Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]
Jun 13, 2010 3:54 PM
Mar 2009
DxC3i said:

i also suggested to make it as separately load in ajax window.. if you want everything on anime list than sure it would put alot of load on server and thats why now we don't have the important feature SHOW ALL.

i just checked there are total 15 lines in one MORE Feature... if a user had 2000 entries.. first there will be load of 2000 lines for only entries.. then multiply 2000 with 15.. 2000 * 15= 30000 lines

i think thats why server get over load when someone check a big list..

I use the more feature a bit and consider it essential, but it definitely doesn't need to be loaded with the page. It should load separately only when a user clicks more for that title. I cant see someone selecting more for every entry, or even for more than a couple titles at a time. Most users apparently never even noticed the MORE option. Even if they are NULL entries, it still takes extra cycles to load all of MORE for each entry.

In all honesty, loading MORE separately and only when requested or during exports, would cut the load down to a mere fraction. Some people choose to show extra columns from more though in their list, but that's fine as well, especially if it is only loading that extra column for that one person.

This seems to be the best solution to the server load issues, though even if that wasn't enough, we've offered quite a few other solutions to aid in that if it wasn't enough. (granted, some people have been offering solutions to solve bandwidth issues, which doesn't seem to be the problem, but it never hurts to save bandwidth either and make the site ultra lean.)
Jun 13, 2010 3:57 PM

Feb 2008
Graygoose124 said:
Frankly, if you really wanted to clear up this lag, help the client, add a "No CSS" option for people with slow computers.

once again, this change had nothing to do with helping the client. it was to reduce the workload of the servers. and the option you're asking for already exists http://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences it is the very first option on this page.

not that I'm defending this change, personally I think this was an idiotic decision too. not because I don't understand the problem, but because I believe there were many better solutions to it. mainly the often mentioned "more" button, pagination after 200 entries without regard for category and/or various backend solutions for better database management.
Jun 13, 2010 3:58 PM

Oct 2009
jacobpaige said:

Lucjan said:
I'm having difficulty fully loading my lists background image.

your background is loading for me. did you try refreshing a few times?

It works for me now. Strange that it hadn't before.

Jun 13, 2010 4:05 PM

Oct 2009
jacobpaige said:
Graygoose124 said:
Frankly, if you really wanted to clear up this lag, help the client, add a "No CSS" option for people with slow computers.

once again, this change had nothing to do with helping the client. it was to reduce the workload of the servers. and the option you're asking for already exists http://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=listpreferences it is the very first option on this page.

not that I'm defending this change, personally I think this was an idiotic decision too. not because I don't understand the problem, but because I believe there were many better solutions to it. mainly the often mentioned "more" button, pagination after 200 entries without regard for category and/or various backend solutions for better database management.
I edited my post before I noticed this, here was my reply to that:
But for the server load, you are probably gathering the lists inefficiently, so you should work on your coding instead of taking the cheap route, sure it effects SQL lookup a bit, but it's not going to reduce actual server load much.
Anyways I figure I shouldn't be so worked up, but this was somewhat of an idiotic solution to the developers problem, but developers are usually idiots and inefficient morons. MAL is great site and all, but it's just like any other large site...Also, the "more"[being loaded when clicked on, not with page] idea is much better because it gives much more flexibility, users can have what they want, but wasted lookup time is decreased because what they don't need isn't loaded.

ferl said:
don't use it at all. :P If want to know/do more I just go to the anime page.
Graygoose124Jun 13, 2010 4:17 PM
Jun 13, 2010 4:23 PM
Mar 2009
Graygoose124 said:

The anime pages for each series have nothing to do with more really. More is for listing when you started watching/finished a series, how many times you have rewatched it, what form of media you have (VHS, DVD, on your hard drive), which fansub group you watched the series from, extra comments, etc, etc.

Most people don't use that (many users have even stated they never noticed the more link before it was mentioned here), they just put down if they are watching it, or completed it, what episode they are on, they rate it and maybe add some tags.
Jun 13, 2010 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
And we are already in a 30 pages long topic!
I guess it will hit 50+ by tomorrow
Jun 13, 2010 4:29 PM

Jan 2008
Well, I really like the "more"-button function. Using it almost anytime i visit my list. However i really wouldn't mind if it's made load on demand....there's no need for all those queries...

edit: ferl wrote, what i tried to say ;)
Thanks to everyone involved in making these fantastic events!

