Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 10, 1:25 PM

Apr 2021
I'm trying to find anime and manga recc. from critics since I'm starting to become less trusting of user based suggestions after getting recc. that are not the best and lead me down a route of disappointment. I've also seen and read alot and wanna choose things more specific then whatever I see pop up. Do you all know any sites that showcase critics opinion on anime or manga together that help users find more worthwhile anime?
(For anime, I'm mainly ref. to anime like shows since movies are more widely discussed.)
Mar 10, 6:29 PM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
What kinds of critics? Who? Why? What compels you to think that a bunch of Western liberal arts Grads would have better anime taste and opinions than the general public?

Mar 10, 10:49 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Ri-KoRin
What kinds of critics? Who? Why? What compels you to think that a bunch of Western liberal arts Grads would have better anime taste and opinions than the general public?
@Ri-KoRin Spam. I find anyone can just spam their opinion on user based sites and mess it up for everyone. And also, I think, for instance, a 9 year old's opinion on Gintama is not really a opinion I would say is one I would trust with much value. I find reviewers here now uninteresting and wish there was more than audience criticism since it lacks merit inherently. Not to say I think critic circles are perfect, nothing is, but I'm saying I wish there was a place I could find recc. from people who generally are experts in the field with all experience in anime and have qualifications.

A straw man argument, for instance, like why ignore the general public for western liberal art grads miss the point. It's supposed to be expert opinions. Like if I went to a restaurant, what if the restaurant made the user score to make it seem great. Some possibly do. With more expert opinions, while that could occur, it's much more unlikely and, in turn, more trustworthy.

I don't hate public opinion, I just want more outside of it and a qualified opinion on each product so I can get more of a understanding then some user saying lol and just spamming whatever.
Mar 11, 1:08 AM

Oct 2018
You've got it backwards, if you're looking for expert opinions, you aren't going to find them from professional journalists or critics. The average user on a site like this is by no means an expert either, but luckily you can see how much anime someone has seen by checking their profile - you can find the people here who know what they're talking about. Other than that, best bet is just youtubers, generally the bigger ones are just gonna cover mainstream series and FOTM so you'll have to do some searching on your own to find someone who makes good content. I used to watch Digibro from time to time, until he melted his brain with drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/@argonbolt
This guy makes good mecha related content.
Mar 11, 2:12 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Alita
You've got it backwards, if you're looking for expert opinions, you aren't going to find them from professional journalists or critics. The average user on a site like this is by no means an expert either, but luckily you can see how much anime someone has seen by checking their profile - you can find the people here who know what they're talking about. Other than that, best bet is just youtubers, generally the bigger ones are just gonna cover mainstream series and FOTM so you'll have to do some searching on your own to find someone who makes good content. I used to watch Digibro from time to time, until he melted his brain with drugs.

https://www.youtube.com/@argonbolt
This guy makes good mecha related content.
@Alita But someone can easily just put whatever there on their MAL account nowadays. I would rather have someone who doesn't know anime or doesn't like it watch a anime who has a degree in writing and has years of experience and qualifications discuss a work rather than someone behind a keyboard say some anime really is peak and their MAL account says they watched alot. I also trust mainstream media when it comes to reviews in the sense that, while I may not always agree, it represents a company that review and half the time it's much more effort than any MAL users analysis and you know who wrote it and their qualifications.

I def. prob made the wrong assumption there with expert. What I should've got at was someone who knows criticism and knows how to critique art and has the qualifications I can view and experience to do so in a way where I can take their review with much value considering how far they went to prove themselves.
Mar 11, 3:02 AM

Sep 2016
You can check on IMDb if an Anime has critic reviews.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 11, 3:22 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
You can check on IMDb if an Anime has critic reviews.
@Zarutaku IMDB seems more limited in metric. Looking for a site that does it and thats the site itself.
Mar 11, 3:57 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to boredxoxo
@Zarutaku IMDB seems more limited in metric. Looking for a site that does it and thats the site itself.
@boredxoxo Then maybe Metacritic, it has both critic score and user score.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 11, 3:59 AM

Apr 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@boredxoxo Then maybe Metacritic, it has both critic score and user score.
@Zarutaku Metacritic is for, in terms of anime, only films with few exceptions.
Mar 11, 4:58 PM
Jan 2020
For manga, you can sort of just look up manga that have won or placed 2nd or 3rd for awards like the Next Manga award or the Manga Taisho awards for good recommendations. For anime, it's a bit harder. I'm not aware of any kind of journalist site that gives good critical reviews. Your best bet is to find someone that reviews anime on youtube that has similar interests as yourself and/or they actually have a diverse appreciation of all different genres.
Mar 12, 9:12 AM

Feb 2024
You can always subscribe to ThatAnimeSnob's YT channel.
Mar 13, 3:21 AM
Aug 2013
I consider myself somewhat a critic, I try judge anime at least using some criteria the same way a critic would and use a non bias reasoning for most of it.

