Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 28, 3:24 PM
Nov 2016
Reply to RegexShinobi
xZabuzax said:
@RegexShinobi What I'm trying to say is that the Okabe from Steins;Gate 0 is another Okabe from a different iteration, it's not the same Okabe that we experienced in the 1st episode of Steins;Gate, and hence, the order is not even chronological, things may look the same, but it's a different iteration altogether, in other words, Steins;Gate 0 happens first in that iteration, then things gets repeated and we end up with Steins;Gate.

@SciADV_Maniac is able to explain it way better than me.

I think I know what you’re trying to say and I’m going to try hard to keep my reply spoiler free for OP but it is the same Okabe. That would be like saying Alpha and Beta Okabe aren’t the same person but they are. Only one world line is “active” at a time. Okabe at the end of S;G is fully aware of everything he experienced during the S;G0 timeline.

I think it’s a common misconception that there are multiple versions of the characters but that’s not how the world line “lore” works in the S;G universe. It’s just that most characters are limited to what they remember or observe before and after world line shifts in contrast to Okabe who observes everything
@RegexShinobi Yes only one worldline is active at a time but that's not remotely what I'm trying to say, I'm not even saying that there are multiple versions of the characters active at all times because I agree with you in both of those points, what I'm trying to say is that Steins;Gate is a culmination of different Okabe's that experienced the same thing through different iterations, things may look the same in those past Okabes and they experienced almost the same thing, but they are different Okabe's and this includes the Okabe from Steins;Gate 0.

I will copy/paste this text that I had on my PC from a couple of years ago, this explanation is from another user but I saved it because it's a nice explanation, I think it was from SciADV_Maniac but I'm not sure, this is the text:

Because you're not following the same Okabe in both the series. S;G Okabe recieved that video mail in 1st episode from 0 Okabe that 0 Okabe never got from his own future self. His story was already completed before S;G Okabe started his own almost identical journey that we follow.

There were actually many more previous versions of Okabe before 0 Okabe who also go through this kind of journey & fail to find S;G & there was also the very first Okabe who must have experienced stuffs a lot differently then what we saw our Okabe experienced. That very 1st Okabe started everything or more like the 1st Suzuha who time travelled started everything & kept on rewriting history. A show with countless iterations like this can never have a proper chronological order. It's not like 0 is happening inbetween episode 23 & 24 of the OG series. That's a misinterpretation. It has altogether happened before the 1st episode of S;G.

What is also interesting that the alternative 23rd episode is also not a direct prequel to 0 anime (anyone can check the contradicting dates in Ep1 of 0 and 23ß of original), but was solely made to promote the 0 visual novel, back in 2015. And the 0 anime is also a sequel to the 0 VN due to its weird, iterative structure.
xZabuzaxFeb 28, 3:29 PM
Feb 28, 3:29 PM

May 2016
Reply to RegexShinobi
xZabuzax said:
@RegexShinobi What I'm trying to say is that the Okabe from Steins;Gate 0 is another Okabe from a different iteration, it's not the same Okabe that we experienced in the 1st episode of Steins;Gate, and hence, the order is not even chronological, things may look the same, but it's a different iteration altogether, in other words, Steins;Gate 0 happens first in that iteration, then things gets repeated and we end up with Steins;Gate.

@SciADV_Maniac is able to explain it way better than me.

I think I know what you’re trying to say and I’m going to try hard to keep my reply spoiler free for OP but it is the same Okabe. That would be like saying Alpha and Beta Okabe aren’t the same person but they are. Only one world line is “active” at a time. Okabe at the end of S;G is fully aware of everything he experienced during the S;G0 timeline.

I think it’s a common misconception that there are multiple versions of the characters but that’s not how the world line “lore” works in the S;G universe. It’s just that most characters are limited to what they remember or observe before and after world line shifts in contrast to Okabe who observes everything
RegexShinobi said:
Okabe at the end of S;G is fully aware of everything he experienced during the S;G0 timeline.

I'm not quite sure why do you think that. That's just simply not true. But if you think it's true, can you show me where exactly is implied that in the end, SG Okabe knows "everything"?

RegexShinobi said:
I think it’s a common misconception that there are multiple versions of the characters but that’s not how the world line “lore” works in the S;G universe.

You misunderstood what xZabuzax said I think. He didn't say this. These aren't different "versions". But different iterations do exist and that's the whole idea that 0 was built upon. The 6 routes in the VN - each of them is a different iteration. These do not exist simultaneously, but one after another and there are more unobserved iterations inbetween them. This is a holdover from an old Steins;Gate novelization called Annularly Chained Ouroboros

These iterations of 0 are happenning before Steins;Gate. What we see in S;G is the final iteration of events. Previous iterations basically look like:

-
Feb 29, 5:43 AM

Jan 2017
thebeyninja said:
I feel like if you watch Steins;Gate 0 after finishing all of the original Steins;Gate, it feels like an obsolete show that doesn’t need to exist.

