Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2009 9:03 AM

Jul 2007
The title speaks for itself.

I just finished Jouka no Monshou. I liked it, but due to the game's VERY short length and abundance of action it felt like playing just the climax of a much longer story. It would probably have been better to watch the movie it is based on first, but the game was still enjoyable.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 23, 2009 11:52 PM

Dec 2007
I finished Planetarian.

Probably Key's shortest visual novel but for three hours of play time the impact is incredible.

;_;
Aug 24, 2009 12:24 AM

Dec 2007
Saya no Uta.

I absolutely loved Koji's ending, I still can't get over it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2009 9:36 PM

Nov 2007
Just finished Umineko, gotta say I'm pretty let down after seeing the 9.50 average rating on VNDB, but it's still a good game nonetheless. Next up is either Tenshi no Inai Juunigatsu or Hitogata Ruin
Aug 31, 2009 8:37 AM

Nov 2007
Well, both of my prior predictions were off mark. I ended up playing If it is clear weather tomorrow after testing it out for a bit. It's the best Nakige I've played in a long time, even if some of the plot is quite predictable.

Next, I'll probably play Cross Channel while constantly grinding my teeth reminding myself how it's suppose to turn into a brilliant masterpiece later on. If my willpower doesn't last me that far, well, I still got Scarlett and about a dozen games lined up.
Sep 4, 2009 1:13 AM

Dec 2007
Finished Princess Waltz.

I really don't see why people like it so much. I mean it's good for a first time VN but the story was pretty mediocre. Well that's just my opinion anyway.

Next I'm gonna quickly get through Planetarian and then head on to Cross Channel.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 3:48 AM
Apr 2007
Saya no uta.

I'll quote myself from another forum:

Absolutely brilliant.
Sep 4, 2009 2:51 PM

Oct 2007
Recently finished Narcissu. It was nice.

Sep 4, 2009 2:55 PM

Nov 2007
Ketuekigami said:
Finished Princess Waltz.

I really don't see why people like it so much. I mean it's good for a first time VN but the story was pretty mediocre. Well that's just my opinion anyway.

Next I'm gonna quickly get through Planetarian and then head on to Cross Channel.

It depends on how you define "mediocre." Compared to famous games like Clannad or Tsukihime, Princess Waltz doesn't hold a lot of depth: There's a reason that they only come around once every couple of years. However, compared to a good majority of eroge out there, it'll still be considered a quality release that features a decent story packaged with excellent production value. Personally, I thought it's better than Tears to Tiara and lump it together with Utaware, as games with decent storyline, excellent production value, and very disappointing gameplay.

I am strongly considering dropping Cross Channel. Currently, I am on Week 2, and I can sum up the few hours of the game in 1 sentence. "Kurosu sexually harasses everyone he sees in a world where everyone else disappeared." No amount of allusions and literary techniques can save that sorry excuse of a story line. I keep hearing that it gets better, but then I always held some doubt regarding games that makes you go through dozens of hours to get to the good part. My guess is that I'll still finish the game; the game will get better eventually; but it'll never reach the amount of awesomeness that these rave reviews give it credit for, if Umineko is any indication. It reminds me of Haruhi with its pretentious crap and "novel" presentation; ironically, most people would probably consider that a compliment.
Sep 10, 2009 4:21 AM

Dec 2007
I just found it impossible to take anything in it serious even when i could tell it was trying to be that way. But anyway, moving on...

Just finished Planetarian ~the reverie of a little planet~

I had underestimated Key in their ability to tell a different kind of story. A very outstanding VN.
Sep 10, 2009 4:37 AM

Aug 2006
Shinkenshi said:
I am strongly considering dropping Cross Channel. Currently, I am on Week 2, and I can sum up the few hours of the game in 1 sentence. "Kurosu sexually harasses everyone he sees in a world where everyone else disappeared." No amount of allusions and literary techniques can save that sorry excuse of a story line. I keep hearing that it gets better, but then I always held some doubt regarding games that makes you go through dozens of hours to get to the good part. My guess is that I'll still finish the game; the game will get better eventually; but it'll never reach the amount of awesomeness that these rave reviews give it credit for, if Umineko is any indication. It reminds me of Haruhi with its pretentious crap and "novel" presentation; ironically, most people would probably consider that a compliment.

