Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2010 3:12 PM
Aug 2010
I was looking on Kuroshitsuji wiki, and I read some things in Ciel's description that made me think. He is described as a cold, elitist, arrogant boy who doesn't care about anyone and "lives his life as if it were a game of chess".
I always thought of Ciel as someone who actually has very strong feelings, but hides them because reasoning straight without being blinded by feelings is, in his opinion, the only way to get things done properly. He needs to suppress his pain for his parents' loss to concentrate on getting his revenge, he needs to suppress his feelings towards Sebastian because he knows Sebastian only wants to devour him and doesn't actually care for him as a person, and he needs to be cold towards people in order to appear stronger and less vulnerable.
The Ciel I know and fell in love with acts his usual way because he was bittered by the death of his parents and needs to wear a mask of coldness to protect himself against the world, but now I'm starting to realize that it may not be a mask: he could really be simply an emotionless bastard, and that really makes him look like a flat, randomly evil, uninteresting character to me.
What do you think?

Aug 28, 2010 3:20 PM

Jun 2009
I don't think that Ciel is an emotionless bastard. Let's start there.

Ciel is more of an antihero

Last season Ciel was shown as having some kind of drive and was riddled with the emotions that came from the consequences of his actions. These emotions varied from pain, fear, loss, happiness and struggle. Being cold an arrogant are not emotions they are just character types. Keeping in the since of the time period that this anime is set in Ciel would need to mask his emotions to be accepted by and Earl in society.

If you are starting to realize this because of the second season, let me remind you that this is not the true Ciel. If you are looking for him he existed in the manga. This season all of the characters that we saw develop once have become one dimensional so that the spotlight can be put on Claude and Alois. For better or for worse.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Aug 28, 2010 3:27 PM

Feb 2010
Well, I always believed that Ciel wore a mask of coldness to protect himself against the world, as well..and signs such as him becoming more friendlier..blushing..clue in that..but there are times were I, too, believe that he probably is some emotionless freak..

We know that before Ciel's parents died in the fire..Ciel was obviously different..he had loving parents beside him..and friends (Elizabeth)..he was enjoying life and you can see in his eyes that they were overfilled with happiness and joy..innocence and purity (since he was but a child) later on he became emotionless...I mean a dynamic thing happened and when you looked in his eyes they were blank..and empty..he lost everything he once loved..in his eyes were darkness. pitch black darkness (since his world had shut down)

Later on, after he made the contract with Sebastian, I see him change again. Ciel's eyes were a different darkness..they were...cold..dark...and filled with hate..I did see him become sort of sassy and..err..over confident at times..like someone kidnaps him and he's all, " I don't think you're going to get carried away with that, hahaaa! - Sebastian pops in and kills everyone -"..you know what I mean? He looks like he's having fun with all
the authority..all the power (being the Phantomhive heir and everything)..

Ciel's a child..he has mixed emotions..and there are times were it really seems like he's hiding his true feelings, you can see right past his eyes and know that he's weak..he puts on a mask so you don't see his weakness...I believe that Ciel thinks that feelings are a weakness to him..since the strong love he had for his parents, disappeared. It's hard knowing that one day, someone you have feelings for could disappear in the snap of a finger.

So, does Ciel have feelings? At times you think he's just some cold emotionless bastard, but I truly believe that he does have feelings...but he tries so hard to hide them..actually maybe he's trying his best to get rid of his feelings..?
I can see that as the story progressed (in season 1), his eyes became more and more dark, filled with even more hate as he discovered who had killed his parents...I'm also confused as to if he has feelings or not...but I know that he had feelings and is trying so hard not to express his feelings, as it makes him feel more weak..
Ciel could be an emotionless bastard, in season 2 you see the full extent of his anger and rage...you see less of Ciel's feelings..therefore..I think that Ciel's at a point where he's dumping away his feelings..after all..nothing else matters for him, but revenge.

[There's a lot of "..." because I'm confusing myself as I type]
EarlCielAug 28, 2010 3:32 PM
Aug 28, 2010 3:29 PM
Aug 2010
Suzune-chan said:
I don't think that Ciel is an emotionless bastard. Let's start there.

Ciel is more of an antihero

Last season Ciel was shown as having some kind of drive and was riddled with the emotions that came from the consequences of his actions. These emotions varied from pain, fear, loss, happiness and struggle. Being cold an arrogant are not emotions they are just character types. Keeping in the since of the time period that this anime is set in Ciel would need to mask his emotions to be accepted by and Earl in society.

