30.5%
No
56.3%
Maybe/unsure/rather not answer
13.2%
901 votes
Nov 13, 2011 9:32 PM

Sep 2010
Like the title might suggest, I wanted to know: are you a feminist? Also, how do you define feminism?

I am a feminist. My definition of feminism is the dictionary definition, "the theory of political, economic, and social equality of the sexes." I am a feminist because I support, hope for, and work towards equality for people of all sex and gender identities.

Here is an article about feminism/feminists my friend recently showed me that uses the same definition I do: http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-criticism/yes-you-are/

I do have a bit of a problem with this article, because I'm a big supporter of self-labeling, so I don't think you should force anyone to label themselves feminist, even if they fit the definition. Some people are uncomfortable with the word, especially considering all the baggage it brings, mostly due to so-called feminists giving feminists a bad name (I'm talking about the female-supremacist man-hating stereotypical "feminists" who support woman power, not equality). But now I'm getting really off topic.

Anyway, back to my main point: Do you consider yourself a feminist, and how do you define feminism?

Please stop trolling. This thread will be moderated. Unnecessary comments joking about rape, for example, are completely unacceptable.
TachiiAug 4, 2013 9:32 AM
"Your Pikachu's electric sacks are in super shape!"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (40) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 13, 2011 9:44 PM

Sep 2011
She asked if you were feminists and supported equal rights for all genders. She didn't ask if you were a sexist, idiot.

I agree with your definition, PrincessV. :)
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Nov 13, 2011 9:53 PM

Apr 2008
Flaming/trolling posts removed.

Nov 13, 2011 10:08 PM

Jan 2011
princessv said:
I am a feminist because I support, hope for, and work towards equality for people of all sex and gender identities.

Egalitarian... or so I hope.
Anyway, let's hear your big proposal as to how males and female could even be equal when

• A 'definitive' difference in terms of genes due to chromosome presence/absence, which results in
  • ...Apparently, Neuroscience says they think differently
  • Extreme differences in hormones released

That's biological. Currently the observed differences amount to

• On the average, muscle mass of men is greater than women (Do prove me wrong with a paper, I'd love to read)
  • An observed difference in Top-level mathematical ability(clearly arguable, but hey, I'd love to see you try what kind of 'Top-Level' mathematical ability you see in women)
  • Possible jobs, though it ranges by region also, and possible as an effect of
  • Unequal education (Well, much more reduced, but probably still exists)
  • Social expectations, though again with 'feminism' these are not strong anymore

I'd love to hear your proposal on treating either (A), the biological, fundamental differences or (B), the observed effects in society. You want equal? Give me equal.

EDIT: And just to answer topic: Maybe.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Nov 13, 2011 10:42 PM

Sep 2010
@Zmffkskem: First of all, "different" does not necessarily mean "unequal."

(A) I am not going to try to change biological differences. That's not going to happen. I want to change "political, economic, and social" differences. (Though I would like to point out that these biological differences are based on cisgender men and women. So you are actually talking more about male vs female then man vs woman. While the definition I found said "sex," I also care about gender, as do many feminists.)

I would also say that the muscle mass thing is more a biological difference than an observed effect, because that is too largely effected by hormones to claim it's a socialized thing. Of course, part of it is socialized, because men are typically encouraged to be muscular while women are encourage to be thin.

(B) How to change the observed effects? That is what the feminist movement has been doing since it began. In fact, you can even look back at the women's suffrage movement as an example from before the term "feminism" existed.

I won't even try to say all the ways to do it, because I'm sure I'll leave parts out. But here is part of the plan: encourage women. Pretty simple, I would think. Encourage women to give math and science a try. The reason I've always heard to explain the observed difference in top-level math ability is that women are discouraged to pursue top level mathematics. Same with the unequal education thing. Of course, this varies widely by region, but in the USA men are usually more encouraged into grad school than women (Though, interestingly, last I checked there are slightly more women than men in undergrad. But once you get to grad school there are significantly more men). In the work force, encourage women to pursue higher jobs and speak up. The most commonly given reason I've heard about unequal pay is that women don't want to ask for a raise, because that is just they way we have been socialized. Apparently men have no problem asking for a raise.

Also, need to teach men to treat women equally. Don't treat them as sex objects; treat them as human beings.

Of course, men also should be encouraged to pursue higher education and jobs and all that fun stuff. But right now men tend to be encouraged more than women, so that need to be evened out.

And I am also an egalitarian.

@gigglingidiot: Thanks. And I love your signature. Never heard that quote before, but now I'm totally going to use it.

@Saitoe: Thanks. I was actually away from my computer for a while, so I didn't even see the flaming/trolling post(s).
princessvNov 13, 2011 10:45 PM
Nov 13, 2011 10:44 PM

Feb 2007
let people do whatever they want to do. If a woman wants to be a body builder or a man wants to be a househusband, whatever. Why does it even matter to you?

I dislike the term feminism.
Nov 13, 2011 10:53 PM

Aug 2010
If Feminism is simply the equality of the 2, why not simply call it sexual equality? To me, feminism DO mean women to power, because how can this word mean equality if it focus only on the female part. Where is the Manilism, that will watch the men interests to ensure it wouldn't go bellow women and stay equal if they we reach it? (But who am i to critic words...)

It happen already and nobody see it happen, like with the cancers. Has anyone of you EVER saw some kind of adds or something about prostate cancer? (beside no-shave november, that probably only 1/10 know that it's about that and not just some jokes) And what about the breast cancer? It's not like there is fewer cases of prostate cancer than breast ones.

I am for equality, weird that in our society and ages it didn't happen yet. But true equality is utopian anyway, just like communism, our society is too flawed (in commy cases, greed) to make it happen. Maybe in a few more generations, sex equality might happen, when all the current oldies/conservatism/zealous religious... finaly die and would stop rulling our countries.
Nov 13, 2011 11:15 PM

Jul 2011
Nope. Not a feminist. I'm too traditional when it comes to gender roles, stereotypes, and capability. Exceptions do apply, but it is considered the norm for a reason.

