Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 19, 2010 5:20 PM

Dec 2009
(There are no real spoilers here, except for what happens in the first couple of chapters ...)

This is something that has always bothered me when i read this series, and when i reread it.

I've never really understood the deal between Rei and Takashi. When we start reading this manga, we see Rei dating Takashi's friend. But before that, it is hinted that she actually liked Takashi. So Why did she start dating his friend ?
She said it was because he was nice and stuff, but when he dies in the first chapter, she jumps right back on the Takashi wagon.
She's a goddamn complicated girl, like when the thing with her teacher happened she went to takashi's friend instead of him for help, i don't really understand the reason ...

If he wasn't dead, would she even care about Takashi ? Did she use his friend to make him jealous ?
Because right now she's being real selfish, Takashi feels like he's the second choice ...
Because she really did switch fast ... From" how could kill him," to "don't leave me", and jumping Takashi ...

The authors should stop being so freaking vague about the romance and have them have a real goddamn conversation when they aren't chased by zombies, and have some time, instead of some ecchi that isn't leading anywhere >.<.
This is like a freaking fly, that doesn't let me be emerged by all the zombie slaying going around ....

----->So in the end I just really wish someone could clear how Rei perceives Takashi ... :p
Jul 2, 2010 11:05 AM

Jun 2009
that are girls, they are so selfish. I were Takashi. I will leave hear and let her die...
maybe the mangaka think the romance will great if they make it that way, but what did they get "Most of HotD fans hate the main heroine" XD
Jul 5, 2010 12:45 AM

Mar 2010
Yeahh..I'm happy I'm not the only one who hates her...she has like super mood swings and 90% of the time it's stuck in bitch mode. She wouldn't care about him if her old bf was alive but now he's gone all she is doing is cock blocking Takashi from Saeko with "left over feelings".

Jul 5, 2010 1:39 AM

Feb 2008
Well how can you actually comfirmed that she isn't care about Takashi? You can't not easily hated someone if it's your childhood friend.

Izumi: Will you actually leave your best friend or somebody your love? Then you are a very coldness person that not trusted people, so why are you here?

6499 posts since Jun 2009, you really posts much aren't you?

I haven't read the manga so can't give any special detail only watch the first episode of the anime and it's good.

Why are you hating her? I think she have a bit feeling of Takashi and beside she doesn't want to left alone, even thought he is still alive I think she would care for Takashi.
It could be that she still be in love with Takashi.

What are you expect from episode 1?

Yeah I know this is the manga section but what a hell.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 5, 2010 3:56 PM

Oct 2008
Because she knows he loves her and she uses it as a way to stab him where it hurts when she is feeling down. This does indeed qualify her as a bitch. I don't know if i would let her die, but to realize he deserves better is a given. Obviously it is hard to give up on someone you love and admit they aren't going to treat you right, but it would be for the best in the long run.
Jul 5, 2010 8:53 PM

Jun 2009
Blackbird said:
Well how can you actually comfirmed that she isn't care about Takashi? You can't not easily hated someone if it's your childhood friend.

I'm not saying she isn't care about Takashi, she is just damn way too selfish. even I already knew she care about Takashi even going out with somebody else -I'm reading manga-

Blackbird said:
Izumi: Will you actually leave your best friend or somebody your love? Then you are a very coldness person that not trusted people, so why are you here?

Yes, that's me right now. why should I care someone who only give me pain? trusted people? I think I have some.
Why here? cmon on, this a fiction we're talking about. I'm here because this is my hobby and this is internet!!!

Blackbird said:

Why are you hating her? I think she have a bit feeling of Takashi and beside she doesn't want to left alone, even thought he is still alive I think she would care for Takashi.
It could be that she still be in love with Takashi.

