Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2010 3:53 AM

Feb 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to implement a form of automatic reminders when certain anime change their status. For instance I'd like to receive a PM or such when a specific anime starts airing or when it is finished airing or when a fansub group has started subbing. Much like "following" a topic in the forums. This saves people that have a large "to watch" list a lot of time checking if status has changed from "Not yet aired" to "Airing" or "Finished Airing".
Dec 10, 2010 10:11 PM

May 2008
Something like this might be handy, though pms would probably be more taxing on the server than you think. If a popular show is premiering there may be many thousands of pms that would need to be queued. Club messaging has been disabled for exactly that reason, so it's likely infeasible.

You can make the airing dates visible as a column on your list, which can be sorted... not really a substitute but helps. I would like for there to be some kind of "Upcoming Anime" module to be added to the panel instead, that would work like birthdays except with anime from your list. It would only be useful around season changes sure, but I know that I would really appreciate reminders of things like OVAs and specials that I sometimes overlook.
sakaDec 12, 2010 5:55 PM

I am a banana.
Dec 12, 2010 5:37 PM

Feb 2008
I guess a PM would be too much for the site. Something along the lines of showing an update on your panel for changes on the anime you want to see would be nice. For instance I've been waiting for Mardock Scramble to be subbed so I keep checking the site and then specific the anime. I know gg will probably sub it, but I like to use MAL as a portal for such things. There's more anime on my to-do list so I keep forgetting which ones to check when they're done or in a state where I want to start watching them. It's too much of a hassle to check individual sites when MAL is consistent enough with the content.
Dec 13, 2010 7:47 AM

Dec 2007
Unless moderated carefully, I don't support this idea. Spammers can abuse the feature by changing the anime name to the service they advertise for, and MAL does the rest by sending all it's fans the emails.
Dec 13, 2010 4:12 PM

May 2008
I don't see threat of spamming at all here, as anime edits are already moderated and in OP's original idea the user would have to opt into notifications anyway (which they wouldn't do for a spammy entry even if such a thing existed). Some database load is probably the only obstacle, but that is true for most feature requests.

Is it a needed feature? ...no.
Would it be useful? ...many would ignore it, some users would love it

I think it's a good idea that can be implemented without being intrusive... but certainly not a priority.

I am a banana.
Dec 15, 2010 1:10 PM

Jul 2008
I like this idea and support it, but in a slightly different format than the one stated in the opening post: like saka suggested, I'd prefer something like a module in my panel to check the status changes of my anime/manga. Also, I wouldn't want to see anything related to fansub groups (which I think is also impossible with the current state of things), but just a notification when an anime has started airing or a manga has started publishing. I think there would be no need for any other notification - I believe it's not especially useful to be reminded that a particular series has finished airing/publishing.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Dec 16, 2010 4:24 PM

Feb 2008
Loxaris said:
Also, I wouldn't want to see anything related to fansub groups
A notification that a group has picked it up would be nice since it's pointless for me to watch an anime that will never air here and has no English subs.

Loxaris said:
- I believe it's not especially useful to be reminded that a particular series has finished airing/publishing.
It would be for me as I usually start watching when a series is finished so I can plan out when I want to see it instead of waiting for an episode per week.

If it was implemented I'm sure it could be set up in such a way that you can select what you want to see in your panel.
Jan 5, 2011 5:20 PM

Sep 2007
My personal bump.
What interested me would be indeed when a series Starts airing. If you have it on your "plan to watch" list it would be cool if you could see a little notification on your home page.
Jan 6, 2011 6:22 AM

Oct 2008
Maybe to further addon, what I would like to see myself - is an alert or something that a series or such, was updated with an OVA or a new series etc...

Basically anything that is in the completed area of your list and one of the series had a new OVA linked upto it - you would be alerted in some shape or form.
Jan 6, 2011 9:38 AM

Jul 2008
AeonsLegend said:
Loxaris said:
Also, I wouldn't want to see anything related to fansub groups
A notification that a group has picked it up would be nice since it's pointless for me to watch an anime that will never air here and has no English subs.
I understand your point of view as I as well watch subtitled anime, but I see it as being far too difficult and questionable to be implemented. That's why I wouldn't want it.

AeonsLegend said:
Loxaris said:
- I believe it's not especially useful to be reminded that a particular series has finished airing/publishing.
It would be for me as I usually start watching when a series is finished so I can plan out when I want to see it instead of waiting for an episode per week.
Indeed I've never considered this point of view as I watch anime while they're airing and don't care to wait until they end (or just freely pick them up much after they ended).

AeonsLegend said:
If it was implemented I'm sure it could be set up in such a way that you can select what you want to see in your panel.
Of course that'd be nice, to say the least.

iamnoone said:
Maybe to further addon, what I would like to see myself - is an alert or something that a series or such, was updated with an OVA or a new series etc...

Basically anything that is in the completed area of your list and one of the series had a new OVA linked upto it - you would be alerted in some shape or form.
Very much agree with this. I usually miss Specials and OVAs until for whatever reason I hear about them/randomly check the anime page. So to be provided with this kind of info would be very handy.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Jan 6, 2011 8:57 PM

Aug 2010
If it wasn't too taxing on the server, I'd love a feature like this implemented into the panel.

However to the people asking for about this, have you tried using animecalendar? It doesn't cover OVAs unfortunately and it's another site to manage, but you can set it up to cover the series you're interested. Plus it has functions with iCal, which might possibly make it syncable to, well, iCal (though it might work for iphone/ipods?). Once you've set it up, you don't need to touch until you want to add another series.
Jan 7, 2011 6:13 AM

Jul 2008
Nope, didn't even know about it so thanks for the heads up. =D
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Jan 13, 2011 2:31 AM

Jun 2010
That would be an amazing feature indeed but probably impossible.
Feb 17, 2011 1:07 PM
May 2010
I like this a lot. But, I hope this could be expanding to sequels as well. A lot of anime have open endings and some get sequels years later, but sometimes I miss those announcements so I never know. I like the idea of a module on the landing page, or maybe a lightbox popup or something.

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 2 hours ago

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
2 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
2 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.