My definition of a feminist is a person (no gender specified) who presses for female power regardless what rights they have in comparison to their counterpart, be it less, equal, or more. To a degree, I feel there is no end to the demands of feminine control. Radical feminists have become the face, voice, and headache of the feminist movement, who I feel fall more into a different support group.

I'm sure I'll get a bunch flak for it, but eh. Now, what I am for is Human Equality. What I mean by that is everyone is treated equally. Disregard gender, race, age, or handicap. When it comes to political rights, social rights, sexual rights, job equality, it should all fall under equality and the capacity if a person is able or not.

Now that sounds pretty nice and flowery right? Equal rights... balance of control...fair level playing field. But in this so called ideal world, that means rulings such as Affirmative Action, minority quota, and other pro minority laws are hindering equality. If you are aiming for equal, you better mean it.
Nov 13, 2011 11:22 PM

Sep 2010
@Maal: I would also prefer the term "sexual equality." I don't really like the term feminism, because of the emphasis on the "fem" part (it actually took a couple years for me to get over my dislike for the word). However, in our world, feminism is more often used and recognized, so I simply choose to stick with the words already out there (also, women tend to get worse treatment, so we do need to focus on helping females more than males, so I guess the word sort of makes sense?). So I call myself a feminist, because I fit the definition and it is the most commonly recognized word.

And I believe the word you are searching for is "masculinism" (or "masculism"). It's a real term. You can look it up. I sort of support masculinism; I have problems with that term, because some people use it to mean anti-feminism and support for male dominance. If more people used it I might consider using it to describe myself, but I'm scared people might think I mean I support male dominance, so I'm not comfortable with it just yet. And actually many feminists support men's rights as well as women's, so I'm just going to stick with feminist for the time being.

Actually I have seen ads about prostrate cancer. I don't know why it gets so much less publicity than breast cancer. I actually just looked up the statistics just now, and it looks like prostrate cancer is actually more common than breast cancer (1 in 6 v. 1 in 8). However, death from breast cancer is slightly more common than death from prostrate cancer (1 in 35 v. 1 in 36). I would like to see it get equal treatment in the media and funding. This is actually one of the cases where men lose out compared to women.

@selective_yellow: I would be interested to hear exactly why you dislike the term feminism. I'm going to assume it's either the focus on the female part or the history of the word and movement, unless you say otherwise.
Nov 13, 2011 11:30 PM
Jul 2011
I believe in equal rights and opportunities for women. But it does not mean that there are no differences between men and women. (I'm a guy, BTW.)
Nov 13, 2011 11:31 PM

Aug 2010
princessv said:
@Maal: [snip]

Yeah, i didn't look the for the word enought... and i know why breast cancer get more publicity, a boob is prettier than a random internal organ, and people feel less ashamed to say they have breast cancer than prostate, cause it doesn't involve an anal inspection.
Nov 13, 2011 11:40 PM

Sep 2010
Maal said:
princessv said:
@Maal: [snip]

Yeah, i didn't look the for the word enought... and i know why breast cancer get more publicity, a boob is prettier than a random internal organ, and people feel less ashamed to say they have breast cancer than prostate, cause it doesn't involve an anal inspection.

Yeah, I guess you're right. That's why there's that whole "I love boobies" campaign. Maybe we should start a "I love prostrate" campaign? Except that probably wouldn't really get the right message across...
Nov 13, 2011 11:45 PM

Sep 2008
Feminism in a nut shell. " I want all the benefits of being treated like a man and all the benefits of being treated like a woman and none of the draw backs associated with either!"
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 13, 2011 11:56 PM

Feb 2007
Actually why not egalitarianism? It's much nicer.

That's the problem with the term feminism. People think there is nothing else. Plus, it is certainly not just women v men.

:(

You should set aside your thoughts about women and men struggling and look at the bigger picture. Feminism holds women back, in my humble opinion. We shouldn't be so focused on pitting men against women.
SY_IS_DEAD_IRLNov 13, 2011 11:59 PM
Nov 13, 2011 11:57 PM

Feb 2010
Maal said:
If Feminism is simply the equality of the 2, why not simply call it sexual equality? To me, feminism DO mean women to power, because how can this word mean equality if it focus only on the female part. Where is the Manilism, that will watch the men interests to ensure it wouldn't go bellow women and stay equal if they we reach it? (But who am i to critic words...)

selective_yellow said:
Actually why not egalitarianism? It's much nicer.

"Sexual equality"? Oh, please. So we can pretend male standing is an issue? Anyone that values concise language will point to "feminism" as the precise term.

I'm not a feminist. While I support our culture's movement toward equality for all, I disagree with certain feminist ideas such as adopting "gender neutrality" in language. More than that, I feel we have little reason to whine. Women have it good these days.
Nov 14, 2011 12:41 AM

Nov 2011
I am a Marxist. I stand for full equality for all genders, but understand that class struggle and class oppression is the basis for all oppression (gender, racial, national, sexual). I struggle for the overthrow of capitalism and the creation of a classless society that can truly put an end to the oppression of women and all other oppressed groups.
Nov 14, 2011 12:42 AM

Jun 2008
Jigero said:
Feminism in a nut shell. " I want all the benefits of being treated like a man and all the benefits of being treated like a woman and none of the draw backs associated with either!"