Speaking of which, I just finished Cross Channel. Yup, you really need to finish the whole thing to get the most out of it. Personally, I think it picks up a lot at week 3.

Also, you forget that the main reason this game is rated so highly is because of the writing. I definitely would have to say, if the writing was like every other VN out there I would probably not like it.

I mean, there are lots of famous books and poems that have little story in them but are still regarded highly because of the writing!

Seriously, I can list plenty of stories we've had to read in school where in reality, nothing of interest happens except maybe at the end (ex. The Great Gatsby), but they are rated highly for other reasons, such as writing or characters.

You are only seeing one angle. The story. A good plot is only one part of a good novel. If the characters are horrible or the writing was written as if a 5th grader wrote it, then it's no good.

(btw, the ending of cross channel had me in tears. I admit it.)
Sep 10, 2009 8:31 AM

Nov 2007
I'm not trying to belittle the work Amaterasu did, but I'm not sure how much "awesome writing" gets across when translated to another language. It's like reading Shakespeare in Chinese or Japanese. I'd play the game in its original language, but my Japanese isn't sharp enough to even read a short piece of Doujin in many occasions.
The single biggest glaring bias I have against the game right now is that I absolutely cannot stand Taichi's character. *I* am suppose to be the one making choices in an eroge, not some fag that fucks a girl senseless and force her to perform a blowjob while she's unconscious. There better be a VERY good reason why Taichi was chosen as the protagonist, because the game is temporarily stalled until I finish H2O (and on the verge of being dropped, rave reviews or god tier or otherwise).
Sep 10, 2009 10:29 AM

Aug 2006
Shinkenshi said:
I'm not trying to belittle the work Amaterasu did, but I'm not sure how much "awesome writing" gets across when translated to another language. It's like reading Shakespeare in Chinese or Japanese. I'd play the game in its original language, but my Japanese isn't sharp enough to even read a short piece of Doujin in many occasions.
The single biggest glaring bias I have against the game right now is that I absolutely cannot stand Taichi's character. *I* am suppose to be the one making choices in an eroge, not some fag that fucks a girl senseless and force her to perform a blowjob while she's unconscious. There better be a VERY good reason why Taichi was chosen as the protagonist, because the game is temporarily stalled until I finish H2O (and on the verge of being dropped, rave reviews or god tier or otherwise).

I dunno, I think

Also, Cross Channel should be seen from a 3rd person point of view. The choices you make don't really affect much since you can never get a bad end, it just repeats the week over.

Anyway, you should read the whole thing before judging it. It's like reading the first chapter of a book and saying, "this is shit" when, just one chapter after it, it starts to get interesting.
zonnikkuSep 10, 2009 11:58 AM
Sep 10, 2009 11:34 AM

Nov 2007
Thanks for the spoiler. If you're going to use it might as well use it on the whole thing. Putting a spoiler around what happened to Taichi then talking about how a kid can be sexually abused in real life kind of defeats the purpose of a spoiler.

I don't really care why he's messed up in the head. My point is, so far, I hate the protagonist. That's not a good sign.

The reason I said I might be dropping it is because I heard that it's suppose to "get better after Week 1." So far, it's gotten worse. Same thing happened to Umineko. When I was on Episode 1, people said it'll pick up after Episode 2. When I got there, everyone's like, "the action picks up at the next Episode." This continued up until I finished all 4 episodes. While it did indeed get better, I was so let down in the end that the slight improvement didn't do much to improve the this overwhelming urge to scream OVERRATED. So far, Cross Channel is faring even worse; at least Umineko improved little by little as it went on, not vice versa.