Yeah, that literally what Steins;Gate 0 is... a bonus material for the long time fans, made solely to cash grab on it.

thebeyninja said:
But if you watch it in that order, again I say this for me personally, it feels more complete and has a purpose

The problem i personally have with this, is that you straight up twist what that show is supposed to be, "only" to appreciate it more. Artistically speaking, you completely disrespect what the Authors tried to do, and how, and that fucking sucks. If you don't like the story how it is, then just don't like it, that's all.

And Steins;Gate 0 does have a purpose: Explaining how Okabe created Operation Skuld to begin with, on top of casting light on the future of the Beta worldline.

RegexShinobi said:
it happens during S;G (not before) so I call it a “side-quel”

Generally, such shows are called "Midquel".

Steins;Gate 0 is not one tho, as pointed out by xZabuzax & SciADV_Maniac. You simply missed the details proving that it happens in reality before, like the crypted mail Okabe received in Episode 01. With the lot of people ignoring that, and keep recommending 0 as a Midquel (like with the "chronological order"), it also set a wrong mindset for those who follow it, to begin with too.
Alexioos95Feb 29, 5:47 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Feb 29, 5:59 AM
Nov 2023
Alexioos95 said:
thebeyninja said:
I feel like if you watch Steins;Gate 0 after finishing all of the original Steins;Gate, it feels like an obsolete show that doesn’t need to exist.

Yeah, that literally what Steins;Gate 0 is... a bonus material for the long time fans, made solely to cash grab on it.

thebeyninja said:
But if you watch it in that order, again I say this for me personally, it feels more complete and has a purpose

The problem i personally have with this, is that you straight up twist what that show is supposed to be, "only" to appreciate it more. Artistically speaking, you completely disrespect what the Authors tried to do, and how, and that fucking sucks. If you don't like the story how it is, then just don't like it, that's all.

And Steins;Gate 0 does have a purpose: Explaining how Okabe created Operation Skuld to begin with, on top of casting light on the future of the Beta worldline.

RegexShinobi said:
it happens during S;G (not before) so I call it a “side-quel”

Generally, such shows are called "Midquel".

Steins;Gate 0 is not one tho, as pointed out by xZabuzax & SciADV_Maniac. You simply missed the details proving that it happens in reality before, like the crypted mail Okabe received in Episode 01. With the lot of people ignoring that, and keep recommending 0 as a Midquel (like with the "chronological order"), it also set a wrong mindset for those who follow it, to begin with too.

I never recommended chronological order (in fact I said the opposite). And it is a midquel (whichever word we want to use is fine, I meant the same thing). I am not going to get into that though. OP hasn’t seen it yet.
Feb 29, 6:26 AM

Jan 2017
RegexShinobi said:
I never recommended chronological order (in fact I said the opposite).

Oh, i was not talking about you specially, but more generally.

With some people saying "Steins;Gate 0 is a Midquel" or "watch Steins;Gate 0 between Episode 22 & 23", the viewer will create a preconceived idea of it happening chronologically here, especially with how the story is told. I simply was pointing that out.

RegexShinobi said:
And it is a midquel (whichever word we want to use is fine, I meant the same thing).

How can it happens in the middle of the original when there is a sign of its end at the beginning of the original ?

You are probably simply getting confused by the story-telling, because they don't show you the events Okabe went through 3 weeks prior again, as they are very similar to what you already know from the original (which is not a bad thing, as it could have irritated most people, like with the Endless Eight of Haruhi).

It goes like this (more or less) : ... > 0 Okabe hellish weeks > 23b > 0 > Original Okabe hellish weeks (episodes 01-22) > Ending (Original episodes 23-24 + Epilogues). With, as pointed out by SciADV_Manic, many more iterations of the hellish weeks before the one we know in 0.

Edit : If i remember correctly, there also was something going on about the dates of Episode 23b not matching the Anime of 0, but i'm not sure anymore.
Alexioos95Feb 29, 6:49 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Mar 4, 5:32 AM
Nov 2023
SciADV_Maniac said:
RegexShinobi said:
Okabe at the end of S;G is fully aware of everything he experienced during the S;G0 timeline.

I'm not quite sure why do you think that. That's just simply not true. But if you think it's true, can you show me where exactly is implied that in the end, SG Okabe knows "everything"?

RegexShinobi said:
I think it’s a common misconception that there are multiple versions of the characters but that’s not how the world line “lore” works in the S;G universe.

You misunderstood what xZabuzax said I think. He didn't say this. These aren't different "versions". But different iterations do exist and that's the whole idea that 0 was built upon. The 6 routes in the VN - each of them is a different iteration. These do not exist simultaneously, but one after another and there are more unobserved iterations inbetween them. This is a holdover from an old Steins;Gate novelization called Annularly Chained Ouroboros

These iterations of 0 are happenning before Steins;Gate. What we see in S;G is the final iteration of events. Previous iterations basically look like:

Ah actually I think you refreshed my memory a bit on some of these points. Sign that it be time for a rewatch/replay sometime soon. I’m making my way through the other VN’s
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - Apr 19, 2011

260 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
Apr 24, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

805 by Nemesis133 »»
Apr 24, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

saxophone15 - Apr 26, 2011

241 by GatchiShoppo »»
Apr 20, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.