If you are starting to realize this because of the second season, let me remind you that this is not the true Ciel. If you are looking for him he existed in the manga. This season all of the characters that we saw develop once have become one dimensional so that the spotlight can be put on Claude and Alois. For better or for worse.

No it's not about the second season, it's a feeling I had because of Ciel's behaviour both in the manga and in the anime in general. What you just described is the Ciel I always liked so much, but it seems that he hides his feelings so well sometimes I'm brought to think whether there is really something else underneath his mask of aloofness or not.
Here: http://kuroshitsuji.wikia.com/wiki/Ciel_Phantomhive

I started having this kind of doubts by reading the character description and the quotes.
I mean it really does look like he's playing a game of chess instead of living a life sometimes.
Aug 28, 2010 3:36 PM
Aug 2010
Suzune-chan, EarlCiel, I agree with both of you, because what you both just described is the Ciel I love. A child who has to live among adults and has to put on a facade to appear stronger. I only fear that this is just our "fanfiction version" of Ciel, while Yana Toboso wanted him to be a cold bastard.
Maybe you're right, Suzune-chan, maybe it was season two that made me doubt him. He's simply acting so out of character that if someone asked me right now to describe who the real Ciel is, I wouldn't know what to say. I don't know who Ciel is anymore.
Aug 28, 2010 3:40 PM

Feb 2010
Well, if you think about it, his main objective until he dies is to find the person who killed his parents, he's going to act like he's playing a game of chess while living life...so I sort of understand why he would be like that..
Aug 28, 2010 3:47 PM
Aug 2010
What exactly happened to Ciel when he was enslaved for a month? Was he kind of sexually abused just like Alois or only had to work as a slave?
I know there are two different versions for the anime and the manga (in order to prevent people who haven't read the manga from stumbling upon spoilers, it's better to use the spoiler tag for that part), and if any of you knows them both I'd like to hear them because I didn't fully understand and I think that month of Ciel's life is crucial to understand him as a character.
Aug 28, 2010 3:56 PM

Feb 2010
Actually, I believe that the Ciel is season 2 is him..I mean, just because he lost his memories doesn't mean he isn't the same Ciel we "knew him to be".

Ciel (in season 2) is basically like a doll (or puppet...wtv you want to call him)...he doesn't know anything and he's being played around by Sebastian...and if you think about it..didn't Ciel seem so weak in season 2? He looked so reckless... like..we finally see him for the person he really is. After all..without Sebastian, Ciel IS just a normal kid even if he has his "mask on" he can't protect himself..

I believe that all the actions that Ciel did...still reflected who he really was..it's not like he lost his memories of the past. Stabbing Alois by himself...(etc.) he's still Ciel. That person on the screen (we see) IS Ciel..some say "NOO THAT'S NOT CIEL BECAUSE HE WOULD NEVER DO THAT" or wtv but honestly..I still believe Ciel would
do the same actions if he was ever in a situation like season 2 (which he wasn't).

Okay, I'm going to cool of my head because I'm really confused.

( I haven't watched the first season for AT LEAST 4 months, as you can see...things are very vague and I'm even forgetting about Ciel from season 2 cause I was focusing mainly on the Alois and Claude )
EarlCielAug 28, 2010 4:06 PM
Aug 28, 2010 4:17 PM
Aug 2010
EarlCiel said:

I believe that all the actions that Ciel did...still reflected who he really was..it's not like he lost his memories of the past. Stabbing Alois by himself...(etc.) he's still Ciel. That person on the screen (we see) IS Ciel..some say "NOO THAT'S NOT CIEL BECAUSE HE WOULD NEVER DO THAT" or wtv but honestly..I still believe Ciel would
do the same actions if he was ever in a situation like season 2 (which he wasn't).

The fact is that Ciel is season one and Ciel in season two look completely different to me.

Ciel in season one: though he suspected Angela, he waited to gain information and to be absolutely sure she was responsible for his parents' death before starting to hunt her down. He himself went to the convent with Sebastian to see with his own eyes what was going on, he didn't simply rely on Sebastian's word.

Ciel in season two: Sebastian tells him Alois has been investigating Ciel's family, and from that Ciel convinces himself Alois killed his parents. Plus, he believed everything Sebastian told him about Alois spreading rumors about the Phantomhive family. He's ready to kill people he's not even sure that have anything to do with his parents' death, while in season one he was more cautious.
Plus, there have been some moments in which people around him behaved awkwardly towards him (like prince Soma), and Ciel in season one (who always paid attention to details) would have immediately suspected that people were hiding him something. Ciel in season two is completely oblivious.