Try these anime:
Monster
Vinland saga
Attack on titan
Banana fish
Death note
Rainbow
To your eternity
Ousama ranking
Mo dao zu shi
Seirei no moribito
Michiko & hatchin
Samurai champloo
Made in abyss
Beastars
Wolfs rain
Dororo
One piece
Hunter x hunter 2011
Jojo's bizarre adventure
Mob psycho 100
Berserk
FMA brotherhood
Bungou stray dogs
Gungrave
91 days
Great pretender
Odd taxi
Cyberpunk
Parasyte
Re:zero
Fate/zero
Golden kamuy
Kaiji
Mushoku tensei
Akatsuki no yona
Devilman crybaby
Shinreigari
Shinsekai yori
Heavenly delusion
Megalo box
Link click
Gurren lagann

Also Tokyo Ghoul and the Promised neverland had a very strong first season do try those as well

And if you're willing to try some movies give Kizumonogatari a chance, there's 3 movies so you can treat it like a short series if you watch the 3 movies in a row
AnimeDownUnderMar 13, 3:25 AM
~AnimeDownUnder~

Mar 15, 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
I can relate to you. The recommendations from most users, including even those that appraise less known and excellent shows, are total garbage. That's because artistic preferences of most people are almost completely random and unpredictable (just like those of the person above me, lmao Fate/Zero in the same list with One Piece, what the hell), they see no problems with giving Bocchi the Rock same rating they gave to Princess Mononoke, and so on. Even if they know something really worth their - and your - time, odds are they are not competent enough to rate it justly compared to other shows. You'll never get any good recommendations from an average MAL user, forget about it.

I noticed that actually demanding viewers who do not give away their 10/10s to everything they see discover everything they enjoy by using the sense of good and bad. They intuitively check every new show they'd like to see against a set of indicators of quality, which may include such things as studio, director, ratings, critical reception, personal recommendations, production value (literally ask yourself does it look cool, it works surprisingly well) and so on, to decide if something is worth watching or not. They key word here is intuitively - it happens completely subconsciously, without your intentional control. You just feel if something is going to be great or not, including after you started watching it. If you are smart enough, you will have no problems developing this ability, and if you are completely average MAL user, you won't, and you won't even need it because you won't care if it will be honest and sane to give Bocchi the Rock and Princess Mononoke the same 10/10.

The third eye in action

My favorite strategy to find good shows is to find something I haven't seen yet (and probably heard about) in the lists of people whose top picks consist of shows that I personally consider good. If such shows unseen by me appear multiple times in their lists, odds are I've missed something great. It is very time consuming, but it is fun. You can use not only MyAnimeList for that, but virtually any online anime community, such as r/animesuggest and r/myanimelist. This is why I watched Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju (it was not this great, the plot sucked, but it still shocked me and made me cry) and Monogatari series (sheer brilliance, the second season is incredible).

Another strategy is to use less known, excellent shows, to find viewers with such lists. These shows attract disproportional amount of demanding viewers who try to be honest and sane with their ratings, reviews and recommendations. I have found a person on this website with the highest affinity rating I've ever seen just due to that one personal favorite hidden gem pleb filter. I found some other brilliant reviewers with vast knowledge of brilliant and less known anime because they liked this show, too. It could not happen if I was monitoring ratings for Made in Abyss or Madoka Magica, because simply almost everyone loves them, and it would be impossible to find viewers who are not generous with ratings and would love them as much as I do. But shows with such filtering properties are exceptional, and odds are you are not as capable as me in finding them, so, try to develop this third eye vision I told you about, you are certainly smart enough to do it.
removed-userMar 15, 10:35 AM
Mar 17, 7:10 AM

Jun 2014
Looking at your list I don't think you're that picky with your anime reference.

More topics from this board

» 150 Chapters Manhwa/Manhua

Nizalich - Apr 21

4 by Nizalich »»
3 hours ago

» Question about the FLCL Series

TheSunLife - Apr 28

4 by TheSunLife »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

12 by Deserada »»
8 hours ago

» Movies

BitChilly - Apr 26

13 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 2:26 PM

» Can someone please put me on to some sad anime

Fischer77 - Apr 19

12 by Tsuyatoash »»
Yesterday, 11:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.