Forum Settings
Forums

If you have seen Kino's Journey, you are my brother.

New
May 23, 9:08 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Well that would apply if I have seen Kino's Journey but I sadly have not (now I want too though)! This will make sense in due time but indulge me in an exposition dump for the moment.

Kenny Lauderdale is anime aficionado with a penchant for all things retro. Think of basking in the glow of a CRT in the wee hours of the night, watching your copy of Vampire Hunter D on VHS for the thirtieth time, the faint sound of the gears turning and the analogue film being fed. That's the kinda vibe I'm talking about. I'm entirely unsure how I stumbled on Kenny, probably algorithm related, but his YouTube is full of curated video essays on deep cut retro anime that I have never heard of.

Now that the exposition is over, time for the point of this thread. Kenny made this interesting post a few days ago:

My question for discussion is, what show is your Kino's Journey? What show has you saying "If you have seen *this anime*, you are my brother (or sister!)".

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 23, 11:49 PM

May 2021
Well the young lad has been in the laboratory cooking up. /salute

My question for discussion is, what show is your Kino's Journey? What show has you saying "If you have seen *this anime*, you are my brother (or sister!)"

I want to preface my answer to this amazing question with I have a joke answer and a real answer. I wanna lead off with my joke answer because it is so stupidly ridiculous that I just have to laugh.

Kawaikereba Hentai demo Suki ni Natte Kuremasu ka? AKA Hensuki: Are you willing to Fall in Love with a Pervert, as long as she's a Cutie?

Truly only other mad lads who are capable of watching the trashiest anime out are seeing eye to eye with me on this anime. With its colossal 6.48 MAL score, this show has found its way to be one of my "OMG this person has actually seen Hensuki LOL!" type of anime. This is by no means an endorsement for the show, it is quite trashy, however it's worth mentioning that the only other people I've seen with this on their list tend to have a taste in line with mine. XD (This may be a self report but I assure you my taste isn't that bad!)

Okay onto the real deal. I had to spend some time thinking clearly about what anime I find to be the most in line with who I am as a person. It's actually quite hard to pick just one, and I realize that I'm being annoying but I have more than one. I'm also self aware enough to recognize that I haven't watched all of the anime that I truly want to watch. There is probably another anime or two out there that I resonate with on a similar level. --->

Funny enough our secretary chief of badassery already mentioned Lain in the OP. This show transcends a lot of things for me in the medium. It's also the only show that I have written a multiple page analysis on lol. Airing in the same year I was born (1998), I find that Serial Experiments Lain resonates with me on a level that almost no other anime has been able to.

Throughout my entire life I have struggled with the idea of self, whether that be what I want to do when I grow up, or what kind of person I want to be. Depression and escapism have been big issues that I've spent years trying to deal with. SEL took all of those feelings and portrayed it in a beautiful 13 layer story that I hold dear to my heart. I have nothing but a burning passion and drive to unravel every second of this show. Making it my first choice for "If you have seen this anime you are my sibling". β™‘

+

The link provided for this is a fan-made WordPress by a community GOAT named Edomonogatari. He has been a huge proponent in delivering translated versions of the series light novels, interviews, and more. This website is hosted for those who are interested in diving into the series.

Perhaps this is an obvious for those of you who know me, but this series of anime is my all time favorite story to date. Absolutely stunning animation, beautiful character designs, incredible writing, absolutely killer sound stage, immaculate voice acting, there is not one thing in specific that I can say is my favorite about this series. Monogatari has an extremely unique charm that I have fallen in love with over the years. It's also extremely unapproachable, which makes it a common drop or skip for many viewers. Almost perfect for my Kino's Journey equivalent though it is a bit more popular. I will never not be in the mood to discuss this show and its depths. Simply one of my favorite anime series of all time. If you have seen this series in its entirety you are my sibling. ^_^

+ SIDE CONTENT: The Best AMV I Have Ever Seen! +

Thanks for making such a great thread! I had a blast typing this up. I hope I was able to shine a small light on the anime that I hold close to my heart. I truly look forward to seeing what everyone's Kino's Journey is. Cheers! β™‘
May 24, 12:57 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Thank you for the absolute banger reply!!

