Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 22, 7:03 PM
Apr 2022
I see that people always praise the pre-timeskip era of One Piece so much that they stop watching the anime after the timeskip. So why was the pre-timeskip era so beloved by fans?
Mar 22, 7:29 PM
Mar 2021
Character-defining moments for the crew and many of the side characters combined with a much more gritty art style to enhance the impact.

I love the post Time skip but nothing comes close to "I want to live", "Nothing Happened", "Luffy, Help me", "A man dies when he is forgotten". I could list moments forever.

I won't go too far into every reason people prefer the pre-timeskip but that'd be my best guess.
Mar 22, 9:10 PM
Oct 2022
ngl most of it might just be nostalgia cause im on whole cake island rn and the pre time skip and the post time skip both are GOATED
Mar 22, 9:28 PM
Jan 2024
not really tho post time skip is better ,pretimeskip tho has most memorable moments
Mar 22, 9:46 PM
May 2021
maybe bcz of pacing was actually bearable before time skip
Mar 22, 10:21 PM
Jul 2009
Good pacing, character building moments, etc. Also it's totally nostalgic now 😅❤️
Mar 22, 11:11 PM

Aug 2019
Because pre-TS is objectively better? Most fans agree, and the reasons for that are quite obvious; pre-TS generally had better pacing, storytelling, character interactions, development and comedy than what is generally seen post-TS.
Mar 23, 12:38 AM
Jul 2021
Because it was actually good pre-time skip. I stopped reading at Wano
Mar 23, 1:57 AM

Sep 2022
I love both became the journey matters.
Mar 23, 2:30 AM

Apr 2014
Early_Morning said:
Because pre-TS is objectively better? Most fans agree, and the reasons for that are quite obvious; pre-TS generally had better pacing, storytelling, character interactions, development and comedy than what is generally seen post-TS.

This, and the fillers were better pre-timeskip. The G-5 stuff is a great example.
Mar 23, 3:07 AM
Sep 2014
i think a big reason is. watching an anime and constantly being pulled along by it to watch more is really fun. and a lot of people caught up somewhere after the timeskip and then had to wait. waiting just really pulls you out of that pacing that one piece has where there is almost always something to look forwards to next episode. and when you drag that out, it just doesn't feel that good.
Mar 23, 3:16 AM
Jul 2023
the jokes
the nostalgia
character development(not as much as pre but still good)
Mar 23, 6:19 AM
Sep 2020
Most of them are nostalgia merchant. That's it
Mar 23, 6:52 AM
Mar 2019
Better pacing and comedy in my opinion
Mar 23, 6:56 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Better pacing, more comedy, more chill episodes like where they just hang out at their boat.
I also think the voice acting was better before. Just plain more enjoyable would be my biggest answer.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Mar 23, 1:31 PM
Jan 2021
I think its fun to go back than things there simple. Watching One Piece again with my friend gives me new apreciation for the story.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Mar 23, 1:40 PM

Oct 2013
Better writing in general(?) the whole sabaody-gray terminal is almost a masterpiece. This coming from a fucking one piece hater
Mar 23, 3:34 PM

Aug 2023
Mostly the character moments I imagine. Pre-timeskip witnessed a myriad of memorable character moments; Nami's tears brought about by the Fishmen's tyranny in her village, Robin's cry for help, Zoro's sacrifice to name a few, all of which woven intrinsically within the narrative. Nowadays though, such moments are few and far in-between. It's almost as if the Straw hats are just there going with the flow, being rendered to their most basic composition amidst hundreds of random characters that serve little to no purpose in a drawn out story arc.

Still, that is not to say that post-timeskip is hugely underwhelming, it has its moments. The character designs certainly got more creative and the world-building keeps branching out in exciting ways. It also gave rise for characters like Law and Kidd to hog the spotlight. But largely, pre-timeskip is its own tier.
Mar 23, 4:40 PM
Aug 2023
idk I rushed through it, trying to get to ts
Mar 23, 5:36 PM

Nov 2019
funtime43_tr said:
I see that people always praise the pre-timeskip era of One Piece so much that they stop watching the anime after the timeskip. So why was the pre-timeskip era so beloved by fans?