I'm not saying it won't get better. I'm saying that if I have to go through something like Touko's route 3 or 4 more times, I won't care if it gets better. As far as I know, Week 2 is about a quarter of the way through the game, a far cry from "reading the first chapter of a book."
Sep 10, 2009 11:58 AM

Aug 2006
Shinkenshi said:
Thanks for the spoiler. If you're going to use it might as well use it on the whole thing. Putting a spoiler around what happened to Taichi then talking about how a kid can be sexually abused in real life kind of defeats the purpose of a spoiler.

I don't really care why he's messed up in the head. My point is, so far, I hate the protagonist. That's not a good sign.

The reason I said I might be dropping it is because I heard that it's suppose to "get better after Week 1." So far, it's gotten worse. Same thing happened to Umineko. When I was on Episode 1, people said it'll pick up after Episode 2. When I got there, everyone's like, "the action picks up at the next Episode." This continued up until I finished all 4 episodes. While it did indeed get better, I was so let down in the end that the slight improvement didn't do much to improve the this overwhelming urge to scream OVERRATED. So far, Cross Channel is faring even worse; at least Umineko improved little by little as it went on, not vice versa.

I'm not saying it won't get better. I'm saying that if I have to go through something like Touko's route 3 or 4 more times, I won't care if it gets better. As far as I know, Week 2 is about a quarter of the way through the game, a far cry from "reading the first chapter of a book."

Oh shit, sorry about the spoiler. I was in a hurry and had to go somewhere so I posted that response up real fast. I didn't notice the latter wasn't in spoiler tags.

It's spoiler tagged now just in case someone else doesn't want to get spoiled.

Anyway, if you don't like it, that's fine. I probably just have a really high tolerance when it comes to reading stuff. Like, I'll be one of the few people in college that will read ahead a few weeks of the material because I'm bored or something or read a novel a day sometimes.

Still, I think you should finish Cross Channel just to say you've gone through it. Unless you really don't care how many VNs you've finished.
zonnikkuSep 10, 2009 12:04 PM
Sep 26, 2009 1:42 PM

Sep 2007
Flyable Heart

Sakurako and Suzuno's routes were great =3

Mayuri-san is my favorite character, but her route is just so... =/
Sep 29, 2009 1:02 PM

Aug 2006
Allen said:
Flyable Heart

Sakurako and Suzuno's routes were great =3

Mayuri-san is my favorite character, but her route is just so... =/

Akira needed a route. She (or he, depending on the form) was the only character that didn't act like a stereotype (Mayuri is the only other one that isn't too stereotypical, but I still didn't like her that much).
Oct 5, 2009 3:36 PM

Jun 2006
I just finished Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Onikakushi-hen. <3 I loved it! Amazing~ Made me fall in love with Keiichi again. xD

I want to read more Watanagashi-hen... =w=;;
Oct 11, 2009 9:12 PM
Apr 2007
Played through Tenshin Ranman.
Though pretty much your typical school-setting (with some fantasy mixed in) it started rather promising and I liked it a lot for about the first half or so. Then some people were starting to act out of character more and more and the whole bunkasai-premise was just bullshit; it became pretty much a boring mess. Also, while not as apparent in the beginning the protagonist was such a fuckin' whimsical idiot that I could hardly bare with him after a while (yet again, in the second half mainly) which pretty much destroyed any attachment to the other characters who (of course) all liked him for no apparent reason. I played it to the end for the heck of it - ending was pretty much more of the same (and pretty predictable) but at least it fit the overall tone of the VN.
It's a shame really, since it not only started out rather good but also had some of the highest production values I've seen so far. Backgrounds and characters looked great and it was the only game in 720p that I've played yet.
Verdict: Don't waste your time with this one.
Jan 27, 2010 1:01 PM

Sep 2009
Fading Hearts

I just finished the Non-H visual novel made by canadian developer Fading Hearts. Has no CGs, voices (of any sort) or H but the story was mediocre and the actual gameplay was interesting. It played more like a game where you buy items and level up certain attributes (kinda like sim date) not a horrible game and it is the first canadian visual novel and the future for the creators looks good. I've talked with them and they plan to do voices last but in the next game release they hope to have CGs. It was 20 dollars and although it wasn't great it wasn't horrible either. Kept me interested despite the lack of CGs, H, or voices.