Horizon248 said:
Truly only other mad lads who are capable of watching the trashiest anime out are seeing eye to eye with me on this anime.

I love this so much. I want to watch it now since you are bringing it up! I have similar anime to this that I have seen as I have mentioned: Violence Jack and M.D. Geist to name a couple. They are just so bad, so utterly absurd, but dammit I LOVE them.

Most Dangerous Geist BITCH

And you don't seem to understand...

Horizon248 said:
Funny enough our secretary chief of badassery already mentioned Lain in the OP. This show transcends a lot of things for me in the medium. It's also the only show that I have written a multiple page analysis on lol. Airing in the same year I was born (1998), I find that Serial Experiments Lain resonates with me on a level that almost no other anime has been able to.

So, I'm pretty sure Lain is my answer to the question as well. Quite literally, if you get down with Lain then we can hang out. It says so much about who you are as a person if you have even watched a show like Lain, furthermore enjoyed it. I have had a few days to think about what my Kino's Journey would be and kept coming back to Lain. Sure there are my favorites, like Bebop, but it is so popular that it doesn't intrinsically set you apart from the masses just because you have seen it. I will still love you if you have seen it regardless! Lain though is the perfect balance of obscure but not insanely unapproachable. You are just 100% going to have individual qualities that I value in friendships if Lain is something you get down with.

Fly me to the music...

Equally as Lain, RahXephon WITHOUT QUESTION would have me calling you my sibling. It meets all the criteria I mentioned for Lain. Perhaps even more so because it is becoming increasingly obscure (but not so obscure that it is unapproachable by many). RahXephon is additionally mired in musical motifs and metaphors much like Wantanabe tends to theme his works around. This anime shaped me as a human being and my interests. Truly, it was that formative. Watching this show feels like a dream. It's the only way I can describe it.

Horizon248 said:
+ SIDE CONTENT: The Best AMV I Have Ever Seen! +

This is fucking amazing. Saved to my Horizons playlist. Also I love how they snuck Me Me Me in there!

May 24, 9:51 PM

May 2021
Do I even need to say my obvious answer?
*Spoilers for Drum Island and Water 7 arcs*
Once you cry over a boat you are my brother.
Once you hear the words of a quack doctor you are my brother
Once you hear the first time someone declares their will to live you are my brother

My actual answer is technically not even an anime even though it was made by Toei

My favorite Daft Punk album if not my favorite album of all time with hits like Voyager, Veridis Quo, Face to Face, High Life and Crescendolls. Plus an amazing animation studio that has forever made its name in anime history with shows like Dragon Ball, Yuβ˜†Giβ˜†Oh!, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, and Sailor Moon.

If you have watched it you know what I mean when I say you cant tell if the animation was made for the music or the music was made for the animation because it all fits SO WELL. Every song and the vibe from them lines up PERFECTLY and I mean EXACTLY how the scene is going. Not a single line of dialog is said in this movie and it DOES NOT need it at all, the music does all of the talking you need.

Directed by Leiji Matsumoto who has created Galaxy Express 999 (@cinebitch) and the Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato series, I dont think anyone else was as perfect of a fit for this film than him. As a master of the space opera genre he perfectly translated the music into animations and showed every emotion from anger to sadness and everything in-between with no words spoken.

If I ever meet someone and they tell me they have watched Interstella 5555 I instantly want to become friends with them no questions asked.
If you want to be my brother I encourage you to watch it. I made a playlist on YouTube that has the entire movie in order for your enjoyment :)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgdQKFhhwCB23kQa7quYcA1z4Ic2Hy-tD&si=IRpsW6q4830AJu14
May 25, 5:27 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Tommy-Pickles said:
Do I even need to say my obvious answer?
*Spoilers for Drum Island and Water 7 arcs*
Once you cry over a boat you are my brother.
Once you hear the words of a quack doctor you are my brother
Once you hear the first time someone declares their will to live you are my brother

I watched them all and holy hell I can feel the boat scene; 300 episodes in worth of memories is brutal. ^^;

Tommy-Pickles said:
If you want to be my brother I encourage you to watch it. I made a playlist on YouTube that has the entire movie in order for your enjoyment :)
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgdQKFhhwCB23kQa7quYcA1z4Ic2Hy-tD&si=IRpsW6q4830AJu14

Yeah, I just watched. Yeah, it fucking ruled. Like, holy hell. I'm obsessed. A new life-changing notch in my psyche. Thank you for the playlist!!

