Forum Settings
Forums

Someone recommend me a harem/romance where the male lead isn't dissappointing

New
Nov 21, 2008 8:18 AM

Sep 2008
Next week will be our 2nd yr anniversary for my gf and I, and I know during that weekend we'll most likely be watching anime if not going out...(its a favourite past time of ours and how we met at uni)

A bit about our taste, she loves romance/drama(Kimagure Orange Road,Chobits) type of animes, where as I'm more into shounen/action(FMP, Slam Dunk) anime.

We've come to an agreement of me watching the harem types with her as its not all romance and mushie, but the ones I've been watching so far have been a let down(rosario+vampire, girls bravo)

..so what I'm asking is, is there any good anime we can both watch where the male lead is not a dissapointment. Comedy is a plus!
Nov 21, 2008 8:42 AM

Jun 2008
I have heard that the male lead from Kanon isn't too bad.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Nov 21, 2008 8:43 AM

Nov 2007
Lovely Complex
Ouran High School Host Club
Nodame Cantabile
Fruits Basket
REC
What a day! What a lovely Day!
Nov 21, 2008 8:48 AM

Aug 2008
What do you mean by disappointment?

Elfen Lied
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Ichigo 100%
Onegai Twins
To-Love-RU

Also, watch the Love Hina Christmas Special. It's the best special of the series.

Ontario said:
I have heard that the male lead from Kanon isn't too bad.

He already saw Kanon.
PlunNov 21, 2008 5:17 PM

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Nov 21, 2008 8:58 AM

Sep 2008
Thanks for the replies!

Well so far I have already seen:

Elfen Lied
Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Ichigo 100%
Onegai Twins
To-Love-RU
& Kanon to name a few

I just haven't had the time to add to my 'have seen anime' list as yet

i will try check out ouran highschool and I believe my gf's already downloading ef tale of memories at the moment(although from what I read on MAL it sounds pure romance anime to me)
Nov 21, 2008 9:59 AM

Aug 2008
you will love ef tale of memories. =]

Plun said:

Also, watch the Love Hina Christmas Special. It's the best special of the series.

yes this!!!

and lovely complex
Nov 21, 2008 10:10 AM

Nov 2007
Plun said:
Elfen Lied
Ichigo 100%
To-Love-RU

The male leads from those four shows are amongst the most disappointing in anime. Kouta (Elfen Lied), is clearly deficient in some way (I won't spoil the series, but the two main characters should have been removed to improve the show). Junpei (Ichigo 100%), is the stereotypical harem lead - plain, boring, unimaginative, idiotic, slobbish - and yet he still has the women falling all over him. Rito (To-Love-Ru) is pretty much a carbon copy of Junpei. And Keitaro (Love Hina), is possibly the most spineless character I've seen (I mean, how much abuse would you take before you hit back?).
Nov 21, 2008 11:07 AM

Sep 2008
Archaeon said:
Plun said:
Elfen Lied
Ichigo 100%
To-Love-RU

The male leads from those four shows are amongst the most disappointing in anime. Kouta (Elfen Lied), is clearly deficient in some way (I won't spoil the series, but the two main characters should have been removed to improve the show). Junpei (Ichigo 100%), is the stereotypical harem lead - plain, boring, unimaginative, idiotic, slobbish - and yet he still has the women falling all over him. Rito (To-Love-Ru) is pretty much a carbon copy of Junpei. And Keitaro (Love Hina), is possibly the most spineless character I've seen (I mean, how much abuse would you take before you hit back?).

LoL...my point exactly...

