Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 15, 2010 10:20 PM

Feb 2010
oh i kno why its cuz M. Knight Shamalan(?) is directing it and everyone knos he's a terrorist in disguise
Jul 16, 2010 1:58 AM

Sep 2009
I'll go see it at the cinema, wonder if it will be any good O_o
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Jul 31, 2010 6:36 PM

May 2010
Overrated movie, it sucks.
Jul 31, 2010 6:59 PM
Oct 2008
Kurohyou-san said:
Overrated movie, it sucks.

"Overrated"? This movie was never rated highly in the first place.
Aug 3, 2010 3:15 AM

Oct 2009
I wanna go see it at the cinema...just so that i can compere it to the cartoon...cause i do like the series and I would hope that they stuck to the original storyline..
...But when sore the trailer and stuff I was rather disappointed at the Zuko character... in my opinion, not as good looking as he should have been >< cause come on Zuke is a bit of a looker :P>< lol...but i guess thats just my opinion and i will have to see how he portrays the character as well =)

but i hope its good...and i hope that Sokka is stil asl funny XD

Aug 3, 2010 3:31 AM

Jun 2010
Tbh, even if you aren't a fan to Avatar, the acting would have made anyone think "you call this acting?"
Personally, I haven't seen the series in its entirety; however, the movie seemed decent, at best. But, dang it man, that acting ticked me off >:l

I, along with MANY others (friends), were highly disappointed.
Imo, save yourself the time and money and don't watch it.
Aug 3, 2010 4:00 PM

Aug 2007
I actually want to watch this movie and I don't like Avatar
Aug 3, 2010 4:18 PM

Feb 2009
Personally, I think people are just expecting too much. Sure, the acting wasn't the best and there were far too many close-up scenes, but it wasn't really that bad.
Aug 3, 2010 5:25 PM

Oct 2008
Utterly, utterly horrible. I'm so glad my bro works at a movie theater so we didn't have to pay for the tickets.

1. The characters didn't match their physical descriptions.
2. Aang and Sokka lost their personalities.
3. Katara's narration practically shoved the story down our throats because there was no showing, but timeskips.
4. They didn't even pronounce the names correctly - seriously, why change the names? Aang -> Ung. Sokka -> Soaka. Iroh -> Eeroh
5. Zuko's ponytail is gone. That was like, huge symbolism especially later on in the series. Plus his scar is barely visible.
6. Errr, anyone else notive that the southern water tribe was filled with inuits except Katara, Sokka, and Gran Gran? XD Phail.
7. Acting was so wooden. Especially Aang.
8. Script was terrible.

If you want to watch it, download it >.> Or at least wait till it comes out on dvd and rent it. The only part of the movie I enjoyed was the special effects.
Aug 3, 2010 8:59 PM

Feb 2009
Nanako-chan said:

Well, really, it's like trying to find a real person to match an anime character. It isn't possible because there is no one who looks like an anime character.

Nanako-chan said:
2. Aang and Sokka lost their personalities.

That was something that really bugged me, they should have made the movie longer rather then trying to cram the entire water book into a short movie.

Nanako-chan said:
3. Katara's narration practically shoved the story down our throats because there was no showing, but timeskips.

Well, yeah, again, it's a movie, not a series. They didn't have time to show.

Nanako-chan said:
4. They didn't even pronounce the names correctly - seriously, why change the names? Aang -> Ung. Sokka -> Soaka. Iroh -> Eeroh

Umm, because M Night was trying to pronounce the names correctly. Technically that was the correct prounounciation.

Nanako-chan said:
5. Zuko's ponytail is gone. That was like, huge symbolism especially later on in the series. Plus his scar is barely visible.

Really though, that is a little nit-picky. I mean, sure, there was a reason for it, but it is not that huge of a deal. His scar was actually fairly visible, and he got it a few years ago, it wouldn't be blaring out like it does in the series.

Nanako-chan said:
6. Errr, anyone else notive that the southern water tribe was filled with inuits except Katara, Sokka, and Gran Gran? XD Phail.

There is a possible reason for that. I mean, they aren't from the Southern Water Tribe. Gran Gran came from the NORTHERN water tribe (and I can't remember what they looked like, I saw it right after it was released) so they wouldn't look like the Southerns.

Nanako-chan said:

Well, the guy who played Zuko was decent... But yeah, blame the director here. We KNOW he can do better with child actors, look at The Sixth Sense. I don't blame the actors.

Nanako-chan said:
8. Script was terrible.

Once again, blame M Night

Really, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. It got my Dad into the series because he enjoyed it. People who don't watch the original series seem to enjoy it, and it gets them into the TV series, so that's good. But yeah, at least the effects were good.
Aug 4, 2010 12:12 AM
Oct 2008
Kipcha said:
Well, really, it's like trying to find a real person to match an anime character. It isn't possible because there is no one who looks like an anime character.

I don't buy that at all really. Just because it's anime or anime based doesn't mean they couldn't have found ANY actors that looked like these characters. Especially since each nation and its people are based around real groups of people, they could have started from their instead of switching everything around and sticking all of those who could look like the characters in the background. I've read several fan-castings which had several actors that looked the part much more than the current movies cast.

