fffffffffffffffffs
26.3%
fffffffffffffffffs
16.4%
171 votes
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jun 25, 2013 7:45 PM

Sep 2011
I prefer REAL power, but mecha could be good when done right.
Jun 25, 2013 7:47 PM

Dec 2012
Mecha combat is always fun to watch.
It's rare to see fights were scale is practically all over the place without it being dismissed solely as "over the top"... Or viewed negatively because of the fact.
Jun 25, 2013 7:49 PM

Jan 2013
I love it a lot. From gundams to tachikoma to transformers and even genocyber mechs.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Jun 25, 2013 9:59 PM
Dec 2010
i don't have a problem with as long as it fits in or if it isn't a big part of the serie.
for example in Gun x Sword, it doesn't fit, it would be better if the cut out the mecha scenes and felt it with something else. hopefully it's dying out? mecha i mean.

but there are also many good mecha series :)
Jun 25, 2013 10:39 PM

May 2013
Alright, well I simply explained why I cannot appreciate mechas, especially those with heavy traits such as using robots 24/7. Mine was just an opinion on not liking mechas in fact the "in my opinion" and "for me".

The problem for me is that the reasons that usually these robots are use is pretty much always with the clichè of "saving the world" "saving the universe" or "do it for the one dear to me". And this is something that is really common in the fighting genre and FOR ME it is not something that attracts me to the story.
Mindless fighting for most of the show like Dragonball or Bleach to name some of the "big" even though there are others that are just the same, among the many reasons why I don't watch such shows.

Not only that, but something that has always bothered me was: how can using a giant robot magically become effective when the army is completely useless, even when you use nuclear weapons?( as in the case of EVA) That is something that has always bothered me, as well as how could piloting a robot become the most efficient tool for your war, while the rest is just fodder?

I have attempted to watch and watch quite some titles with different emphasis on the "robot" part, mechas that do not inherently contain a lot of "piloting a giant robot" sort of stuff like a Guilty Crown or even Xam'D. To animes where there was a lot like Gundam, Vandread or Gurren Lagann.
From a wide spectrum of ideas that were presented in the shows really, it is something that has put me off, despite some containing interesting portrayals of ideals that characters were holding, from having a potentially good plot. I just could not bear the robots, in a show that could have been good were it not for them.

Also, how does wanting "realism" automatically result in "people shouldn't watch anime if they want realism"? Even what I seek is not solely nor entirely "realism" as I have watched anime for quite a long time and appreciated many titles despite them not bearing a lot of realism?
As if animes do not have examples that do represent "realistic" situations and possibilities like Aoi Bungaku or Kino no Tabi portraying aspects and possibilities realistically.

And finally, how is it any pretentious when the person I quoted said stuff like "Mecha is awesome" with the sole reason they look "cool" while fighting when I gave a more descriptive answer describing how I (me) do not like the genre using some of his terms?
Pretentious when all you can say is:

burntlettuce said:
I don't understand how I keep forgetting how pretentious MAL is.

That being said, I quite enjoy Mecha. Giant Robots fighting is always a fun watch.

I know perfectly well we all share different tastes, and even I have come to appreciate some titles solely for what they wanted to convey, but I just can't stomach fighting for indeed quite the clichè reasons, instead of a more complex and intellectual motive.
Jun 26, 2013 1:07 AM

Aug 2009
I like mecha but I when I look for a anime to watch I do not seek out that genre.If its in there then its in there if it isn't then it isn't.
Jun 26, 2013 1:11 AM

Jan 2013
I don't like mecha and only watch mecha anime for other elements.

TTGL was my first mecha anime. Its characters were interesting enough to keep me watching.
Jun 26, 2013 5:14 AM

Mar 2013
Currently having Pacific Rim fever DDD:
God DAMN, I NEED THE MOVIE TO COME OUT NOWWWW

I love you.
Jun 26, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2010
Well it depends... I haven't seen many shows from the genre, but what I did see was good. Here I am talking about the first Gundam.

I also trued NGE but got really bored iwth it. Still, people say that NGE isn't focused on the mecha aspect so I guess this rules it out.
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Jun 28, 2013 4:50 PM

Jun 2013
If the story is good then yes. I can deal with giant robots and explosions every once in a while, but if the story is just garbage then no mecha for me.
Im victoria's secret

Jun 28, 2013 6:23 PM

Aug 2010
I haven't seen too much mecha, but I like what I've seen (Gurren Lagann, Nadesico, Gun x Sword, IGPX, etc)
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Jun 28, 2013 8:40 PM

May 2013
I hate Mecha, only "mecha" series i have ever finished is Code Geass and thats because it's the Madoka Magica of Mech series.
Jun 28, 2013 8:42 PM

Jan 2008
Arete7 said:
I hate Mecha, only "mecha" series i have ever finished is Code Geass and thats because it's the Madoka Magica of Mech series.

Not really a good example. It doesn't do anything different from your general mech series with the addition of some supernatural abilities. To be honest, the closest mecha anime to Madoka would be Asura Cryin. Yea, that's right, that crap.

Death, contracts, and timetraveling/parallel worlds. Add mechs, you got Asura Cryin.

That or some sophisticated mecha anime I never bothered to touch.
Jun 28, 2013 9:04 PM

May 2013
Paul said:
Arete7 said:

Not really a good example. It doesn't do anything different from your general mech series with the addition of some supernatural abilities. To be honest, the closest mecha anime to Madoka would be Asura Cryin. Yea, that's right, that crap.

Death, contracts, and timetraveling/parallel worlds. Add mechs, you got Asura Cryin.

That or some sophisticated mecha anime I never bothered to touch.

I think your trying to hard because you missed my entire point.
Jun 28, 2013 9:26 PM

Jun 2013
JustALEX said:
I have a love/hate relationship with mecha.

Code Geass was one of my all time favorite anime and I love FMP and TTGL as well.

But, usually I avoid anime with mechas because they generally annoy me.

that guy have my feelings
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

38 by Archean-Return »»
7 seconds ago

Poll: » whats the severity of social stigma for anime and its fans now a days?

deg - 13 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
4 minutes ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 43 minutes ago

3 by NubFix »»
5 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

22 by Eziprez »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.