Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What do you prefer?
Apr 7, 2012 7:30 AM
Apr 2012
To say that Hellsing Ultimate OVA is “butchers work,” is to say nothing indeed. A previously noble and unique effort in the Original HeLLSing release, has been all but shattered by the “Ultimate” garbage. All this, to please the “lowest common denominator,” the 12 year old boys in the viewing public, what a waste. The film has been restructured and unrecognizable. The dialog has been dumbed down, the story twisted and changed for the worst. The atmosphere is fully destroyed and psychological tension is lost. The characters are talking in such a way that, one gets a feeling a high school freshman wrote the dame script in half an hour during lynch. The characters spend time explain things that need not be explained, losing their depth and making the dialog shaky at best and shitty at worst.

This new remake is sad, the thing makes me nauseous, the whole first episode of Ultimate is pre-chewed unapologetic pile of crap! They inflicted “Ultimate” injury by adding hollow sexualization, retarded empty chatter, and needless details, this is to name just a few mindless changes. One example is the “Police Girl” character. She is reportrayed as a feeble female, immature, fragile, inexperienced “damsel in distress.” For some illogical reason she had to be a virgin to be vampire? WTF? Crap like this lacked logic, story became denatured and the characters became brittle shades of themselves from the original film. They cheapened a great thing and in the end the story and characters were cannibalized in order to appeal to a “lowest common denominator.”

When I experienced the original, I was moved and taken by the film. I call it a film, because it is something grand, a masterwork of animation, were the story is enticing, the characters deep, mysteries; the atmosphere enchanting and hunting; the tone superb, the lore ancient and foreboding. In the original, the characters display emotions and reactions that are well done and realistic. Alucard is noble, mysteries, wise and ancient. Police girl is not a cowardly hyper-sexualized meat sack, but a real character with faults and charms. In the “Ultimate” garbage the characters seem flat, one sided and deficient. In conclusion, if I was to watch “Ultimate” garbage first, instead of the original, I would not have made it past the first episode…
Jul 21, 2013 3:19 AM

Sep 2008
This is not 'technically' the original, if you use the same definition of original as the fans do. Its like Fullmetal Alchemist is not the 'original' anime even though it came before the really really 'original' anime, cuz somehow 'original' anime should always be the one that follows the manga. PBHT! Weeboo fanboys!
As for your post, i agree. One of the most tragic things to happen on MAL is the increasing acceptance of ultimate as a better experience than the TV series. When people recommend it normally, they claim that Ultimate is somehow superior, when they fail to understand that thematically and in terms of intent, they are completely different.

Personally I didnt like ultimate at all. I gave very good reasons for my dislike in a thread that some fanboy mod deleted some time ago. The whole topic was deleted when there was nothing in it that infringed the rules.
eyerokJul 21, 2013 1:22 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Sep 3, 2020 3:05 PM

Nov 2013
This is so wrong, that it's almost admirable.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jul 17, 2021 12:52 AM
May 2021
I'm ... I'm genuinely astonished at the ignorance of this post.

First of all, hellsing and hellsing ultimate are completely different in terms of tone, theme, and plot. I see your frustration, as someone who fell in love with the 2001 anime, but now only sees it criticized and compared to ultimate. But you also have to remember hellsing ultimate is a direct adaptation of the manga. People weren't too happy when their beloved manga was adapted before being finished and given a very strange alternate ending.

You're entitled to your opinion and I genuinely do not care if you like ultimate or not. I'm glad you had a positive experience with an adaptation of hellsing because i absolutely adore the series. However, some of the things you said prove you haven't paid much attention or declared it trash without watching more than a bit.

Seras Victoria does seem powerless at first. However, it's the same as the original. But imagine her situation - she's a police officer trained to arrest humans. Though the hellsing organization can call upon D-11 officers, she most likely had not experienced it herself. She watched her friends be killed and turned into nightmarish, brainless ghouls. And suddenly, she found herself being groped by a true vampire, claiming he was going to sexually assault her. She was terrified. If she moved, there was no telling what he would do.

And later in the series, she develops into a strong-willed, powerful character. As early as episode 2, she seems to awaken another side briefly, that mercilessly kills an entire group of ghouls. When she fights alongside Alucard, and later is tasked with being on her own, she gets stronger in her abilities and her new vampire form. By the end? She proved to be a very strong force in the war that occurs and became the new "trump card" of hellsing. Not to mention, both she and Alucard contributed to the series' strong themes of trauma and war.

You call the writing flat and the dialogue cringeworthy. That's your subjective opinion. But really, both adaptations had faults. Hellsing was extremely fast-paced and caused a lot of people confusion. Hellsing Ultimate fell flat in comedic scenes most of the time and didn't give development or screentime to some potentially interesting side characters. Regardless, both had pros as well, and I think you judged this series much too harshly, and somewhat childishly, because it didn't go the way you wanted it to. The irony is, it actually follows the manga, unlike hellsing 2001.

Also, the virgin bit about the lore goes into vampiric lore and christianity. Vampires were heavily Christian-based, being seen as demons, and rituals to dispose of them were extremely varied. However, virginity is a very prized concept in christianity, being closely associated with purity. It's common vampire lore that virgins are the only ones who can be turned. Hellsing Ultimate is obviously deep-rooted in Christianity.
egirlycardJul 17, 2021 1:00 AM
b]Respect the funyarinpa.[/b]
Jul 17, 2021 1:02 AM
May 2021
Also, can we take a moment and laugh at the fact this user make an account solely to make this post and named it "Cruel Intentions"...
b]Respect the funyarinpa.[/b]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hellsing Episode 8 Discussion

KillthisAccount - Dec 22, 2009

33 by liliyoa »»
Apr 23, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Hellsing Episode 4 Discussion

KillthisAccount - Dec 21, 2009

31 by liliyoa »»
Apr 16, 11:48 PM

Poll: » Hellsing Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KillthisAccount - Dec 23, 2009

74 by bubba460z »»
Feb 25, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Hellsing Episode 12 Discussion

31 by bubba460z »»
Feb 25, 10:12 AM

Poll: » Hellsing Episode 11 Discussion

28 by bubba460z »»
Feb 25, 9:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.