Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 13, 2010 5:17 PM

Apr 2007
While watching Amagami SS and its take on harem anime (each girl is a winner!), I look back on many series and realize that I am rarely satisfied with the girl who "wins" at the end. Off the top of my head, I can think of only two harems where I approve of the winner (Clannad and Shuffle!).

What about everyone else? How often are you satisfied with the "winner"?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 13, 2010 7:17 PM

Oct 2008
The main problem that I've seen is that far too often the Tsundere lead is chosen. I'm not the biggest fan of Tsunderes, and they're by far the most chosen pair for the male lead (at least in the shows I've seen..). I'm much more satisfied (if it is resolved) for the other harem members to become romantically involved (at least if it makes sense..).

Aug 13, 2010 7:51 PM
Jan 2008
hmmm.. jimbo you didn't approve the pairing for toradora and true tears?
not very often. the tsundere lead wins most of the time because they have more scene time (for most anime). true tears, clannad, toradora, sora no manimani, zero no tsukaima... etc. not satisfied with the pairing. clannad I approve nagisa because of the after story. but she was not the one I was hoping for the pair.
Aug 13, 2010 10:11 PM

Sep 2008
i was not happy with the shuffle ending. i wanted someone else to win. on toradora, i liked the ending.another anime with ended with the girl i like was kanon 2006 the problem with harem anime is the lack of ending. you rarely get an actual ending.
Aug 14, 2010 12:03 AM

Dec 2007
Not often, too many of the winners fall in one of the following categories: innocent and naive, air-headed,or loli. There is also the problem that I would often rather there be no winning girl (i.e. harem).

xhx said:
hmmm.. jimbo you didn't approve the pairing for toradora and true tears?
not very often. the tsundere lead wins most of the time because they have more scene time (for most anime). true tears, clannad, toradora, sora no manimani, zero no tsukaima... etc. not satisfied with the pairing. clannad I approve nagisa because of the after story. but she was not the one I was hoping for the pair.

I disagree, it is just that the cases where tsundere girl wins are more noticeable, especially the Rie Kugimiya loli tsundere quadtriplets. Furthermore, in many cases where the tsundere girl won't win, their tsundere factors are play down and are not as noticeable or memorable.

Examples: Clannad, DearS, Fate/stay night (anime), Girls Bravo, Hanaukyou Maid-tai, Martian Successor Nadesico, Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de, Asu no Yoichi!, etc.
Aug 14, 2010 6:37 AM
Jan 2008
UnknownOrigin said:
Not often, too many of the winners fall in one of the following categories: innocent and naive, air-headed,or loli. There is also the problem that I would often rather there be no winning girl (i.e. harem).

xhx said:

Examples: Clannad, DearS, Fate/stay night (anime), Girls Bravo, Hanaukyou Maid-tai, Martian Successor Nadesico, Kimi ga Aruji de Shitsuji ga Ore de, Asu no Yoichi!, etc.

I don't really remember much about dears.. was there a tsundere in the anime?. did not watch hanaukyou maid tai and nadesico, kimi ga aruji unsure did he pick the oldest in the anime and same for asu no yoichi. Is my fault I should rephrase what I said the one with the most scene time in (anime) almost all the time is the winner.
Aug 14, 2010 2:24 PM

Mar 2010
Most of the times I agree with the male protagonist choice because creators write the plot so that these two characters can form a good couple. For example, see True Tears or Fate/Stay Night: no other ways.
In Zero no Tsukaima and Toradora! instead I was a bit disappointed. I mean, why the hell Saito chooses Louise? She's plain -and he loves boobies-, useless and not so interesting. Forgive me Louise fans but I think that.
In Toradora! I think they're good together, but subjectively I preferred Kawashima. Just this. But I'm not Takasu and the plot works lol.
Aug 15, 2010 12:35 AM

Dec 2007
Maidofag: I find it rather ironic that you mention those four examples out of all the other examples you could have chosen.

For some referencing, you should read up on the term 'Visual Novels', where both Fate/Stay Night and True Tears were originally written as. In both cases, there was no set pairing (technically, Sakura would be closer to canon) and the plot allows the protagonist to end with any of the harem girls. So yes, there are other ways to form a good couple. Especially Fate, where the difference between each story was literally a small decision, Shirou would have ended with Rin if he stopped Saber from hitting Archer a second earlier (hint: Archer's memory).

Besides, Saber is the only one that doesn't get a good ending.
Aug 15, 2010 2:21 AM

Mar 2010
UnknownOrigin said:
Maidofag: I find it rather ironic that you mention those four examples out of all the other examples you could have chosen.

For some referencing, you should read up on the term 'Visual Novels', where both Fate/Stay Night and True Tears were originally written as. In both cases, there was no set pairing (technically, Sakura would be closer to canon) and the plot allows the protagonist to end with any of the harem girls. So yes, there are other ways to form a good couple. Especially Fate, where the difference between each story was literally a small decision, Shirou would have ended with Rin if he stopped Saber from hitting Archer a second earlier (hint: Archer's memory).

Besides, Saber is the only one that doesn't get a good ending.

You're right, I totally forget the Visual Novels and I did an error of ignorance. Anyway, take for example Fate.
Don't want to describe each character personality to explain my choice because I'm really the worst at it but, considering how is structured the anime plot -the only thing I know about Fate/Stay Night- and forgetting the VN for a moment, I think that Saber is the only one that fit the winning podium well.

