Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 20, 2007 6:14 AM

Oct 2006
I was writing a review for a show and something came to mind. TheOverall rating is as the name states the value the anime should get after all other ratings are weighted. But, right now the Overall rating in the reviews is given by the user, from 1 to 10. So technically it can be biased.
For example a user could rate animation, sound, story, character, enjoyment low and rate it 10 in Overall. Or the other way around, or something in the middle of both. I know the first two possibilities wouldn't make much sense doesn't make much sense, but I'm just trying to make a point.

I think the overall rating should be calculated by a formula instead.
Something simple as...

(Art+Sound+Story+Character+Enjoyment) / 5 = Overall rating.

...would do. Or if you wanna give more power to the users, allow each variable to have a percentage value, the user could insert in a box at the review page.
E.g. : Let's say Art and Sound both worth 15% for me, the Story and Character 20% each and enjoyment is worth 30%
Then it would be something like

(Artx0.15)+(Soundx0.15)+(Storyx0.2)+(Characterx0.2)+(Enjoymentx0.3) = Overall rating

Having the Overall rating calculated by a formula would also allow decimal ratings. Which would help to differentiate shows from one another (a 7 from a 7.8 a 9.5 from a 9.8 etc), and possibly allow a top anime by reviews?

Let's say for the show "X" I rate, Art-9 Sound-7 Story-8 Character-9 Enjoyment-10

Using formula 1 it would be overall would equal - 8.6
Using formula 2 (with my percentage e.g.) it would equal - 8.8

Although I sort of like the second formula, it can be exploited if a reviewer wants to. So it's probably not a good idea... unless a maximum and minimum value was set for each or something along those lines. The first one is more straightforward and probably easier to code. I'd really like to see the Overall calculated by a formula not matter which though.
What do you think Xinil and users?

(ps: sorry for the long ranting :] )
Sep 20, 2007 7:49 AM

Oct 2006
Honestly, I like having the ability to give an overall rating independent of the other ratings. Some things are more than just a sum of their parts, so to speak. They may have plenty of flaws to mention in art story, etc. but an inexplicable appeal despite those flaws that makes up for low ratings there.
Sep 20, 2007 7:52 AM

Aug 2006
I have to agree with Krelian. I've done reviews where not all aspects of an anime will receive a 10, but something like, say in Saiyuki, where the still shot battles scenes may have reduced the "art" score, it didn't reduce my overall enjoyment of the series. Just as an example.
Sep 20, 2007 11:08 AM

Oct 2006
I understand your point, Chelle, Krelian. Since I've done that myself, once. Using Krelian's words "inexplicable appeal" made me raise the overall rating a bitscore a bit.
I still think it should be calculated by a formula though. Because it gives a more "serious" look to the review, there's less biasing possibilities etc. But it's up to Xinil.
Sep 20, 2007 11:24 AM

Mar 2007
*_* whats wrong with what it is now? thats the whole point of reviews... to explain why you scored certain things that way.

The way youre explaining it is just adding more and more numbers to the mix... so basically instead of a 10 point system its better to a 100 point system. But unfortunately most kids arent very good in the numbers department. Which also throws factor "x" in to the equation... The reviewers.

Theres no way you can affect the reviewers score no matter how much you alter the numbers. One child can rate one piece all 10's because "Its the best show EVAR." Or another kid cand give it all 1's. Thres no mathmatical equations for stupidness.

Whis is why threres an approve diaspprove panel above every review there is posted. What you should be really asking is like having some sort of "Overall REVIEWER rating" for reviews That would actually have more merit than just numbers. Like add up all the "helpfuls" and "not helpfuls" that user has recieved and make some crazy eqation for that.

Lets be real, its just a bunch of numbers... The words backing up those numbers are what should be more emphasized.

^_^

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Sep 20, 2007 12:20 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
The current review system is heavily influenced by Yahoo Movies review system. I like to go with what big companies pay lots of $$$$$ for people to create.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809781728/user

With that being said, it's unlikely I'll be making any changes. :(
XinilSep 20, 2007 12:29 PM
Sep 20, 2007 12:29 PM

Oct 2006
Lol.. ok I guess I can't argue with that :P.
But wait, wait. Does that mean if I can convince them to change their reviewing way you'll change MAL's too? xP

nah.., I'll live with it :). It's not bad, i just think it can be "unreal" or exploited a bit sometimes.
Sep 20, 2007 12:40 PM

Mar 2007
But how bout my idea of having some sorta "reviewer reliability" score??
or does that jus sound silly?

...its not like im mooching the idea off of EBAY or anything. It's not like you go with systems that big companies pay lots of $$$$$ for people to create. :P

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 3, 2015 5:58 AM

May 2015
Kosaki

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 42 minutes ago

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
42 minutes ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
1 hour ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.