Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2008 4:26 PM
Apr 2008
Ok who wants to go this Convention in Leeds???
I know that I am going for a fact, as I live there and am gonna make a weekend of it and i've already bought my ticket and will probably go with some mates from home.

Thing is now we need to no who can make it, so we can caculate how much it would take to pay for train tickets and such, and the earlier the better so they are cheaper rsvp asap as we've got our grant moneyl and its burning a hole in our pockets...

The convention itself is the 22nd Leeds International Film Festival, with anime screenings and cosplay (who get in free, and theres also gonna be dimensional manga whtever that is) on the saturday 15th Nov from 10 till 5 and if you buy your ticket online you get an invite to an afterparty featuring all the guests who were there that day, and thts on at 8 (which I'm definitely going to ) of course some people won't be able to do that and would then get the train home. I was also thinking that if people do want to stay, they can stay over at my house (of course this is a big IF, as I've yet to tell my parents and we'd have to get the bus and walk a bit cause i live like on the outskirts of leeds in the countryside/village) and we can have an afterparty ourseleves there or something and watch anime till dawn, and get the train on the sunday??

How does this sound?

Also say if u wanna go as well :)

and Rachel copy and paste this into next newsletter please:)

plus i was thinking we could ask questlands, Northumbria AS and Durham AS and we could all go together in 1 group!!
Ging554Oct 16, 2008 4:34 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Oct 19, 2008 8:10 AM

Oct 2007
Awesome idea! I shall get this sorted when I get back from work. I will write the newsletter and email the various societies :P Then, when we get feedback from everyone then I will send an update out mid-week :P

I'd better go to work now.. I start at 4.30pm ^^;

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Oct 22, 2008 1:43 AM
May 2008
You know, I was just coming on here to ask if anyone was going! Looks like you beat me to it XD
Yeah, I THINK I'm going... Not too sure yet as I've gotta sort out money and stuff :P
So it's true that the train tickets increase in price the later you leave it? Ack... *hasnt been on a train so has no idea* I live in newcastle, so I'd have to get it from central...
I can't go to the after party. I'm not over 18 ¬¬ damn XD
Do you need a ticket if you cosplay? I take it you don't if cosplayers get in free, but I'm not sure...
Whoops... long message ^^;
Oct 22, 2008 4:02 PM

Oct 2007
I am looking at the possibility of hiring a coach. I should only take 2 hours to get there and it may be cheaper than the train. It'll be about £30-40 for train tickets each, wheras if I hire a coach we could maybe split the cost between however many people come along, with subsidised travel for members.

It says cosplayers get in for free, so I'll be attempting that. I'll bring enough money for a ticket just in case, although I will be probs be buying merchandise anyway so I'll have money.

TwilitWolf, you are welcome to join us if we get a coach ;)

Check out SunnyCon! The North-East of England's newest and biggest convention of anime, manga and Japanese culture!
Now a club on MAL too!

Oct 23, 2008 4:20 AM
May 2008
£30-£40 for a ticket?? *cries*

A coach would probably be better... and thanks for the invite btw ^^ I think I'm going with other cosplayers though, and they were talking about getting the train (as far as i know)... you'll know who I'm on about, right? The people who go to the meets on Saturdays?

Ack... I dunno what to do! But thanks again for the invite ^^ I feel loved XD
Oct 23, 2008 4:13 PM

Oct 2007
Well, ask them if they fancy going by coach instead since it will be waaaay cheaper.
I mean, if we get enough people it could be less than £10 per person. Plus we get to have fun on a private coach instead of worrying about train times and sharing it with other members of the public.
Just email me if anyone wants to come along on the coach. I need numbers so i can book up.

Now a club on MAL too!

Oct 24, 2008 1:25 AM
May 2008
Right, I'll try and get in touch with them :) If push comes to shove, I might not be able to afford a train ticket anyway >_< This is the last day of school before the hols, and I don't have the net... erm... I'll try get on at a friends house if I hear anything about arrangements and such :)
Nov 9, 2008 4:24 PM

Oct 2007
OK, I have emailed a coach company requesting a 24-seater coach.
I need 24 people to fill that coach in order to make it cheaper for everyone. I am awaiting the email telling me how much it will cost.