Pretty much this.
The dictionary can say whatever it wants but feminist isn't about equality. How could it be. The world it self starts from the word "female". No matter what the feminist supporters want the dictionaries to write the truth is that feminist is about females having all the rights of men but still be treated with special women privileges when it is convenient.
If you support true equality and you are not like that then you ain't a feminist. Maybe the feminism did mean that when it started but words change meaning depending on the meaning society gives them. And most feminist in society right now are like Jigero said so the word feminism has new meaning and the dictionaries are simply out of date or try not to initiate conflict. There was a time when being gay meant you are a happy person. Now it just means you are a homosexual. Words change depending on their usage and the usage of the word "feminism" in today's society means anything but equal rights supporters.
So dear princessv, if you are an equal right supporter then just declare yourself that or find some new word. The word feminist just won't do and your post claiming that you call yourself feminist because of popularity it's just wrong, the word "feminist" certainly isn't a popular word about "equality" anymore and you are delusional if you think so. And no most feminists DON'T support men rights as you think ether, the only place they support men rights is when they try to wright what feminism is in a dictionary.

princessv said:

And I believe the word you are searching for is "masculinism" (or "masculism"). It's a real term. You can look it up. I sort of support masculinism; I have problems with that term, because some people use it to mean anti-feminism and support for male dominance. If more people used it I might consider using it to describe myself, but I'm scared people might think I mean I support male dominance, so I'm not comfortable with it just yet. And actually many feminists support men's rights as well as women's, so I'm just going to stick with feminist for the time being.

Just go and ask 100 men i the street what is the "masculinity movement". The vast majority if not all will have no idea wtf you are talking about. So no masculinity isn't even used for anti-feminsm or male dominance at all and is mostly used to described male characteristics and nothing more. Am a male and i would call myself supporter of masculism or whatever because it just sounds stupid and there is no such movement. A few idiots that might think there is are too few to change how the vast majority uses the word "masculinity" which is nothing more than to describe strong male features.
MonadNov 14, 2011 12:49 AM
Nov 14, 2011 12:58 AM

Sep 2009
hellogoodbye said:
Oh, please. So we can pretend male standing is an issue? Anyone that values concise language will point to "feminism" as the precise term.

There are several things men are disadvantaged for; the main one being fathers getting access to children after divorcing their wives. This is one key social aspect which women are clearly better off.

Men can also be disadvantaged in rape cases sometimes. I have heard the stories of men being falsely accused of rape by women; this means the man's name will be printed in the newspaper (causing him all kinds of harm) while the woman won't have hers printed. While I can appreciate the need to have the woman's name censored, being accused of rape could ruin someone's life.

---

I disagree with Monad. While I appreciate the definition of a word varies with its use, you are not talking about the 'definition' of feminism but the connotations the term has.

As for the 'masculinity movement'; the autonym of masculinity is femininity, not feminism.

The movement against feminism is known as Anti-feminism and I assure you that it is very much a real social movement.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Nov 14, 2011 1:10 AM

Jun 2008
AnnoKano said:
hellogoodbye said:
Oh, please. So we can pretend male standing is an issue? Anyone that values concise language will point to "feminism" as the precise term.

There are several things men are disadvantaged for; the main one being fathers getting access to children after divorcing their wives. This is one key social aspect which women are clearly better off.

Men can also be disadvantaged in rape cases sometimes. I have heard the stories of men being falsely accused of rape by women; this means the man's name will be printed in the newspaper (causing him all kinds of harm) while the woman won't have hers printed. While I can appreciate the need to have the woman's name censored, being accused of rape could ruin someone's life.

---

I disagree with Monad. While I appreciate the definition of a word varies with its use, you are not talking about the 'definition' of feminism but the connotations the term has.

As for the 'masculinity movement'; the autonym of masculinity is femininity, not feminism.

The movement against feminism is known as Anti-feminism and I assure you that it is very much a real social movement.

Well as you your self said is called "anti-feminist" not anything that has the word masculine inside. That was what i was trying to say.

And you may say that i am talking about the connotations the words has when i talk about feminism but in the end am simply talking about the "true meaning". Basically what it really IS. Not connotations or definition (definitions are given by dictionaries anyway and i clearly made an argument against the way of dictionaries). Just what it TRULY represents. Simple as that, because lets face it. THAT is what truly matters.
Nov 14, 2011 1:13 AM

Jun 2007
Women won't be equal in the U.S. until they are required by law to sign up for the selective service.
Nov 14, 2011 1:18 AM

Jul 2011
I'm all for everyone having equal opportunity and rights. By some people's definition that would be pro-feminist....I don't really care how it's labeled though to be honest.

Unfortunately, when I think of feminist debate or conversation I always view it as vs. men. That is to say, man is the key to the problems women have. Which isn't necessarily true.

Take one line for example "Also, need to teach men to treat women equally. Don't treat them as sex objects; treat them as human beings. " While this is true, it's hardly the entire picture. Take for instance women who...to put it bluntly dress like whore's then are suprised that they are treated as such. I don't see a reason to take that further, if one can't grasp the problem behind that, well....there's no use in trying to explain it. This too could be shifted to man, saying that men set unrealistic cultural expectations on what a women should look like or dress like, but that seems like a scapegoat to me.

At the end of the day, I think woman is her own worst enemy. Although, with today's pop culture, it's not something I consider shocking. Not to say women are at fault for how things are currently, because that certainly wouldn't be the entire picture. There's numerous pieces to that puzzle, but I often question how much self respect some really have.

Nov 14, 2011 1:27 AM

Jun 2008
rekindledflame said:
I'm all for everyone having equal opportunity and rights. By some people's definition that would be pro-feminist....I don't really care how it's labeled though to be honest.

Unfortunately, when I think of feminist debate or conversation I always view it as vs. men. That is to say, man is the key to the problems women have. Which isn't necessarily true.

Take one line for example "Also, need to teach men to treat women equally. Don't treat them as sex objects; treat them as human beings. " While this is true, it's hardly the entire picture. Take for instance women who...to put it bluntly dress like whore's then are suprised that they are treated as such. I don't see a reason to take that further, if one can't grasp the problem behind that, well....there's no use in trying to explain it. This too could be shifted to man, saying that men set unrealistic cultural expectations on what a women should look like or dress like, but that seems like a scapegoat to me.

