, maybe a glitch on the site, so here you go again;

The game has plenty of combat in it for those who want it. If you choose not to do them it doesn't change what the game is or what it contains - [it is still an RPG].

You [mentioned] the combat being [not the best], I'm telling you you can avoid it because clearly you weren't aware of that.
Jul 21, 2013 9:54 PM

Jan 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:

And, just like your last response, how is that relevant?

Apparently you couldn't read it, maybe a glitch on the site, so here you go again;

The game has plenty of combat in it for those who want it. If you choose not to do them it doesn't change what the game is or what it contains - [it is still an RPG].

You [mentioned]the combat being [not the best], I'm telling you you can avoid it because clearly you weren't aware of that.

Which brings back my previous response, if I don't factor in the battles, then it isn't really it loses that RPG factor. And from what I can remember from Meruru, the Atelier game I actually bothered to do more than one playthrough, bosses wouldn't just let you ignore them.
Jul 21, 2013 10:05 PM

Jun 2007
Paul said:

Which brings back my previous response, if I don't factor in the battles, then it isn't really it loses that RPG factor. And from what I can remember from Meruru, the Atelier game I actually bothered to do more than one playthrough, bosses wouldn't just let you ignore them.

I pretty clearly said that "the Arland games only had you fail if you didn't do a certain item in x amount of time, which only involved a forced few battles" . Note the "forced few battles" part.

Ayesha, however, has zero forced battles to beat it. There are no bosses unless you choose to go fight them, so yes, they can be ignored. Actually, you can ignore them in the Arland games as well if you simply go for a different ending than the True End.

And you 'factoring in the battles' or not doesn't change what RPG means. It doesn't mean combat. Or are you implying MMORPGs where you can do nothing but craft or mine, or whatever, suddenly is just an MMOnotrpgatall? Fighting is not a necessity in an RPG - at least not in the modern video game usage of the term. Role Playing does not mean you are punching enemies in the face. It's a staple of the genre, not a necessity. Hell, you can play even western RPGs without fighting almost anything if you want to, those are still RPGs.

MORE importantly - who the fuck cares if you think it's an RPG or not? You weren't asking for RPGs - the OP was - I was telling you, yeah YOU personally, that if YOU don't like the combat YOU can simply not do it and YOU can enjoy the rest of the game without fighting anything. So your whole "b-b-b-b-but its not an RPG anymore then" argument is pretty fucking immensely irrelevant to anything.

Fact:
1. The game is an RPG. No matter how you play it, this does not change what the game is by definition. You might view it as not playing it as an RPG, however the game is still factually an RPG - this is not opinion, not up for debate. The game is labelled and sold as a Role Playing Game. You not doing an aspect that you believe makes an RPG does not make it less of an RPG.

2. You factually can play the games without fighting anything aside the tutorial monsters. Outside of that you can aim for a different ending and not do any combat, or even do a bare minimum of fighting to still beat most of them. Totori would be the only exception as the final boss in that is rather difficult, especially if you aren't high level - though, this is also only half true. You can defeat almost any enemy in the game with high-level synthesized items alone. You can literally do no combat aside bosses yet still defeat all of them easily as long as you (which you would by that point) know how the hell synthing works to get the best possible stuff.

3. There are no 'bosses' in the usual sense - they are all optional technically because none are forced onto you to progress in the game. So yes, all the bosses ignore you, unless you choose to go fight them. None invade the town and combat you themselves ever in any Atelier game in the entire franchise. Even if you go into the field to gather, bosses are blatantly obvious and do not move - so you can walk right by them and, if they block a path, simply don't go that way.

So, overall, this is a recommendation that works for what the OP is asking.

I was going out of my way to help you and let you know you don't have to fight if you hate the combat. Thanks for turning it into an argument instead, I didn't imagine people would get defensive over any replies to themselves. I'll try to remember you'll take any posts in your direction as an attack in the future, I meant no harm.
TallonKarrde23Jul 21, 2013 10:13 PM
Jul 21, 2013 11:18 PM

Jan 2008
Sorry, was watching something.

