Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 11, 8:53 AM

Jan 2020
Rewatching the final season now right after having completed the two previous ones fully in Japanese (with subs), and I can say that all the seasons basically portray considerably different characters. In the first season Hikigaya was a “strategic thinker”, talked a lot to himself about his past, dirty tricks and so on. In the second season he turned into a mellow sad boy (that sounds weird, but whatever), and here in the third season he’s spouting rofls after rofls like crazy (even his speech pattern changed completely, sounding more like a JK; those who are familiar with the Japanese language will understand what I mean). Yukinoshita was the insult queen in the first season, a sweet little girl in the second season, and a drama queen in the third season. I wouldn’t say that her speech pattern changed that much, but she definitely toned down her speech and kinda threw away all the complex vocabulary from the first season.

I don’t see anything wrong with it, but I just thought that such changes could have been the result of changing the directors in charge of the project. Speaking from experience, that happens pretty often — the second/third season have a different vibe as a result of the directors’ different vision.

I have a question to the LN readers: did the characters develop in the same manner in the LN as well, or was there a certain type of personality maintained throughout the whole thing? If the latter is the answer, then which season portrays Hachiman’s and Yukino’s personalities more accurately?
RudeRedisJan 11, 9:01 AM
Jan 11, 9:06 AM
Jan 2023
uh... you ever heard of character development?
Jan 11, 9:07 AM

Jan 2020
Jjb1741 said:

I mentioned that several times in the text.
Jan 11, 9:08 AM
Jan 2023
RudeRedis said:
Jjb1741 said:

good, so why are you questioning it? It's a very common thing and it was definitely not due to a change in directors or whatever.
Jan 11, 9:21 AM
Nov 2023
RudeRedis said:
Rewatching the final season now right after having completed the two previous ones fully in Japanese (with subs), and I can say that all the seasons basically portray considerably different characters. In the first season Hikigaya was a “strategic thinker”, talked a lot to himself about his past, dirty tricks and so on. In the second season he turned into a mellow sad boy (that sounds weird, but whatever), and here in the third season he’s spouting rofls after rofls like crazy (even his speech pattern changed completely, sounding more like a JK; those who are familiar with the Japanese language will understand what I mean). Yukinoshita was the insult queen in the first season, a sweet little girl in the second season, and a drama queen in the third season. I wouldn’t say that her speech pattern changed that much, but she definitely toned down her speech and kinda threw away all the complex vocabulary from the first season.

I don’t see anything wrong with it, but I just thought that such changes could have been the result of changing the directors in charge of the project. Speaking from experience, that happens pretty often — the second/third season have a different vibe as a result of the directors’ different vision.

I have a question to the LN readers: did the characters develop in the same manner in the LN as well, or was there a certain type of personality maintained throughout the whole thing? If the latter is the answer, then which season portrays Hachiman’s and Yukino’s personalities more accurately?

You are right about this thing like after 1st seasin the whole anime seasons after that chanhed for me and as for the character it is a general development for them so no argue its just part of the story .....

but still it is one of my favorite and wholsome vibed series and have rewatched it several times
Jan 12, 12:43 AM
Apr 2023
Jjb1741 said:

Also characters development has been an excuse to change the entire makeup of characters and their personality to fit the story rather than their personality shift directly affecting the events that take place. In my opinion this anime does it quite poorly, or the pacing of characters progression is disoriented. Not sure if the LN is different never read it.
Jan 12, 7:10 PM
Dec 2023
Jjb1741 said:
RudeRedis said:

good, so why are you questioning it? It's a very common thing and it was definitely not due to a change in directors or whatever.

Guess you didn't even read the question. He's asking if the changes in behaviour are a canon character development or due to having different directors. It's a very valid question. Now I'm curious about it.
Jan 12, 7:16 PM
Jan 2023
Pepezumos said:
Jjb1741 said:

Guess you didn't even read the question. He's asking if the changes in behaviour are a canon character development or due to having different directors. It's a very valid question. Now I'm curious about it.

guess you didn't read what you quoted because I said it wasn't due to a change in directors.
Jan 12, 7:33 PM
Dec 2023
Jjb1741 said:
Pepezumos said:

guess you didn't read what you quoted because I said it wasn't due to a change in directors.

?
You are clueless, I guess.
Your point is "there is a thing called character development, so it's definetly not due directors change." With a tinge of lack of social skills within the message itself.

While I would appreciate if your point was "I've read the LN and there were also that behaviour changes. It's a character development that feels poorly portrayed and rushed in the anime, probably because they had to condense it too much", but it was not.

No foundation, no respect, so no interest from my part in your comment.

Mainly quoting you just to let know to the OP that the question is valid, he just received an answer from some random kiddo.
Jan 12, 8:04 PM
Jan 2023
Pepezumos said:
Jjb1741 said:

?
Your point is "there is a thing called character development, so it's definetly not due directors change." With a tinge of lack of social skills within the message itself.

While I would appreciate if your point was "I've read the LN and there were also that behaviour changes. It's a character development that feels poorly portrayed and rushed in the anime, probably because they had to condense it too much", but it was not.