I've been watching these shows and thinking do these guys get anywhere at least? Whether with their everyday life or with the girls that fawn over them...BUT NO

My gf loves these type of anime though so hence my reason for at least wanting to know of a few titles so I can download them now and by the time we watch them next week, I won't be put off by some spineless male lead
Nov 21, 2008 11:12 AM

Aug 2007
lovely complex
Nodame Cantabile
Fruits Baskets
Ouran High School Host Club

How are these male harems 0.o

That being said, I second Ouran High School Host Club, even though it doesn't fit your requirements 100%. Its a reverse harem, but its got comedy, style, and doesn't have a dull moment. It brings in emotions when it wants to, and I didn't feel *totally* dissapointed in the end (more dissapointed that they haven't made a sequel yet ;))
AaranaNov 21, 2008 11:16 AM

Nov 21, 2008 11:32 AM

Nov 2007
True Tears.
Nov 21, 2008 11:34 AM

Sep 2008
Thanks for the tip...

..I read a bit about ouran on mal, and it looks more suited for my gf to watch on her own. Your looking at that the anime I'm more into are animes like Initial D, Samurai7, Soul Eater, Bleach...I think you get my drift

For both my gf and I to meet halfway on what we choose to watch together are anime like Heroic Age, School Rumble(although I'd probably watch that one on my own if she didn't), Kare Kano and anime's along that line..

I'm currently downloading Nodame at the moment from one of the tips already after hearing good reviews about it but please feel free to recommend anymore as I do find that times I watch anime with my gf is better then watching anime by myself
Nov 21, 2008 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
Check out :
Air - interesting like Kanon / Clannad
D.N.Angel - has romance , action , fantasy , magic , school , comedy
ef - a tale of melodies - 2 good 2 be true or something like that .
Gin'iro no Kami no Agito - awsome graphics , has some romance , fights very good .
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora - not a harem but a good romantic / drama one /
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni .. hey ... it is a harem-like :))) .
Over Drive a shounen / sports that has some good comedy / romance also
Sekirei - this one is a very nice harem :P and the story is not half bad .
The Place Promised in Our Early Days - another movie i think you 2 will like
Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge - horror girl surrounded by beautiful men that she cant look at cause beautiful things make her nose bleed or something like that .
Nov 21, 2008 12:13 PM

Sep 2008
thx for the reply, so far this is what's already been seen/or currently watching by my gf and I: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/oniichanpower

DNAngel - Watched a few years back with an ex
Sekirei - I didn't mind, but you could say its pokemon with chicks(pimpimon) which my gf is not really into

..the others I will look into
Nov 21, 2008 12:20 PM

Aug 2007
Well, if you are truely looking for a harem with comedy, I think that you would enjoy Ouran Host Club, I know many males that do. I suggest catching an episode streaming to see if it is something you would like or not.

If you are looking for romance/action type, well, thats a whole different genre all together, and alot easier to pinpoint series ;)

Nov 21, 2008 12:36 PM

Sep 2008
Aarana said:
Well, if you are truely looking for a harem with comedy, I think that you would enjoy Ouran Host Club, I know many males that do. I suggest catching an episode streaming to see if it is something you would like or not.

If you are looking for romance/action type, well, thats a whole different genre all together, and alot easier to pinpoint series ;)

Well I guess thats where I maybe leading to. I've headed out the topic as harem as thats the genre we've been watching of late, but i guess anything on the romance/action type is recommendable, pls feel free to tip me some titles
Nov 21, 2008 1:23 PM

Nov 2007
To be honest, I didn't think I'd enjoy Ouran at first, so I was really surprised to find it was hilarious. I'd have to classify it as more of a comedy than a romance. As for Nodame, the humour is brilliantly off the wall.
Nov 21, 2008 1:25 PM

Oct 2007
oniichanpower said:

Sekirei - I didn't mind, but you could say its pokemon with chicks(pimpimon) which my gf is not really into

Don't waste it till you try it :)) I'm usually not very found of echii lols but this one is good .
Nov 21, 2008 1:29 PM

Jan 2008
maybe shuffle... though the male lead isn't really strong there either..
Nov 21, 2008 1:42 PM

May 2007
annabloem said:
maybe shuffle... though the male lead isn't really strong there either..
i agree, though he gets stronger and the acting really goes with the character. but he is really oblivious

Nov 21, 2008 5:04 PM

Oct 2008
Well, I don't know about disappointing male leads in this, and it's something of a harem, but it is veryfunny and quite unusual. Check it out to see what you think.