It was a lot of fun! Thank you! <3 *hugs*
Jun 13, 2010 4:33 PM
Sep 2009
I think that if it's a technical reason : "not over load the server"
The choice to remove the "Show all" Option and add the pagination is maybe the good way to do... in 1995, in the old version of internet...
Now, with the web 2.0 (ajax), we can get "Show All" option and limit the load of the server to get only 200 records :
1. When a user display his page, it's limited to 200 records (but with the option to get more records).
2. When the user click to get more record, the server only send the record left, so it's like a pagination (point of view server) and the "update" of the page update data in the grand total.

(maybe it wasn't clear for all because it's a little technical)

eum.. find a example of website do this ?
I think facebook do this (load just one part, and we can request to get another part etc..)
Jun 13, 2010 4:34 PM

Oct 2009
ferl said:
Graygoose124 said:

The anime pages for each series have nothing to do with more really. More is for listing when you started watching/finished a series, how many times you have rewatched it, what form of media you have (VHS, DVD, on your hard drive), which fansub group you watched the series from, extra comments, etc, etc.

Most people don't use that (many users have even stated they never noticed the more link before it was mentioned here), they just put down if they are watching it, or completed it, what episode they are on, they rate it and maybe add some tags.
Oh, that's what more does? well you CAN do that on the anime page, but I think it's fairly useless, I only rate and change the status.
Also what is this sh*t:
I have seen this before, but reloaded and fixed, now that the lists aren't so long, that no longer works. Pretty annoying, the contrast it creates in my eyes is too much, I hate white, it's too bright. It's an easy fix too...:( Oh well.
Graygoose124Jun 13, 2010 4:42 PM
Jun 13, 2010 4:51 PM
Jun 2009
DxC3i said:
Manabu said:
Sozen said:
DxC3i said:
there is no need for MORE details feature

Could also just go to the page for the anime to get that info, that's the point of it being there anyway.

I don't find when I started waching some anime in the anime page... and don't find practical to do so. And I do find the "MORE" an useful feature. I won't agree with it being removed because it makes no sense. It is the lazy/bad programmer solution, like this one. That is why I sugested it to be loaded only on demand.

i also suggested to make it as separately load in ajax window.. if you want everything on anime list than sure it would put alot of load on server and thats why now we don't have the important feature SHOW ALL.

i just checked there are total 15 lines in one MORE Feature... if a user had 2000 entries.. first there will be load of 2000 lines for only entries.. then multiply 2000 with 15.. 2000 * 15= 30000 lines

i think thats why server get over load when someone check a big list..

I was not really answering to you, but to other people that sugested cutting off the "useless" more. Well, you did it too, but then offered an better alternative. You in fact made more or less exactly the same sugestion as I had done: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=218454&show=360#msg8631823

That is also why I linked to the Show all club.
Jun 13, 2010 5:12 PM
Nov 2008
Graygoose124 said:
More than 200 entries would not bother the servers, this is a load of bullsh*t. 1000 entries is maybe 10kb, that's nothing, the picture alone is probably 20 times that.

This I slightly agree with.

My 200-something tries would probably be much, much smaller in size without such things as the more feature. Why? 226 completed entries with the more feature in pure unicode text form is 221KiBs, 108KiBs if ANSI. Without the more feature it could probably be 1/3 that.
Jun 13, 2010 5:17 PM

Aug 2009
Onibokusu said:
Graygoose124 said:
More than 200 entries would not bother the servers, this is a load of bullsh*t. 1000 entries is maybe 10kb, that's nothing, the picture alone is probably 20 times that.

This I slightly agree with.

My 200-something tries would probably be much, much smaller in size without such things as the more feature. Why? 226 completed entries with the more feature in pure unicode text form is 221KiBs, 108KiBs if ANSI. Without the more feature it could probably be 1/3 that.

