Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 7:51 AM
Apr 2020
Been watching this since it came out and I've got to say I'm very confused with all the characters, I'm confused in the sense that I'm not sure which characters are from the same old masters or what not? Plus how can some be siblings with the others and some not be??

Can someone help me as Wiki isn't giving me much help in the sense of who served who together when they were swords.
aloistrancy351Apr 29, 9:04 AM
Apr 30, 3:20 PM

Jul 2013
Ohh, this is a difficult question, but I'll try to help. Beware - it's going to be long.

For the sibling part - it usually refers to swords which were made by the same bladesmith. They usually have similar motifs in their clothes, for example - in the anime you can see Yagen and Atsushi, who were made by Toushirou Yoshimitsu (which is why they are called Toushirou, and most of the swords made by him bear his name). All these tantous refers to each other as siblings (we have Ichigo Hitofuri as well, and since he's a tachi, he's like an "older" brother). Toushirou Yoshimitsu was a part of the Awataguchi school, so Nakigitsune, despite actually being made by Yoshimitsu's father, is also considered a relative to the Toushirou swords, and his clothes are also in line with the Toushirou's design.

As for the old masters, it’s super difficult to explain in detail regarding each sword because some swords passed multiple hands and were owned by different people, not to mention how some of the records are not completely reliable. Oda Nobunaga was a collector of Mitsutada’s swords, was Shokudaikiri Mitsutada a sword in his collection? We can’t say for certain 🤷‍♀️. The line is veryyy blurred here, as mentioned before for Shokudaikiri - he was a sword of Date Masamune, and usually for his Date group we have Taikogane Sadamune (also owned by Date Masamune at some point in his life), Ookurikara (which might’ve been owned by Date Masamune’s son and not he himself), and Tsurumaru Kuninaga (which joined the Date clan much, much later). Some grouping aren't solely based on the same old owner, but also a faction - a good example would be the Shinsengumi swords, which were owned by memebers of the Shinsengumi and thus are familiar with each other < I'm not going to name them here because it'll turn out to be a long list and I don't think anyone wanna read that lol.

Honestly, understanding that really requires knowing the history of the certain sword, unfortunately, and also understanding the mindset of the creators since, again, some ownerships are based on rumors and speculations. The amount of characters doesn't help at all because you'd have characters being in quite a few groups, all depends on who made them or who owned them :,)

However, for this series it seems the focus is on the Oda Nobunaga's swords, which would be Yagen Toushirou, Heshikiri Hasebe, Souza Samonji and Yukimitsu Fudou. Oda Nobunaga is usually depicted as a questionable figure in tourabu (and some media in general, I guess, depends on what you consume), so most of the swords aren't very fond of him or want to talk about him.

I've added links for the characters that aren't the main focus of the anime so hopefully it won't be too confusing. If you do have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I don't want to ramble too much lol, but I still somewhat remember the relationships between the characters that were released up until 2018, that's when I stopped following the game altogether.
Apr 30, 3:26 PM
Apr 2020
Reply to eirian_j
Ohh, this is a difficult question, but I'll try to help. Beware - it's going to be long.

For the sibling part - it usually refers to swords which were made by the same bladesmith. They usually have similar motifs in their clothes, for example - in the anime you can see Yagen and Atsushi, who were made by Toushirou Yoshimitsu (which is why they are called Toushirou, and most of the swords made by him bear his name). All these tantous refers to each other as siblings (we have Ichigo Hitofuri as well, and since he's a tachi, he's like an "older" brother). Toushirou Yoshimitsu was a part of the Awataguchi school, so Nakigitsune, despite actually being made by Yoshimitsu's father, is also considered a relative to the Toushirou swords, and his clothes are also in line with the Toushirou's design.

As for the old masters, it’s super difficult to explain in detail regarding each sword because some swords passed multiple hands and were owned by different people, not to mention how some of the records are not completely reliable. Oda Nobunaga was a collector of Mitsutada’s swords, was Shokudaikiri Mitsutada a sword in his collection? We can’t say for certain 🤷‍♀️. The line is veryyy blurred here, as mentioned before for Shokudaikiri - he was a sword of Date Masamune, and usually for his Date group we have Taikogane Sadamune (also owned by Date Masamune at some point in his life), Ookurikara (which might’ve been owned by Date Masamune’s son and not he himself), and Tsurumaru Kuninaga (which joined the Date clan much, much later). Some grouping aren't solely based on the same old owner, but also a faction - a good example would be the Shinsengumi swords, which were owned by memebers of the Shinsengumi and thus are familiar with each other < I'm not going to name them here because it'll turn out to be a long list and I don't think anyone wanna read that lol.

Honestly, understanding that really requires knowing the history of the certain sword, unfortunately, and also understanding the mindset of the creators since, again, some ownerships are based on rumors and speculations. The amount of characters doesn't help at all because you'd have characters being in quite a few groups, all depends on who made them or who owned them :,)

However, for this series it seems the focus is on the Oda Nobunaga's swords, which would be Yagen Toushirou, Heshikiri Hasebe, Souza Samonji and Yukimitsu Fudou. Oda Nobunaga is usually depicted as a questionable figure in tourabu (and some media in general, I guess, depends on what you consume), so most of the swords aren't very fond of him or want to talk about him.

I've added links for the characters that aren't the main focus of the anime so hopefully it won't be too confusing. If you do have any specific questions, feel free to ask. I don't want to ramble too much lol, but I still somewhat remember the relationships between the characters that were released up until 2018, that's when I stopped following the game altogether.
@eirian_j Thanks for replying to me. I understand what you mean that the connections are too complicated.

I do know that Souza Samonji has two brothers which is why its slightly more confusing when you've got different sibling groups and different sword owner bonds if you get what I mean by that.
Apr 30, 3:32 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to aloistrancy351
@eirian_j Thanks for replying to me. I understand what you mean that the connections are too complicated.

I do know that Souza Samonji has two brothers which is why its slightly more confusing when you've got different sibling groups and different sword owner bonds if you get what I mean by that.
@aloistrancy351 Definitely. You could think of all the Oda swords as “comrades” or friends, and each of them have their own family with their own cliques. Some swords hang out with their siblings more, some so with their friends (but it has more to do with the fact that their families were yet to be released in game lol)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14

2 by winddevil1 »»
Yesterday, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 23

4 by winddevil1 »»
May 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7

1 by phantomfandom »»
May 7, 9:41 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 2

21 by Mr_Nuts »»
May 4, 7:12 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu Kai: Kyoden Moyuru Honnouji Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 30

0 by Stark700 »»
Apr 30, 7:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.