Yeah, definitely love Takashi, because there's no one she can rely on anymore. -bitch detected-
hating her? I'm loathing her!! she's on my top 10 bitches. she is a type girl who will cheating on you when you're not around, definitely. if she's marrying Takashi, maybe we can watch her "Hitozuma hentai version of her" XD
actually I started thinking about your love relationship in real life. I hope your gf in real life really nice person.
IZUMI64Jul 5, 2010 9:54 PM
Jul 6, 2010 11:55 AM

Dec 2009
hehe this has gotten heated :p.
I think all you guys are right
She did love Takashi but he was ignoring her like she said, then came his friend who was not far from being a great guy, why turn down the offer ?
From certain "in between chapters" and in the beginning it is clear she is rubbing her relationship with the other dude in front of Takashi, Logical reason being ? Yes, to provoke a jealous reaction out of Takashi, after her boyfriend's death that is only made clearer. She was doing what a lot of girls do, grab his attention. :p
She does love him, but she is really selfish.
He should let her die :p, but they were friends.
She is surrounded by zombies, so that really speeds up the process :p, feelings are also more intense in situations of dead, so she realizes her love for him a lot quicker ... when you are about to lose something, like what happened to her in the first chapters, like when Takashi was going to leave, it only made her discover his importance.
What i think is more accurate, is that she dropped her act, and just came clean. Honestly, she just doesn't want the guy that she loves to leave her be.
She also has a lot of competition, jealousy, going on with the gang. That makes her lust and love only bigger.

Seriously now, what do you guys think ? Putting your emotions aside, and thinking outside of the "manga love world"?

If you think real life, and leave your manga/japanese society perspective alone, I understand that girl.
In real life, if a girl made me wait all the time, and is undecisive, then i too would try and find, a sweet nice girl, and move on. Maybe we've been reading too much manga with that unrealistic love life :p.
Come on really,it's not because you love someone, that you will stay loyal (in the sense of promises and stuff, not sexually, because i hate cheaters :p ) to him/her if they are uncertain.

It's just the authors are dragging this issue way too long.
Is it really that hard for them to talk about "Them"? They have plenty of time between the killings, why don't they talk about their feelings.
Because if they dare to make them a couple without bringing this issue up, then Takashi might as well be a badass zombie killer, he remains a wimp in life :p.

That aside, think about her dead boyfriend, a couple of hours after his death, she's already throwing herself on to her unfulfilled love. Now that is what i call TREASON !

-For the people that read or watch this manga, not only does she seem like a "bitch" to Takashi, who cares if he loves her,she said she loved him but went out with his friend.
-To her boyfriend too, 2 minutes after his dead, she seems to only vaguely remember him.
-To people around them, Cock blocker, every girl wants a piece of him but that girl only gets in the way :p.
-To us, her actions make us speechless.

F%ck Takashi grow some balls and confront her seriously ...

For the moment, it's not that i hate her :p, let's just say i dislike her, she gives me a sick feeling when i read the early chapters. She certainly isn't the most popular girl in the manga.

The word i was searching for was FRUSTRATION >,>

I think i addressed all the issues at hand :p, they're just highschool students in the end :p...

But for now I'm seriously on the Saeko Busujima Team! :p
kelfounetJul 6, 2010 11:59 AM
Jul 6, 2010 3:42 PM

Jun 2009
@kelfounet: Actually kinda pissing me off, if someone like some annoying chara and give them compliment too much. if like them, just like them then don't say anything like "She is not wrong ; actually she is nice ; etc". because there are prove that they are annoying.
btw, you're on Saeko's team right now XD
vote for her here : http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=115111
still 12 to 2 for Saeko XD
IZUMI64Jul 6, 2010 3:45 PM
Jul 6, 2010 6:39 PM

Dec 2009
IZUMI64 said:
@kelfounet: Actually kinda pissing me off, if someone like some annoying chara and give them compliment too much. if like them, just like them then don't say anything like "She is not wrong ; actually she is nice ; etc". because there are prove that they are annoying.

Who pisses you off :O ?

:p, i really hope the author takes into account, the overwhelming amount of Saeko fans. Because, you have to be blind to not realize this, and besides it's not like the chapters come flowing out, so he pretty much has a lot of time to read the reactions :)

PS : i already voted on that forum loool ^^
Jul 6, 2010 11:57 PM

Jun 2009
kelfounet said:
IZUMI64 said:

Who pisses you off :O ?