Mainly quoting you just to let know to the OP that the question is valid, he just received an answer from some random kiddo.

My point is that it's pretty obvious that the changes in the characters were purposeful. It's the whole theme of the show after all. I also assured OP that character development in anime is always intentional and abundant, especially in animes where the main character is somewhat of a loner or 'weird'. I've also never heard of an anime where the directors were given enough power to change a character, (other than maybe Ghost Stories). Now remember for next time that when you add something to a thread, you actually 'add' something to the thread.
Jan 12, 8:20 PM
Dec 2023
Jjb1741 said:
Pepezumos said:

?

My point is that it's pretty obvious that the changes in the characters were purposeful. It's the whole theme of the show after all. I also assured OP that character development in anime is always intentional and abundant, especially in animes where the main character is somewhat of a loner or 'weird'. I've also never heard of an anime where the directors were given enough power to change a character, (other than maybe Ghost Stories). Now remember for next time that when you add something to a thread, you actually 'add' something to the thread.

Although now you have somewhat like a proper and educated answer, even with the last sharp sentence, it does not erase your first two post nor answers the OP.

You still on the point of "there is something called character development, which is usually intended, I think that's the case". While is a valid opinion, opinions should not be given with the cockiness you showed in previous answers. He is asking for differences between the LN and the anime. I feel inclined to think that you did not read the LN, so you don't have relevant information. There is no more to it.
Jan 13, 8:11 AM
Dec 2017
The Feel studio did something wrong to Oregairu, the animation is inappropriate, a great obsession with one of the flattest characters like Yuigahama, in addition to what you have observed.
TherudJan 13, 8:16 PM
Jan 13, 11:37 AM

Jan 2020
Therud said:
The Feel studio did something wrong to Oregairu, the animation is inappropriate, a great obsession with one of the flattest characters like Yuigahara, in addition to what you have observed.

Can’t really evaluate whether they did go as far as being obsessed with Yuihagama, but the thing the threw me off the most about studio feel’s animation style was that they turned Hachiman into a grandpa and Yukino into a grandma respectively. I mean, if you look closely at their faces, you’re gonna get a feeling that something’s off. All other characters didn’t have this problem, though.
Jan 14, 7:58 AM
Jan 2021
Therud said:
The Feel studio did something wrong to Oregairu, the animation is inappropriate, a great obsession with one of the flattest characters like Yuigahama, in addition to what you have observed.

feel did it to create tension between the fans of the female characters, if there's tension people will talk about it more and it will create a traction online which indirectly help promoting the work. It's standard practice.

I don't agree regarding your comment on the animation, it's studio feel's style and they were changing the animation based of the anime's direction which was romcom.
Hot_Green_TeaJan 14, 8:34 AM
Jan 14, 8:33 AM
Jan 2021
RudeRedis said:

The characters' had character development as was mentioned by other user. The "strategic mindset" that Hachiman had in the beginning was due to him being self depreciating and, lack of value and experience in friendship so as long as he's in a place where he's comfortable, being alone, he's fine.

As the season goes on, it's shown that he started to understand and value his friendship he has with Yukino and Yui, hence his constant dilemma from early S2 onwards. He doesn't want to burden and risk his friends in terrible situations and it increases his thinking load, that's why he's more rash/careless in his actions later on, such when they took Iroha's request, he was willing to sacrifice Iroha to "save Yukino" because he sees Iroha's request as a threat and thought that Yukino and Yui's way of trying to make Yukino president will harm their group's dynamic which will cause disturb his current comfortable place spending time with his friends in the club room and running for President is not Yukino's own volition(he thought that she had to do it because she had to bear the Yukinoshita name). However, he was wrong in his judgement that what he had done actually done more harm then good because he's only thinking about the group from his own lense instead of all of them.

So to answer the question, they kinda had to change the direction because that's where the story was heading.
Jan 14, 8:46 AM
Dec 2017
Hot_Green_Tea said:
Therud said:

feel did it to create tension between the fans of the female characters, if there's tension people will talk about it more and it will create a traction online which indirectly help promoting the work. It's standard practice.

I don't agree regarding your comment on the animation, it's studio feel's style and they were changing the animation based of the anime's direction which was romcom.

The animation style has to be consistent with the story you are telling, regardless of how good or bad it is. Oregairu has the same animation style as Tsuki ga Kirei, for this anime the style is appropriate, but for a romcom it is too solemn a style, the characters are embellished and it makes noise, and if there is noise it is because you are not doing it right.

Ebina went from being a fujoshi to being a princess. Curiously, the tired spirit that Hachiman and Yukino adopt is very similar to that of the protagonists of Tsuki ga Kirei. It must also be said that this style enhanced Oregairu's dramatic moments.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 24, 2020

489 by Antivist64 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Sep 17, 2020

421 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 11:16 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cchigu - Aug 27, 2020

214 by venbals »»
Apr 5, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cchigu - Aug 13, 2020

189 by venbals »»
Apr 1, 12:33 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cchigu - Jul 30, 2020

283 by venbals »»
Mar 31, 11:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.