Forum Settings
Forums

I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

New
Feb 5, 1:38 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think of cutesy when I think of "girly" I guess. I find Sailor Moon "girlier" because to me, the transformations feel "girlier", along with Usagi when compared to Ichigo. I find Sailor Moon to have a more beautiful and romantic feel and a more magical feel, while Mew Mew feels more sci-fi in comparison. Sailor Moon also feels more slice of life esque even in just one season and main 5 Senshi tended to have longer hair than the five Mew Mews. It also has more of a focus on love and justice
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 8, 4:00 AM

Sep 2016
I think the style of sailor moon was more closer to the classic style of shoujo than mew mew where it was more modern maybe thats why i also thought the series was more girl focused since i think the classic style of shoujo is more girl focused with long hair big eyes and eyelashws and dressesand fashion.

Though i feel mew mew had also some of that but my feeling usually relates more with the classic style
Feb 28, 8:36 PM
May 2008
Reply to ooReiko
I think the style of sailor moon was more closer to the classic style of shoujo than mew mew where it was more modern maybe thats why i also thought the series was more girl focused since i think the classic style of shoujo is more girl focused with long hair big eyes and eyelashws and dressesand fashion.

Though i feel mew mew had also some of that but my feeling usually relates more with the classic style
@ooReiko

I think part of the reason to me that Cardcaptor Sakura seemed less girly to me then the other 2 was actually more the plot and style instead of the art. Although now that you mention it ooReiko you're right CLAMP's artstyle is pretty but different then the other 2.

Sakura's use of clow cards, her being a bit more sporty active compared to the other 2 series main girls and the fact that instead of a team she mainly had her rival/partner which was a boy probably further made it less girl focused.
Feb 28, 9:59 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to RICEA42991
@ooReiko

I think part of the reason to me that Cardcaptor Sakura seemed less girly to me then the other 2 was actually more the plot and style instead of the art. Although now that you mention it ooReiko you're right CLAMP's artstyle is pretty but different then the other 2.

Sakura's use of clow cards, her being a bit more sporty active compared to the other 2 series main girls and the fact that instead of a team she mainly had her rival/partner which was a boy probably further made it less girl focused.
RICEA42991 said:

Hmm maybe I read wrong your other post since I thought you said cardcaptor was more girly though I think I was more talking about the style of the series and now when I think about it the style of clamp respects the classic style but they still make it different so even if the style was girls focused maybe the story like you said maybe was less focused
Mar 1, 1:31 PM
May 2008
Reply to ooReiko
RICEA42991 said:

Hmm maybe I read wrong your other post since I thought you said cardcaptor was more girly though I think I was more talking about the style of the series and now when I think about it the style of clamp respects the classic style but they still make it different so even if the style was girls focused maybe the story like you said maybe was less focused
@ooReiko
No problem....I realized there's other magical girl series where they only have a boy partner/rival, and no team, just the mentor/mascot but still overall I felt Sakura was alot less girly compared to Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew. Maybe the fact that its CLAMP has something to do with it since their other series also give off a similar impression to me. Must be their style of plots.

I also remember Sakura being more popular with boys where I lived as a kid compared to Tokyo Mew Mew.....I'm not trying to say that there aren't male fans of Sailor Moon or Mew Mew though, because there definitely was male fans (my cousin being one of them).
RICEA42991Mar 1, 1:45 PM
Mar 1, 1:39 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to RICEA42991
@ooReiko
No problem....I realized there's other magical girl series where they only have a boy partner/rival, and no team, just the mentor/mascot but still overall I felt Sakura was alot less girly compared to Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew. Maybe the fact that its CLAMP has something to do with it since their other series also give off a similar impression to me. Must be their style of plots.

I also remember Sakura being more popular with boys where I lived as a kid compared to Tokyo Mew Mew.....I'm not trying to say that there aren't male fans of Sailor Moon or Mew Mew though, because there definitely was male fans (my cousin being one of them).
@RICEA42991
RICEA42991 said:
..I realized there's other magical girl series where they only have a boy partner/rival, and no team, just the mentor/mascot but still overall I felt Sakura was alot less girly compared to Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew Maybe the fact that its CLAMP has something to do with it since their other series also give off a similar impression to me. Must be their style of plots.

I think youre right about clamp since I think their series often have different impression than shoujo series even if their style respected the classic style. Also about cardcaptor I heard in the english dub they who made the dub aimed it for boys so maybe thats also why it gained the popularity as the series which wasnt as girly even though the style respects the classic style
Mar 1, 1:48 PM
May 2008
Reply to ooReiko
@RICEA42991
RICEA42991 said:
..I realized there's other magical girl series where they only have a boy partner/rival, and no team, just the mentor/mascot but still overall I felt Sakura was alot less girly compared to Sailor Moon and Tokyo Mew Mew Maybe the fact that its CLAMP has something to do with it since their other series also give off a similar impression to me. Must be their style of plots.

I think youre right about clamp since I think their series often have different impression than shoujo series even if their style respected the classic style. Also about cardcaptor I heard in the english dub they who made the dub aimed it for boys so maybe thats also why it gained the popularity as the series which wasnt as girly even though the style respects the classic style
@ooReiko

You're right. I remember that. Funny because even though they aimed it for boys in the original English dub, the series was still very popular with girls...especially tomboys like me haha....maybe also the fact that the Tsubasa series was created later on....further made Cardcaptor Sakura seem less girly....even if the 2 series aren't connected.
Mar 1, 2:19 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to RICEA42991
@ooReiko

You're right. I remember that. Funny because even though they aimed it for boys in the original English dub, the series was still very popular with girls...especially tomboys like me haha....maybe also the fact that the Tsubasa series was created later on....further made Cardcaptor Sakura seem less girly....even if the 2 series aren't connected.
@RICEA42991
RICEA42991 said:

I havent looked into tsubasa yet but I heard sakura plays role in the series, also I heard that even though she plays role its not actually her since its different which is why i was mostly confused since like you said I heard there wasnt connection even if the character was connected.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» What is your favourite Magical Girl Anime?

soaring_wings - Oct 7, 2008

32 by Dreamingone »»
Mar 29, 10:15 PM

» What mahou-shoujo anime are you watching

pinkrupee - Mar 22, 2013

25 by ooReiko »»
Feb 9, 2023 2:31 PM

» Non fighting Magical Girls, had you watched or read any of these kind of series?

SourcererZ - Nov 11, 2014

6 by RICEA42991 »»
Nov 29, 2022 12:17 AM

Sticky: » Club Announcements/Updates/News

RICEA42991 - Sep 20, 2022

0 by RICEA42991 »»
Sep 20, 2022 12:33 PM

» Which Magical girl series doesn't fit in the genre ( 1 2 )

RICEA42991 - Mar 19, 2011

54 by RICEA42991 »»
Aug 15, 2022 9:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.