Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 16, 2010 11:11 AM
Aug 2008
so uh, just some notes. i don't know if it matter to you, if you are comfortable about this club, what we do, and how we fit into what you do. but do share.

I think not enough people are voting. in some sense we have a hard time filling 10 entries from 10 different people each week, at least lately. we don't even have the same 6 people voting on a timely basis.

do you think we should change the way we do voting?

i think we've already let loose a bunch of stuff in the nomination thread.

does NZ still need help with his web thing?

lelangir suggested a massive torrent. I can set that up... just missing a few weeks' worth of entries before week 10...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 16, 2010 3:19 PM

Sep 2007
On the point about voting, does the lack of individual mp3s matter (like how it was at the start with the compilation before how it is now?)

Is it a lack of interest in the topic or song choices? In the club itself?

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
Sep 16, 2010 8:43 PM

Sep 2008
Back in the old days, I used to spam people with voting reminders. Maybe that's something we should start up once more?
Anime Instrumentality - Anime music news and soundtrack reviews
Sep 17, 2010 7:13 AM
Aug 2008
probably a good idea.
Sep 17, 2010 5:29 PM

Oct 2007
omo said:
does NZ still need help with his web thing?

I'll need some data entry monkeys at some point.
Sep 19, 2010 3:25 AM

Dec 2007
Club messages seem to be screwed up in MAL after one of the past updates. Anyways, currently going through a busy spell, so my activity level will go down a bit.

Would it be acceptable (by our standards) to spam profiles of people who seem to keep an ear out for anime music, I wonder?
Sep 19, 2010 7:02 AM

Jul 2008
omo said:
in some sense we have a hard time filling 10 entries from 10 different people each week, at least lately.

I'm guilty of this. It's not that I'm having a hard time understanding the topic/theme. It's just that it's hard to think and look for the fitting piece for the theme/topic. That's why I'm glad when zzero puts up the list of theme in advance. It does help.

I always find time to listen to the nominations though. But I often forget to post my votes here due to work or RL distractions. ^^;;

| Icon by parijienne @ LJ. | My Member Cards |

My Candies :
Sep 19, 2010 9:04 PM

Sep 2008
Ottocycle said:
Would it be acceptable (by our standards) to spam profiles of people who seem to keep an ear out for anime music, I wonder?
You know such people? Because that'd totally be cool in my book as long as long as we don't annoy them with those messages.
Sep 20, 2010 3:07 AM
Aug 2007
Please don't spam weekly messages..
Sep 20, 2010 7:43 AM
Nov 2007
gaguri said:
Please don't spam weekly messages..

although I would actually appreciate, say, weekly spam to gmail, since i rarely check MAL
Sep 22, 2010 6:59 AM
Aug 2008
i don't mind some low level advertising but not a big fan of unsolicited messages.

i think when i get MAL messages i get an email notice, so it works the same.
Oct 7, 2010 6:45 AM
Mar 2010
Just a question, will the front page be updated once in a while? Because it somehow stopped after week 44
Oct 7, 2010 8:19 AM

Jul 2008
M-i-s-a-k-i said:
Just a question, will the front page be updated once in a while? Because it somehow stopped after week 44

It depends really. I think they're busy. And there are some weeks that have less votes.

| Icon by parijienne @ LJ. | My Member Cards |

My Candies :
Oct 23, 2010 10:31 PM

Mar 2008
I remember back in the old days when MALUpdater used to alert you whenever you got new PMs. It doesn't do that anymore, but I'd still strongly suggest that zzero send out voting reminder PMs every week. Also, I'd recommend they come out mid-week. Early in the week, people would put them to one side, thinking they'd still have ages before voting expires, and then forget to do it. Later in the week, people would think that the deadline is so close that they don't have the time to listen to the music and vote and/or, they don't see the PM reminder until it's too late.

MP3s would be a good idea, but I could see it being a big huge pain to upload individual MP3s. I'd strongly recommend links to streams being posted next to songs in the voting threads. I mean, most nominations come with links to streams, so it's not like a lot of them aren't available. Perhaps the problem is that this adds too much to zzero's workload. He does so much of the heavy lifting for this club as it is. Maybe that's one of the things that's needed more than anything else: someone to help zzero do some of the heavy lifting.
Oct 25, 2010 12:49 AM

Oct 2007
Sorrow-kun said:
MP3s would be a good idea, but I could see it being a big huge pain to upload individual MP3s. I'd strongly recommend links to streams being posted next to songs in the voting threads. I mean, most nominations come with links to streams, so it's not like a lot of them aren't available. Perhaps the problem is that this adds too much to zzero's workload. He does so much of the heavy lifting for this club as it is. Maybe that's one of the things that's needed more than anything else: someone to help zzero do some of the heavy lifting.

While I agree in principle, the quality of most streams isn't very good (sites like Youtube tend to compress audio quite heavily, which can often cut a lot out because of how lossy compression works) and there are times when it's really hard to find streams for certain stuff, especially if it's a more obscure nomination.
Oct 26, 2010 8:35 PM

Dec 2007
@Sorrow-Kun
The mass club PM system for MAL has been broken for quite a while, with no timeframe for the problem's resolution.

@everyone else
Since youtube streams might be a problem due to availability, quality etc, how about Wordpress streams? Of course, that requires individual uploading which means extra effort on the admins' part, and actual webspace (google sites' webspace is fine too ). Maybe stuff can be taken down after a month or something as well.

