Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 24, 10:26 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Reckless_weeb
The_Keyman-1 said:
It's a power fantasy so you should already know what type of people like this. Good writing is definitely not one of the reason since it doesn't exist here.

I've no problem with what type of show it is whatsoever...... I've a problem with the fanbase claiming it's as something groundbreaking.
@Reckless_weeb It was actually groundbreaking, in a sense that it was the first Korean power fantasy that became popular and made the genre of power fantasy becoming popular in Korea. I have never seen anyone claiming it having a groundbreaking story, or a complex plot. Plot is simple, man becomes OP, he wrecks noobs while looking cool af, that's it. This isn't a drama, there's no need for complex story.
Mar 24, 10:35 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Reckless_weeb
FaultyMoon said:
Reckless_weeb said:

Great at what??
Character writing?
Character development?
Plot?
Mystery?
World building?

Literally everything is avg or below avg

those are all story elements

So it's great at what?
I can't think of anything but animation, music and action.

And we've better shows in terms of these elements.
@Reckless_weeb Art (animation for anime). Action. Most importantly, hyped moments. Hyped moments are the only thing that matters for this "power fantasy" genre.

You don't look for crazy story or character development in a power fantasy. This is like criticizing Slice of Life for having no action and simple story. I wanna see you criticizing Bocchi the Rock now for having a simple story and no action lol.

MrJ588Mar 24, 10:40 PM
Mar 24, 10:44 PM
Jul 2021
MrJ588 said:
@Reckless_weeb Art (animation for anime). Action. Most importantly, hyped moments. Hyped moments are the only thing that matters for this "power fantasy" genre.

You don't look for crazy story or character development in a power fantasy. This is like criticizing Slice of Life for having no action and simple story. I wanna see you criticizing Bocchi the Rock now for having a simple story and no action lol.

Haven't seen bocchi.
Also if only for action, then we've much better anime with better stories and character.
Mar 24, 10:58 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to MyllerPhiem
@deg "It's supposed to be bad, so don't criticize it, bruh"
@MyllerPhiem SL's story isn't bad, it's just generic and simple. Each genre has its own characteristics. You wouldn't criticize Slice of Life for having a simple story now, would you? The genre of "Power fantasy" doesn't focus on the story, the main thing that matters to that genre is the hype moments. So a complex story is not required, it is ok for a "power fantasy" to have a generic or simple story, as long as the hype moments are good. For the same reason, no one expects SoL like Yuru Camp or Bocchi to have a complex story.

Mar 24, 11:04 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Reckless_weeb
MrJ588 said:

Haven't seen bocchi.
Also if only for action, then we've much better anime with better stories and character.
@Reckless_weeb
Yeah if you want a complex story, don't watch Bocchi lol. Or any SoL. That genre doesn't typically have complex stories.

No, not action. Action is only a plus. As I said very clearly, "hype moments". The genre of "Power fantasy" is all about the hype moments of the overpowered protagonist doing something cool. That's the most important thing. "Hype moments" for a power fantasy is like story for a drama, action for a shounen, and moe girls for a CGDCT.

Mar 24, 11:36 PM

Oct 2021
Indeed, there's nothing peak in SL
Mar 25, 1:47 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MrJ588
@MyllerPhiem SL's story isn't bad, it's just generic and simple. Each genre has its own characteristics. You wouldn't criticize Slice of Life for having a simple story now, would you? The genre of "Power fantasy" doesn't focus on the story, the main thing that matters to that genre is the hype moments. So a complex story is not required, it is ok for a "power fantasy" to have a generic or simple story, as long as the hype moments are good. For the same reason, no one expects SoL like Yuru Camp or Bocchi to have a complex story.

@MrJ588 A "power fantasy" anime can have an interesting story, too, though. See "Redo of Healer".
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Mar 25, 3:30 AM
Apr 2022
Reckless_weeb said:
I mean this 🥸🥸🥸

So what's wrong with it.
Mar 25, 9:35 AM

Aug 2019
Reply to Reckless_weeb
The_Keyman-1 said:
It's a power fantasy so you should already know what type of people like this. Good writing is definitely not one of the reason since it doesn't exist here.

I've no problem with what type of show it is whatsoever...... I've a problem with the fanbase claiming it's as something groundbreaking.
@Reckless_weeb That is exactly what I've been thinking lmao with how much hype this got back in January I was expecting something groundbreaking, and everyone seemed to think it was ground breaking, but I really don't see it. Like yeah you know everyone can have their own opinions and likes and dislikes, but I personally don't get the hype behind this show. I went in completely blind, expecting something a bit more, and now we're at episode 11 and I still don't get this show. This show is pure spectacle and mindless action, and there's nothing wrong with that but what is it with the fanbase blowing it way out of proportion and getting on anyone's case because they said something even slightly negative about it? Like seriously no one can say anything even slightly negative about this show. I've seen people get mad because this random dude was enjoying another show from this season more than Solo Leveling. Like what?
Mar 25, 12:37 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to MyllerPhiem
@MrJ588 A "power fantasy" anime can have an interesting story, too, though. See "Redo of Healer".
@MyllerPhiem Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha.
Mar 25, 1:05 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Alkimia
@Reckless_weeb That is exactly what I've been thinking lmao with how much hype this got back in January I was expecting something groundbreaking, and everyone seemed to think it was ground breaking, but I really don't see it. Like yeah you know everyone can have their own opinions and likes and dislikes, but I personally don't get the hype behind this show. I went in completely blind, expecting something a bit more, and now we're at episode 11 and I still don't get this show. This show is pure spectacle and mindless action, and there's nothing wrong with that but what is it with the fanbase blowing it way out of proportion and getting on anyone's case because they said something even slightly negative about it? Like seriously no one can say anything even slightly negative about this show. I've seen people get mad because this random dude was enjoying another show from this season more than Solo Leveling. Like what?
@Alkimia I read the manhwa, my opinion of the anime is mixed. It elevates the source material in some senses, but falls short in others. In the manhwa, things are constantly hyped up, you can feel the pressure and tension in almost every single page, and there's very little downtime. The hype train is constantly on the move and there's really nothing that tries to slow it down. The anime however, moves at a much slower pace. It spends way more time on building the world and side characters, as a result, we have a big gap between hype moments, and the weirdest thing of all, when things are about to get hyped, the anime always cuts to another scene of Chairman Go Gun-Hee trying to explain some random craps. Like the anime is treating the audience as filthy casuals who don't know what a dungeon is, and keeps explaining it over and over. I would love some "show don't tell" that respects the audience's intelligence here.