TallonKarrde23 said:
Paul said:

I pretty clearly said that "the Arland games only had you fail if you didn't do a certain item in x amount of time, which only involved a forced few battles" . Note the "forced few battles" part.[/url]

And you 'factoring in the battles' or not doesn't change what RPG means. It doesn't mean combat. Or are you implying MMORPGs where you can do nothing but craft or mine, or whatever, suddenly is just an MMOnotrpgatall? Fighting is not a necessity in an RPG - at least not in the modern video game usage of the term. Role Playing does not mean you are punching enemies in the face. It's a staple of the genre, not a necessity. Hell, you can play even western RPGs without fighting almost anything if you want to, those are still RPGs.

MORE importantly - who the fuck cares if you think it's an RPG or not? You weren't asking for RPGs - the OP was - I was telling you, yeah YOU personally, that if YOU don't like the combat YOU can simply not do it and YOU can enjoy the rest of the game without fighting anything. So your whole "b-b-b-b-but its not an RPG anymore then" argument is pretty fucking immensely irrelevant to anything.

It seems you've cared enough based on the size of this post. The OP was asking for a RPG yea, but the question and argument about the Atelier battles was between you and me. Me saying to factor out the battles was me saying that'd defeat the purpose of the RPG elements in the game, of course it's not gonna change its entire genre. To me it was basically like you saying that you go around playing FPS games knifing only, which defeats the purpose of a shooter game. Of course the Atelier games aren't gonna lose the RPG genre if you choose to avoid all the fights possible but it sure as heck is gonna lack that RPG feel (unless you're the kind of player doing it on purpose to make the game difficult).

Fact:
1. The game is an RPG. No matter how you play it, this does not change what the game is by definition. You might view it as not playing it as an RPG, however the game is still factually an RPG - this is not opinion, not up for debate. The game is labelled and sold as a Role Playing Game. You not doing an aspect that you believe makes an RPG does not make it less of an RPG.

2. You factually can play the games without fighting anything aside the tutorial monsters. Outside of that you can aim for a different ending and not do any combat, or even do a bare minimum of fighting to still beat most of them. Totori would be the only exception as the final boss in that is rather difficult, especially if you aren't high level - though, this is also only half true. You can defeat almost any enemy in the game with high-level synthesized items alone. You can literally do no combat aside bosses yet still defeat all of them easily as long as you (which you would by that point) know how the hell synthing works to get the best possible stuff.

3. There are no 'bosses' in the usual sense - they are all optional technically because none are forced onto you to progress in the game. So yes, all the bosses ignore you, unless you choose to go fight them. None invade the town and combat you themselves ever in any Atelier game in the entire franchise. Even if you go into the field to gather, bosses are blatantly obvious and do not move - so you can walk right by them and, if they block a path, simply don't go that way.

1. Above.
2 & 3. I apologies as I've only done casual playthroughs of every Atelier game and never bothered too look up a guide or assistance on synthesizing gears/items to make bosses easier. I didn't even know if there were endings that didn't include having to fight bosses let alone being able to avoid most fights in the first place and I'm sure anyone who attempts playing a first time casual playthrough wouldn't either.

So, overall, this is a recommendation that works for what the OP is asking.

I was going out of my way to help you and let you know you don't have to fight if you hate the combat. Thanks for turning it into an argument instead, I didn't imagine people would get defensive over any replies to themselves. I'll try to remember you'll take any posts in your direction as an attack in the future, I meant no harm.

Appears you misunderstood me. I never said anywhere that I hated the combat system.
PaulJul 21, 2013 11:24 PM
Jul 22, 2013 12:48 AM

Jan 2008
Well this question might be out of place but all this discusion actually made me want to check out the Atelier series. And the question is - is the plot continuitive? That is do I have to play all 14 games in the series to understand it or every game is a stand alone series and I will not lose much by skipping some of them. Going through all 14 games seems a bit overwhelming but if it's not the case maybe you could tell me which is is currently the best in the series or which one would be best to start the series off?
Jul 22, 2013 12:50 AM

Aug 2009
Jak3 said:
Fallout 3

Wait. Games developed by Bethesda actually work on the PS3?

Since when, and after how many patches?

