Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Spirituality Survey for a School Project

New
Sep 24, 2012 9:58 AM

Apr 2009
I’m working on a project for school regarding the Spiritual Life of Anime Fans. As such, I'm doing an initial survey to see if there is enough evidence to continue with my project. All answers are valid. Can you please take a few moments to answer the following questions? In my paper, the only thing that will indentify you, are the answers to question 6. I'd really appreciate your help with this project.
1. What are your favorite anime/manga. Why?
2. Do you attend conventions or belong to an Anime/Manga Club? If so, which, for how long and why?
3. Has a fellow fan asked you about your spiritual beliefs or shared their beliefs with you? If so, explain.
4. If you attend cons, have you ever been to a panel where the main topic has been spirituality or religion? If so, what was the panel about and if you can remember, which con.
5. What is your spiritual background and current practice, if any?
6. Basic Indentifying questions: Age, Race, State of Residency, Gender
Thank you for your help. Please feel free to forward these questions to anyone who likes Anime. If you don't want to answer on the forum, please contact me at tmzielinski1@united.edu.
Sep 24, 2012 9:59 AM

Dec 2011
What kind of a project is that..?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 24, 2012 10:05 AM

Apr 2009
It's a doctoral project. And this is just a baseline survey to find out if there is any correlation between anime fandom and spirituality of any kind.
Sep 24, 2012 10:16 AM

Mar 2008
KellyK said:

5 Centimeters Per Second. Because I could highly relate to it, and because it had beautiful animation and music.

KellyK said:

2. Do you attend conventions or belong to an Anime/Manga Club? If so, which, for how long and why?

I've been to one convention, forgot what it was called. Never belonged to any anime related clubs.

KellyK said:

3. Has a fellow fan asked you about your spiritual beliefs or shared their beliefs with you? If so, explain.

Not really. If they do, it's usually unintentionally shown by a comment or remark. I'd say about half the ones I've known in real-life have been either Christian or agnostic/atheist.

KellyK said:

4. If you attend cons, have you ever been to a panel where the main topic has been spirituality or religion? If so, what was the panel about and if you can remember, which con.

I have not.

KellyK said:

I occasionally summon demons to do my bidding.

...Agnostic.

KellyK said:

23, Caucasian, TX, Male.
Sep 24, 2012 10:22 AM

Mar 2012
Personally I don't find the topic intriguing, but here goes.

1. FLCL, because it is the coming of age story for me. Makes me feel like I'm a crazy, risk taking, optimistic kid with the world his fingertips, that sort of thing.
2. No. I guess that would classify me as something closer to "casual".
3. There have been various religion threads on MAL, all of which appear to be atheists not-so-anonymous meetings (whether, or not, this is just a general phenomenon of the internet remains to be seen).
4. Does not apply.
5. I was raised catholic; baptized, confirmed, the whole deal. I've considered myself an Atheist ever since I first questioned my own beliefs, probably around 10-13. I still go to church with my family for Christmas, Easter, etc. I suspect my parents may be atheists themselves, but cling onto church for the sake of tradition/ all the good things it has done for them.
6. I'm approximately 20. 8 (lol), Male, half-Ecuadorian half-Canadian ("tanned"), Ontario
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 24, 2012 10:27 AM

Dec 2009
KellyK said:

I don't really read manga so I'd have to say that my favorite anime is Air. I just love the theme of wings, birds, flying, and the sky. It's all so dreamy and beautiful to me.

No and no. I prefer watching anime by myself.

I don't think this has ever happened to me.

I don't attend cons.

I am a believer in God and eternal life through his son, Jesus.

??, white, ??, female.
Sep 24, 2012 10:37 AM

Dec 2008
These things bore me, but I'll help you out:

1. Berserk/Vinland Saga/Vagabond. Fantastic art, ambitious plots and a strong sense of hope in all three.
2. Been going to the London Expo for the last 4 years, sometimes biannually. Also went to the Japanese Art Festival one year. Was also a member of of the anime society at my university for 4 years. Why? So I can meet other anime/manga fans and buy anime/Japan-related merchandise.
3. Nope, never.
4. I never go to the panels at cons. All they ever talk about is cosplay...
5. Catholic on paper, Agnostic in reality. I still celebrate Christmas though, and I'll buy an Easter egg at Easter.
6. Age: 23; Race: Mixed - White and Asian; State of Residency: Devon, UK; Gender: Female.
Sep 24, 2012 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
1. Hikaru no Go/GTO/Space Brothers. They are all inspirational.
2. No
3. No
4. No
5. Seventh-Day Adventist
6. 31/Asian-White/Pa, U.S./Female
Sep 24, 2012 10:58 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
KellyK said:

Thank you for your help. Please feel free to forward these questions to anyone who likes Anime. If you don't want to answer on the forum, please contact me at tmzielinski1@united.edu.

1-Anime: Ghost in The Shell because of it's great thought-provoking plot, characters, and oh that OST.
Manga: Eureka 7. Very enjoyable and I liked the characters.
2-Only conventions, wish there was an anime club at my college. For like 3 years or something like that. I go to buy merchandise (mainly DVD's).
3-No, not a fan. But I've been involved in discussions about it.
4-No.
5-Atheist.
6-Age: 21 Race: Afro-Costarican State of Residency: Limón, Costa Rica (sorry if your survey is only for americans) Gender: Male.
Sep 26, 2012 9:03 AM

Sep 2010
1. My favorite anime series/films are Toradora, Kanon, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal. I enjoy these for a variety of reasons, specific to each, but all share the commonality of strong character development, likeable characters, and strong production/storytelling.