Sorry that I use these examples making the discussion messy, but they're the four of all my list I think can work well. Talking just about their TV series.
Aug 16, 2010 5:31 AM

Mar 2010
There was no need to repeat your post, I understood it yesterday yet.
Forget the VNs at least for a second and think just about the anime series, because it's what I'm talking about. Or are you saying that for how is structured Fate's anime Saber and Rin have the same possibilities to be the winning girl? Lol, rewatch it. I have no dubt that in the VN you can change the final heroine with your decisions but in an anime you CAN'T. She's choosen from the beginning and unchangeable -like the plot, unchangeable too, you can't stop Saber from hitting Archer or something because it's all written yet. Differently from a Visual Novel of course.
Anyway I return to the kitchen, few hours and I'll go to England with no internet for two weeks so I can't reply anymore.
OujidereAug 16, 2010 7:41 AM
Aug 16, 2010 7:52 PM

Dec 2007
There has been some problem with MAL, the repeat was not intended as MAL didn't even update at all for me for the last 2 days. I tried to delete the repeat, although I can't see MAL updating for that either. It is often best to assume a repeated post to be unintentional.

Anyways, back to your point, yes, I do think Rin or someone else can still be the winning girl simply because Saber isn't there anymore. In that sense, Saber did not win, and they did not come together at the end. Thanks to the relatively open ending on Shirou's part, nothing is really set in stone, especially with 1 year left in his high school life with Rin and Sakura (with Shinji dead, she is quite free).

If by winning girl you mean who the guy likes the most at the end of the series, than yes, Saber wins. However, if the winning girl is who the guy ends up with, than Saber loses outright with Rin and Sakura having a fair chance of winning. There are other arguable examples where the 'winning girl' is not necessary the one the guy likes the most, wants to be with the most or even the most screen time and hints (Shimokita Glory Days and ichigo 100%, where the girl was chosen from misunderstandings). There are also more examples where the guy ends with a different girl because the main one died/disappear (ok, I admit, seems to occur more in games...).

On another off note, this being a anime and manga community, I would also like to point out that the manga version has Rin winning.
UnknownOriginAug 16, 2010 8:45 PM
Aug 19, 2010 7:42 PM

Sep 2008
ah ichigo 100%. one of the most frustrating endings but one of my favorite manga
Aug 22, 2010 7:41 PM

Aug 2009
Most of the time I am satisfied with the winning girl. Although my favorite endings are harem endings where the guy gets all the girls.
Sep 28, 2010 8:16 PM
Jul 2010
it depends on the character, usually in most cases the tsundere gets the guy and although I love tsunderes, it becomes predictable. And I hate predictable things, so I love it when someone totally unexpected gets the guy, which in most cases is never. But I am also fine with no decision whatsoever, well the only time I was okay with it was for a manga.... but still. Maybe it bothers me because there is no progress really in a harem but with one character (who the guy will end up with) and barely any with the others. Strange that Ilove harems because of the girls, but can't stand the way they play out.
Anyone who is a fantastic gif maker please contact me! ;)
Jul 3, 2011 11:24 PM

Nov 2010
My favorite girl NEVER wins in harem animes. NEVER.
Sep 13, 2011 3:49 PM

Aug 2011
Neko_Nozomi-Chan said:
My favorite girl NEVER wins in harem animes. NEVER.

I agree~!

Sep 30, 2011 12:27 AM

May 2011
It's occasional for me since it depends on the Anime. It also depends on which character it is focused on. If its a girl I like then its a winning situation, and if it's a girl I don't then it's a losing situation.

That's how I see it.
Oct 25, 2011 10:08 PM

Jan 2011
Do you feel uneasy when the obvious choice doesn't win?

My choices are always way off in shows (I was actually pushing for Ryou to just take a stand and win Tomoya. Longshot. I know.)

But still, rather than ending on the winner, I say continue it and see if the winner still wins after another season. I haven't seen any shows really do that. Also I think it's more of an untapped genre that shows hadn't done yet. Rather than it ending after the protagonist gets a girl, let another season run and see if that girl was REALLY the right choice or another girl could win him over.

Now THAT would be interesting.
Apr 30, 2012 9:16 PM

Feb 2012
ezikialrage said:
Most of the time I am satisfied with the winning girl. Although my favorite endings are harem endings where the guy gets all the girls.

I usually don't care for these endings as it is the same in my opinion as almost no choice was made.

I like it if a girl is chosen period, but of course I prefer usually when the girl/guy chosen is not the initial one introduced or the one they usually point towards throughout the story (few exceptions) I usually prefer the secondary type character as the one chosen in the end. (personal favs are usually the psycho ones/obsessive assertive ones) So yeah my choice is almost never the one made.
May 15, 2012 11:43 PM

Dec 2011
Well usually I don't really mind. Harem ending is not a bad idea anyway. Currently there only two series that I agree with the choice, Shuffle! and Clannad.
Mar 31, 2019 5:03 AM

Aug 2017
jimbo1023 said:
While watching Amagami SS and its take on harem anime (each girl is a winner!), I look back on many series and realize that I am rarely satisfied with the girl who "wins" at the end. Off the top of my head, I can think of only two harems where I approve of the winner (Clannad and Shuffle!).
Amagami was really cool how everyone won.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » List of Borderline Harem Anime/Manga (RATED: MATURE 17+)

UnknownOrigin - May 16, 2010

19 by ezikialrage »»
Jul 22, 2021 2:35 AM

Poll: » How do you like the girl count to start out in a harem anime?

ezikialrage - Feb 23, 2020

0 by ezikialrage »»
Feb 23, 2020 2:59 PM

» what harem

haremfreak900 - Apr 22, 2010

3 by CarbonMD »»
Mar 31, 2019 5:06 AM

» Amagami SS ranking

jimbo1023 - Dec 24, 2010

3 by CarbonMD »»
Mar 31, 2019 5:05 AM

» if you could be a harem hero who would u be and why.

haremfreak900 - Mar 6, 2011

11 by CarbonMD »»
Mar 31, 2019 5:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.