At the end of the day, I think woman is her own worst enemy. Although, with today's pop culture, it's not something I consider shocking. Not to say women are at fault for how things are currently, because that certainly wouldn't be the entire picture. There's numerous pieces to that puzzle, but I often question how much self respect some really have.

Why are you trying to raise matters in a way of women vs men if you don't like it as you said?
Also how a certain man speaks to a woman or how a woman dresses should be irrelevant to an equal rights supporter. It has nothing to do with equal rights so you are just bringing irrelevant polemic matters into the discussion.
Nov 14, 2011 1:47 AM

Sep 2010
@monad: Actually, most feminists define feminism as wanting equality. The only people I have ever heard say that feminism means anything other than equality are non-feminists, who I think are the last people to ask about what feminism means, just as I would never ask a straight person to explain homosexuality or a woman to explain what it means to be a man.

And I never said that masculinism is a popular term, which is part of why I don't use it, because there are people who confuse it with anti-feminism, because they don't know what it means. Just like how some people confuse feminism with anti-man.

You are right about words changing meaning. But the dictionary is constantly changing. You can look up "gay" right now: the first definition I found was homosexual. Today feminism means equality for men and women. Long ago, it actually meant "the state of being feminine." But the dictionary changed along with the changes of meaning. So unless you are saying this shift of meaning occured within the last year or so, you can trust the dictionary.

Perhaps to you (and many on this site) feminism represents all that anti-man feminazi bullshit, but to everyone I know in real life and many people I've met online, it represents the desire for equality. Give me a couple days and I can probably find hundreds of women who agree with that definition. I can find well over a dozen in a minute (I am surrounded by self-identified feminists). That is why that is what you will find in the dictionary, on wikipedia, in scholarly texts, etc.

Also, all the feminists I've met support men's rights, like in the situations AnnoKano mentioned. I certainly do. I would like you to find some actual feminists and talk to them. Trust me, we are everywhere. Because I get the feeling everything you've heard comes from anti-feminists or the media, which you should already know is full of lies and propaganda. If you believe the media and not the dictionary, then... I just don't even know what to say.

Also, on a completely separate note, @incognitocoup: I haven't studied marxism enough to say if I totally agree with it, but I definitely believe that a huge part of the problems in the USA (if not the world) is based on capitalism and class. I would like to discuss this with you some more. Probably not on this thread, because that would be sort of off topic, but maybe I'll leave a message on your profile or whatever? (I want to call it a wall, but that's the facebook term)
Nov 14, 2011 1:52 AM

Dec 2010
I'm all for equal rights, but I dislike the connotations surrounding the term feminism. I guess egalitarian would be the term I would opt for, because that also includes characteristics such as race, religion, sexual orientation et al...which I feel avoids the 'man vs woman' argument which unfolds whenever feminism is brought up. (See this thread to see.)
Nov 14, 2011 1:59 AM

Sep 2010
@rekindledflame: Unfortunately, for a long time men have been seen as the oppressor, so a lot of feminists debates and discussions were about how bad men are and how they need to learn to be better. But I think that has started to change over time. Like I said, part of feminism is teaching men to respect women, but we also need to teach women to respect themselves.

I really have nothing to say about the women who dress like whores and are then surprised when people treat them as whores. I'm sure those women exist, but I don't know them. The only problem I have is when people think that someone's attire justifies rape. Sure, you can ask for sex, but if the person doesn't give consent, that is rape, no matter what the person was wearing or their occupation. If a prostitute says no, you have to accept that as well, even though their job is to have sex for money.
Nov 14, 2011 2:08 AM

Dec 2010
princessv said:
The only problem I have is when people think that someone's attire justifies rape. Sure, you can ask for sex, but if the person doesn't give consent, that is rape, no matter what the person was wearing or their occupation.

That was not what was implied at all by the police officer's advice which led to the SlutWalks in recent memory. It was not excusing (certainly not justifying) the actions of the would-be rapist. A person dressed provocatively is more likely to attract unwanted attention than someone else who is not so dressed. That this increased attention may also bring with it those persons who can't comprehend 'no means no' is inevitable.
Nov 14, 2011 2:10 AM

Sep 2010
Jack_Rav said:
I'm all for equal rights, but I dislike the connotations surrounding the term feminism. I guess egalitarian would be the term I would opt for, because that also includes characteristics such as race, religion, sexual orientation et al...which I feel avoids the 'man vs woman' argument which unfolds whenever feminism is brought up. (See this thread to see.)

I am lucky enough to live in a place where feminism hasn't been destroyed by all the man vs woman arguments I've seen here, and where "feminism" is basically defined as gender egalitariansim. I like that egalitarianism includes basically everything, but sometimes I feel the need to talk about specific aspects, so I use terms like feminist, anti-racist, queer-friendly, etc. But I really want to explain to the world what feminism relaly means, as defined by actual feminists.

And I want to point out that while most peole here may think feminism is an anti-man movement, we (MAL) are not necessarily representative of the world. Especially since this particular thread has such a small sample size. Perhaps most of the world believes that feminism is an anti-male movement, or perhaps most people think that it is an equality movement. If you can find a (good) study on that, I would like to see.

@jkun: Dammit, you caught me. But I stayed in the house, so can you forgive me? I NEEDED to leave the kitchen to wash my hair so I can look pretty for the men of the world. :P

Ugh everytime I finish typing a message, there are even more messages for me to respond to.
Nov 14, 2011 2:21 AM

Sep 2010
Jack_Rav said:
princessv said:
The only problem I have is when people think that someone's attire justifies rape. Sure, you can ask for sex, but if the person doesn't give consent, that is rape, no matter what the person was wearing or their occupation.

