Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2008 8:37 AM
Jun 2008
Have any of you noticed an influx of younger fans? I have both on the fanfiction site I use and other places, like a blog on the internet that the author had to block replys for all Shugo Chara stuff because of the replys of the imature younger fans. I can't remeber where I found it, I think someone else pointed it out.

But on the fanfiction site, there are fics that are filled with gramatical errors and plot holes that when I've left advice, the writer replys back rather imaturly for the most part with no want to actually improve themselves. I've also caught two who are under the age of thirteen... which is against site rules. (I am thinking it is MUCH more.)

I've also received comments from some of these writers that their fanbase indicated in reviews and number of favorites indicate how much of a 'respectable author' they are. Yet there are almost no older reviewers in their.

And the ones who act immaturly, they give the younger ones that act maturly a bad clasification for their refusal to actually act more mature. They seem to think that the only group that really matters is their little clique of friends and any outside impute isn't warrented.

I know it is probabbly like this in other fandoms, in fact, one of the other's is Gauken Alice. But what exactly do you guys think of this and have you had problems with some of the younger fans who do not act mature?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 24, 2008 6:48 PM

Jun 2008
Well I think Shugo Chara is aimed for the younger kids.. and teens too so uh I'm not sure why'd you mind... Also can you give me the link to the fanfiction site? I'd love to read fanfictions of Shugo Chara. :D
HEY!
Sep 25, 2008 1:48 PM
Jun 2008
Aina-Chan said:
Well I think Shugo Chara is aimed for the younger kids.. and teens too so uh I'm not sure why'd you mind... Also can you give me the link to the fanfiction site? I'd love to read fanfictions of Shugo Chara. :D

Don't get me wrong, for the most part, if the author is happy and thinks they have done the best they can do, I am fine with them NOT changing it, but some of them think that they are supposed to write for their fans first, not themselves and then the fans. They also make so many excuses that don't work.

And there are things that they can't make excuses for... I mean, anything that breaks site guidelines for one... and making sure their fics are legible, in other words readable on the site is another. And the only time I do emphasize more a rewrite is when they don't seem to be getting their ideas completly down.

But what really is iritating, well not so much iritating, but more of upsetting is, the site I go to is for thirteen and up and I have seen eleven and twelve year olds on the site, thinking it is alright to be there. Technically their breaking the law, and since I know their age, they are likely to become likely targets for flamers, not to mention online preditors!

And believe me... when they don't know how to destigish a critique from a flamer, not to mention a confused reviewer from a flamer, they are going to be in a world of hurt later on when they do get flammed. They don't just assume that hard critiquers like myself are flammers, they assume anyone or anything that says anything negative is a flamer.

It might be said I've become an advacate for making sure that the young reviewers understand certain behavior isn't safe, and certain behavior, like flaming is actually wrong. I've seen quite a few who've quit or completly removed fanfics because of one author. Which I might make the point, I'm really refering to the ones who lack common sence when it comes to the net. And some have behavior so immature... in the case of the one 'comments' thing, they've only made others suffer, which was the point of that.

Sorry about the rant... but I'm really worried about their physical safety, not to mention the fact that they have so little knowledge in life that they can't handle a critique and call it a flame... that and I'd rather they be doing things for themselves, not because someone, even myself told them to do or not to do somehting... unless it is about removing their age from their site.

The site is called fanfiction.net ... it is one of the largest fanfiction archives out there. Shugo Chara is listed under Anime/Manga. The other thing about this site is, unlike publishing fanfiction on some other place... it is concidered to be actually published and is expected to be published quality... in other words, not rough draft.

(Oh, and this site used to be only for eighteen above parently and all stories above M were removed. M's are also blocked unless you set it up to accept them into the search.)
Feb 7, 2010 11:36 AM
Jun 2008
Aina-Chan said:

It is fanfiction.net... and it seems to have matured, since 2008. I would say, perhaps it is aimed for younger kids over in Japan, but the Manga has what I believe is a 13+ rating on it.
Feb 7, 2010 3:03 PM

Dec 2008
Even though Shugo Chara is aimed towards younger teens, there are a few.. situations.
It's mainly directed towards the ages 10+, right? Well, from the filler episodes in the anime, that's what I can conclude.
I see the manga as being a bit more mature.
Who knows?

And fanfictions are usually written so the author is happy, not really for the sake of others or anything.
Well, actually, by reading a few, I don't see what's so great about them.
Guess the fanfic writers just write what's on their mind without a recheck or anything.

I've seen the site and honestly, there are many things that normally older people are supposed to be writing, but once I see the writer's age, I feel somewhat annoyed.
And grammar, yeah, I'd like to kill.
Feb 7, 2010 9:52 PM
Jun 2008
I think that the Anime gets as low of a rating as it does, because it does cut out a lot of the stuff that happens in the manga, and had a ton of filler added to it. For example, from the manga...

But there are a few things that push the issue of PG-13 rating, and some parents might have a fit over. There is a boy who crossdresses as a girl, though that doesn't come out until much later. There is the fact that an older guy has a crush on someone more then three years his younger. And we must not forget Amu's character change with that littel Devil Chara.