:p, i really hope the author takes into account, the overwhelming amount of Saeko fans. Because, you have to be blind to not realize this, and besides it's not like the chapters come flowing out, so he pretty much has a lot of time to read the reactions :)

PS : i already voted on that forum loool ^^

not to you, but all annoying chara fans out there.
I hope so, but I think manga gonna end soon. so, it's time to get serious and get rid all romance crap... XD
Jul 7, 2010 1:10 AM

Jun 2007
Murbella said:
Because she knows he loves her and she uses it as a way to stab him where it hurts when she is feeling down. This does indeed qualify her as a bitch. I don't know if i would let her die, but to realize he deserves better is a given. Obviously it is hard to give up on someone you love and admit they aren't going to treat you right, but it would be for the best in the long run.

It's actually a bit of this and the fact that he cant man up and take things head on. Rei points this out in one of the earlier chapters which consistently causes Takashi to be more of a man throughout the series and results in Rei's feelings becoming more clear as we read.

Basically it came down to Takashi being a coward and not fighting for what he wanted (ie. Rei). I'm under the impression that Rei just hooked up with Takashi's friend as a way to make Takashi jealous but eventually started to like the guy.

She's a typical manipulative high school girl.
Jul 7, 2010 1:34 AM

Jun 2009
DeathfireD said:

Basically it came down to Takashi being a coward and not fighting for what he wanted (ie. Rei)

first, correct me if I wrong please. I thought I've never read or watched -I mean in anime or manga-, Takashi being coward for his feeling toward Rei. in fact, Rei left him -never going out with him even he asked to-, and the reason was Takashi didn't understand her feeling or something crap like that -because Takashi repeated a year (Wtf!!)-. I think whats actually happened between them still unclear till now.
IZUMI64Jul 7, 2010 2:12 AM
Jul 7, 2010 4:41 AM

Dec 2009
Believe, the manga is far from over.
They still have to find there parents, i predict Takashi is going to have a mental crisis when he meets them, probably because he's going to have to kill his parents or some stuff like that, :p.
Rei is also searching for her parents, is going to become depressed because of something, and the romance part will speed up probably, or she will unleash her anger on Takashi.
Oh yeah the freaky teacher and his students, they will surely come back in the story.
They still have to find a way out, They still have to clear the love triangle too.

And remember we're at chapter 26 and only a couple of days have passed.

They still so many stories possible, so i don't think it will end just here.

@DeathfireD
I think your absolutely right :p. He was a coward because he didn't go after what he wanted. But after all the Zombie stuff, he becomes a leader and so on ... she points this out when they are in that mansion.
Jul 7, 2010 5:01 AM

Jun 2009
where you read chap 26? I got only 25...
and do you know why I think this manga gonna end soon? because it reminds of FMA manga,,,continued after got 2nd season and the anime end like in the manga perfectly...
IZUMI64Jul 7, 2010 5:05 AM
Jul 7, 2010 7:04 PM
Jun 2010
Yea, Rei really irks me, when her boyfriend died whom she dated for only a little while, she blatantly told Takashi that she wanted to die with her boyfriend, which is a HUGE HUGE slap in the face for Takashi, then she suddenly goes back with Takashi and she keeps thinking about her dead boyfriend which really pisses me off, Takashi should date Saeko and tell Rei that Seiko "understood" him like how Rei was with her boyfriend. I would sooo love that.
Jul 8, 2010 1:37 AM

Jun 2007
IZUMI64 said:
DeathfireD said:

Basically it came down to Takashi being a coward and not fighting for what he wanted (ie. Rei)

first, correct me if I wrong please. I thought I've never read or watched -I mean in anime or manga-, Takashi being coward for his feeling toward Rei. in fact, Rei left him -never going out with him even he asked to-, and the reason was Takashi didn't understand her feeling or something crap like that -because Takashi repeated a year (Wtf!!)-. I think whats actually happened between them still unclear till now.

Your broken English confuses me but I'll try to respond anyway. Takashi knew what he wanted but never went for it. He liked Rei and she knew he liked her but he never showed any ambition or motivation to go after her, claim her, or protect her. instead she hooks up with his best friend either to make Takashi jealous enough to fight for her or simply because Takashi's friend had the personality that Rei was interested in.