Verdict: If you can find it for free check it out. If you like it and wish to contribute to the creators in the hope they continue making games (better than the previous ones with more and more content each time) then buy the game. It's from a new company from a non-japanese country. I thought they did a decent job. just be cautious.

If you wish to find out more search for Sakura River Interactive.
Mar 9, 2010 4:10 AM

May 2009
Last game I completed 100% was Symphonic Rain. Awesome VN.
Mar 15, 2010 2:55 PM
Mar 2009
Last and very first VN I finished was SAYA NO UTA... I didn't like it very much. :/
Mar 16, 2010 12:53 PM

Sep 2009
Saya no Uta is not the best to start out with (it is a niche title itself). Don't judge VNs on one alone there are multiple categories.

Anyway the last game I completed 100 percent was the absolutely horrible SMDoD (suck my dick or die). I am not a fan of sex romps (or rape VNs) but this was more horrible that I could have imagined. Bad translation did not help matters.

I also was playing Cosplay Alien but the lack of plot is boring me. It had potential. Still not a horrible sex romp just don't expect plot. Not completely finished yet but close enough.

I also am about halfway into Tears to Tiara which I am enjoying so far.

I plan to start Heartwork next (another supposedly less than good title)
Mar 18, 2010 12:28 AM

Mar 2009
Ever17

Currently reading through Fate/Stay Night and Wanko to Kurasou.
Mar 22, 2010 7:03 AM
Mar 2010
yesterday i finished sharin no kuni yuukyuu no shounen shoujo, what a fantastic novel, i DO love Sharin No Kuni
Mar 27, 2010 9:25 AM
Mar 2009
tasan said:
Saya no Uta is not the best to start out with (it is a niche title itself). Don't judge VNs on one alone there are multiple categories.

Anyway the last game I completed 100 percent was the absolutely horrible SMDoD (suck my dick or die). I am not a fan of sex romps (or rape VNs) but this was more horrible that I could have imagined. Bad translation did not help matters.

I also was playing Cosplay Alien but the lack of plot is boring me. It had potential. Still not a horrible sex romp just don't expect plot. Not completely finished yet but close enough.

I also am about halfway into Tears to Tiara which I am enjoying so far.

I plan to start Heartwork next (another supposedly less than good title)

No what I meant was it was the LAST eroge i've finsihed. I still play them.
I'm currently playing Yume Miru Kusuri, and so far it's been quite interesting. Next i'll probably play Tsukihime, fate/stay, and shuffle.

I'm really new to VN's.
Apr 1, 2010 4:24 PM

Sep 2009
Just finished Narcissu Side 2nd. I'm even more impressed than after the 1st one.
Sorry, can't write anything else at the moment... T_T

edit: All right, I'm collected now;) It's a heart-breaking, but also a heart-warming story at the same time. After some thought, I find it quite optimistic in the end, even despite all the sadness, life and death drama and terminal illness.

There are both Narcissus in this release, plus the epilogue for the original. It's only available after finishing both games, so make sure you at least skip through the 1st one. And for those who didn't play the original Narcissu yet - it might be a good idea to start with the Side 2nd. It's a prequel after all.
PablocApr 2, 2010 3:56 AM
Apr 2, 2010 11:16 PM

May 2009
Kashimashi Communication....
Apr 21, 2010 6:15 AM

Jun 2008
Last and very first VN I finished was DIVI-DEAD, it was really interesting though it could have been without those sex scenes ^^ and i dont know where to get more...
Apr 22, 2010 5:49 PM

Nov 2007
Just went through the Sharin no Kuni fandisc again in English this time. Not as awesome as the first half but makes the series more awesome as a whole
Apr 24, 2010 10:49 PM

