Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 22, 2023 10:46 AM

Jan 2020
Come to think of it, the Isekai genre can be broadly divided into two categories: regular Isekai (when someone from the modern day teleports/reincarnates in a parallel world) and reverse Isekai (when someone from the parallel word comes to the modern-day society). Nevertheless, the parallel world is always less developed than the MC’s home world. Usually, we have a modern-day country with capitalism, democracy, humanitarianism etc. and a country from Middle Ages with absolute monarchy, knights and magic (it might not be Middle Ages specifically but the Renaissance or Baroque period). Have you ever come across an Isekai, in which neither of the worlds are in the medieval setting?

P.S. Actually, I just remembered one that fits my description — Re:Creators.
RudeRedisDec 22, 2023 10:55 AM
Dec 22, 2023 9:35 PM

Dec 2015
I don't care about it and tbh it is easier for Medieval world, while for Sci-fi you need to put more effort because well there isn't as much reference.

Although the stuff you've mentioned aren't so modern. Nowadays democracy is based on Ancient Rome Democracy, even tho it is older. I've seen someone making a book/article that Capitalism is also to be viewed in Ancient Rome and Greece instead of late middle-ages. [Also heard some people referring early/XIIIth century medieval hillforts communities/tribes/country to being similar to capitalism], so I guess only Humanitarianism is so far the aspect which make us "differnt".

Instead of reverse-isekai [for me it is not from middle-ages to modern day, just multiple/single characters appearing to our known world, but it doesn't matter if they come from futuristic/parallel modern or past periods ex. Re Creators]. I would like to see an isekai towards Ancient times or other cultures instead of an already known Western European Middle-Ages, which is either France, Germany etc. What about Ancient Rome? Carthage? Summerians? Egypt? Piast's Poland? Kiyev Rus? Pomeranians? Minoan Civilization? Myceanan Greece? Unetice? Tumulus culture? Urnfield Culture? Lusatian?

Everyone are just so "sold" to see knights and magic, while ignoring multiple possibilities of same Medieval times, early medieval times which is almost always ignored [Almost because so far Vinland Saga is from Early Medieval but it isn't isekai], not to even mention the beginning of medieval times, roman imperial period, bronze age etc.
Withouth being negative if you know how to write a good story [or at least a story which seem to sell, even if it sucks] all you need is a wikipedia, as alot of those isekais don't even show the medieval worlds in a correct way [so far the best one is bookworm isekai from those which I've seen], imagine a manga author spending months of reading archaeological and historical books to know the basics/intermediate knowledge of for ex. Bronze Age era, just to make a manga/LN Isekai in that period of time, that would be nice x)

Btw there already are such Isekais which you're searching for, here's a couple of them:
Mobseka even tho it more I think Baroque, the mecha stuff around it etc. I would put it into non-standard.
Youjo Senki, Kimi wa Kanata [from pv/and description it doesn't seem to be a typical isekai], Urasekai Picnic, Date a Bullet [haven't seen those movies, although it has Isekai in their themes], Gate, NGNL - it is hard to categorise is as there are beasts with VRMMO, ex-machinas who are literally a terminators etc.. so gonna put it here, Hataraku Maou-sama! [isn't it a reverse isekai actually? I ain't seen it], Seisenshi Dunbine.

Nonetheless I am neutral and I don't care that much, as long as it is able to entertein me, after all I consume those isekais from time to time and still watchin em and having fun

Dec 22, 2023 9:57 PM

Feb 2016
The obvious anime example is Now and Then, Here and There.
The author of Howl's Moving Castle wrote Chrestomanci, a series about parallel worlds. The main world in which the protagonists are born features early 20th century technology.
その目だれの目?
Dec 22, 2023 10:32 PM

Mar 2012
In Tsubasa Chronicle they visit different worlds some of which are technologically advanced
Dec 23, 2023 12:05 AM

Jul 2021
Samurai Jack? (LOL)

If you're dealing with the future AND the present, it just becomes a time-travel story, doesn't it? Why would the writer frame the story as an isekai at that point?

Besides, if the writer wants "another world" more advanced than ours, a lot more research and care is needed to come up with an interesting but still coherent and believable setting. Then the writer needs to explain how the world works, without burying the plot and the drama under it all.

Also, it would be trickier to give the main character some kind of overpowered skill or advantage, like a lot of isekai stories tend to do. How is the main character going to fight back and survive when everyone else in the world is more advanced than he/she is?
Dec 23, 2023 12:22 AM
May 2012
If the world is more technologically advanced I think it should be considered Sci-Fi.
Dec 23, 2023 4:03 AM

Jan 2020
Hikinekomori said:
If the world is more technologically advanced I think it should be considered Sci-Fi.

Come to think of it, that’s a fair point.
Dec 23, 2023 4:12 AM

Jan 2020
perseii said:
Samurai Jack? (LOL)

If you're dealing with the future AND the present, it just becomes a time-travel story, doesn't it? Why would the writer frame the story as an isekai at that point?

Besides, if the writer wants "another world" more advanced than ours, a lot more research and care is needed to come up with an interesting but still coherent and believable setting. Then the writer needs to explain how the world works, without burying the plot and the drama under it all.

Also, it would be trickier to give the main character some kind of overpowered skill or advantage, like a lot of isekai stories tend to do. How is the main character going to fight back and survive when everyone else in the world is more advanced than he/she is?

Ok, thanks for the suggestion (Samurai Jack). I’ve never really watched any American cartoon-related media except for Chip & Dale and Duck Tales, so I might give it a try for a change of mood.

The third paragraph: no objections.

The fourth paragraph: Actually, I think there are several options how you could compensate for an MC’s weakness compared to the people from the future. Option number one is that you can make a peaceful setting where no one has to fight with each other, but that would make the show kinda boring. Anyway, not the best option but might be fitting for the Slice-of-Life genre. Option number two is to make your MC a sly, cunning quick-learner who manages to find a way to defend against the prevailing enemies despite being at a disadvantage. Those are my thoughts.
Dec 23, 2023 4:13 AM

Jun 2019
Hikinekomori said:

There's nothing technically mutually exclusive about Sci-Fi and isekai.

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

9 by Catalano »»
10 seconds ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 1 hour ago

7 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

12 by Catalano »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

67 by AzafuseKingTora »»
19 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

41 by Maou_heika »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.