If you read all the chapters you'll understand what I mean a little better. Rei basically told Takashi in one of the later chapters that Takashi used to be a coward but changed into a leader. She has obviously liked him all this time even when she had a b/f, the problem is she's got a similar personality to Takashi's so progress between them wasn't going to be made unless Takashi made the first move which probably never would have happened if it wasn't for the Zombie outbreak.
Jul 8, 2010 5:34 AM

Dec 2009
Raigeki1993 said:
Yea, Rei really irks me, when her boyfriend died whom she dated for only a little while, she blatantly told Takashi that she wanted to die with her boyfriend, which is a HUGE HUGE slap in the face for Takashi, then she suddenly goes back with Takashi and she keeps thinking about her dead boyfriend which really pisses me off, Takashi should date Saeko and tell Rei that Seiko "understood" him like how Rei was with her boyfriend. I would sooo love that.

HAHA i really hope that happens !
But the authors are probably going to take the safe route, like most harems and make the Takashi-Rei couple, but if they do just as you said, then that would make me love this manga even more.
Jul 8, 2010 5:46 AM

Sep 2008
Rei is what you'd call a ball breaker..or a c0ck blocker

Murbella said:
Because she knows he loves her and she uses it as a way to stab him where it hurts when she is feeling down. This does indeed qualify her as a bitch..

^
pretty much what I thought from volume 1

for a chick to make a promise like marriage(even if they were young) and then make off with the best friend for reasons like what she implies with Takashi, is enough to make me wanna slash her wrist for her

Yeah he's indecisive, but like how old is the guy meant to be....what? 15-16

I'd be all smiles if they do kill her off and Takashi ends up with Saeko(but i know that wont be fulfilled)
Jul 8, 2010 7:59 AM
Jun 2010
DeathfireD said:
IZUMI64 said:
DeathfireD said:

Your broken English confuses me but I'll try to respond anyway. Takashi knew what he wanted but never went for it. He liked Rei and she knew he liked her but he never showed any ambition or motivation to go after her, claim her, or protect her. instead she hooks up with his best friend either to make Takashi jealous enough to fight for her or simply because Takashi's friend had the personality that Rei was interested in.

If you read all the chapters you'll understand what I mean a little better. Rei basically told Takashi in one of the later chapters that Takashi used to be a coward but changed into a leader. She has obviously liked him all this time even when she had a b/f, the problem is she's got a similar personality to Takashi's so progress between them wasn't going to be made unless Takashi made the first move which probably never would have happened if it wasn't for the Zombie outbreak.

I know for a fact that Rei didn't date Takashi's best friend just to make him jealous, she actually did love that Hisashi bastard, she wanted to die with him. She's a bitch because if she truly did love Takashi, she would of tried everyday to be closer to Takashi, instead of dumping him for his best friend. She also lied to Takashi, she said she held back a year to be with him, it was a LIE, it was because of that teacher blackmailing Rei's father and he manages the grade and failed Rei. She never wanted to be held back. That little bitch should die.

Also, the way that Rei acts, with her jealousy towards Saeko, she seemed really psychotic... that's why I have a STRONG feeling that what happened in School Days might happen here, she might try to kill Saeke, but Saeke won't die that easily =].
Jul 8, 2010 4:15 PM

Dec 2009
Raigeki1993 said:

I know for a fact that Rei didn't date Takashi's best friend just to make him jealous, she actually did love that Hisashi bastard, she wanted to die with him. She's a bitch because if she truly did love Takashi, she would of tried everyday to be closer to Takashi, instead of dumping him for his best friend. She also lied to Takashi, she said she held back a year to be with him, it was a LIE, it was because of that teacher blackmailing Rei's father and he manages the grade and failed Rei. She never wanted to be held back. That little bitch should die.

Also, the way that Rei acts, with her jealousy towards Saeko, she seemed really psychotic... that's why I have a STRONG feeling that what happened in School Days might happen here, she might try to kill Saeke, but Saeke won't die that easily =].

Wow wow wait, you can't be naive and believe everything you read:p.
She wanted to die with her boyfriend ? come on, she just said that, because Takashi gave her the option, she just hung on him, not wanting to be alone and stuff.
What people say, and do, isn't always the same.

Come on, it isn't because you love someone that you will cling on to them forever, it depends on your personality.
And i believe Rei to be as much of a coward as Takashi when it comes to relationships, she didn't want to make the first move, and he left her waiting.