Apr 2010
finally got all the good and bad endings in critical point :)
Its better to have burned out than to have never really shined...
Apr 26, 2010 5:41 AM
Apr 2010
just finished 100% "wanko to kurasou"

working my way though snow sakura now
May 2, 2010 1:18 AM

Apr 2010
Just finished Kanon and it was epic!
May 2, 2010 6:04 AM

Sep 2009
just finished sengoku rance. By far an epic game.
May 4, 2010 9:57 PM

Mar 2008
Finished Subarashikihibi, brilliant remake of tsui no sora
May 31, 2010 7:12 AM

May 2010
Just finished the 5th episode of umineko..
Currently waiting the 6th translation >.<
~~~~~~
May 31, 2010 9:38 AM

Dec 2007
Crescendo.It was boring.I only liked yuka's route .__.
Jun 15, 2010 12:48 AM

Sep 2009
Finidshed. If you mean totally finished(all possible good endings) than Planetarian. But yesterday evening I finidshed first (Yasumi's) ending of Aoi Shiro and hope to finish short novel True Remembrance today
Jun 15, 2010 5:42 AM

Nov 2008
Just finished Yume Miru Kusuri. I liked Nekoko's route. The others, not so much..
Jul 15, 2010 12:37 AM
Mar 2010
I just finished playing Swan Song. Although it was short, it was quite thought provoking. I liked the viewpoint of multiple protagonists (I think there ended up being six?), it was part of what made this such a unique experience. I'd give it a solid 9/10, great story, interesting characters and development, and nice art and BGM. There were a few things that bothered me, however, for example...
Jul 20, 2010 7:07 PM

Sep 2009
I just finished four titles all around the same time (within about a week).

Moero Downhill Night: Extremely short and almost no real plot. The characters were not horrible but the game was a real let down. Probably made only for the sex aspect. Although I did think it had quite a bit of humor throughout. The fact it made me laugh a few times is the reason I kept on going to the end.

Lightning Warrior Raidy II: I have a bad habit of buying anything that is released in English under the belief that the industry will grow if I do. I sincerely hope that I'm not helping to promote the sole release of bad titles by doing so. Raidy II is a sex romp with rpg elements. It doesn't really have a story and the majority of it is just sex till you drop. Win or lose you get sex. Kind of defeats the feeling of accomplishment. By far the hardest thing in the game to do is lose. Late in the game it is almost impossible. Not to mention there were about 9 scenes that had nothing to even do with the game but were simply dreams or visions. Plot wise it is bad. However if you like sex romps and lesbian acts in particular then you might like this. It isn't bad as far as sex romps go (in fact in that category it is quite good) but it is not what I look for usually.

Edelweiss Eden of Fantasia: I have to admit some of it was quite entertaining. I thought the characters were a bit too moe at times and that they slightly changed from the previous game but Rin and Sakura were definitely interesting routes. Especially Rin's. A good add-on to edelweiss.

KiraKira Curtain Call: I felt this lacked what made kirakira a great game. Not to mention the fact it only had one h-scene was kind of surprising. The story wasn't all that good either. It was more of an epilogue to kirakira than a sequel or even a spinoff.
Aug 2, 2010 7:27 PM

Aug 2008
Recently finished: "Dies Irae" (Kei's route, now on Marie's route), Terebi no Kieta Hi(except the bad end route of Nanami's), Yaki-Mochi TwinBell, School Mate 2

Currently reading: Like a Butler, Sora o Aogite Kumo Takaku, Itadaki! Nyannyan China, LOVE×EVOLUTION, Shin Genre Esudere!!

Dropped: "HanixBani" because Shiro is having sex with male protagonist and with his older brother...(it kind of make me feel like...zzz)
Futapoko Mix, RPG Gakuen
Aug 3, 2010 5:23 PM

Apr 2010
sengoku rance
and Cosplay aliens
Aug 5, 2010 2:55 AM

Jun 2009