Agreed. I don't even use any of the "more" functions .___.
Jun 13, 2010 5:22 PM

Jun 2007
Graygoose124 said:
jacobpaige said:
Graygoose124 said:

I edited my post before I noticed this, here was my reply to that:
But for the server load, you are probably gathering the lists inefficiently, so you should work on your coding instead of taking the cheap route, sure it effects SQL lookup a bit, but it's not going to reduce actual server load much.
Anyways I figure I shouldn't be so worked up, but this was somewhat of an idiotic solution to the developers problem, but developers are usually idiots and inefficient morons. MAL is great site and all, but it's just like any other large site...Also, the "more"[being loaded when clicked on, not with page] idea is much better because it gives much more flexibility, users can have what they want, but wasted lookup time is decreased because what they don't need isn't loaded.

ferl said:

You've never worked with mysql or php before have you? Xinil did 3 things wrong when he first released MAL to the public.
1) "Show all" was chosen as the default display for the lists.
2) No paging was added.
3) There was no Caching.

It really doesn't matter how amazing of a coder you are, the fact is a single server cant handle thousands of requests to display hundreds of anime listings every second. This was fine back when we only had a few hundred users on the site at a given time but now it's not so great.

Another thing Xinil could have done to address this issue would have been caching the lists and saving them as simple html files with ajax calls to display the "more" info. I'm not sure why he avoided this route but I'm sure he has his reasons. Regardless I think people need to think back a few months ago when we could not post on the forums or update our lists. This change will hopefully relieve some of that stress the server was going through.
Jun 13, 2010 5:23 PM

May 2010
Why doesn't the message "do you want to discuss the episode" pop up when I forward an episode (i.e. 1 -> 2) I checked my settings and it was all okay...
Jun 13, 2010 5:32 PM

Apr 2007
meh don't like it
Jun 13, 2010 5:35 PM

Apr 2008
I don't like it. Please change it back.
Jun 13, 2010 5:40 PM

Sep 2008
bring back "watching" and "on hold" on same page and I'm happy. That combination should not go over 200 for anyone :/

Oct 2009
@DeathfireD MAL is running off a SINGLE server? Holy shit, I did not know that. I have worked with MySQL for about 3 years so I don't know too much. Anyways, they still could have done much better than this. Although, in the end, I won't care as long as I get a list of my grand totals. I still think they were idiots for taking this route to try to fix it though.

Nov 2007
I preferred being able to see everything. And with the new view things seem glitchy when updating shows and I can't find a way to look at the rest of my list.
ExiledLifeJun 13, 2010 5:43 PM
"The Original ExiledLife"

Xfire=exiled4life

Jun 13, 2010 5:43 PM

Feb 2008
DeathfireD said:
Another thing Xinil could have done to address this issue would have been caching the lists and saving them as simple html files with ajax calls to display the "more" info. I'm not sure why he avoided this route but I'm sure he has his reasons. Regardless I think people need to think back a few months ago when we could not post on the forums or update our lists. This change will hopefully relieve some of that stress the server was going through.
I don't know why he didn't do those things, but until he says otherwise I'm going to assume that he was either being lazy or unimaginative.

as for the forum problem, its just as bad as it was before the update. honestly I'm not sure its not worse than before.

Graygoose124 said:
@DeathfireD MAL is running off a SINGLE server? Holy shit, I did not know that. I have worked with MySQL for about 3 years so I don't know too much. Anyways, they still could have done much better than this. Although, in the end, I won't care as long as I get a list of my grand totals. I still think they were idiots for taking this route to try to fix it though.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure MAL runs on multiple servers.
Jun 13, 2010 5:44 PM
Dec 2008
add an old donate button there so you can afford to run 2 servers then. I dont mind paying a bit of my hard earned cash for the creators hard work, that way we can all get the best of both worlds (options to show all or not, whatever you want)
Jun 13, 2010 5:55 PM

Feb 2008
cherryghost said:
add an old donate button there so you can afford to run 2 servers then. I dont mind paying a bit of my hard earned cash for the creators hard work, that way we can all get the best of both worlds (options to show all or not, whatever you want)
just click on more ads, it'll have much the same effect.

when I click the edit button on an entry the "close x" button at the top isn't there anymore. I can still exit out with ESC, but that's not stated anywhere.
Jun 13, 2010 5:59 PM
Nov 2008
Xinil is a web developer. Should he not have extensive knowledge in this area, should this not be his area of expertise?