But in the latest chapters, sparks between the love trio have started to get hot, so i hope they start making godamn progress.
Jul 9, 2010 2:20 AM
Jun 2010
kelfounet said:
Raigeki1993 said:

Wow wow wait, you can't be naive and believe everything you read:p.
She wanted to die with her boyfriend ? come on, she just said that, because Takashi gave her the option, she just hung on him, not wanting to be alone and stuff.
What people say, and do, isn't always the same.

Come on, it isn't because you love someone that you will cling on to them forever, it depends on your personality.
And i believe Rei to be as much of a coward as Takashi when it comes to relationships, she didn't want to make the first move, and he left her waiting.

But in the latest chapters, sparks between the love trio have started to get hot, so i hope they start making godamn progress.

Doesn't change the fact that she actually did love Hirashi. The proof is that she kept thinking about him EVEN AFTER HES DEADDDDDDDDDDDD. Hirashi was Takashi's best friend, not ONCE did he ever think about him.
Jul 9, 2010 3:10 AM

Sep 2008
All in favor for Rei to get zombified and Takashi and Saeko to hook up say I

so which doll do u prefer?
Jul 9, 2010 3:48 AM
Jun 2010
obliviouz said:

I!
And Saeke looks nice, Rei's position makes me think that while she was dating Takashi, she's been slutting around.
Jul 10, 2010 4:22 PM

Jun 2007
Raigeki1993 said:
DeathfireD said:
IZUMI64 said:
DeathfireD said:

She did that to get a reaction out of Takashi. Whether or not she really loved his best friend is debatable and somewhat pointless at this point. The fact that she immediately clung to Takashi as he was going to hope over the barrier and basically sacrifice himself showed that she was not only selfish but also held some kind of affection towards him. Again, as you read the story you'll understand her real feelings towards Takashi.
Jul 12, 2010 2:14 AM
Jun 2010
DeathfireD said:
Raigeki1993 said:
DeathfireD said:
IZUMI64 said:
DeathfireD said:

She did that to get a reaction out of Takashi. Whether or not she really loved his best friend is debatable and somewhat pointless at this point. The fact that she immediately clung to Takashi as he was going to hope over the barrier and basically sacrifice himself showed that she was not only selfish but also held some kind of affection towards him. Again, as you read the story you'll understand her real feelings towards Takashi.

Lmfao, if you were with someone in a zombified worlded, and the person you're with says he's going to sacrifice, I'm pretty sure you'd cling onto him too.
Jul 12, 2010 3:06 AM

Sep 2008
Raigeki1993 said:

Lmfao, if you were with someone in a zombified worlded, and the person you're with says he's going to sacrifice, I'm pretty sure you'd cling onto him too.

^^ that

which brings it down to that Rei is a bitch and should step aside for Takashi and Saeko to accept their feelings and have a doujin set up for me to read next
Jul 12, 2010 8:47 AM

Dec 2009
human feelings/emotions are complicated.
Everyone here who holds a different opinion attests to that fact ^^.
We will see later on what the author will do about this, i just hope it doesn't end with cliches.
kelfounetJul 12, 2010 9:17 AM
Jul 13, 2010 2:01 AM

Jun 2009
obliviouz said:
Raigeki1993 said:

^^ that

which brings it down to that Rei is a bitch and should step aside for Takashi and Saeko to accept their feelings and have a doujin set up for me to read next

vote this^
Jul 13, 2010 3:27 AM

Jun 2007
I could second that. Anyway, I find Rei fairly annoying and whiny.

obliviouz said:

Sore wa himitsu desu.
Jul 13, 2010 7:23 AM

Sep 2008
Well after chapter 26, its just proven that whilst there are moments where sparks fly with Rei & Takashi, if Rei didn't have her head at 2 places at once(one is up her ass I believe) she might actually have had a chance with Takashi...