That was not what was implied at all by the police officer's advice which led to the SlutWalks in recent memory. It was not excusing (certainly not justifying) the actions of the would-be rapist. A person dressed provocatively is more likely to attract unwanted attention than someone else who is not so dressed. That this increased attention may also bring with it those persons who can't comprehend 'no means no' is inevitable.

I wasn't saying that the police officer associated with the slutwalks thing thought that provocative attire justifies rape. Luckily I think most people do not think that way. Unfortunately, there still are people who think dressing provocatively does justify rape, which is the problem. I think the focus should be more on teaching people that "no means no" rather than teaching women to dress a certain way. Especially since sometimes women dress modestly and still get raped. It's just that the most common justification I have heard for rape tends to be along the lines of "She was asking for it. Look at what she was wearing!"

... and now I'm starting to get tired and start rambling... I should log off. Just assume my response to everything from now on is feminism is good egalitarianism is good men are good women are good capitalism is bad the media sucks blah egalitarianism blah blah feminism blah... I'll try to give more coherent response to any future comments tomorrow, assuming I actually have any free time, which is unlikely.
Nov 14, 2011 2:24 AM

Dec 2010
As it stands, women are capable of getting away with crimes by just batting their eyelashes and having their activists protect them.

Nothing has really changed and gender equality is beyond human capacity. Because now we're suffering from value dissonance and an instant-gratifying outlook.

I'm feminine due to me being around females during my early to late childhood, but I don't root for femininist because the average person is uninformed to believe that it is only directed to females.

As the OP stated.... well, you know. The only way to even get close to this sort of pipedream is to make the education system the world over much better, nuke the hell out of the backward countries where women are simple docile stock, and fix the stagnation of people's values.
Nov 14, 2011 2:28 AM

Jun 2008
princessv said:
@monad: Actually, most feminists define feminism as wanting equality. The only people I have ever heard say that feminism means anything other than equality are non-feminists, who I think are the last people to ask about what feminism means, just as I would never ask a straight person to explain homosexuality or a woman to explain what it means to be a man.

You are right about words changing meaning. But the dictionary is constantly changing. You can look up "gay" right now: the first definition I found was homosexual. Today feminism means equality for men and women. Long ago, it actually meant "the state of being feminine." But the dictionary changed along with the changes of meaning. So unless you are saying this shift of meaning occured within the last year or so, you can trust the dictionary.

Perhaps to you (and many on this site) feminism represents all that anti-man feminazi bullshit, but to everyone I know in real life and many people I've met online, it represents the desire for equality. Give me a couple days and I can probably find hundreds of women who agree with that definition. I can find well over a dozen in a minute (I am surrounded by self-identified feminists). That is why that is what you will find in the dictionary, on wikipedia, in scholarly texts, etc.

Also, all the feminists I've met support men's rights, like in the situations AnnoKano mentioned. I certainly do. I would like you to find some actual feminists and talk to them. Trust me, we are everywhere. Because I get the feeling everything you've heard comes from anti-feminists or the media, which you should already know is full of lies and propaganda. If you believe the media and not the dictionary, then... I just don't even know what to say.

Media? Please don't give me that crub. To you think i haven't talked to people? I've been around a lot more than you. I lived in 4 different countries and did a dozen of jobs.
I talked to a lot of women claiming feminist and the vast majority clearly were pro women than equal.
You choose to shunt all those women by saying to me "talk to actual feminist". So basically you shunt that huge majority number of women as not "actual" feminist or call them like in your first paragraph as "non-feminist", simply so you can keep your word pure. Well sorry it doesn't work that way. When they are so many and use the word so often then they stole it from you and have changed the word whether you like it or not. They are just too big a part for you to comfortably dismiss them so you can put inside the feminist frame only the ones you like.
And btw you say all that but there is very big possibility that if we start going deep into issues, we will discover that ether you or many of your feminist friends aren't really that equal ether and that you just can't see it. Just look at your follow post here.
princessv said:

(B) How to change the observed effects? That is what the feminist movement has been doing since it began. In fact, you can even look back at the women's suffrage movement as an example from before the term "feminism" existed.

I won't even try to say all the ways to do it, because I'm sure I'll leave parts out. But here is part of the plan: encourage women. Pretty simple, I would think. Encourage women to give math and science a try. The reason I've always heard to explain the observed difference in top-level math ability is that women are discouraged to pursue top level mathematics. Same with the unequal education thing. Of course, this varies widely by region, but in the USA men are usually more encouraged into grad school than women (Though, interestingly, last I checked there are slightly more women than men in undergrad. But once you get to grad school there are significantly more men). In the work force, encourage women to pursue higher jobs and speak up. The most commonly given reason I've heard about unequal pay is that women don't want to ask for a raise, because that is just they way we have been socialized. Apparently men have no problem asking for a raise.

Also, need to teach men to treat women equally. Don't treat them as sex objects; treat them as human beings.

Of course, men also should be encouraged to pursue higher education and jobs and all that fun stuff. But right now men tend to be encouraged more than women, so that need to be evened out.

It's all about women gaining staff that lack behind men but nothing of the opposite. All about women. And the you claim of not being just about women. Sure you throw the men should be encourage too a a nice dust in the eyes but you don't really care. You just seem like another woman caring only about women. In some ways you are worse than the more fanatical feminist who don't play the equality lovers because you are also being a hypocrite with all that equality talk.
Also if you are gonna support equality then you should care about the world and not just the US.
Encourage women to take physic and math? What the hell does that mean? Did you see anyone in modern nations stopping girls from doing math and forcing them to do other subjects? Are we gonna force women to do things they are less good at or simply don't like just so we can have equal numbers at every got damn sector? Abusing freedom of choice for equality?
You are confusing being different to being unequal. If more men are into maths and physics its not a matter of equality it's just simply more guys are into that staff.
What does "encourage" mean anyway? How are men more encourage to pursue higher education or jobs?

