Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2011 2:53 AM

Jun 2011
So, as the title says. First, I'll start by saying I'm a guy, and I'm straight. I've found a bunch of good looking anime to watch, but they're all Shounen-Ai. I was wondering if other people on here think that some of them are good (not meant in a bad way, just that I've never watched something that's Shounen-Ai)? Imo, I think Kyou kara Maou! looks really good, as with some other ones, but I'm not sure how "Shounen-Ai" it gets. Anyway, if someone could help me out with an opinion or two, I would appreciate it.

Also, I'm a fan of watching something with powers, or just "super" strength or something, so if you think I would like Kyou kara Maou!, and you know of some other ones that aren't too crazy, I would also appreciate that. Thanks!
Sep 6, 2011 3:41 AM

Mar 2011
What shounen-ai anime were you thinking of? Because the level of shounen-ai-ness differs between the several anime that are out there with that genre.

Shounen-ai is boys love, so there is romance between 2 guys. However, it varies from non-explicit to like, a little explicit :P And then there's yaoi, what's veryyy explicit.. :P

So it all depends on how much guy x guy you can handle.. :)

Personally, I really like shounen-ai, but, I'm a girl... So you probably need to get some feedback from a guy too.

Can you give me the titles of the ones you thought you might like?
Sep 6, 2011 3:43 AM

Mar 2009
It's funny and there are just hints of shounen-ai but they're all done humorously.
Sep 6, 2011 3:48 AM

Mar 2011
Ahh, I read the title wrong, I thought you were looking for an anime like Kyo Kara Maoh.. I'm sorry ;P

It's as ALexSadist-sama said, sure you cam watch Kyou Kara Maoh without being bothered by the shounen-ai at all, for there almos't isn't any (which is too bad in my opinion, but that's something else^^). I know enough straight guys who enjoyed it anyway to tell you that it's safe to watch. :)

But still my question holds: what other shounen-ai's where you interested in?^^
Sep 6, 2011 5:18 AM

Jun 2011
Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru was one of the others. I know there were a few more, but I can't remember :/. Also, thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely check it out.
Sep 6, 2011 5:26 AM

Mar 2011
Ahh, I think Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru is very doable too, it's very light shounen-ai. Besides, it's a good anime with a decent story. I loved it. Try it :)
Sep 6, 2011 1:03 PM

Mar 2009
The following are cited as being Shounen-Ai but they are pretty safe for anyone with the the least bit of open-mindedness. Most have little or no physical contact and all offer good stories.

Fake - Loads of fun. Two gay detectives on vacation. One is always trying to make a play for the oblivious one and circumstances and mysteries always get in the way.

Kyou kara Maou! - Loads of fun!!! See it, enjoy it, don't worry. Main character seems to be pretty straight but lots of folk have the hots for him.

Kuroshitsuji - Not listed as such but has some S-a overtones and implications though not between the two main characters.

No.6 - To my mind, one of the best things this season. Minor physical contact.

Switch - Relationships are only implied.

Togainu no Chi - Intense emotions but no "huggin 'n' kissin." Dark, dramatic, bloody violence

Tokyo Babylon - Relationship is more implied than anything . . . .as I recall.

Tokyo Godfathers - Not really Shounen-Ai but one of the characters is gay and has feelings for one of the other characters.

Yami no Matsuei - Starts off light and silly but gets very dark and dramatic. Bad guy is always hitting on the good guy.

These Titles are similar in that they deal with former heterosexual lovers reincarnated in male bodies.
- Mirage of Blaze
- Mirage of Blaze: Rebels of the River Edge
- Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteiru
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Sep 6, 2011 1:22 PM

Mar 2009
MissYuuki said:
Ahh, I read the title wrong, I thought you were looking for an anime like Kyo Kara Maoh.. I'm sorry ;P

It's as ALexSadist-sama said, sure you cam watch Kyou Kara Maoh without being bothered by the shounen-ai at all, for there almos't isn't any (which is too bad in my opinion, but that's something else^^). I know enough straight guys who enjoyed it anyway to tell you that it's safe to watch. :)

But still my question holds: what other shounen-ai's where you interested in?^^

Aw, hell. I read it the same way.

Main character is straight. He gets transported to a world that isn't all that concerned with who's gay and who's straight. He inadvertently gets "engaged" to a guy which sets up all kinds of funny stuff. He has a very "straight" mentor relationship with someone who was in love with his soul in another life. There is an obviously gay guy with an "idol" like crush on him. There are lots of hetero relationships going on all around him and, at least once, he is attracted to a female. It's a great show. Go enjoy it.;
-animeS - The plural of anime is anime. More than one deer is still deer. There is no damn "s".
-epic |ˈepik| noun•a work portraying heroic deeds/adventures covering an long period of time - adjective • heroic/grand in scale or character
Active Military, Prior Service, and Veteran's Anime Club
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=25937&time=1299710079
Sep 11, 2011 9:40 AM

Jun 2011
Thanks a lot for the opinions. Started watching it, and to be honest... it's pretty amazing. Thanks again, I really like Kyou Kara Maoh!
Sep 11, 2011 9:52 AM

Aug 2011
When I started watching it, I didn't even know it was shounen-ai, and I thought the idea was pretty good. But then came the gay jokes. And then some gay jokes...... And then some more gay jokes... and it really got old after like a dozen episodes. So basically what I'm trying to say is, the fact that its shounen-ai doesn't make it bad, the fact that the show lacks original humor does ><.
Sep 11, 2011 1:43 PM
Jul 2011
Kyo Kara Maoh is very safe. Has butt loads of gay humor and implied homosexual crushes, but none are ever "carried out" and it's all very light. No action, not even kissing (well...that's debatable, but still). In a way, if it weren't for the buttload of gay humor, the fact that everyone has a boner for Yuuri, and that there are little to no females in the series, it wouldn't be considered a shonen-ai. Because it's not, it's more of a shoujo comedy filled with beautiful men, lolz, and fanservice.

More topics from this board

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
2 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

10 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.