Rei's bitchiness still reigns supreme(subtle as it is), and I believe there would be a lot of fans very disappointed if Takashi takes the Miyamoto flag instead off being with Saeko who has been as sexy and level headed(yes, having the urge to kill someone and loving it is sexy and and quite a turn on for me) since the get go...
Jul 13, 2010 11:44 PM

Jan 2010
I gotta admit, this love triangle is pretty entertaining. Especially for a guy who does Hentai, this is pretty good. Heh, This better than the love story of Bleach and Naruto.
Jul 21, 2010 11:51 AM
Jul 2010
Well... It did say in Wikipedia that Rei did love Takashi ever since Kindergarten and both promised that they will be married someday, but due to Takashi's indecisiveness she instead went to Hisashi for comfort and understanding her feelings well my response is Rei did love Takashi ever since, but due to Takashi's dilemma Rei instead went to Hisashi which is obviously a bitch move, but nevertheless she still loves Takeshi.
Jul 21, 2010 11:56 AM
Jul 2010
Well... It did say in Wikipedia that Rei did love Takashi ever since Kindergarten and both promised that they will be married someday, but due to Takashi's indecisiveness she instead went to Hisashi for comfort and understanding her feelings well my response is Rei did love Takashi ever since, but due to Takashi's dilemma Rei instead went to Hisashi which is obviously a bitch move, but nevertheless she still loves Takeshi.
Jan 31, 2011 2:48 PM
Jan 2011
Thank u. It's clear some people skipped the first chapter and didn't bother reading anything with Rei in it. It was clear in Takashi's flashback that she had promised to marry him when they were kids. Then on the stairs at Shizuka's apartment she explains that she went to Hisashi because he was there for her and Takashi wasn't.

Then later she tells Takashi she's noticed the change in him, how he didn't hesitate to protect her and all he's done for her.

I'm really not understanding where all the hate for Rei is coming from.
Apr 26, 2016 7:48 AM
Apr 2016
Lol But When Takashi and Saeko was in the shrine I'm pretty sure they did something more than stay with her and comfort her throughout the night.
Sep 24, 2016 1:31 PM

Dec 2014
I haven't read the manga yet and watched up to episode 6, but let me say this. I believe people say Rei broke the promise to marry Takashi is because of this: Say you promise to marry someone, right? But somewhere down the line, you start dating someone else because of the other indecisiveness. Would you really have the heart to break up with someone just to keep a promise? No, I don't think so. That just heartless to the person you been dating. Because if Rei and Hiashi (sorry if I got his name wrong) dated pass high school and college, since the apocalypse hasn't happened, Hiashi would've asked Rei to marry him. Now Rei had two choices: accept or don't accept. If it shown she truly loved him, she would accept. If she only dated him just to make Takashi jealous, she wouldn't accept. When Takashi killed Hiashi, and Rei told him she wanted to become one of "Them" and said Takashi hated the guy for dating her and chose to go fight alone and her stopping him: I believe she didn't want to lose no one else close too her, especially in front of her eyes. Her mind probably wasn't in the right place when she told him that and when he was going to fight "Them" alone, it snapped her out of it realizing she was going to lose her childhood friend and first (and most likely current) love.
Nov 9, 2017 3:30 AM
Dec 2012
(Zombie posting ftw!)
c-no said:
Thank u. It's clear some people skipped the first chapter and didn't bother reading anything with Rei in it. It was clear in Takashi's flashback that she had promised to marry him when they were kids.

Yes, they promised. He never forgot. She apparently did. (Even if she did remember, she herself never mentions the promise.)
Then on the stairs at Shizuka's apartment she explains that she went to Hisashi because he was there for her and Takashi wasn't.

In chapter 6 (on the stairs in that apartment), all she says is that "Whenever I'd want to go out, Takashi was always busy or something." That does not indicate in any way that he wasn't there for her during important times.

In fact, the main point of conflict is with regards to Rei being held back a year. In chapter 1, Takashi is shown talking to Rei about it; Rei coldly replied "You wouldn't understand." And it gets even worse; it's discovered in chapter 14 (after pointing the bayonet at Shidou) that Rei deliberately chose to confide in Hisashi rather than Takashi. She says "Don't try to console me. I hate that! That's what you always do. I even wanted to ask for your help with Shidou, so I talked to Hisashi about it instead."

Think about that sequence of statements. It makes no sense. Why would you not confide in someone who is always there for you when you need them? It. Makes. No. Sense.

This is what happens chronologically: (1) Rei is failed by Shidou and gets held back a year, (2) Takashi tries to console the girl he loves, (3) Rei pushes him away saying "You wouldn't understand", (4) Rei confides in Hisashi instead, (5) Takashi, Rei and Hisashi end up in the same class, (6) Rei makes her move on Hisashi (in chapter 1, Takashi states "Rei is the one who wanted to go out with Hisashi" - which is fully consistent with her decision to confide in Hisashi rather than Takashi to begin with).
Then later she tells Takashi she's noticed the change in him, how he didn't hesitate to protect her and all he's done for her.

