Forum Settings
Forums

Guide to converting Tsukihime game CD music to ogg so music works in game.

New
Sep 14, 2007 9:27 PM

Oct 2006
Ok I'm doing an update to try and simplify this by making it into a visual guide.
Although ONScripter, the interface program that runs the translated Tsukihime game, supports mp3 music, I've heard that it has less problems with ogg.

Below is mirror-moon's original instructions located in the readme file in the patched game directory. I used it to create a guide that might be easier for the more visually oriented people.

First download and install Cdex. You'll be using this program to grab or rip the audio from the Tsukihime CD and convert it into the ogg format. After you install the program, you need to configure it to convert to ogg since it defaults to mp3 initially.
This guide uses CDex Version 1.70 beta 2 for the screen captures, a different version may look different from the pictures. Launch Cdex and it should look something like this:

Step 1: Open the options menu:

Step 2: Then click on the tab that says Filenames. Here you either need to remember where the program is going to save the converted files or specify a location for the program to save the files where you can find them easily like the desktop.

CDex defaults to My Music\MP3\ under My Documents. My setup is non standard and My Documents are saved to a different drive. Standard XP settings will probably have a save path that looks something like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Default User.WINDOWS\My Documents\My Music\Mp3. You can change the save path to whatever you want, as long as you can find it later on.

Step 3: Next click on the Encoder tab. Here you need to change the default mp3 encoder to the ogg one.

Step 4: Check that all the setting are the same as in the picture below:

Step 5: Next hit the OK button and we'll move on to the actually ripping. Insert the Japanese Tsukihime game disk into your drive. If you have more then one CD/DVD drive and/or virtual drives please select the one where the game disk is located, in this area here:

Step 6: After the correct drive is selected all the audio tracks and one data track should load into the main window. Here you need to select the audio tracks only. An easy way to do it is select the first audio track, press and hold the shift key, then select AudioTrack10. It should look like this:

Step 7: Then you need to hit the second button down on the right hand bar called "Extract CD track(s) to Compressed Audio File(s)". Located here:

Step 8: After you hit that button, a little window will pop up showing the ripping and conversion progress. Wait for it to disappear before proceeding to the next step.

Step 9: After the ripping and conversion, we are done with CDex and all that remains to moving the files to the game directory. You can close the CDex program now. Then open the directory where you told CDex to save the converted audio files. Or just look at your desktop if you told it to save the files there. Note: The ogg files should actually be located under two more sub directories called no artist, then no title. This is because if you have a music CD, CDex can connect to the Internet and download the CD title, artist and song names. If this had been a music CD, then it would have saved it in directories under the Artist and Album Title by default. Since we didn't connect to the CDDB no artist and no title is used.
The files should be named the following:

Step 10: Now we need to rename the files so that the Tsukihime games recognizes them. The naming conventions are track01.ogg, track02.ogg,...track10.ogg.

Rename all the files into the new name format.

Step 11: Finally, all that remains is the actual moving of the files to the Tsukihime game directory on your hard drive. Open the Windows Explorer, and click your way to where the mirror-moon patch installed the game. In that directory, you should see another sub directory called CD. Open it, this is where you need to move the converted and renamed ogg files. If the directory isn't empty, then move whatever files you found in that directory some place else.

And that's it, your done. Start the game and enjoy the music.

CDex is also handy to have for ripping mp3s from CDs, remember to change the setting for the encoder back to "Lame MP3 Encoder" if you want mp3 files.

If you have mp3s and don't want to start from scratch refer to PimpToad's post below.
kioOct 27, 2007 2:30 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 6, 2007 5:54 PM

Aug 2007
Before we begin...
DO NOT INCLUDE THE DATA TRACK IN THE ENCODING PROCESS!!!
IT IS NOT NEEDED TO MAKE THE GAME WORK!!!
JUST ENCODE TRACKS 01-10

Let me help with this...
*Knowledge of encoding is small, but I'm sure I can be of some help* =P

Converting from lossy to lossy compression (mp3-ogg) will result in a further degradation of quality. If possible, just keep it on the original format. Since ogg support is better than mp3 in Type-Moon games, we will do some mp3 converting! The best way to convert from lossy to lossy is to first convert it into a wav file. Most audio players on your computer should support the conversion (foobar200, itunes, etc) so I will not go into further details.

So now you have the wav file, its time to convert it to ogg!

I personally prefer oggdrop for ogg vorbis conversion, but cdex is a handy all in one tool if you just need an all around converter.

Lets start with Cdex, nifty all around converter tool.
http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/?q=download (pick which version you want to use)

1. Start up the program and go to options
2. Go to Encoder and choose Ogg Vorbis Encoder
3. Make sure 'Use Quality Setting' is ticked and is on 5.00 (160kbps) You may go higher if you wish, but 160kbps would suffice.
4. Go to filenames and pick the destination of the encoded files.
5. Highlight all of the wav files you want to encode. Drag and Drop.
6. Encode!