As about the dictionary. Yes my claim s simple. Dictionaries are slow because they want to be commonly accepted and keep themselves out of conflict. I'm certain that the word gay probably took quite a few years being used in society differently before the dictionary change it and considering feminist claim equality even when their strongly pro-female it's even harder for people making dictionaries to change it quickly.

This paragraph is also ridiculous:
"Actually, most feminists define feminism as wanting equality. The only people I have ever heard say that feminism means anything other than equality are non-feminists, who I think are the last people to ask about what feminism means, just as I would never ask a straight person to explain homosexuality or a woman to explain what it means to be a man."

Feminist are the LAST people that should judge what is feminism. Are you real?
What a group or movement really is, is identified by the way the majority of OTHER people judge the group's identity.
Expecting the people that are already in a group to identify their true image instead of their ideal one or the one they want to project is pure madness.
Your straight and homosexual person example is completely irrelevant and absurd because that isn't about opinions and beliefs. It's about a physical and sentimental condition. Being feminist is a decision and opinion not a condition.

princessv said:

And I want to point out that while most peole here may think feminism is an anti-man movement, we (MAL) are not necessarily representative of the world. Especially since this particular thread has such a small sample size. Perhaps most of the world believes that feminism is an anti-male movement, or perhaps most people think that it is an equality movement. If you can find a (good) study on that, I would like to see.

Again you refuse to see reality. Just go to a few dozen of sites that are irrelevant to such subjects(for example MAL is for anime) and have some sort of diversity and make similar subjects. Lets see how much times you will have to see it before you accept it. This site isn't minority of most peoples beliefs about feminism at all.
MonadNov 14, 2011 4:27 AM
Nov 14, 2011 2:57 AM

Jan 2011
Wow, this GD is getting serious, but anyway

Multi-quoting for more clarity as to what I'm responding to
princessv said:
While etymologies are important(hell, a person 'good' in mythology needs to know the etymologies(i.e. something random like the Spear of Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli)), I wouldn't say that what they began from is what is taken as the meaning today. The popular meaning, basically, by democracy, is the meaning today. It suffers from democratic stupidity, yes, but that is because democracy suffers from democratic stupidity.

And no, I don't think the popular opinion is that feminism is an equality movement... Arguable, I guess. But it's simply not solidly an egalitarian movement.

princessv said:
I won't even try to say all the ways to do it, because I'm sure I'll leave parts out. But here is part of the plan: encourage women. Pretty simple, I would think.
If poverty was a simple problem, would you solve it?
princessv said:
Encourage women to give math and science a try.
Encourage? Do you mean more education? How do you encourage them? Give prizes? As a person who wants to enter the scientific community, I'd say that the prospects of a scientist or a mathematician are not bright. At least, comparatively speaking, there are probably better jobs such as accountancy and banking, which women are fairly welcome to do.
princessv said:
The reason I've always heard to explain the observed difference in top-level math ability is that women are discouraged to pursue top level mathematics.
How would they be encouraged? There is, of course, possibly a bias against women at this level, but because I'm not a mathematician I can't say. All I can say is that I have read reports of male domination at top-level mathematics.
princessv said:
Same with the unequal education thing. Of course, this varies widely by region, but in the USA men are usually more encouraged into grad school than women (Though, interestingly, last I checked there are slightly more women than men in undergrad. But once you get to grad school there are significantly more men).
Is that because they are not capable enough? Or they simply already want to work? Going grad school is, in my opinion, useless. A PhD today is worthless due to grade/degree inflation, and has absolutely no use except for anyone wanting to commit themselves to academia(And shut many doors)
princessv said:
In the work force, encourage women to pursue higher jobs and speak up.
Then again, if they were so capable, why not go for entrepreneurship? Being a boss is exactly just that.
princessv said:
The most commonly given reason I've heard about unequal pay is that women don't want to ask for a raise, because that is just they way we have been socialized. Apparently men have no problem asking for a raise.
I'm not working, and I haven't seen people asking for raises before, so I can't say.

princessv said:
The strongest opponent that is always the scapegoat is the media.

princessv said:

All in all, your big plan seems to be about encouragement. While it possibly is a step in a 'right'(don't get me wrong with the inverted commas, I do tend to put them) direction, there are some campaigns that have an effect, and others don't. I would say encouragement would have a limited effect at best.

The thing about such a thing is that, you are proposing inequality shifting towards female(i.e. a positive bias towards females) in order to correct this, like placing more weights on the lighter side for balance. In essence, it can be interpreted as promoting more inequality. As you said, you want to encourage women, but in what ways do you know and can prove that this means zero inequality (to men)?

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Nov 14, 2011 3:04 AM

Jan 2011
Lauriet said:
As it stands, women are capable of getting away with crimes by just batting their eyelashes and having their activists protect them.
Hoho, and the man isn't? Just pay some $, be smart, don't act stupid, and if your 'crime' isn't stupid enough and you're smart enough, you can be protected.

Lauriet said:
Nothing has really changed and gender equality is beyond human capacity. Because now we're suffering from value dissonance and an instant-gratifying outlook.
Yay for a demoralising paragraph.

Lauriet said:
I'm feminine due to me being around females during my early to late childhood, but I don't root for femininist because the average person is uninformed to believe that it is only directed to females.
The average person is uninformed to a lot of things.

Lauriet said:
As the OP stated.... well, you know. The only way to even get close to this sort of pipedream is to make the education system the world over much better, nuke the hell out of the backward countries where women are simple docile stock, and fix the stagnation of people's values.
It seems like this is a more plausible plan than any thus far. Except nuclear fallout is problematic, and instead of channelling money into the education system(which will not necessarily make it better, but...), we have people bankrupting or getting too rich and never wanting to work again.

