Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2008 11:05 AM

Jan 2008
I cant tell you the amount of people who have visited my profile and havent even been aware I actually have an anime and manga list. The two links in the top right need to be more prominent, considering they're the reason the site exists in the first place. Bolden them, center them, make them catch the eyeballs, just something!

They're too tiny and out of the way at the moment. It not only doesnt make sense aesthetically, but they're also completely passed over by (admittedly witless) visitors a lot of the time. Witless they may be, but its a fact that in this day and age internet users' eyes scan sites in seconds and then just move on to another site. You have to hook them within seconds, and right now it takes quite a few seconds to actually find the links to our lists. Even though they're right at the top, the profile is so jam-packed with info, the user's eyes automatically are dragged downwards and stay down there, even though they're meant to be finding my anime list. By the time they remember, they've already visited other sites, shut down their computer and its the next day:

"So what did you think of my list?"
"What list?"
"Uh, you did check out that link I sent you last night, right? My MAL profile?"
"Yeah, you only have 5 favourite anime?"
"Did you look at my anime list?"
"I didnt see no list."
"I have two lists, one for anime and one for manga."
"I didnt see no list. Didnt feel like spending too long on that site, I had to message peeps on Facebook."
"The links are at the top, you didnt see them?"
"I didnt see no list."
"Are you blind?"
"I saw some stats though, 220 completed anime? Cihan I think you need to go out and get laid."
"Maybe I had sex with your mum yesterday."
"That's not funny."

---

I just think the list links need more attention, because this is My Anime List and not My Anime Facebook.

Thoughts?

EDIT WITH AN IDEA: Put anime and manga lists just before the 'review' tab on people's profiles. It'll definitely catch visitors attentions right away, and it'll just make the page look neater too.
BeatnikApr 14, 2009 3:43 PM
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 18, 2008 11:27 AM
Sep 2007
You can always link people directly to your list?... But seriously now, you're right. These two little links in the top right can be easily overlooked by someone who visits MAL for the first time. I remember that when I started using MAL I was surprised by their position. I quickly got used to it, but still, if someone "scan sites in seconds and then just move on to another site", he/she can not notice them.
Aug 18, 2008 2:49 PM

Jan 2008
freedoleen said:
You can always link people directly to your list?

Yep, that would be the recommended course of action. But in principle, those links should be way more prominent. I still cant believe they're just regular looking innocent links in a corner.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 18, 2008 2:55 PM

Jul 2008
Cihan said:
freedoleen said:
You can always link people directly to your list?

Yep, that would be the recommended course of action. But in principle, those links should be way more prominent. I still cant believe they're just regular looking innocent links in a corner.

Ironically, that has the same problem in a reverse effect. Who'd know that clicking on the username in the top left corner took you to a profile of the person's anime list you're reading.

As difficult as I can imagine this would be to remedy, it's a pretty good point.
Aug 18, 2008 6:10 PM

Nov 2007
I link friends directly to my list. Why do they need to see my profile, they already know me. >.>
Aug 19, 2008 12:07 AM

Dec 2007
I actually fully agree with this. I've thought before about it. Though no ideas come to mind for a good solution.

Just giving my support, kthx.
Aug 19, 2008 1:11 AM

Jul 2008
Asako said:
I link friends directly to my list. Why do they need to see my profile, they already know me. >.>

To show off your photoshop skills. :p
Aug 19, 2008 6:20 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
Anyone care to offer advice on a new location?
Aug 19, 2008 9:13 AM

Jul 2007
I'd rather bitch and moan without offering any solution.

Sam is my sweet peach
Aug 19, 2008 9:19 AM

Jul 2008
TheWestExit said:
I'd rather bitch and moan without offering any solution.

That's lucky. Being an arrogant shit stirrer would be so much worse.

How about next to the "Anime stats" and "Manga stats" respectively, with a stand out colour.. And incase I get bitten for not suggesting a colour too, maybe red?.. Or just a bold blue if you want it to fit in better.
RethiceAug 19, 2008 9:31 AM
Aug 19, 2008 9:34 AM

Aug 2008
You can use the link as a signature on other forums. (If you havent done that, that is)

▬▬▬▬김유정 ▬▬▬▬
Aug 19, 2008 5:29 PM

Jun 2007
Xinil said:

Maybe two round edged colored buttons under the user details and Last list updates boxes.

Or just place the links under the Avatar where all the other profile related links are (ie. add as friend, send message..etc) since that catches people eye more then where the links currently are.
Aug 21, 2008 9:29 AM
Jul 2007
Xinil said:

I think directly under the photograph on the profile would be a good place. That's already an eye catching and prominent point on the profile, and a lot of sites usually list important info directly underneath the user picture.
Aug 21, 2008 8:49 PM

May 2007
Xinil said:

I actually like where it is right now. Fits nicely and neatly on the main profile page.

Maybe if you enlarge/bolden/change the font, it would help "stick out" more.
Aug 22, 2008 4:10 PM

Oct 2007
vindemon64 said:
I actually like where it is right now. Fits nicely and neatly on the main profile page.

Maybe if you enlarge/bolden/change the font, it would help "stick out" more.
This, combined with this:

DeathfireD said:
Maybe two round edged colored buttons
Apr 14, 2009 3:42 PM

Jan 2008
BUMP with an idea:

Put anime and manga lists just before the 'review' tab on people's profiles. It'll definitely catch visitors attentions right away, and it'll just make the page look neater too.
Apr 14, 2009 6:33 PM

Mar 2009
Cihan said:
BUMP with an idea:

Put anime and manga lists just before the 'review' tab on people's profiles. It'll definitely catch visitors attentions right away, and it'll just make the page look neater too.

I like this idea.

Even simply bolding the text links below the user picture would help make them stand out.
Apr 16, 2009 12:17 AM

Aug 2008
Oh no no no, no buttons. I think it's ok as it is but maybe slightly bigger font in right corner and bold (?) under profile pic might be helpful for blind visitors. Or just change names over bars to "Anime List Stats"/"Manga List Stats" where "Anime/Manga List" are links.

And by the way is it just me or bars and some spaces are messed up? It drives me crazy.
AntanaruApr 16, 2009 1:37 AM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Apr 17, 2009 2:01 PM

Feb 2009
Cihan said:
BUMP with an idea:

I think that's an interesting idea for placement, but it doesn't really fit into being a tab, since all the other ones would still keep you on the profile, where as the anime/manga lists would take you to a different page. Unless you were suggesting that we also have simple versions of our anime/manga lists in our profile as well. (no customizations, just standard black text white background MAL profile format to fit the profile style)
typographApr 17, 2009 8:50 PM
Apr 17, 2009 4:00 PM

Dec 2007
NanDesuKa_ said:
Unless you were suggestion that we also have simple versions of our anime/manga lists in our profile as well. (no customizations, just standard black text white background MAL profile format to fit the profile style)

Oh god I would love this. Like the Recently Added section of Add Anime & Manga but in list form.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.