Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2011 2:37 AM
Jul 2010
I bought a few books in the past from this shop, because the shipping is FREE.
This is awesome because other online shops taking more than 20$ from me to ship to my country.
But its really weird, why this shop will make free shipping, while other want me to pay 20$+?
How they benefit from shipping FREE? dont they lose money?

Im afraid the manga might not be original or something.

What d you think?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 7, 2011 2:58 AM
Jan 2011
They use relatively inexpensive (but slow) shipping options by default, and they don't seem to offer discounts as deep as Amazon's, to give an example, so I don't see why they can't make a profit. If you're still in doubt, check out consumer review sites.

Feb 7, 2011 3:30 AM

Dec 2007
I've bought tons of manga from book depository, they're a completely legit store.
Their free shipping is just their hook for attracting buyers.
(Along with their prices. Sometimes they can have pretty good discounts... although many of the manga I check now are only a penny cheaper than amazon, which seems a little pedantic)

Their postage can be annoying, but their customer service is good and they always answer fairly swiftly.
It's also worth noting that any preorders are paid up front, and they have no pre-order price guarantee - if the price drops before release, tough.

The downside from my experience is that their estimated dispatches (the "usually dispatched within x hours") on the product pages are pure fiction.
Sometimes they will have a 48 hour date for a recently released book even if they haven't received it yet to send out. They are also frequently in no hurry to send books out - If they seem to be stuck on "processing" for a while, they tend to kick themselves into gear after you send them a message.
I have purchased hundreds of books from them and I have never had a book dispatched within the products "usual" dispatch time :p

The other thing to be aware of is that it is increasingly common for foreign language books to turn up on book searches.
I think they've finally gotten around to adding the language to the individual book pages (I know you can at least specify english in the advanced search now) but it might be worth being careful anyway,
EphidelFeb 7, 2011 3:33 AM
Feb 7, 2011 3:40 AM
Jul 2010
Thats great, thanks.
I never really care about the shipping time [the shipping is free what more can you ask?] as long as the item is original and legit.

They sending each manga vol. seperetly, right?
Feb 7, 2011 8:56 AM

Sep 2010
PandaCubCup said:
Thats great, thanks.
I never really care about the shipping time [the shipping is free what more can you ask?] as long as the item is original and legit.

They sending each manga vol. seperetly, right?

That's true, each volume is sent separately, so you might not get them all at once even though you bought them on same day.

It never took more than 2-3 weeks to get stuff I ordered (for Europe), which isn't much at all compared to other stuff I ordered online. Not to mention their prices are almost half cheaper than buying manga in store here. Great store.
Feb 12, 2011 9:20 AM

Jan 2007
I like this site a lot, most of the time they have everything I look for and I do buy a lot of books, just a few days ago I ordered 5 books from them.

Compared to the other people who posted here, I am happy with the shipping time, I never waited 3 weeks for the books to get here, only during christmas the books got here quite late, one book did not even get here but they were very nice and sent it to me again, for free of course. Another six books arrived here two weeks ago, it took about a week to get here, all six were dispatched within the estimated time. And yeah, sometimes it takes a bit more then the estimated time for a book to be shipped but so far it never took them more than 3 days.

Ephidel said:

It's also worth noting that any preorders are paid up front, and they have no pre-order price guarantee - if the price drops before release, tough.

From what I noticed that never happens. the offer they have for preorders is great, it's 25% off (they even used to have 50% off) and after the book gets released it most definitely does not get any cheaper than that so they actually make it worth preordering a certain book and not waiting till the book gets released.
Feb 16, 2011 2:11 AM
Jul 2010
Ok... so i want to buy soul eater volume 1, the english publisher is yen press, but in the bookdepository, the publisher is "Little, Brown & Company".
The publisher in the bookdepisotoiry is always different.

Any reason why?
Feb 16, 2011 3:48 AM

Nov 2008
PandaCubCup said:
Ok... so i want to buy soul eater volume 1, the english publisher is yen press, but in the bookdepository, the publisher is "Little, Brown & Company".
The publisher in the bookdepisotoiry is always different.

Any reason why?

No worries, it's all legit. Yen Press is just a daughter company or as wikipedia says it 'imprint' from the Hachette Book Group, and I believe that Little Brown does the distribution for the UK. (They also publish the Haruhi novels.)
Feb 16, 2011 4:22 AM
Jul 2010
Thank you, im gonna buy from them from now on.

I just got some manga from Borders and im not so happy with how it came.
However thebookdepository always send an awesome condition paper books when i ordered in the past.
Feb 16, 2011 6:30 AM

Nov 2008
Alright then, you should ;) They just started their new 'bookmark campaign', (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/usefulbookmarks/) so they'll throw in one free with every order. (Before they had customers design them, pretty neat!) Let the collecting begin!

Now that all your questions have been answered, I'm closing this topic, ok? ;)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» The Worst manga you've ever read

Kumoiro_Shizuki - Yesterday

42 by mentalmondai »»
1 minute ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

28 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
3 hours ago

» Please help - mermaid manga/webcomic

KateFenixManga - 4 hours ago

0 by KateFenixManga »»
4 hours ago

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

163 by Kazzeon »»
8 hours ago

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - Yesterday

3 by BitChilly »»
Yesterday, 5:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.