「みんながいるからだ。」 - 棗鈴
Nov 14, 2011 3:56 AM

Aug 2007
No. I support women's rights but that doesn't make me a feminist. I will never be one because I will not want to be associated with people like Agnes Chan.
Nov 14, 2011 7:39 AM

Feb 2005
Egalitarianism here, if anything. Feminism just sounds wrong, no matter how people interpret it, the inherent meaning in the word carries with it a definite sexist feel.

But in the end, I'm all for a political and legal equality in so far it is doable and sensible.
The only major change I can think of that I'd request over here is to enable forced conscription for girls as well, or just ditch the whole thing.
Nov 14, 2011 8:16 AM

Nov 2008
I support equal political and legal protections but I'm nowhere near the level of feminist, girls need to join the selective service similar to what Baman said, women can shoot just as good as a man.

Nov 14, 2011 9:08 AM

Sep 2009
Monad said:

Well as you your self said is called "anti-feminist" not anything that has the word masculine inside. That was what i was trying to say.

Oh, I didn't realise. My apologies.

Monad said:
And you may say that i am talking about the connotations the words has when i talk about feminism but in the end am simply talking about the "true meaning". Basically what it really IS. Not connotations or definition (definitions are given by dictionaries anyway and i clearly made an argument against the way of dictionaries). Just what it TRULY represents. Simple as that, because lets face it. THAT is what truly matters.

Not at all.

First of all, what you are calling the "true" meaning of the word feminism is subjective. While you may perceive your perspective to be in line with everyone elses, that is a presumption on your part. The belief that all feminists are man haters may seem common to you (and perhaps most people would agree) but it is certainly not true of everyone. And indeed the degrees to which people believe the 'feminist' stereotype is subject to variation too.

Furthermore, unless you can find a better word to describe the feminist mindset (egalitarian comes close, but I don't think it is quite the same) you are just assuming connotations always fit the bill. Feminism comes in many forms and has existed for well over a century; the feminism you are speaking of is a relatively recent idea.

Finally, based on what you have said about feminism, would you also agree that the following are also true:

All Socialists and Communists are Stalin sympathisers.

All gay rights advocates are either camp effeminate men or butch, manly lesbians.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Nov 14, 2011 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Unfortunately there are alot of feminists out there who think it's not about equality, but that they should be more. With that said, I like to call myself an egalitarian. However what most despises me in this issue is that some feminists go with double standards for their own advantage, which absolutely pisses me off.
Nov 14, 2011 9:42 AM

Jan 2010
I'm a feminist, and I can't tell you how many people have asked me 'why I hate men'.. That's not what being a feminist is at all. And it saddens me that there are so many uneducated people in the world that thinks that, both men and women.
Though, we're on an anime site with what seems to be mostly teenaged boys active in the forums, so of course there aren't many feminists here. I mean, have you seen the shit that's in most anime today? Ugh, I wish I could find that video I once saw about sexism in media..
Nov 14, 2011 10:07 AM

Jun 2008
AnnoKano said:

Monad said:

Not at all.

First of all, what you are calling the "true" meaning of the word feminism is subjective. While you may perceive your perspective to be in line with everyone elses, that is a presumption on your part. The belief that all feminists are man haters may seem common to you (and perhaps most people would agree) but it is certainly not true of everyone. And indeed the degrees to which people believe the 'feminist' stereotype is subject to variation too.

Furthermore, unless you can find a better word to describe the feminist mindset (egalitarian comes close, but I don't think it is quite the same) you are just assuming connotations always fit the bill. Feminism comes in many forms and has existed for well over a century; the feminism you are speaking of is a relatively recent idea.

Finally, based on what you have said about feminism, would you also agree that the following are also true:

All Socialists and Communists are Stalin sympathisers.

All gay rights advocates are either camp effeminate men or butch, manly lesbians.

No you took my opinion as a lot more edgy than it truly is. First i based the correctness of my perspective in what the majority feels feminism is. Sure it can not be absolute but the true perspective of something like that is based on what most think of it. You don't need every single person to agree with such majority, the meaning of words change depending on how most people use them and see them.
As about the man haters thing? No is not about thinking of feminist is such an extreme light, sure there plenty of feminist who probably fit that too but my claim isn't that edgy so the Stalin examples are useless. Am not claiming that feminism is about hurting men, am simply saying that feminism is about helping and powering women and has nothing to do with equality. Am simply claiming that feminism is serving exactly the gender the word comes out of, not equality.
And if you check your history books you will see than in that perceptive the feminism am talking about isn't a recent idea at all. It has always been like that. The only reason it had the mask of equality is simply because when feminism started, women where so unequal that claiming their rights seemed like it was fighting for equality, now that mask is off simply because women aren't in the position they used to be and since feminism can do nothing else but serve only women interest, many times in our age it seems absurd because they don't really have much to claim anymore(well, at least in developed nations) so they fall into absurdities and the image of man hating.

Do you think that if we create a situation where the position of men and women is exactly the reverse that it was in the past where men where dominant, that suddenly feminism will start talking about equality for men? Do you really think that?

Feminism is about women and although due to their position in society in the past fighting for them was also a fight for equality now is simply an out of date concept that serves mostly female fanatic views or serves as a title for female gender love since equality has pretty much been achieved and there aren't much rights to claim that serve equality too. The only place feminism still has a role to play as serving in the side(not as equality) of equality is in the less developed nations.
MonadNov 14, 2011 11:14 AM
Nov 14, 2011 10:20 AM

Dec 2010
Baman said:
Egalitarianism here, if anything. Feminism just sounds wrong, no matter how people interpret it, the inherent meaning in the word carries with it a definite sexist feel.

But in the end, I'm all for a political and legal equality in so far it is doable and sensible.
The only major change I can think of that I'd request over here is to enable forced conscription for girls as well, or just ditch the whole thing.

