This show deserves to die and be reincarnated as Little Busters
Jun 26, 2010 5:59 PM
Jun 2010
Futaro said:
This show deserves to die and be reincarnated as Little Busters

Whoa, hater much?
Jun 26, 2010 6:08 PM

May 2008
Maybe there was a failure in the heart transplant, but she still wanted to thank the person who gave the heart to her for the ray of hope?
Jun 26, 2010 6:10 PM
Jun 2010
NikuiKira12 said:
Maybe there was a failure in the heart transplant, but she still wanted to thank the person who gave it to her for the ray of hope?

Yea, but Kanade said "allowed me to KEEP on living."
Jun 26, 2010 6:13 PM

Dec 2007
Yes, that's what heart transplants do.

They allow people to keep living.

25% die 2 years after receiving the transplant 40% die 5 years after the transplant. And most are dead after 10 years. But that still kept them alive for a bit longer, which is what Kanade was thanking Otonashi for.
Jun 26, 2010 6:18 PM
Jun 2010
Meddigo said:
Yes, that's what heart transplants do.

They allow people to keep living.

25% die 2 years after receiving the transplant 40% die 5 years after the transplant. And most are dead after 10 years. But that still kept them alive for a bit longer, which is what Kanade was thanking Otonashi for.

But, you said Kanade is dead.
Jun 26, 2010 6:22 PM

Dec 2007
She is dead!

She said it herself! The very words you quoted proves it. Do you struggle with reading comprehension or something?

She said (quoting the same words you used) "allowed me to keep living".

What is the first word there? Allowed. What tense is that? It's the PAST tense. Meaning that her being allowed to be kept alive was something from the past that was no longer occuring in the present (otherwise she would use the present progressive "allowing me to keep living").

So there. Your words confirm it. She was allowed to keep living, in the past. But then she died.
Jun 26, 2010 6:25 PM
Jun 2010
Meddigo said:
She is dead!

She said it herself! The very words you quoted proves it. Do you struggle with reading comprehension or something?

What is the first word there? Allowed. What tense is that? It's the PAST tense. Meaning that her being allowed to be kept alive was something from the past that was no longer occuring in the present (otherwise she would use the present progressive "allowing me to keep living").

So there. Your words confirm it. She was allowed to keep living, in the past. But then she died.

Ah, good point.
Jun 26, 2010 8:44 PM
Feb 2010
Meddigo said:
She is dead!

I'm "allowed" to go to the mall next Saturday. Past tense means nothing. There's no definitive proof she died. Also if you want to use quotes: "Even now, your heart is beating in my chest." "I got lost and wandered here." Why would someone who is already dead say this? In any case, it doesn't matter whether she died or not unless they make an OVA.
Jun 26, 2010 9:02 PM

Dec 2007
*sigh*

Grammar time eh?

*puts on teacher hat*

"I'm allowed to go to the mall next Saturday" is using "allowed" as a past participle. Here the verb "am" is used in the present, so "allowed" is passive. It doesn't determine the tense of the sentence. Because it could also be "I will be allowed..." or even "I was allowed".

"You allowed me to live" is a past tense verb.

Two completely different things from the same word. Ain't English lovely?

*takes off teacher hat*

Also, I went back and looked at Mazui's subs.

She states: "I was able to stay alive because of your heart."

Do you see that was? Can you stop with this yet?
Jun 26, 2010 10:11 PM
Jan 2010
KaliKidd said:
I'm "allowed" to go to the mall next Saturday. Past tense means nothing. There's no definitive proof she died. Also if you want to use quotes: "Even now, your heart is beating in my chest." "I got lost and wandered here." Why would someone who is already dead say this? In any case, it doesn't matter whether she died or not unless they make an OVA.

I understand people getting confused by the time issue but this is ridiculous

Let me clarify it: Kanade died, no matter how you do look at it
GBcrazyJun 26, 2010 10:18 PM
Jun 26, 2010 10:27 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, so many people contributed already, well here's my 2 pennies and hopefully no one wrote something similar as mine :p

1) I think she fell in love with him and didn't want to tell him until she really have to 'cause she wanted to be with him as long as possible

2) Wishes and dreams change as well as increases. As this show is a living proof, but then it doesn't really take an idiot to figure that out.

3) Kanade died. However, how she died is unknown. She could have gotten the heart transplant but died of something else, or Otonashi's heart was just weak and only gave her a couple more days/weeks/years. The very end, the reason you see Kanade and Otonashi because they are reincarnated. However, that's all we are shown, one of their friends (like Yuri or something) might have became a dog or whatever since we were told in the begining of the show that you don't always reborn as a human.

If you really want to learn about this then I suggest you either google up Buddhism (since it was stated in the anime this is based on that religion; reincarnation and all). Same soul = similar body or of the sort.

Now this isn't part of the question asked by the starter of the thread, just a question I saw while scanning through the first page, about the timing of Kanade being in the world longer than Otonashi even though he died first. A way to explain this could be that "God" or the world's "Angel Player System" noticed something was going wrong in that world, people are not fulfilling their dreams and leaving the place, and so "it/he" decided to put Otonashi in there to help out everyone. I think this way 'cause it's also been stated in the anime that Otonashi didn't really have a meaning for being in that world, he even thought about this himself saying "Maybe I was put here to help everyone" (in episode 11 or 10). And so the reason Kanade was there before is because of her unfulfilled wish, and the time lag between her arrival to that world, and the world/god realizing the people are "cheating" the system; thus sending Otonashi.
iLove3PJun 26, 2010 10:31 PM
Jun 26, 2010 10:34 PM
Feb 2009
Well one of those is that I don't think that time works normally in the afterlife

Specific answer:
2) She won't leave until she lets go of everything she wants to do in the afterlife. At the end she does what she wanted to do by saying thank you to him, but after that she also wants to hear him say that he loves her one last time.