2. I've attended one convention, which I went to last year.

3. I've shared my spiritual life with other anime fans frequently. We've engaged through my blog and through email conversations.

4. No.

5. I grew up in a Christian environment. I am currently a practicing Christian. I lead the outreach ministry of my church.

6. Age: 30; Race: Asian American; Residency: Texas; Gender: Male
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker
Sep 26, 2012 9:19 AM

Feb 2012
Kuroshitsuji, the manga. Very entertaining, great characters, keeps you guessing,
No
No
No
I'm an apathetic atheist
17, white, Ireland, male
Sep 26, 2012 9:36 AM

Apr 2011
I'm not sure if I understand the questions correctly, but please accept these answers.

Elfen Lied, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, Jigoku Shoujo, Ookami Kakushi, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, 11Eyes, Another. I love this because I am interested about these animes. Why? Because their themes are black, and psychological. They're sad anime(s)
I love to but I don't attend and I dont belong to a club.
Gomenasai
Hmmm... I'm a follower of Christ, I attend mass every Sunday and I'm a fellow Christian, to be exact, Catholic.
16, Asian, (race?)asianwhite, ...Philippines,Manila, Female

Spirituality Survery? Umm a survey on how anime changes our life spiritually? Hmm why the others above are atheists?.. Well that's America and some countries. Our country is religious compared to others(to be honest).
---
Sep 28, 2012 4:15 PM
Mar 2010
Here I go then
1. Bleach, Fairy Tail, Madoka Magica. The first two is due to me being a fan of fantasy action anime. The characters are all pretty cool too. I liked Madoka just because of how well it is written as far as the character dynamics are concerned. There is a lot of parallelism with MM and the real life and consequences associated.
2. I answer yes to both. It's been around 3 years already.
3. Not really, although I know a lot of them are practicing Christians.
4. Nope, cons here in the Philippines do not have panels.
5. I grew up in a Christian family, and I attend church during Sundays. I believe in God, but I won't really argue about religion in hopes of proving myself right. I guess that's an element of Agnosticism there.
6. 19, Asian, Quezon City, Philippines, Male
Sep 28, 2012 5:49 PM

Sep 2011
1. Anime: Tiger & Bunny. Manga: Great Teacher Onizuka. Why? Characters are probably the biggest reason, along with humor.

2. I don't go to conventions or belong to a club. I was in an anime club for a few years in high school though.

3. Nope.

4. N/A

5. I grew up going to church with Christian relatives whenever I visited them, but I'm not religious. I suppose I would be atheist, but I don't really think about it much.

6. 20 / White / MI, U.S. / Female
Sep 28, 2012 7:11 PM

Aug 2011
1. Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood because of the amazingly detailed plot as well as the conclusion. Manga: Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan because of feelings.
2. Only been to one so far and it was only for one day.
3. Uh... no.
4. No, why would a panel be about religion?
5. Atheist
6. 17/Chinese/BC, Canada/Female
Sep 28, 2012 7:28 PM

Jan 2010
1. Kanon 2006 - Because It moved me deeply.
2. No.
3. Only on the internet.
4. No.
5. I grew up catholic, turned to a "soft catholic" (didn't really believe in it) in my teens, turned to a real catholic now.
6. 21, white, São Paulo, Brazil, Male.
TWRWMOMSep 28, 2012 7:32 PM
TWRWMOM - Thus you Will Remember What it Means to Oppose Me. ( Numeros 14:34 )
Sep 28, 2012 8:05 PM

Feb 2005
1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Best characters and best story in all anime. IT R FACT
2. Nope
3. No
4. Njet
5. Existential and moral nihilist. Often practice the classic Dionysus bottle-worship.
6. 24, nordic, Norway, M
Sep 28, 2012 8:19 PM

Mar 2012
Also not really intrigued, but I've started to enjoy talking about myself.

1. It's a toss-up between Redline (because it has endless re-watch value and looks damn cool) and Birdy the Mighty (because I spent way more money on it that I should've).

2. Not yet and no. I plan on hitting Sakura-Con next year, though.

3. Aside from my sister, I don't believe so. We share the same views.

4. N/A.

5. Godless heathen and damn proud of it.

6. 19 / Extremely White / Washington / Male.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Sep 29, 2012 1:14 AM

May 2011
1.What are your favorite anime/manga. Why?

Fushigi Yuugi. Simply put I loved the story and the characters.

I have been to many anime conventions, because I enjoy them.

Nope.

Nope.

I don’t believe in a god or deities.

6. Basic Identifying questions: Age, Race, State of Residency, Gender

Over 30. Female
Sep 29, 2012 2:03 AM
Dec 2011
1.What are your favorite anime/manga. Why?

Clannad,I cried,laughed and experienced something that changed my life.

i attended convention and was in anime/manga club it was nothing special

Nope.

Nope.

Atheist

6. Basic Identifying questions: Age, Race, State of Residency, Gender

16,Asian/male
aiueowaveSep 29, 2012 2:16 AM
Sep 29, 2012 10:41 PM

Apr 2009
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your help!

More topics from this board

» Have you seen the movie above? v5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Jun 28, 2021

8764 by Uneasinesss »»
7 minutes ago

» Which character from the above user's favourite list would you sleep with? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KryzakamiHrybami - Feb 20, 2022

1883 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago

» lowercase chat thread v.21 ghouls and goblins edition ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KayKimii - Oct 13, 2023

6534 by anime »»
9 minutes ago

» Rate the song above you v.7 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Aug 12, 2022

3447 by Uneasinesss »»
9 minutes ago

» Will you hug the person above you? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ishowhatred - Jan 28, 2021

3011 by OniMage »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.