Potentially the only thing worth quoting and pumping in this thread. Its my first 'meeting' an egalitariani.
Nov 14, 2011 10:59 AM

Jul 2010
no, i mean i support the equality of sexes but in no way do i work the time in to being active in the area.

Nov 14, 2011 11:15 AM

Aug 2007
holypoop said:
I'm a feminist, and I can't tell you how many people have asked me 'why I hate men'.. That's not what being a feminist is at all. And it saddens me that there are so many uneducated people in the world that thinks that, both men and women.
Though, we're on an anime site with what seems to be mostly teenaged boys active in the forums, so of course there aren't many feminists here. I mean, have you seen the shit that's in most anime today? Ugh, I wish I could find that video I once saw about sexism in media..

A video like that would only be valid if it showed sexism to both sexes.
Nov 14, 2011 11:19 AM

Jan 2011
Jigero said:

+1000

Now if we are talking equality on ALL levels then we all good.

Can't stand someone who wants the benefits, but don't want the consequences....

Like I've seriously heard someone say "Woman should get just as much as men, and then the SAME person say seconds later, "Men shouldn't hit women cause they're a man"

DA HELL?!
Nov 14, 2011 11:43 AM

Jan 2011
Because of feminism less men want to marry and have a family, can't blame them only idiots make a losing deal.
Nov 14, 2011 11:49 AM

Aug 2008
I think women should have equal rights and opportunities, but I don't really like the ring behind feminism. I don't want to get down to semantics on the definition of feminism, but I'm with the people here who think feminists want women have the same rights but not the same consequences as men do. I live here in the United States, and on my 18th birthday, I received a notice from selective service telling me to carry the card in my wallet at all times so that the military can draft me whenever needed. I've never heard of women complaining that they're not being drafted by selective service. Never. Not saying that there are no women who support being drafted, but until mainstream feminism here supports the drafting of women into military as much as any other feminist issues, then I'm afraid I am unable to take them seriously.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Nov 14, 2011 12:28 PM

Nov 2009
I don't actually care at all and can say that i'm not a feminist.
I'm for the encouragement of children to study and pursue whatever job they want, no matter what the sex is. If a child has a talent, help him/her develop it and support it, so one day she/he can use his/her talent for the better of society.
I am for a person to freely chose whatever he/she wants to do in her/his life. I don't care about anything else.
If a woman wants to be a housewife, i'm okay with it, that's her choice.
If a woman wants to be a politician, once again i'm okay with it - that's her choice.
If a man wants to stay at home taking care of the family while his wife works, fine - that's his choice.
Nov 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Jul 2010
Monad said:
Jigero said:

Pretty much this.
The dictionary can say whatever it wants but feminist isn't about equality. How could it be. The world it self starts from the word "female". No matter what the feminist supporters want the dictionaries to write the truth is that feminist is about females having all the rights of men but still be treated with special women privileges when it is convenient.
If you support true equality and you are not like that then you ain't a feminist. Maybe the feminism did mean that when it started but words change meaning depending on the meaning society gives them. And most feminist in society right now are like Jigero said so the word feminism has new meaning and the dictionaries are simply out of date or try not to initiate conflict. There was a time when being gay meant you are a happy person. Now it just means you are a homosexual. Words change depending on their usage and the usage of the word "feminism" in today's society means anything but equal rights supporters.
So dear princessv, if you are an equal right supporter then just declare yourself that or find some new word. The word feminist just won't do and your post claiming that you call yourself feminist because of popularity it's just wrong, the word "feminist" certainly isn't a popular word about "equality" anymore and you are delusional if you think so. And no most feminists DON'T support men rights as you think ether, the only place they support men rights is when they try to wright what feminism is in a dictionary.

This. No I am not a feminist. To be honest the first line of Monad sums up how I see them.

holypoop said:

To be honest, I don't think you would say that if you weren't a girl. There are quite a lot of older more mature people on here, not just "teenaged boys". Even then sexism as a joke is completely fine in anime. I haven't honestly seen much anime that have real sexism in them.
gregory003Nov 14, 2011 12:54 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2011 2:56 PM

Oct 2011
I'm not a feminist and I will never be a feminist. I will never support feminism.

But that's all I'm going to share because I don't want to get in trouble with the mods again.
This love for Hirasawa Yui consumes me, washing over my dirty weeaboo body with a cleansing warmth that allows me to reach greater heights. It inspires me to be a better man; not the man they deserve, but the man she deserves. Yui, I love you. With everything I have. You are my one, my only. Mai waifu.
Nov 14, 2011 3:32 PM

Jan 2010
gregory003 said:
holypoop said:

To be honest, I don't think you would say that if you weren't a girl. There are quite a lot of older more mature people on here, not just "teenaged boys". Even then sexism as a joke is completely fine in anime. I haven't honestly seen much anime that have real sexism in them.

Yeah, well, similarly I could say that I think you would be a feminist if you were born a girl. If I wasn't a girl I would most likely have a completely different experience in life and with other people, so sure, I probably wouldn't be a feminist. But I am a girl, so what's the point in dwelling on what I would be if I wasn't?

Sexism as a joke is still sexism and can still be hurtful toward others. I find it okay in different media outlets (anime, tv, video games, movies, whatever) if a character is sexist and makes sexist jokes. Sexism happens all the time in real life, so why shouldn't it happen in fiction? What I don't find okay is when that character doesn't get called out on it, or when the entire, let's say, anime is sexist in general.
Nov 14, 2011 3:51 PM

Aug 2011
Hmmm...at first, I wasn't sure if I was a feminist or not being a female and all. hahah
And I was wrong of what I thought feminism was.
So, having understood what feminism is, I'm not one.

I believe there is equality although there are really things that are meant for guys only and for the ladies only. Just like the restrooms. :P
Fast-Debrid
download in 50 file hosting services like
Megaupload, Fileserve, MegaVideo, Hotfile, Rapidshare...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (40) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
36 minutes ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
2 hours ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.