Ok... so I think maybe we have 10 people at the moment.. with a couple more thinking about it.
Seriosuly, if you have friends, tempted them with the idea that there will be comic book artists there! And lots of merchandise.

Now a club on MAL too!

Nov 10, 2008 8:22 AM

Oct 2007
OK, coach is hired....

£15 per person. 24 people need to turn up otherwise I will be £360 out of pocket.
And I will be very angry.

Now a club on MAL too!

Nov 20, 2008 7:03 AM

Aug 2007
I demand a postmortem.
Nov 21, 2008 3:04 PM

Oct 2007
It was an awesom day. Everyone who said they would definately turn up, turned up. I didn't have to pay an extortionate amount by myself and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

We were a mixture of cosplayers and regular dress, and our lovely coach driver, Kath, first though we were a hen night or something, before she realised it was 7.30am and there were guys in the group :P

We had a couple of L cosplayers, a couple of Misa cosplayers and Ben and I were the Androids from Dragonball Z.
Then Phil dressed up as Otani from lovely Complex by borrowing my cardigan. He looked just like him :P
We ate pancakes and croissants on the trip down to Leeds, arrived in just enough time to get in the queue for a few mins and go straight in.

There were so many wonderful stalls and everyone was pretty much spent up by 1.30pm. Soul eater figurines were very popular.

Phil was disheartened that nobody knew who he was dressed as, so the Dimensional Manga people who were running the cosplay contest asked him to be a judge.
It was an awesome atmosphere as everyone stood around in a big circle and one by one people paraded in their cosplays.
It was narrowed down to 5 amazing cosplayers.
The final was a close fought battle between an practically perfect Edward Elric (whose only down side was that it was a girl... and no Vic Mignogna voice :( ) and a well-acted Dr Who.
Despite the fangirly protestations and vast support for Ed, the good Doctor won.

We had a problem in that 2 of our lot went missing and we searched for them for a few hours... but they turned up 20 mins before we had to leave. Turns out they were shopping in Leeds City Centre and neglected to let me know... and they were the only 2 people I had forgotten to get contact details from..

But yeah, it was awesome!
If I weren't going to be in Japan next year, I'd go again :P

Now a club on MAL too!

Nov 25, 2008 9:24 PM

Aug 2007
Sounds nice, wish I'd been with you all =)

cabbit-chan said:
Then Phil dressed up as Otani from lovely Complex by borrowing my cardigan. He looked just like him :P

Phil, let me just say, you're a genius =P
Dec 8, 2008 8:56 AM

Oct 2007
Hey! It was my cosplay cardigan! I was the one sewing the red bands round the arms and cutting out the funny star shape...
And I was the one who suggested he cosplay as Otani XD
I am the genius! lol

It was a good festival but we all wish we were in Japan with you instead ;)
Everyday in Tokyo would be a cosplay convention XD

Now a club on MAL too!

Dec 16, 2008 10:21 AM

Aug 2007
OK, you're a genius too. Genius hats all round. みんな天才達だよ。

With the obvious exception of schoolkids, (and then only in theme - anime school uniforms could do with a dash of realism) you'd be surprised how much people in general fail to resemble anime characters. There's always the guys with the spiky hair and (I suspect) makeup but other than that there's not a great deal of 'perpetual cosplay' ambience. That said, Akihabara station and around always looks like a plague of nekomimi maids has just hit, and I have yet to go to Harajuku on a weekend and take a butchers at Meiji Jingumae...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Dragonball: Evolution

rachelcabbit - Apr 3, 2009

0 by rachelcabbit »»
Apr 3, 2009 4:05 PM

» New Society Ideas

Ging554 - Dec 10, 2008

0 by Ging554 »»
Dec 10, 2008 4:52 PM

» Christmas

rachelcabbit - Nov 13, 2008

2 by rachelcabbit »»
Nov 18, 2008 5:53 AM

» Fall Season 2008

duarteslm2 - Oct 13, 2008

4 by YourMessageHere »»
Oct 25, 2008 10:52 AM

» Society Rules?

Ging554 - Sep 29, 2008

7 by rachelcabbit »»
Oct 16, 2008 1:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.