Kipcha said:

Even if it's a movie, I think the number one rule most directors should know is that you should show instead of tell. No one wants to watch a movie where they are being told what is happening because its not believable. I hardly see how they are going to make a sequel when there was no visible relationship built up between the characters and we where just told about everything. I felt nothing about Yue nor did I feel bad for Sokka because I didn't see anything to make me believe they really cared for each other or that I should care for her. Knowing this, they should have broken this season into at least two films.

Kipcha said:
Umm, because M Night was trying to pronounce the names correctly. Technically that was the correct pronunciation.

This doesn't make sense at all considering nothing else about the film was accurate. M.Night eliminated 99% of the Asian culture and influence in the show, replaced all of the Chinese characters with gibberish, and watered down all of the specific martial art uses to arm waving. Why bother changing the names to their more correct pronunciations, which only served to annoy the movie goers, when nothing else about the film is accurate.

Kipcha said:
There is a possible reason for that. I mean, they aren't from the Southern Water Tribe. Gran Gran came from the NORTHERN water tribe (and I can't remember what they looked like, I saw it right after it was released) so they wouldn't look like the Southerns.

That doesn't make sense either since while Gran Gran is from the North, Katara and Sokka are mostly South because Gran Gran married someone from the Southern Water tribe and so did her daughter. So they should look like the rest of their tribe if we are going that route. Honestly, they should have kept it the way it was in the series where both tribes looked the same. The only thing that should have been different between the two was their customs, how they both dealt with the war, and that the North was much more well off than the South. Sokka and Katara are supposed to look inuit like the rest of their tribe, same with Gran Gran.

Kipcha said:
Well, the guy who played Zuko was decent... But yeah, blame the director here. We KNOW he can do better with child actors, look at The Sixth Sense. I don't blame the actors.

While the fault does go to the director, they just didn't hire the best actors. Dev Patel can act, and we know that if we've seen him in anything and in this film, while his acting wasn't at it's best it wasn't horrible. The rest not so much....I would exempt Aasif Mandvi also but I couldn't take any of his lines seriously and maybe that's because I'm so used to watching him on the Daily Show :/ Every line almost felt like he was delivering a joke and I was going to see Jon Stewart cameo in the next scene.

But even the best actors couldn't have made up for how bad the script was. It sounded like I was being read dialogue from a badly written fanfiction where the obvious needed to be stated to me in every. single. line.

IMO this film was as bad as it could have been. The acting, the camera work, pretty much everything. Even the effects, while nice looked tacted on with all of the arm waving and turn based fighting.
Aug 4, 2010 12:20 AM

Jul 2010
It is directed by M. Night Shyamalan, that just shows how bad it is in itself.
Aug 4, 2010 12:26 AM

Mar 2009
Thank God I movie hopped to go see that piece of shit. I would be depressed if I had to pay for it :|

At least get the pronunciation right...
Aug 4, 2010 11:03 PM

Oct 2008
Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:

Still, they could have TRIED. Heck, they do decently well with superhero flicks. Even the Scooby Doo movie had pretty good actors.

Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:

Example: My brother and Yue got really close these past two weeks.
Next Scene: I'm happy to have spent these past weeks with you.

>.>;; Like... seriously?

Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:

Umm, because M Night was trying to pronounce the names correctly. Technically that was the correct prounounciation.

Then doesn't it makes sense to use the same races of which the series is based?

Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:

Really though, that is a little nit-picky. I mean, sure, there was a reason for it, but it is not that huge of a deal. His scar was actually fairly visible, and he got it a few years ago, it wouldn't be blaring out like it does in the series.

It's just symbolism which is important in any form of entertainment - books, movies, shows, etc.

Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:

Then if we're gonna get technical, Gran Gran married a SWT male. Hakoda (Sokka and Katara's dad) is then 1/2 Northern water tribe. Then he marries and SWT woman (Kya). Already, Katara and Sokka are 1/4 NWT. That said, their should have taken on more inuit traits like the extras. Dark hair and dark skin are DOMINANT traits. Even Hakoda should be decently darker. I'm not saying it's impossible for him to look white but while he springs off another spawn, they should at least inherit their mothers or their grandfathers traits.

Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:

Zuko was decent, I admit. Dev Patel was doing pretty good with showing Zuko's anger and frustration.

Kipcha said:
Nanako-chan said:
8. Script was terrible.

Once again, blame M Night

Really, it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. It got my Dad into the series because he enjoyed it. People who don't watch the original series seem to enjoy it, and it gets them into the TV series, so that's good. But yeah, at least the effects were good.

I used to love Shayamalan but his stuff now just sucks.

Nanako-chanAug 4, 2010 11:09 PM
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - Apr 17

26 by 707supremacist »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Game of Thrones vs Attack on Titan

DOSS300 - Mar 26

11 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7587 by SilentAssassin88 »»
8 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3387 by SilentAssassin88 »»
8 hours ago

» This is one the most gay music vids i have seen^^

tsukareru - 11 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.