You know I have seen the videos around in the past but I never made the connection it was a whole thing. In passing I just thought it was a cool one-off thing or something.

But man, it kinda reminded me of silent films and how they are accompanied by live music when you see them in theater. The actual film is essentially silent with Daft Punk just absolutely ripping such a monumental album over it. The story and animation is actually just a 10/10. The whole concept of the band being abducted, memories wiped and appearance changed was so crazy. I love the Daft Punk cameo at the award show as well! The character designs man. Stella is FUCKING HOT. Leiji Matsumoto is just an absolute god, especially with drawing women.

I recommend what I have seen as far as inspirations of Leiji Matsumoto's work. The Galaxy Railways is an alternative setting to Galaxy Express 999 and a stand alone story. Another one is 009-1. No relation aside from art and aesthetic similarities; a femme fatale assassin story set during the cold war and I am very fond of it. I have always wanted to delve more into Matsumoto's work but I am still such a noob. ^^;

Can't thank you enough for this. Fucking amazing.

+ SIDE NOTE - They are showing a new 4k remaster at Tribeca in June. Fingers crossed for a physical / digital release! +

May 25, 8:24 PM

May 2021
divlyfein said:
I watched them all and holy hell I can feel the boat scene; 300 episodes in worth of memories is brutal. ^^;

Just looking up those three scenes made me cry again. You are right, when you have watched 300 episodes and that boat has been its own character basically you get just as sad as if it were a main character dying. Because it was a main character dying.

divlyfein said:
it kinda reminded me of silent films and how they are accompanied by live music when you see them in theater. The actual film is essentially silent with Daft Punk just absolutely ripping such a monumental album over it.

YES EXACTLY!!! I never knew how people could watch silent films until I experienced this masterpiece. Now I get it.

divlyfein said:
The whole concept of the band being abducted, memories wiped and appearance changed was so crazy. I love the Daft Punk cameo at the award show as well!

The daft punk cameo was a fine touch for sure. I loved also how in Veridis Quo they added (to my guesses) Mozart, Miles Davis, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Nicks, and Jimmy Page as more aliens the main villain abducted and turned into musicians.

divlyfein said:
I recommend what I have seen as far as inspirations of Leiji Matsumoto's work. The Galaxy Railways is an alternative setting to Galaxy Express 999 and a stand alone story. Another one is 009-1.

Wait a minute these sounds GAS. A world where the cold war is still going on AND it has cyborg bitches? Sign me up. And who can hate on some god damn space trains with a STACKED voice crew. You have Koyasu, Takehito Who is Dio, Zeke, and Touji. Ootsuka, Akio who is Kyouraku, Yuujirou Hanma, Toshimi Konakawa (from Paprika). Tanaka, Atsuko who voices THE Major Kusanagi. And Inoue, Kazuhiko who voices a small character in Naruto, MOTHER FUCKING KAKASHI SENPAI.

divlyfein said:
+ SIDE NOTE - They are showing a new 4k remaster at Tribeca in June. Fingers crossed for a physical / digital release! +

So whos trying to go New York next month?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » MAL Badge Announcements

Anime-Book-Club - Feb 8

30 by Horizon248 »»
7 hours ago

» Fantasy Anime League ~ Fall 2024

Horizon248 - Sep 15

1 by divlyfein »»
Sep 22, 6:28 PM

Sticky: » Anime/Manga Reviews!

Horizon248 - Jul 10

5 by divlyfein »»
Sep 22, 6:11 PM

» Birthdays!

Tommy-Pickles - Apr 15

7 by divlyfein »»
Sep 17, 5:00 PM

» AMV SHARE

divlyfein - May 28

32 by UNHOLYCANOE »»
Sep 15, 10:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.