If you don't like Cdex, then you can use oggdrop
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggdropxpd.php (pick which version you want to use)

1. Make sure you download the 'oggdropXPd lossless support DLLs' found at the bottom of the page or oggdrop won't work. Place in the same folder as oggdrop.
2. Load it up and stare at the fishy in the box.
3. Right-Click the box and choose encoding options.
4. Tick 'Standard Quality Mode' and set it to 5.00 (160kbps) or higher if you wish. Press Accept.
5. Right-Click again and choose 'Select Output Directory'
6. Tick 'Set Other Output Directory as Default' and choose the directory.
7. Highlight wav's you want to convert and drag and drop to the fishy box.
8. Watch the fishy spin while it converts.
9. Yey, you are done! ^_^

Naming your converted files:
Now before we start off with this, you have to make sure that you allow extensions for known file types. If you don't have this enabled and you rename the track "Track01.ogg" it would actually appear as "Track01.ogg.ogg" which is wrong.

To enable extensions for known file types...

1. Go Open My Documents or something
2. Then go to Tools -> Folder Options
3. Go to View, then look for "Hide extension for known file types"
4. Make sure this is UNTICKED (as in no check)
5. Apply -> Ok

Now you should see the extension of the file, like "XXX.ogg"

Rename your converted tracks using the following format...

without the quotes
"Track01.ogg"
"Track02.ogg"
and so on until you hit Track10

Now take tracks 01-10 copy/paste them to the CD subdirectory of your Tsukihime installation, which should be somewhere in Program Files if you used default installation options.

Run the game to see if the sound works.

Hope you found this useful and feel free to ask any questions^_^

Edit: Added naming formats and general edits.
Edit: Guide feels inferior due to kio's recent post...xD
PimpToadOct 26, 2007 8:39 PM
Oct 6, 2007 6:32 PM

Oct 2006
Welcome to the club PimpToad and thanks for the update.
I didn't realize Cdex could handle ogg, since I rarely use it and then it's only to rip some songs from a CD into mp3s. So if you only want to install one program, then you only need CDex to convert the mp3 to wav, and then from wav to ogg.
Oct 6, 2007 6:48 PM

Aug 2007
Heh no problem^_^

Cdex is a great all in one converter if you don't feel like doing any advanced options for encoding. So its great for the normal end user^_^

Will edit whatever if anyone finds a mistake in my guide.
Oct 26, 2007 8:33 PM

Aug 2007
Wow you actually made a visual guide...*too lazy to do that* xD

I dare anyone to actually mess this up...
and if you do...
Grab some rope and go make yourself a noose...xD
Oct 27, 2007 12:06 AM

Jun 2007
Kio you must have alot of time on your hands ^^
(reminds me of me checking for update every hour or so of the day for UBW)

Anyway still must say nice guide and nice illustration :o)
Oct 27, 2007 11:08 AM

Oct 2006
Haha thanks. Someone was still having trouble with it, so I actually read what mirror-moon wrote. Since I was already testing it out, taking screen caps didn't take much more time. The content was a little different then what I previously wrote so I ended up doing an update.
Oct 28, 2007 7:53 PM

Apr 2007
thank you guys. well if i screw this up, i know a Lows nearby. il let you guys know if i can figure it out this time.
May 1, 2008 2:59 AM

Apr 2008
Well for those who dont want to rip the music off the game disk i uploaded the tracks onto megaupload

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PCWHP5W7

(theres a secret song i stuck in there... have fun with it)
Dec 27, 2008 2:02 AM

Jul 2007
Can someone tell me where to get the Kagetsu Tohya music files? There are supposed to be 18 treacks somewhere in the disc but I CANT find them anywhere. I know how to convert them i just cant find them. -.-
Dec 23, 2013 9:15 PM

Nov 2012
I can't thank you enough for this :'D You really helped me out.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Favorite Fate/Stay Night Route ( 1 2 )

FakerEmiya - Nov 2, 2008

79 by PenkoPenko »»
Apr 21, 4:43 AM

» What did you think of Heaven's feel 3?

DiogoT555 - Apr 4, 2021

2 by PenkoPenko »»
Apr 21, 4:23 AM

» Favorite Type-Moon Character ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Sobzob - Jul 27, 2007

259 by PenkoPenko »»
Apr 21, 4:04 AM

» Heavens Feel Discussion

FakerEmiya - Nov 2, 2008

27 by SpaceTheGamer »»
Aug 17, 2017 1:58 PM

» Nasu-verse powers!!!

Cloudy - Oct 27, 2008

14 by SpaceTheGamer »»
Aug 7, 2017 11:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.