Private Nurse, exceptional story with Maria's ending and story line being particularly good. Ayano got sort of shafted I think. Also, the After Diary, though promising at first, really let me down when I found out that all it was basically a collection of sex scenes. Even though I didn't play it for the sex (shocking I know) even I was disappointed to discover that most sex scenes after the initial scenes was a rehash of previous scenes.

My advice? Play through the two routes of Maria and Ayano for the story and don't bother with the after diaries.

8/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 7, 2010 9:44 PM

Sep 2007
I just played Tenshin Ranman! It was not perfect, but I really enjoyed it. The characters are what made this game worth playing <3 And IMO, the art is really gorgeous.
Tsumi-tanAug 10, 2010 5:05 AM
Aug 10, 2010 12:12 AM

Sep 2009
Been wanting to check out Tenshin Ranman heard nothing but good things about it.

Finished Downhill Night II (finally):

After playing the first game I'm surprised this is even related (although it is). The game was better in all aspects from the first and it was even enjoyable. With 4 (5) routes to choose from and an interesting main plot for the game it worked well. The characters were also more characterful than in the previous game. The bg cgs though were by far the biggest improvement and it made it feel like a completely different series. Music was a bit awkward in places though.

Umineko no naku koro ni: Damn is this one great game. If you can get used to the weird sprites the story is amazing. I'm in the middle of chiru right now and it just keeps getting better.
Aug 12, 2010 5:18 PM

Nov 2007
Haven't gone through much VNs recently but:

Little Busters Ex! Funny as hell. From a nakige aspect it's not near as good as most prior Key games but the cast is great.

Cross Channel Ok it was not AS BAD as I first thought and I do admit that Tower of Friends added some food for thought, but it is not something that I enjoy. Romeo flaunting his otakuness and referencing a thesaurus for half the game did not help either.

Phantom of Inferno Great anime great game.Many thought the anime ending was a troll but I liked it. Kokia is awesome.

Hoshizora no Memoria: Haven't finished the game all the way yet. Very well done slice of life revolving around a stargazing club with light mysterious element.

Yoake Mae yori Ruri Iro na -Moonlight Cradle - More of the same as the original. Pretty typical romance comedy but enjoyable nonetheless.
Aug 13, 2010 4:57 AM

Apr 2010
just finished Da capo and Saya no Uta...
Aug 16, 2010 1:47 PM

Sep 2007
Just finished Angel Ring^^ The scenario was simple, but for some reasons very heartwarming~ But once again, not enough ''normal'' CG. The system and sound were okay... and the characters really likeable <3

Edit: Yesterday, 3 months since I began, I finally finished Mashiro Iro Symphony. I don't even know why it took me so much time xD It wasn't bad or something like that... Anyway, another game with characters that saved the day << The art was beautiful (even if some of the CGs are disproportionate, IMO), the sound is great but the characters's stories are rather boring. The only ''good'' route was Miu's, and she's not my favourite character D:
Tsumi-tanAug 19, 2010 10:24 AM
Aug 21, 2010 5:51 AM

Sep 2009
Finished Aoi Shiro about 1,5 weeks before. It had some "-" but I was very impressed about characters and some parts of the plot. Some more VN's are in process now
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Where to get visual novels

rpgdiva - Feb 12, 2009

31 by Tulegen »»
Aug 29, 2021 2:28 PM

» akane-iro ni somaru saka

en_____ - Nov 23, 2009

5 by Elnath1911 »»
Feb 8, 2016 8:41 PM

» Recommend a VN like Princess Evangile?

luniz123 - Aug 15, 2015

1 by luniz123 »»
Aug 15, 2015 10:13 PM

Sticky: » Visual Novels with Anime/Manga Adaptations

accela - May 16, 2008

27 by IommicDisciple »»
Dec 23, 2014 5:53 PM

» Visual Novel Recommendations

removed-user - Sep 9, 2008

22 by Relunx »»
Jul 26, 2013 4:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.