The reason this "project" took months is probably due to laziness.
Jun 13, 2010 6:55 PM
Jul 2007
So that's where my list went...I was wondering if there was a bug or something. >_< Bleh.

I wish there was a "view all" sort of setting so the page is worth seeing...visiting my list to see 9 rows on a table is kind of depressing to look at.
Jun 13, 2010 6:58 PM

Nov 2007
I, for one, use the "more" button on my animelist. I use it to check when I last watched an ep. I'd like there to be that option for my mangalist, too -- to see when I last read a chapter. Other than that, I don't use the "more" function.

Anyway, like a million other people that have already commented, I would like the "Do you want to set this series as completed?" (or whatever) function back. Now I have to do it manually, and while I can live with that, I know I'm going to forget sometimes and it makes the whole process less efficient.
Jun 13, 2010 7:09 PM
Apr 2009
Yep, I don't like the list this way, i much preferred it when everything was shown on the same page.

ajax would be a much better solution imo.
Jun 13, 2010 7:12 PM

Sep 2008
Since there "[x] close" link has disappeared from the edit list entry box, things like this can happen pretty easily:
Jun 13, 2010 7:13 PM

Apr 2007
Okay, I'm really annoyed as to why the ONLY tab that shows up on my lists is the one that's ALREADY showing. I have no way to get to my "Currently watching/reading", "on-hold", "dropped", etc. lists. Is this some kind of bug error that still needs to be worked out or is this a script problem? Because it's really annoying that I can't even navigate properly through my list and have to resort to view list "edit" page, which UNLIKE the anime edit section, DOESN'T tell me what manga chapters I'm on for currently reading and on-hold series.

*edit*
Well, I guess it's okay if I change my manga list view as "reading" but I still can't get the manga chapters to stuff that I had put on-hold. Ugh, maybe I should go back to my hibernation mode from this site and just make my own excel sheet to keep track of stuff.
z-pakJun 13, 2010 7:18 PM
Jun 13, 2010 7:32 PM

May 2008
BakaOnna said:
Okay, I'm really annoyed as to why the ONLY tab that shows up on my lists is the one that's ALREADY showing. I have no way to get to my "Currently watching/reading", "on-hold", "dropped", etc. lists. Is this some kind of bug error that still needs to be worked out or is this a script problem? Because it's really annoying that I can't even navigate properly through my list and have to resort to view list "edit" page, which UNLIKE the anime edit section, DOESN'T tell me what manga chapters I'm on for currently reading and on-hold series.

*edit*
Well, I guess it's okay if I change my manga list view as "reading" but I still can't get the manga chapters to stuff that I had put on-hold. Ugh, maybe I should go back to my hibernation mode from this site and just make my own excel sheet to keep track of stuff.

Sounds like you need to edit the style sheet to allow the tabs for watching, planned, ongoing, and completed at the top.
Jun 13, 2010 7:52 PM

Jun 2009
I think it is better with the show all option so maybe if u want to add it back. Thanks!
Jun 13, 2010 7:58 PM

Feb 2010
It seems it's nearly unanimous that Show All is the way to go.

...why has it not been changed back? Don't you care about what your users think?
Jun 13, 2010 7:59 PM

Apr 2007
ChaoXide said:

Sounds like you need to edit the style sheet to allow the tabs for watching, planned, ongoing, and completed at the top.