I mean... they are two completely different personalities!
Aug 28, 2010 5:58 PM

Jun 2008
well I don't know IF it has anything to do with it, but hum...if his soul transfer failed could it be that a bit of his personality left him...like not only is he missing memories but is missing character data*personality, interest...you stuff like that*?

(Idk if this made sense =___=;;)
I ship things I want! Why? Because it's fun!
I post retarded shit at times, sorry-- my dumbness might infect you!Please be cautious of me!
I don't come with a security label!

My anime list hasn't been updated for a really long time, so it's not accurate!

Aug 28, 2010 6:18 PM

Feb 2010
Doesn't seem like two different personalities at all to me, whatever Ciel did made sense to me..I mean, think about it..there's a boy that is about the same age as him,and clearly when his demon was fighting with Sebastian, the kid may have seen weak (the kid I'm talking about is Alois). In season one, Ciel had to face against Angela.
Now, correct me if I"m wrong because I don't remember much, Angela's an angel..right? And Ciel's a human boy...who would win if they had a fight together?
Not Ciel..I, too, was confused about how Ciel could just CHARGE at Alois without a ton of evidence...but Ciel probably believed that he would win against Alois.
Also, it wasn't only the packet of information that convinced Ciel, it was also how that one man pleaded by saying that the Trancy did order him to burn down the house.
Now, I don't know why the hell Ciel shot him..but, it seemed like the way Ciel would act..to me.

What I see is a boy who got his parents killed and strives to find the person who killed them for revenge. I don't know why Ciel held back a bit in season 1..but I believe that in season 2...that is how a real boy who lost his parents would act.
It seemed like Ciel to me..it probably seemed like Ciel to me because I didn't watch Ciel in season 1 for a long time..maybe if I re-watched it (but now I'm kinda lazy xDD)

But something does seem strange, I mean Ciel seems to trust Sebastian more in season 2...but (maybe) the smart, and "ciel we knew in season 1" was the way he was because of the things that happened that became missing (his memories).
I bet that doesn't make sense.

Even cooling my head doesn't help. I bet watching season 1 will help me..no. It won't. Pfft. My head's 75% invaded by Alois so yeah...
Aug 28, 2010 6:29 PM

May 2010
Ciel have feeling he's still an human ( that's what i think) he just hide it and pretend he dosen't have them
like everyone said C:

If he'll regain all his memories he'll be the same ciel as we used to know . Ciel became who he is because of what he did and experienced in his life .

the real question is .. do sebastian have feeling ....?o_e *cross her finger*
yeah fangirl can dream C,:
Aug 28, 2010 6:55 PM

May 2010
Is Ciel a cold bastard?

My answer;
Hell no!
And we've seen that a million times...

love is such a strange thing
but with you, it doesn't matter

Aug 28, 2010 6:58 PM

Feb 2010
The question was kind of "Does Ciel have feelings?"
Not if he's a cold bastard..people who don't have feelings aren't cold bastards...all the time.. o - o;; -> okay that just srsly sounded weird..

Anyways, would you care to explain the "..and we've seen that a million times.."
part? In what way have we seen it a million times? At what times?
When he's...smiling...blushing..crying..?
Aug 29, 2010 2:54 AM
Aug 2010
EarlCiel said:
The question was kind of "Does Ciel have feelings?"
Not if he's a cold bastard..people who don't have feelings aren't cold bastards...all the time.. o - o;; -> okay that just srsly sounded weird..

Anyways, would you care to explain the "..and we've seen that a million times.."
part? In what way have we seen it a million times? At what times?
When he's...smiling...blushing..crying..?

In the preview of the next episode Ciel is blushing. He needed to have Alois' soul added to his own in order to manage some semblance of human expression. *sniffs* Oh, Alois you see how everyone needs you...
Dec 8, 2021 5:48 PM
Dec 2017
He does but he bottles them up quite heavily.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veain - Sep 16, 2010

850 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 25, 12:14 PM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shadowsword - Sep 2, 2010

364 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 25, 12:57 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shadowsword - Aug 19, 2010

1505 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 24, 4:29 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LadyTalion - Aug 5, 2010

208 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Kuroshitsuji II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LadyTalion - Jul 22, 2010

200 by Uguu_Tsukimiya »»
Apr 23, 7:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.