Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2013 4:40 PM

Nov 2011
To the other admins- Please edit this as you see fit.

Hello everyone!! The theme this time around is SONGS!

Essentially, you are to take a song and illustrate it however you so choose. Try to interpret the lyrics in your own way and draw based on what you think the song is really about.

DEADLINE: March 15th (open to extension)

A Few Rules:

• NO Themesongs- I don't want you to pick the Dragon Ball Z themesong (Rock the Dragon) and then draw a picture of Goku banging on drums and Piccolo shredding guitar. Actually, admittedly, I do want to see that. But not for this contest. .
  • NO J-pop Songs- These are just too grounded in 'anime'. Foreign language songs are okay if that is what you are more comfortable with- For example, if you happen to not be from the US or Britain. Just no J-pop. MAKE SURE YOU POST THE TRANSLATED LYRICS, HOWEVER.
  • No known characters- Don't choose a song like.. Oh I don't know... Justin Beiber's "Baby' and then have a picture of Haruhi Suzumiya and the Lucky Star girls singing it or acting it out. This should be a representation of the song and I feel using a known character to represent that song creates an unfair bias of familiarity.
  • IT HAS TO HAVE WORDS- I love wordless music to no end, but there's no real lyrical interpretation there.

PRIZES: Full Month Subscription to Crunchyroll ~ ForgoneReality
    Amazon Gift (To be announced) ~ Amberleh.

TIPS:
  • A lot of songs have another meaning behind the actual words of the song. Try to do some research on the song you choose, or just listen to it a few times over and create your own interpretation of the song's lyrics.
  • This is a chance for you to show off the kind of music you listen to and express your own creativity, so let it all out! be as metaphorical and weird (or not) as you like, but be sure to explain yourself. You can also be totally straight-forward.
  • The song does NOT have to be super deep or meaningful or tragic or whatever. It can be about anything as long as you feel you can represent it.

Entry Format:
  • Song Name
  • Band/Artist of song
  • Song Lyrics (in a spoiler)
  • Link to the song so that we can listen to it
  • Your picture (in a spoiler)
  • An explanation of why you drew what you drew for this song, as well as any additional comments you would like to add. Put this in a spoiler as well, so that we can try to interpret your image before we read the explanation.

EXAMPLE (I apologize for this example, by the way. It's the only 'perfect' one I've got in regards to this contest. If you find others let me know and I can take this one down, I don't want to offend anyone.)

Song: Wish I Had An Angel
    Song Artist: Nightwish
    Lyrics:

Song:

Image:

Explanation/ Artist Notes:

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK! I don't bite, I swear! If you need help thinking of ideas, interpreting your song, drawing, figuring out what to draw, you name it, JUST ASK!!
  • AmberlehFeb 18, 2013 7:31 PM
    Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
    Jan 14, 2013 5:27 PM

Sep 2011
    I'm a fan of the concept for this contest, and I don't really mind the rules. I think a lot of them are necessary to give artistic direction to participants, but I don't know if I would agree with having a "It has to have words" rule. I think most people would agree that music doesn't need lyrics to be interpreted one way or another, otherwise we wouldn't have instrumental music. I guess I'm pressing this question because it seems like a lot of this contest is built around this rule, so I'm just wondering if you have a substantial reason for this.
    Jan 14, 2013 5:33 PM

Jun 2011
    I'm going to back up the original statement of mandatory lyrics. The point of an illustration is to accompany a narrative, and as such create a clearer, or more meaningful story.

I feel that drawings accompanying wordless music, however beautiful they may turn out, would be abstract in nature, and no longer fitting the parameters of this particular illustration contest.
    Jan 14, 2013 6:33 PM

Nov 2011
    What Forgone said. If we allowed people to illustrate wordless music it would end up being an entirely different contest. You could have a metal song and then draw fairies dancing and say "Well this is what I imagined"- Which would be fine, for an entirely different contest. It would not be fair or easy to compare an illustration that is based upon a series of tunes to an illustration that is a direct interpretation of the actual lyrics- Does that make sense? You gotta look at it from a judging perspective as well.

The point of this one is to interpret a song's LYRICS and illustrate your interpretation of them.
    AmberlehJan 14, 2013 6:36 PM
    Jan 19, 2013 6:47 AM

Mar 2009
    can fanart still be okay?

Jan 19, 2013 9:25 AM

Jun 2011
    SC401se said:
    can fanart still be okay?

If your drawing contains any characters, they must be original and created by you.

Amberleh said:

No known characters.
    Feb 18, 2013 7:32 PM

Nov 2011
    I edited the date since there hasn't been a wink of participation- Deadline is now March 15.
    Feb 23, 2013 8:37 PM

Jul 2008
    i read the rules and got a question...
    If I chose Thriller and draw a Jackson zombie manga style count?
    My candies:
    Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Introduce Yourself... with a draw. ( 1 2 3 )

NoHeart - Jun 8, 2011

128 by Febrile »»
    Mar 29, 2013 6:07 PM

» #18} Cartoons! [Closed] Winner: no-idea

ForgoneReality - Nov 2, 2012

9 by SC401se »»
    Dec 4, 2012 12:32 PM

» The Things of Nightmares [Closed] Winner: no-idea

ForgoneReality - Sep 9, 2012

15 by emperortopaz »»
    Oct 20, 2012 4:59 PM

» #16) - Elemental Contest [Closed]

ForgoneReality - Jul 24, 2012

27 by NoHeart »»
    Aug 31, 2012 8:23 AM

» #15 - The Creature Contest (Winner: blueunicorns)

ForgoneReality - May 1, 2012

9 by EatsSweets »»
    Jun 10, 2012 7:41 PM
    It’s time to ditch the text file.
    Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.