I feel like the anime is trying to cater to the casual audience by doing things like world building and developing side characters, trying to mitigate the main complaints of SL manhwa. It has upside, certain things make more sense, like why Joo-Hee decides to quit (when reading the manga, I just assumed that she's just a chicken, now it makes more sense that she is suffering from serious PTSD). However, I feel like they should have just embraced the core DNA of power fantasy and screw the haters who want world building and freaking side character, like fully embracing the meme of the OP instead of trying to cater to people like him who wants world building or some shit. So the manhwa was indeed groundbreaking, I don't think the anime is though. It is a decent adaptation, that's about it.

It has some really well done hype moment like the fight in episode 6 which goes far beyond the source material, however there isn't enough of it imo.

I think A-1 chose the wrong people to make this. Maybe the GOAT Ishii Toshimasa would have directed it better?
MrJ588Mar 25, 1:09 PM
Mar 25, 1:32 PM

Jul 2023
I still think it is a terrible pity that the artist responsible for the manhwa adaptation died shortly after the manhwa had finished. He will not share in any of the commercial success of the anime adaptation. That said, the story is very much an average power-fantasy kind of tale where once you start reading you are essentially taking an escalator to the top floor of a skyscraper. I believe that the anime is actually doing a stand-up job adapting the material and think that, for the medium, the composition is great at this point in time. There have been some rough cuts and whatnot, but it is still above an average seasonal release in terms of production quality.
Mar 25, 11:35 PM

Aug 2012
Eh, I think it's a pretty fun watch, but mostly for the art and fight scenes. No idea how it got such a huge score since the story isn't deep at all and none of the characters are remotely interesting.
Mar 26, 2:42 AM

Jan 2021
this just lowkey giving people what they want, there isn't much depth to it
Mar 27, 6:05 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to _otaku_man00
Reckless_weeb said:
_otaku_man00 said:

you just read 45 and saying all bullshit, go read omniscient readers view point until 150 character there is nothing going on and everyone say it has one of the best side characters and world building.

No need, all my friends who have read said it's the same. No other characters except the MC get any development or plot importance.

i don't know how/why you guys read manhwa but i read for enjoyment , I read many manhwas/manga/manhwas ,so you don't have to tell me, i like solo leveling because of how simple and how perfect they have shown, i literally enjoyed soo much and for me it's 10/10, if a gives me enjoyment then i will rate it with how much I enjoy and if a show doesn't give me enjoyment then i will rate it with considering its good points. i have never gave a show rating below 6 except rent a gf manga , and i gave 10/10 for shows like eminence in shadow, high school dxd , redo of helar because I enjoyed it , i doesn't matter how generic it is for me how they present that is important, there are great shows like aot , death note , code gesis ,etc that 10/10 ,i really enjoyed them too,
in terms of manhwa omniscient readers view point considered as best story / side characters/ and word building, i read it until 150 chapters ,at the beginning it was good but later it was boring, and i really didn't like it , so i gave 8 /10 because of art and some other aspects,

solo leveling may be generic with its world building,side characters but it's interesting compared to other manhwas , for me it's 10/10, anime is covering so of its faults yet there guys only came to criticise for no reason,
@_otaku_man00 i don't know about redo of healer or highschool dxd because i don't watch them yet, but Eminence in shadow is a good show and definitely better than solo leveling overall, and it's a power fantasy who give you more than just OP cool protagonist. There OPM too and Overlord. Solo leveling is just about cool looking shadow guy...that all. Sl fans who said that power fantasy can't give you more than just OP MC is just an excuse lol.
Mar 27, 6:17 AM
Jun 2023
Bluetenkai said:
@_otaku_man00 i don't know about redo of healer or highschool dxd because i don't watch them yet, but Eminence in shadow is a good show and definitely better than solo leveling overall, and it's a power fantasy who give you more than just OP cool protagonist. There OPM too and Overlord. Solo leveling is just about cool looking shadow guy...that all. Sl fans who said that power fantasy can't give you more than just OP MC is just an excuse lol.

why do you think solo leveling is the most popular manhwa???? there must be a reason, and you don't know that reason because you are a hater.
Mar 27, 9:02 AM
Nov 2023
Is Dragon Ball Z beloved because of its thought provoking narrative and nuanced characters?
Mar 27, 10:48 AM

Feb 2022
I have read both, novel and manhwa, for manhwa only good at art, the rest is just generic.

for novel, there's nothing good about the story, but I quite enjoyed it

After Jeju Arc, uh the story gets worse and Jinwoo is a character who is too stagnant until chapter 179.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Solo Leveling's Hype

Arminken - 3 hours ago

7 by Pendragon572 »»
36 minutes ago

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yuyuichi - Mar 30

357 by Skippu__ »»
Yesterday, 2:08 PM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

254 by lasodamos »»
Yesterday, 12:44 PM

» Solo Leveling Anime Records Surprisingly Poor Sales ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 7

53 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 24, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Ore dake Level Up na Ken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

297 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 23, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.