Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 3, 4:34 AM
Oct 2020
Do i need to see every season of the anime to watch this?
May 3, 4:44 AM
Nov 2014
No, this is the last match and the protagonist it's different from the main series, also you will get flashbacks about that character to understand what he's been through. The movie is 10/10.
May 3, 5:02 AM
Nov 2021
i think it's a sequel, but it isn't necessary to watch all the anime to understand the movie, I only watched the movie and I love it
May 3, 7:23 AM
THE KING OF D
Feb 2018
Chinaz said:
No, this is the last match and the protagonist it's different from the main series, also you will get flashbacks about that character to understand what he's been through. The movie is 10/10.

This is the correct answer!!

The movie is made in such a way that you can watch it without having seen any of the anime or read any of the manga.

It has switched the focus to another person on the team, giving him an original backstory that neither the anime or manga had.

The anime never animated up to this point of the manga so the match (the final match in the manga) is technically a spoiler but the movie has a new ending so the full manga ending is not spoiled.
BennyawesomeMay 3, 8:11 AM
May 3, 9:17 AM
Sep 2016
Yes, it is a sequel to the series. You'll be missing out on a lot of context if you start here, but you can still do it, test the waters.
May 3, 4:16 PM
May 2020
Do not listen to people telling you this is a sequel. This is a standalone film that adapts the ending of the manga. You will not miss out on anything if you watch it first, I’d argue the way the presentation obfuscates the match’s stakes means it’s better if you haven’t seen the show.

Just watch this first.
May 4, 1:51 PM
Dec 2015
This movie is a standalone thing. Focuses on a single match, while telling the backstory of a character completely seperate from the MC of the main series.

It is worth watching. It's genuinely really well made.

More topics from this board

Poll: » The First Slam Dunk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WeAllShineOn - Dec 3, 2022

69 by Sun_Chan »»
May 13, 9:06 PM

» Do you think more anime should be directed by the mangaka?

APolygons2 - May 8

6 by Otaku_4511 »»
May 10, 5:21 AM

» Blu-Ray when?

HusaynTV - Aug 14, 2023

9 by leftjoycon »»
Apr 2, 9:56 PM

» 『THE FIRST SLAM DUNK』Movie Blu-ray/DVD LIMITED EDITION + Standard Edition sold 234,764 copies in its first week

deg - Mar 5

5 by Otaku_4511 »»
Mar 14, 8:48 AM

» Never watched slam dunk

SakataGintoki420 - Jun 18, 2023

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 28, 2023 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.