It was so scimpy, they had to change up the design for the Manga covers, but most people don't realize this, and assumed that was supposed to be Amulet Cross. Might I add, there is a sister who crushes on her older brother, supposidly. I say, not geared towards a ten year old audience here.

I think one of the reasons people think that it is geared towards elementary school students, is because it is about elementary school students. The same with Gauken Alice, another Anime that rather pushes, but not so much, the PG-13 rating. But that is like saying that Ookami Kakushi is appropriate for middle schoolers, because it is about middle schoolers. Fact is, it is rated R.

I find an anime that is more geared towards the age ten age group, to be Yumeiro Patissiere. The anime is rather clean cut, no rather problematic issues, at least from what I have seen. But, this can be seen as my opinion in the matter, and isn't definate. Truth also be told, we'll have to wait until it gets released in the US and hopefully dubbed well, to tell who it really is supposed to be geared for, and if it is a different rating then the Manga, which I double checked... it is 13+.

One is correct that at times fanfiction is usually written so the author is happy. But that isn't, when you decide to post it to the net, what it is supposed to be about, and a good deal of the younger writers completly miss it. Of course, there are people who happen to write that way, and they are OLDER then me.

I've seen some writers who feel that since it is their version, as they like to call it, that they can do whatever they want. It doesn't matter that they made a character that someone else created, do something they normally wouldn't do, without it being explained. (Discluding what is called crack fic, and only the well written ones of these.)

It also doesn't matter if they set it in an AU setting, and that if one were to go and change the names of the characters, what one would have, isn't fanfiction, but original work desquised as fanfiction. This, is concidered a big no-no amoung the fanfic writers who write to also improve their writing.

I've also told one or more fanfic writers when on some of the fanfics that, if the original creator of the fandom, were to go and read their fanfic, to ask themselves, would they be flattered, or insulted. And if the awsner is, insulted, I tell them straight out, don't expect the readers of the fanfic not to say something about it.

Your also right about people not writing stuff that is age appropriate for them. I've seen ten year olds write stuff that was rated PG13 and above. I've seen thirteen year olds write M rated fanfics. In fact, one of the fanfics that used to be in the Shugo Chara archive, but has since been deleted, was written by a person younger then they were supposed to be, to be on the site, and they tried writing about college, yet they knew nothing. And all the other kiddos who knew nothing, were jumping all over it, simply because it had their favorite pairing in it. Yup... exactly why I started this forum topic...
Mar 24, 2010 3:18 AM

May 2008
this looks intresting im starting to read now " Stare "
Aug 27, 2010 8:01 PM
Jun 2008
While Shugo Chara is in with all the Graphic novels, I went to a used book store, that is high chain. They had a graphic section of things they concidered appropriate for thirteen and younger, and then a section of stuff that was appropriate for older. Shugo Chara was in with the older section, and I think the Anime will get a simular rating, if brought over here.
Jun 11, 2012 7:55 PM

Apr 2012
I agree that some people may be to immature to read it but it depends on the individual. But i admit that the manga was kind of... mature. Besides Utau being in love with ikuto (her brother) for most of it, Ikuto liking Amu ( who is five years his junior),some of the character transformations (short-shorts,mini skirts,and shirts that show the stomach, etc.) not to mention scenes like ikuto sleeping in amu's bed with her and such i can see why it could be rated 10+. But rating it PG may be a little...off.10+ is more of an appropriate cut off limit.I've read some fan-fiction for Shugo Chara! and Fruits basket that were written by writes that don't belong in the fan-fiction community with the way that they treat it.If they want to past an un-spell checked fan fiction on the net for their friends to read they should post it on their facebook.
Mar 11, 2013 8:37 PM
Jun 2008
necomimi said:
I've read some fan-fiction for Shugo Chara! and Fruits basket that were written by writes that don't belong in the fan-fiction community with the way that they treat it.If they want to past an un-spell checked fan fiction on the net for their friends to read they should post it on their facebook.

It's not just Shugo Chara! and Fruits Basket though. I critique fanfiction as I've may or may not have mentioned. There are quite a few stories that are more of something they should be sharing with their friends, like these group inserts where they and their friends create their OCs and make them run around in the fandom despite the fact their OCs honestly don't fit in. They'll either group write on one account or all write different stories on multiple accounts. There are also the RPGs that they try passing off as fanfic simply because said RPG was an RPG for a particular fandom despite it being original work.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tadase Hotori or Ikuto Tsukiyomi

mitsuki_17 - Jan 9, 2010

10 by -Ayu »»
Dec 20, 2016 10:54 AM

Poll: » Favorite character ( 1 2 )

atlantiza - Jan 28, 2008

80 by -Ayu »»
Dec 20, 2016 10:54 AM

Poll: » Your favorite shugo chara characters pairings.. ^^ ( 1 2 3 )

MeikyuuButterfly - Apr 5, 2008

104 by -Ayu »»
Dec 20, 2016 10:53 AM

Sticky: » Member cards **OPEN** ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Susurrous - Apr 2, 2009

683 by SilvionBlade »»
Dec 1, 2014 12:41 AM

Poll: » Which band is better

MahoDisgaeaNegi - Dec 23, 2008

11 by VanillaNorthwind »»
Aug 24, 2012 1:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.