Tenshi na Konamaiki (Cheecky Angel)
Nov 21, 2008 11:49 PM

Mar 2008
The compromise you're looking for (strong action and meaningful romance) is exactly what I've been wanting for a long time. Theres none I've found yet that blend perfectly 50/50, but the closest I can suggest are:
Planetes: More on the storyline/drama side, with some action and a budding romance.
Great Teacher Onizuka: Mostly a comedy/drama. But it is truely the best blend of genre's I've ever found, and my top favorite of all time. The action is awsome and sometimes funny too. The romantic elements feel very realistic. And above all else the character developments are incredible.
Nov 22, 2008 12:58 AM

Nov 2008
I'm afraid I can't really help you a lot on the harem angle, but if you are looking for a good mix of action and romance, with a dash of comedy thrown in for good measure, I might recommend Chrno Crusade. It's not as lighthearted (at times) as some of the other series mentioned, but definitely still worth a watch.

Also, I cannot mention enough the brilliance of Nodame Cantabile. My favorite romance/comedy mix by far, though it might not be as alluring if either of you is not particularly interested in classical music.
Nov 22, 2008 8:49 AM

Sep 2008
Actually started watching Nodame today with my gf(upto ep.12) and I must say we love it so far! The story is great as well as the characters. Chiaki does not make me feel emasculated, and classical music is a plus for my gf as she plays classical piano.

Being anime lovers, we were surprised we've never come across this series consiering its been out for awhile now. Guess this network does help in recommendations.

As for the Ouran High Host Club, I can't seem to find a site that has it on offer for download(even paid sites) and coming from Australia where anime is still scarce to rent at video stores, its been pretty hard to look for. Can anyone recommend a site where I can download it?
Nov 22, 2008 1:15 PM

Jan 2008
"harem", male is not a "letdown"...

Ranma 1/2 - hands. down. Get it.

Love Hina - the male lead gets progressively better.

Bastard! - not technically a harem anime, but the element is there a bit.

Oh, as far as Ouran... *cough*http://fenopy.com/ *coughcough*
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!
Nov 22, 2008 2:28 PM

Nov 2007
Mr_Panda said:

Love Hina - the male lead gets progressively better more inane, emasculated, beaten, misunderstood, misled, stupid (seriously - learn from your mistakes), and bullied in general.

Fixed
Nov 22, 2008 9:51 PM

Jan 2008
Archaeon said:
Mr_Panda said:

Love Hina - the male lead gets progressively better more inane, emasculated, beaten, misunderstood, misled, stupid (seriously - learn from your mistakes), and bullied in general.

Fixed

Neh. :p That depends on one's point of view. Though you have a valid point.
~ Mr. Panda // Twitter: @ManlyBats
~ The Anime Historian
~ Fleet Admiral, Manly Battleships®
Ask Mr. Panda Thread
Follow Mr. Panda's VCR of DOOM! review series here. Now on YouTube!

More topics from this board

» Looking for hidden gems that will hook me in the first epsiode

Dragosama - 34 minutes ago

0 by Dragosama »»
34 minutes ago

» looking for animanga/wa/ua like gantz, battle royale, god's will, jagaaaaaan and sweet home

FruitPunchBaka - Today

13 by Dragosama »»
43 minutes ago

» Anime/Manga that revolves around Rain Theem

BroDa2545 - May 5

7 by ST63LTH »»
4 hours ago

» Worst anime ever?

Weltman - 7 hours ago

3 by ST63LTH »»
4 hours ago

» Any anime/manga with birds as the main focus?

doomteensy - May 3

11 by LoveYourEyes »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.