Jul 22, 2013 3:24 AM
May 2011
Tales of graces, mass effect series, dragon age origins
Jul 22, 2013 9:06 AM

Jul 2013
I've played all of these games with the exception of Trinity Universe which I heard was awful, but perhaps I'll give it a go anyways. My top 5 PS3 RPGs would have to be:
Ni No Kuni
Tales of Graces f
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International Edition
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Resonance of Fate
Jul 22, 2013 10:48 AM

Feb 2013
-DevinTownsend- said:
Jak3 said:
Fallout 3

The only Bethesda game that ever had trouble on PS3 was Skyrim, and it only took one patch to fix it.
Jul 22, 2013 11:13 AM

Apr 2011
The lack of people suggesting Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is sad. I hope you've played those OP, if not they should be high priority. You can find them cheap. Some of the best games I've played this gen.
Jul 22, 2013 11:47 AM

Jul 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
The lack of people suggesting Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is sad. I hope you've played those OP, if not they should be high priority. You can find them cheap. Some of the best games I've played this gen.

I have played both already, I think a lot of people probably played but not enough to suggest because a lot of people quit before finishing due to the difficulty.
Jul 22, 2013 2:00 PM

Feb 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I think the problem is that you're putting those games way too high on a pedestal because they aren't that good, they're not bad by any means, but they suffer from a lot of design flaws that hold them back from greatness, that being said I still had a lot of fun with Dark Souls, I've only played a little bit of Demon's Souls.
Jul 22, 2013 2:21 PM

Apr 2011
deadjames said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
I think the problem is that you're putting those games way too high on a pedestal because they aren't that good, they're not bad by any means, but they suffer from a lot of design flaws that hold them back from greatness, that being said I still had a lot of fun with Dark Souls, I've only played a little bit of Demon's Souls.

What design flaws? I know they aren't perfect, but no game is. Most of the issues people have are more personal preference, like how it doesn't hold your hand(gameplay wise and story wise).
FintanJul 22, 2013 2:24 PM
Jul 22, 2013 2:53 PM

Jan 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

Oh yea I loved Demon's Souls, it actually gives you a real challenge. It's very dark though, but I liked that about it.

Aside from that euhm my collection is scarce but I also liked Fallout : New Vegas and Final Fantasy ;D
Jul 22, 2013 2:59 PM

Aug 2009
deadjames said:
-DevinTownsend- said:
Jak3 said:
Fallout 3

The only Bethesda game that ever had trouble on PS3 was Skyrim, and it only took one patch to fix it.

And the DLC taking a while to get on PSN, even if after the timed exclusivity on 360...

Jul 22, 2013 5:54 PM

Feb 2013
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:
deadjames said:
TinkleTinkle-Hoy said:

What design flaws? I know they aren't perfect, but no game is. Most of the issues people have are more personal preference, like how it doesn't hold your hand(gameplay wise and story wise).
Well I have to mainly refer to Dark Souls because I haven't played much of Demon's Souls, but certain parts of the game (mainly Blighttown) suffer from massive slow down, and while it's true the game doesn't hold your hand, it's not as hard as most people make it out to be any seasoned gamer would be able to learn very quickly how to manipulate the system and breeze through just like any other RPG, and my final problem with it is that it lacks polish, it is extremely glitchy and I feel like they could've put a little more effort into fixing a lot of the glitches.
Jul 23, 2013 3:04 AM

May 2013
Dark Souls
Agarest series
Ni No Kuni
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Tales of Graces
Disgaea 4

I really don't understand why you RPG fans like the Atelier series so much...you can't grind, the playing time is rushed and all...
Jul 23, 2013 1:03 PM

Feb 2013
teddygamer said:
Dark Souls
Agarest series
Ni No Kuni
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Tales of Graces
Disgaea 4

I really don't understand why you RPG fans like the Atelier series so much...you can't grind, the playing time is rushed and all...
I wonder that same thing, I think the Atelier series is terrible.
Jul 23, 2013 3:03 PM
Jul 2013
thanks for sharing brilliant post.. I love it
http://www.ccolumns.com

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 9 hours ago

0 by johnsrp »»
9 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
10 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 PM

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:59 PM

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 5:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.