More radically, maybe we'd want to shift the entire voting platform to wordpress, with votes in the comments? This would also make voting easier, though dedication would be required from the admins. Yeah no way is zzero gonna be able to do this alone. I volunteer for the brainless work, which should be plentiful.

Also, maybe a hiatus is in order, then a fresh start? Maybe we're just going through some fatigue, which I presume is normal.
Oct 27, 2010 3:51 AM

Oct 2007
If I ever get around to working on my web thing again - been very busy with actual work as we have a monthly development cycle so regular crunch periods and I've had some long-term stuff I've been working on, and also accidentally overwrote some of it at one point and lost some work which set me back as well - then it could be modified to handle actual voting & linkage as well. But I don't think that the current forum system works that badly.
NegativeZeroOct 27, 2010 4:06 AM
Oct 27, 2010 10:56 PM

Sep 2008
Ottocycle said:
@everyone else
Since youtube streams might be a problem due to availability, quality etc, how about Wordpress streams? Of course, that requires individual uploading which means extra effort on the admins' part, and actual webspace (google sites' webspace is fine too ). Maybe stuff can be taken down after a month or something as well.

More radically, maybe we'd want to shift the entire voting platform to wordpress, with votes in the comments? This would also make voting easier, though dedication would be required from the admins. Yeah no way is zzero gonna be able to do this alone. I volunteer for the brainless work, which should be plentiful.

Also, maybe a hiatus is in order, then a fresh start? Maybe we're just going through some fatigue, which I presume is normal.
Fatigue is right. Especially since it's hitting me pretty hard.

I'm not against taking a break since real life is currently imposing its will upon me obnoxiously. Now, if people do want to continue, I can still play custodian in the searching for tracks and uploading a compilation like I said in some other thread, but that's about the scope of what I'm currently capable of doing.

That said, I'm not too tired to think. So here's something I figure I'll throw out: should we, at some point, run a best song contest and set it up on a more open platform like Wordpress or whatever someone can code up? I don't think there's a better idea for rekindling interest as a return from a hiatus and since I've moved my blog over to another webhost, I have tons of webspace to play around with if people need a site to host all the files. What do people think?
Dec 22, 2010 6:46 AM
Aug 2008
wow we be so ded.
Dec 25, 2010 6:01 AM

Dec 2007
omo said:
wow we be so ded.
As dead as Kenshiro would declare us be indeed.
Jan 2, 2011 11:14 AM

Sep 2007
Yeah, I keep looking at this, every once in a while, and actually have been trying to see if there's something that I could put up for "panic". :P

Drastic My Anime Blog - My anime blog. :3
Jan 6, 2011 11:36 PM

Dec 2007
TheBigN said:
Yeah, I keep looking at this, every once in a while, and actually have been trying to see if there's something that I could put up for "panic". :P
typetheEND? :3
Jan 11, 2011 3:51 AM

Oct 2007
Maybe it's time for a reboot of this whole thing, starting over from scratch? Wonder if maybe there's a more appropriate venue. Someone (omo?) mentioned potentially doing it via Wordpress, and I could see that working if someone's willing to coordinate things...
Jan 19, 2011 10:40 PM

Sep 2008
Short on manpower we are >__> and life hasn't gotten less busy for me.

If I were to reboot it, here's what I'd do:

Best Song Contest.

128 songs - BGM division

128 songs - OP/ED/Insert division

Someone just has to figure out how to make it work.
zzeroparticleJan 19, 2011 10:45 PM
Jan 28, 2011 7:31 AM
Aug 2008
since i'm really looking forward to moshidora it puts me in a managerial mood.

the one function that is time-consuming and unavoidable is zzero-schachou's capacity as someone who tracks down tracks when people nominate them.

the other time consuming thing is organizing all the data.

then there's the club side of thing.

i think a wordpress blog format would be great, we can do a tourament style thing, or even just a straight vote off after a nomination period

but i think it should go hand-in-hand with some kind of metadata depository, like a wiki or something. well that's another big ball of annoyancei don't think we're ready to tackle.
Mar 3, 2011 6:46 PM

Aug 2008
NegativeZero said:
Maybe it's time for a reboot of this whole thing, starting over from scratch? Wonder if maybe there's a more appropriate venue. Someone (omo?) mentioned potentially doing it via Wordpress, and I could see that working if someone's willing to coordinate things...

If a reboot is done then I think doing one theme a month would go a long way towards avoiding both voting and nomination fatigue. You could also do a special at the end of each season to nominate best OP/ED/Insert and BGM of the currently airing season to spice it up a bit.

/Necromancy
Aug 11, 2011 11:18 AM
Aug 2008
I think it's going to take a lot more than that.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Defining Music Pieces of 2011? Or Personal Favorites?

ottocycle - Dec 16, 2011

13 by TheBigN »»
Jul 27, 2013 12:46 PM

» Week 64: Nominations Thread - Loneliness

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

18 by Kinushima »»
Nov 13, 2012 8:23 AM

» Week 63: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Sep 29, 2010

2 by mrmuk »»
Jun 10, 2011 10:31 AM

» Week 59: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Aug 16, 2010

10 by Pocari »»
Mar 18, 2011 10:30 PM

» Week 64: Voting Thread

zzeroparticle - Oct 7, 2010

2 by ottocycle »»
Oct 26, 2010 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.