Pretty simple imo
Jun 26, 2010 10:43 PM

Oct 2007
VGJunky said:
Well one of those is that I don't think that time works normally in the afterlife

Thought about that too, but that doesn't really explain why Kanade was in that world for so long while Otonashi, whom died before Kanade, got there so late.
Jun 26, 2010 10:49 PM

Jan 2009
xMafiax said:
VGJunky said:

Thought about that too, but that doesn't really explain why Kanade was in that world for so long while Otonashi, whom died before Kanade, got there so late.

some added speculation, Otonoshi is a bug he is one of the rare case that guy on episode 12 was talking about he said to Yurrippe "but on rare occassions, someone who lived a fulfilling life for the sake of others will wander in due to amnesia" and "thats when this kind of bug occurs" i dont know about others but if a person have amnesia (in this case Otonashi's soul) then he will definitely wander around all over the place wasting a lot of time (lost soul) so this might explain too why Otonashi appears later than Kanade on the purgatory instead of Otonoshi appearing first on the purgatory

also if you consider that angel beats is made in japan a predominately buddhist country.
on the path to rebirth a soul can wonder (forgot the buddhist term), so what might have been 2hrs before he ended up there to him might have been a few months to a few years

ye maybe Otonoshi's soul wandering around before manifesting physically on that purgatory world is partly based on that Bhuddist explanation you presented

P.S.: this are some ideas that we discussed here http://animestash.info/forum/index.php/topic,13894.msg164916.html#msg164916
Jun 27, 2010 2:23 AM

Jan 2010
Meddigo said:
Sigh. No. This is basic reincarnation.

But go ahead and think that Kanade ain't dead if it makes you feel so much better.

I've got to agree that Kanade is dead. Just want to point out: If she was in a coma (which I don't believe she was), even if she awoke and met with Otonashi she'd be the same age physically and mentally. I'm saying this as a reference to Clannad sine

However, Kanade is dead :) Even Yuri said that she is not an angel but is someone like them, who has lost their lives, regret something, and are in the after life :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2010 3:58 PM
Jun 2009
Igloo said:
I have 2 quick questions about Ep 13, and then something else to say...I guess a theory of mine.

1. Ok, so Otonashi was the one who saved Kanade's life, right? And the reason for Kanade being there is so she could thank him. Well, the thing I don't get is, as soon as she knew it was him, why didn't she thank him? She said she knew when she stabbed him, so why didn't she say thanks, then? If it was because she wasn't sure until Otonashi got his memories back from sleeping on her, then why didn't she thank him THEN? See what I mean? Why did she just randomly decide to tell him right there, after Otonashi said he loved her?

2. How would Otonashi saying he loved Kanade make her disappear? She won't disappear until she thanks Otonashi, but she was telling him to say he loved her one more time, and he didn't want to because she will disappear. Why? Does Kanade love him too, and maybe she won't feel complete/fulfilled until she both thanks him AND knows he loves her?

3. Is it possible that Kanade didn't die? She got a heart transplant and her life was saved, so maybe she didn't die? Maybe she just, like...found her way into that world while she was sleeping, and then went into a coma or something? And then woke up after she disappeared? As far as we know, she didn't die.

haha you're missing one important point
Why was Kanade earlier in the afterlife?! She only got the heart AFTER Otonashi!
Jul 5, 2010 3:15 AM

Mar 2010
carlove said:
Igloo said:
I have 2 quick questions about Ep 13, and then something else to say...I guess a theory of mine.

1. Ok, so Otonashi was the one who saved Kanade's life, right? And the reason for Kanade being there is so she could thank him. Well, the thing I don't get is, as soon as she knew it was him, why didn't she thank him? She said she knew when she stabbed him, so why didn't she say thanks, then? If it was because she wasn't sure until Otonashi got his memories back from sleeping on her, then why didn't she thank him THEN? See what I mean? Why did she just randomly decide to tell him right there, after Otonashi said he loved her?

2. How would Otonashi saying he loved Kanade make her disappear? She won't disappear until she thanks Otonashi, but she was telling him to say he loved her one more time, and he didn't want to because she will disappear. Why? Does Kanade love him too, and maybe she won't feel complete/fulfilled until she both thanks him AND knows he loves her?

3. Is it possible that Kanade didn't die? She got a heart transplant and her life was saved, so maybe she didn't die? Maybe she just, like...found her way into that world while she was sleeping, and then went into a coma or something? And then woke up after she disappeared? As far as we know, she didn't die.

haha you're missing one important point
Why was Kanade earlier in the afterlife?! She only got the heart AFTER Otonashi!

There are soooo many threads on this so look through them, particularly the one called "Otonashi's body and health issues" - http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=241359
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 25, 2010

1752 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 23, 10:54 AM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - Jun 4, 2010

662 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:41 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 28, 2010

565 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ShibuyaRiver - May 21, 2010

388 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Angel Beats! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - May 14, 2010

538 by jilebi_james23 »»
Apr 22, 9:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.