The only one who claims that Takashi has changed is Rei - and even she admits (in chapter 12) that she simply didn't realize his true character ("That's how you've always been. I think I just didn't notice it before."). In contrast, Saya admires Takashi just as much now as she did before (as shown in the extra chapter where she and Hirano are surviving together in the school).

More to the point, the scenes actually shown in the manga made it apparent that his personality is consistent. Beginning from the very first chapter, he endures and puts up with the circumstances he's been dealt as best he can without complaint - yet he isn't a cold-hearted stoic who keeps everything to himself. When things are tough he will confide in his friends and share his worries (whether it because he's bothered by the loss of his first love, or because he's bothered by the events occurring in the zombie apocalypse) - and that's precisely what makes him suitable as a leader.
I'm really not understanding where all the hate for Rei is coming from.

Rei claims that she chose Hisashi because of the vague notion that Takashi was "busy or something", but the truth is that she herself deliberately pushed him away in favor of Hisashi prior to entering the same class. And she did this knowing that he had emotions for her. (The fact that she knew of his feelings was proven by her claim that Takashi was jealous of Hisashi in chapter 1.)

Takashi for his part tried to be there for Rei in a time of need. And he got coldly denied. Even then, he still went to save Rei and Hisashi from the upcoming disaster. And he got verbally abused after Hisashi's death. And in spite of all that he's done for her, she continues to bring up Hisashi over and over - all the while trying to make Takashi feel as though it's his fault she went out with Hisashi, despite the fact that she herself deliberately pushed away Takashi and pursued Hisashi. And all the while she's trying to make him feel guilty for having been cold to her in the past (even though it's her who was cold to him), he never tries to make her feel guilty about the childhood promise.

To top it all off... In chapter 2, there's a nameless girl who throws away her life after she sees her boyfriend dying; this is deliberate - the authors wanted to show that moment as a stark contrast to Rei's actions following Hisashi's death. Even though Rei was extremely clingy to Hisashi in chapter 1, she quickly moved onto someone else. She begins to cling onto Takashi immediately after Hisashi's death and shows affection to him in spite of how cold she was previously.

Honestly, I think her actions and words prove that she's both shallow and deceptive. If that's not the case, then the author sure went out of his way to mislead the readers about her true character.
Mar 20, 2018 6:50 AM
Mar 2018
I really hate peoples excuse's for rei because there complete bullshit.
the most popular excuse is that takashi could not show his feelings but that is natural for a boy his age and another excuse is that rei only went out with takashi's best friend to make takashi jealous but that means she's even worse because she's willy to destroy their friendship and it also shows that she could not show her feelings well.
WHY REI IS A BAD PERSON;
1.she dated takashi's best friend after they broke up.
2.she made the fact that takashi had to kill his best friend to save her about him being jealous.
3.she flirted with takashi even though a few hours ago her boyfriend just died.
4.she claimed takashi as her own and gets angry when he flirts with other girls even though they are not dating and she went out with his best friend.
Apr 16, 2018 2:02 AM
Apr 2018
Well for me, I still choose Rei I don't know why I don't like Saeko for Takashi. But I Love Rei for Takashi I ship them. I know Rei made a big mistakes to choose another guy over him but I think she realize that she still loves Takashi at the end. I hope author might find in a clearer way to resolve the misunderstanding between Rei, Takashi and Hisashi. Still wish he ends with Rei and I'm gonna super duper happy for them~. Unconditionally love. Saeko said that she has someone she likes I think its different guy I hope it its. Nevermind what they're doing in the temple geez Takashi you must end up with Rei.
Aug 14, 2023 2:28 AM
Mar 2022
He is just another make shift japanese pathetic cowardly loser for the self insert life rejects of lower dregs of japan otaku/incels.  The only reason he did anything with the Saeko was they were along and she was damn up front and forceful cause being the character he is had anyone else been within 100ft of them and could "find out" he would have squeeled like a bitch and ran he always does like all make shift self insert cowards...  On top of that he is just a straight up angry unlikeable asshole and i always wish he died instead of musashi so at least Rei who deserves 100x better that little brooding gloomy dipshit but is essentially forced to stick with him due to no options and her best odds of survival.  Takashi is a total douchbag on so so so many levels and doesnt deserve any of the girls at all.  Nobody like him does.
Aug 28, 2023 6:01 PM
Jul 2016
Gastaf said:
Yeahh..I'm happy I'm not the only one who hates her...she has like super mood swings and 90% of the time it's stuck in bitch mode. She wouldn't care about him if her old bf was alive but now he's gone all she is doing is cock blocking Takashi from Saeko with "left over feelings".
Same. It's a love hate relationship for me xD
Aug 28, 2023 6:06 PM
Jul 2016
kelfounet said:
hehe this has gotten heated :p.
I think all you guys are right
She did love Takashi but he was ignoring her like she said, then came his friend who was not far from being a great guy, why turn down the offer ?
From certain "in between chapters" and in the beginning it is clear she is rubbing her relationship with the other dude in front of Takashi, Logical reason being ? Yes, to provoke a jealous reaction out of Takashi, after her boyfriend's death that is only made clearer. She was doing what a lot of girls do, grab his attention. :p
She does love him, but she is really selfish.
He should let her die :p, but they were friends.
She is surrounded by zombies, so that really speeds up the process :p, feelings are also more intense in situations of dead, so she realizes her love for him a lot quicker ... when you are about to lose something, like what happened to her in the first chapters, like when Takashi was going to leave, it only made her discover his importance.
What i think is more accurate, is that she dropped her act, and just came clean. Honestly, she just doesn't want the guy that she loves to leave her be.
She also has a lot of competition, jealousy, going on with the gang. That makes her lust and love only bigger.