My time to shine.Ok. I actually fully understand people who just quit after the time skip as pre time skip, it was just amazing wow, just wow the world just began and the character development at that factor was growing exponentially. After the time skip of course it continues but the pre time skip effect is way WAY WAY more wholesome. The animation if you like old animation you will like pre time skip animation. The world of One Piece in the beginning was just way better than it is now, but hey, everyone has there own opinion.
I am a COMPLETIONIST. Aiming to finish AS MANY ANIME as possible before DEATH, Despite them being SATISFACTORY or if they are BORING.

I WATCH THE LOWEST SCORED/RATED/RANKED ANIMES ON MAL (OR you can CALL THEM The WORST animes in the WORLD - No Joke Like Seriously)

No anime has actually satisfied my anime taste, That I can call a MasterPiece (10/10), still searching... hopefully one day I will find that show and obsess over it till I die.
RULE NO.4 I MUST WATCH ALL CONTENT FOR THE SERIES I HAVE FINISHED, NOW THIS ONE IS QUITE EXHILARATING.
Mar 24, 1:05 PM
Mar 2022
30% of the screenspace wasn't occupied by boobs
Mar 24, 1:18 PM

Sep 2016
Speaking for myself I liked pre-time skip because of:
  • oldschool animation with charming inconsistencies
  • overall more enjoyable story arcs
  • better humor
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 26, 8:34 AM
Apr 2022
funtime43_tr said:

It was too funny before time skip. But shit got serious after
Mar 26, 6:25 PM
Aug 2020
Maybe becuz we are use to like, goffiness, adventure and slice of life/comedy moments. When the strawhats begun to separate at whole cake, adventure, slice of life, comedy, chill are gone, and it became serious and the goffiness is not there anymore and also the strawhats became mature and strong and not rookies anymore.
Mar 29, 5:34 PM
Jun 2014
Hacker075 said:
Character-defining moments for the crew and many of the side characters combined with a much more gritty art style to enhance the impact.

I love the post Time skip but nothing comes close to "I want to live", "Nothing Happened", "Luffy, Help me", "A man dies when he is forgotten". I could list moments forever.

I won't go too far into every reason people prefer the pre-timeskip but that'd be my best guess.

I've really enjoyed this post, but I no longer agree with it! I still enjoy the post because it is a very good post, but I just got to ep 941, 18:19. When I got to this exact second I was reminded of your post and hastened back to let you know that as of ep 941, 18:19 I no longer agree.
Mar 29, 5:43 PM
Mar 2021
Davoo said:
Hacker075 said:

I've really enjoyed this post, but I no longer agree with it! I still enjoy the post because it is a very good post, but I just got to ep 941, 18:19. When I got to this exact second I was reminded of your post and hastened back to let you know that as of ep 941, 18:19 I no longer agree.

That's a fair reference. I'd also say that the moment sanji comes back to luffy in whole cake and sees him in complete tatters was a core memory for me. Luffy truly is the goat.
Mar 29, 6:27 PM
Jun 2014
Hacker075 said:
Davoo said:

That's a fair reference. I'd also say that the moment sanji comes back to luffy in whole cake and sees him in complete tatters was a core memory for me. Luffy truly is the goat.

Now that you mention it.. does it feel like a pattern? By which I mean: Are most of the most popular pretimeskip moments "dialogue moments"? And are most of the most popular posttimeskip moments "character confrontation moments"?
Apr 6, 7:31 PM
Dec 2021
It feels so nostalgic like I miss the old animation I mis there old skin tones and most of all I miss pre time skip zoro

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 357 Discussion

Darkreaper70 - Jun 12, 2008

45 by bakakisima »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 356 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 4, 2008

56 by bakakisima »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 353 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Netforce - May 12, 2008

75 by bakakisima »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 982 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FMmatron - Jul 10, 2021

147 by Byakuya692 »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 969 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Usopp8000 - Apr 10, 2021

73 by Yubisoft »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.