Yeah, I don't really know what I did different from before but somehow I got the tabs to show up. Thanks anyway. This should make things easier.
Jun 13, 2010 8:00 PM

Nov 2008
It's a great pity that Show All is disabled =(

Credits for the av go to whispering-eden.livejournal.com =)
I used to be Dolce_Vitka here, but Vitka_Lynx is my nickname at alost all other sites, so I decided to take it here, too ^___^
Jun 13, 2010 8:00 PM
Jan 2008
yes, show all makes so much more sense...plz change it back
"Forged in darkness with wheat harvested from Hell's half acre. Baked by Beelzabub; slathered with mayonnaise beaten from the evil eggs of dark chickens, force-fed to dogs by the hands of a one-eyed madman. Cheese boiled from the rancid utters of fanged cows. Layered with 666 separate meats from an animal which has maggots for blood."
ATHF
Jun 13, 2010 8:05 PM
May 2010
Loved "Show All" option. Praying you guys will bring it back.
Jun 13, 2010 8:23 PM

Jun 2007
Graygoose124 said:

I haven't notice any news or chat from him on a new mysql server so I'm gonna guess he's still only using one. I know he has several web servers though. After the acquisition by crave he might have bought another mysql server and just didn't post any news about it but it's doubtful considering we've been seeing major database issues for over a year now.

@jacobpaige - I haven't noticed the forum issue for a while. It could be that I just happen to come on at good times when there's not a lot of people making requests on the database though :D.

I'm guessing the reason he didn't do caching is because he doesn't want to sacrifice CPU cycles and risk slowing the web servers down, which is laughable if you have more than one server. While it might seem bad to write thousands of lists to html files at first, in the long run it would reduce mysql requests and stress on the database while still allowing users to load their full lists on one page. He has a number of web servers so I don't see a reason why he wont do this. Distributing the load across the servers would greatly reduce the CPU use. Eh I'm sure that will be one of the next things he'll do down the road and people will bitch about their lists not being updated in real time anymore lol.
Jun 13, 2010 8:39 PM

Jan 2010
Another member asking "show all" to be returned.

I'm also having issues with simply increasing the count on the episodes watched. It doesn't ask me if I want to be directed to the episode's thread to discuss it as usual.

Plus when I finish an anime, I have to manually remove it to the "completed" box instead of it doing it automatically.

Please change it back....
Jun 13, 2010 8:43 PM

Oct 2009
Elric88 said:

Plus when I finish an anime, I have to manually remove it to the "completed" box instead of it doing it automatically.

This, biggest problem for me. Also have to manually move from plan to watch to watching. while i prefer show all i can deal with switching sections.
Jun 13, 2010 8:58 PM
Apr 2009
I think the load on the server lessens alot if you just make these the default options, but still make it so that ppl could change it back to the way it was if they prefer it like that.
listing all in one page was the thing that made me choose this over other similar services, now im in confusion and i might even hit myself.
Jun 13, 2010 9:15 PM

Feb 2009
Haven't read through all 34 pages, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents.

I really liked being able to see all of my entries on one page. If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired. This would also prevent some redundant reloading of entries in the current implementation, because instead of constantly reloading entries by going back and forth between categories, the entries are only loaded once per view.

Now I don't know a lot about SQL servers, but if the problem is just people loading their 500+ entry completed list every time they want to see their 20 entry watching list then the above solution seems like the best compromise to me.
ಠ_ಠ
Jun 13, 2010 9:46 PM

Mar 2010
Unfortunately, I agree with everyone above me. (That being the 34 pages of complaints) ^(-.-)^. I'd prefer to see my grand totals,
Jun 13, 2010 10:06 PM

Jan 2010
mikewando said:
I really liked being able to see all of my entries on one page. If the problem is simply loading too many entries every list view, then it seems like an alteration to the "show all" option should be implemented where the categories start as "hidden/unexpanded" and then can be clicked to "expand" a category (show first 200, then click to show more). This would reduce the number of entries loaded per list view because only the categories that the user was interested in would be loaded on expanding, but it would still allow the entire list to be displayed on one page if the user desired. This would also prevent some redundant reloading of entries in the current implementation, because instead of constantly reloading entries by going back and forth between categories, the entries are only loaded once per view.

This is a great suggestion.

This site is called MyAnimeList yet too much constraints are being put on the lists. At the very least, I want to be able to view all my entries in one page.
Jun 13, 2010 10:13 PM
Overlord

Nov 2004
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (13) « First ... « 11 12 [13]

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

218 by httplatte »»
Yesterday, 4:04 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.