Seriously now, what do you guys think ? Putting your emotions aside, and thinking outside of the "manga love world"?

If you think real life, and leave your manga/japanese society perspective alone, I understand that girl.
In real life, if a girl made me wait all the time, and is undecisive, then i too would try  and find, a sweet nice girl, and move on. Maybe we've been reading too much manga with that unrealistic love life :p.
Come on really,it's not because you love someone, that you will stay loyal (in the sense of promises and stuff, not sexually, because i hate cheaters :p ) to him/her if they are uncertain.

It's just the authors are dragging this issue way too long.
Is it really that hard for them to talk about "Them"? They have plenty of time between the killings, why don't they talk about their feelings.
Because if they dare to make them a couple without bringing this issue up, then Takashi might as well be a badass zombie killer, he remains a wimp in life :p.

That aside, think about her dead boyfriend, a couple of hours after his death, she's already throwing herself on to her unfulfilled love. Now that is what i call TREASON !

-For the people that read or watch this manga, not only does she seem like a "bitch" to Takashi, who cares if he loves her,she said she loved him but went out with his friend.
-To her boyfriend too, 2 minutes after his dead, she seems to only vaguely remember him.
-To people around them, Cock blocker, every girl wants a piece of him but that girl only gets in the way :p.
-To us, her actions make us speechless.

F%ck Takashi grow some balls and confront her seriously ...

For the moment, it's not that i hate her :p, let's just say i dislike her, she gives me a sick feeling when i read the early chapters. She certainly isn't the most popular girl in the manga.

The word i was searching for was FRUSTRATION >,>

I think i addressed all the issues at hand :p, they're just highschool students in the end :p...

But for now I'm seriously on the Saeko Busujima  Team! :p
Sam... I hate that I still liked her lol xD

More topics from this board

» Is this back on hiatus again? ( 1 2 3 )

HollowIchigo58 - Aug 6, 2013

100 by Ugliz »»
Mar 24, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Chapter 30 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rookiestalker - Apr 9, 2013

85 by bakakisima »»
Dec 31, 2023 7:32 AM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Chapter 20 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 12, 2008

19 by maiestas_ »»
Aug 16, 2023 6:20 AM

» High School of the Dead is officially cancelled, according to the artist of the series.

deg - Dec 9, 2018

40 by JediPadawan2001 »»
Aug 5, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Highschool of the Dead Chapter 33 Discussion

Syureria - Sep 25, 2018

1 by Kiba_Senpai »»
Jul 7, 2023 3:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.