Apr 4, 2012 3:42 PM

Aug 2011
im going to sakuracon this year for the first time,
what should i be looking forward to
and any other tips?
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Apr 4, 2012 3:45 PM
Jan 2012
Never been to one but I'm sure you'll be standing/walking a lot..so start walking around your block to get use to it xD
Apr 4, 2012 3:51 PM

Jan 2008
Strange, I swore it was on the March 30th, 31st and 1st. Must have changed dates.

Tips? Brings lots of money.
Apr 4, 2012 4:30 PM

Sep 2008
I've been to a anime convention once, and the best tip was given above.

Bring lotsa money. You'll be amazed at all the useless goodies you'll want.

If anything, I would suggest is to find the programation and make yourself a schedule. Or else you're gonna end up all over the place and missing stuff.
Throw sticks or stones and I'll break you're bones, but words...I'll just delete 'em.
Apr 4, 2012 4:55 PM

Feb 2009
Some tips.

Learn to avoid sleep, have some energy beverages handy.

Wear GOOD walking shoes, you will be in them a LOT.

Know the weather forecast, be ready for it ie rain needs are different from blazing sun.

Carry only small sum types of currency, store immediate use funds separate from your reserves (thus you can't lose all of it in one accident). Ditch anything in your wallet not needed for the event (leave it at home or the car and safe from accidents).

Leave behind any seemingly cool electronic gadgets you don't truly need. People love to rip those off eh.

Get a con schedule of events and plan out your day. There likely will be more to see and do than physically possible if the con is any good.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Apr 4, 2012 5:08 PM

Mar 2012
If you're like me and money isn't something you have a lot of, brush up on your negotiating skills. When I went to ZomBCon a couple years ago I was absolutely broke and I managed to leave with about $150 worth of stuff.

Otherwise, I second pretty much everything that's been said so far, including bringing a ton of cash.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Apr 4, 2012 8:56 PM

Sep 2008
Nice, I'm also heading to Sakura-con and it'll be my first con too. :D

There are actually some great threads on the sakura con forums that I've found helpful, which have plenty of general tips for getting through the convention in one piece. Here's a link to one of them:

Sakura-con Forum: Con Survival Guide

My list of vital things to bring has definitely gotten a lot longer thanks to this thread.
Apr 4, 2012 9:31 PM

Mar 2012
You guys should let me know how it goes. I've been debating going for 2 or 3 years but I've never been sure enough to blow $50 on a ticket plus whatever "useless goodies I'd want".
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Apr 4, 2012 9:43 PM

Mar 2012
Terminatez said:
Never been to one but I'm sure you'll be standing/walking a lot..so start walking around your block to get use to it xD

If someone has to get used to standing and walking, they have much bigger problems on their hands.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 4, 2012 10:22 PM

Mar 2009
Have fun, I can't go this year. Take lots of pictures. Study the program so you can prioritize the events.
Apr 5, 2012 4:34 AM
Jul 2018
Had my first some while ago. Go with friends, much more fun than going alone. Don't act shy, everyone will be as weird as you (XD) so you can loosen up. Bring water and some sandwhiches, specially if you plan to buy any anime swag, you don't want to waste on food.
Apr 6, 2012 9:19 AM

Sep 2008
Soo glad I preregistered for the con online. The preregistration room was desolate this morning when I walked in.

Meanwhile a friend of mine has been waiting in the registration line for two hours. He says he's halfway there. xD
Apr 6, 2012 11:20 AM

Jun 2009
There are a few different ways of attending cons. I, for example, don't spend a dime past registration, food, and lodging when I go to cons. This is simply because merchandise doesn't interest me.

If you like figurines and wall scrolls and all that, bring money. I usually hear that $200 is a good benchmark for how much you'll want.

If you're more into the social aspect, then you'll be much more subject to the nature of the individual con. Some cons, particularly smaller ones, are much more inviting. With larger cons, people are often too busy to stop and chat with strangers. Larger cons are also likely to attract more of the bad sides of the anime fandom.

Also, there will be furries there. They're at every con. Don't let it bother you.

On the topic of cosplay, if you're a single man, prepare yourself. It's a mixed bag, but there are plenty of women out there who take cosplaying as an excuse to show off some skin.

Do sleep. Get at least a few hours each night. I've gone all 3 days without sleep before, it's not as much fun as you would think. Nothing goes on before the afternoon, so you can stay up late, but go to bed at some point.

And my last and most important tip: bring friends. Everything is better with friends. If you have no friends to bring, then by golly make some new ones. 99% of con-goers will be open to chatting with strangers. Some of them may be shy or socially awkward, but no one will judge you. Unless you're a furry.
AbstractCalamityApr 6, 2012 11:35 AM
Apr 6, 2012 11:30 AM

Jul 2010
JoshSalas said:
Terminatez said:

If someone has to get used to standing and walking, they have much bigger problems on their hands.

I'll keep my opinion on sports for myself, but that aside, even our small local con had us standing around for 8 - 12 hours straight. Almost no sitting at all. Bring the wrong shoes and you're screwed. I can only imagine a bigger event where you're going around the place for the entire duration of the con, waiting in lines, with barely any time for sleep. Rampant obesity aside, even a reasonably fit person would have trouble standing around all day, I think.
Apr 8, 2012 12:33 AM

Sep 2011
bring cash as a lot of the booths wont' accept visa etc.
yes on the comfortable shoes.
yes you will be hot and standing or walking all day.
buy your tickets and register online ahead of time cause the lines to enter a lot of cons can take hours.
Most food on site will be very expensive, even drinks like coffee or soda.
Apr 8, 2012 11:34 AM

Dec 2010
I hope you have good cardio, you'll need it. Other then phsyical readiness, money will definitely come in handle.

My sincerest suggestion is don't put it all on a card, like a debit or anything. Actually have most of it in your wallet. Sort it and make it neat, having a clusterfuck wallet just makes you look sloppy and stupid.
Apr 8, 2012 11:54 AM
Oct 2010
lucky you. wanted to go. all has been said. also be sure that if you are buying goodeis be sure to walk the dealers room once or twice over. one place may have something cheaper than another. good shoes are definitely needed. i took my DCs and my legs were hurting after i got home lol.
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Apr 8, 2012 3:06 PM

Jun 2009
Lauriet said:
I hope you have good cardio, you'll need it.

Cardio? What for? I have some of the worst cardiovascular endurance I know of, and I have never had any problems. It's muscle fatigue that will get to you. The only reason I can think of that you would get cardiovascular strain is if you rave.

More topics from this board

» Fight the above user with the last letter! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SnipeStrike - Apr 1

1684 by Rhae »»
7 seconds ago

» Do you want the avatar above you in a hentai? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IpreferEcchi - Mar 29, 2018

333 by Kazeninjaryu1 »»
15 seconds ago

» Is the above user cringe or based?

WutIsDis - Sep 17, 2021

41 by iHateAnimeBro »»
42 seconds ago

» Ask the person below you a question. v34 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kunii - Mar 28

3908 by iHateAnimeBro »»
2 minutes ago

» Vent something v.3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Steph - May 7, 2023

5648 by ToastWithNutella »»
2 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.