Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2023 2:07 AM
Dec 2021
As an old head that watched the original series air, in my humble opinion, THIS is 1000% FLCL. I get that that the show has been pirated by wannabees and tryhards over the years, but, from what I've seen so far, this is fooly cooly. I guess the haters never really understood what it was...that's my only guess for the grunlegrubimrigghtyourburblebblurb. This IS FLCL, and I'm glad it's back.

Sep 11, 2023 8:05 AM
Nov 2013
I totally agree that it brings back the original feel, the other sequels never had that spark for me. I'd prefer 2d but, it's far from the worst cg I've seen. Not sure what you're on about with the tryhard/wannabee comments though, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a show years after its release
Sep 11, 2023 5:05 PM
Oct 2020
AtlasAeternum said:
I totally agree that it brings back the original feel, the other sequels never had that spark for me. I'd prefer 2d but, it's far from the worst cg I've seen. Not sure what you're on about with the tryhard/wannabee comments though, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a show years after its release

Elitists is what they mean. People that think they’re better than everyone else because of the opinions they have on silly Japanese cartoons
Sep 12, 2023 3:52 PM
Sep 2020
I saw the first episode yesterday and yes I agree that it definitely had the feel of the original FLCL but I just can't love the animation as much as I did with the 2000s one.
Sep 15, 2023 1:55 PM
Dec 2019
I agree, this season feels like it has the soul that the last two were missing. Even the obligatory dick joke landed.
Sep 15, 2023 8:12 PM

Oct 2019
I honestly don't see where anybody in this thread is coming from, almost none of the things I liked about FLCL are in Grunge. I'm happy for the people who like it so far but I'm severely disappointed.
Sep 15, 2023 9:01 PM
Aug 2023
They fact that people hate this anime because of CGI alone is really sad. It looks wonky, but the story and vibe feels similar to original FLCL, so I’ll let it slide. But the original FLCL is still best.
Sep 17, 2023 2:08 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to DonutSymphony
They fact that people hate this anime because of CGI alone is really sad. It looks wonky, but the story and vibe feels similar to original FLCL, so I’ll let it slide. But the original FLCL is still best.
I mean, anime is primarily a visual medium. The show being visually unappealing would be a very reasonable reason to dislike it, especially when the original series felt original and distinct. Imo while I did like some of the expressions the characters have here, the rest of the animation and style felt distracting and weird.

Sep 17, 2023 2:31 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Gwenpool
I mean, anime is primarily a visual medium. The show being visually unappealing would be a very reasonable reason to dislike it, especially when the original series felt original and distinct. Imo while I did like some of the expressions the characters have here, the rest of the animation and style felt distracting and weird.

Disliking a show purely on its visuals is childish though.
Sep 17, 2023 2:58 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to lewlewlew
Not really. As I said, it's a visual medium. First and foremost, how the show looks is key to how people perceive it. I know Grunge isn't nearly as bad as EX-ARM, but like... Look at 5 minutes of that show and tell me the animation doesn't make it unwatchable.

It's childish to say that the show has no value beyond how it looks. You should be able to acknowledge a show can have worth beyond its animation. Like Beastars had some nasty CGI, yet the story and characters were very compelling. But I'm not going to blame people for not watching the show and seeing those strengths because the show looks like some foreign bootleg of One Stormy Night.
Sep 17, 2023 3:40 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to Gwenpool
Not really. As I said, it's a visual medium. First and foremost, how the show looks is key to how people perceive it. I know Grunge isn't nearly as bad as EX-ARM, but like... Look at 5 minutes of that show and tell me the animation doesn't make it unwatchable.

It's childish to say that the show has no value beyond how it looks. You should be able to acknowledge a show can have worth beyond its animation. Like Beastars had some nasty CGI, yet the story and characters were very compelling. But I'm not going to blame people for not watching the show and seeing those strengths because the show looks like some foreign bootleg of One Stormy Night.
I've watched 40 minutes of it and I don't mind watching the final 20 minutes. I still believe completely dismissing a show just beacues it's cgi is very childish. It absolutely isn't the highlight of this show but it is at the very least passsable with some great moments here and there. Only kids tend to hate things purely on the basis of it's look.
Sep 17, 2023 3:56 PM
Sep 2023
Reply to lewlewlew
Yeah, nothing says "this IS Fooly Cooly" like Gainax having to scam the former rights holder out of the IP in order to get this show going.

@lewlewlew "visuals" are part of how themes, characterization, atmosphere, etc. are conveyed in a visual medium (e.g. a TV show). There's no "just visuals." Failing at visuals in anime is like writing a book in wingdings font.
"You don't like a book JUST because you can't read the text? That's pretty childish." No.
Sep 17, 2023 4:16 PM
Mar 2020
Reply to OfficerPoon
Yeah, nothing says "this IS Fooly Cooly" like Gainax having to scam the former rights holder out of the IP in order to get this show going.

@lewlewlew "visuals" are part of how themes, characterization, atmosphere, etc. are conveyed in a visual medium (e.g. a TV show). There's no "just visuals." Failing at visuals in anime is like writing a book in wingdings font.
"You don't like a book JUST because you can't read the text? That's pretty childish." No.
You are acting like there is an arguement about the show's actual visual quality. There isn't. People are completely dismissing it cause it's cgi. That is childish behaviour. If you can't notice that then you aren't really as perceptive as you think you are.
Sep 21, 2023 5:25 AM

Jun 2021
And you don't think that dismissing peoples' views and insulting them isn't childish?

Presentation is one of the biggest elements in a show, and that goes for almost any show. If people don't like that presentation (whether it be ugly or CGI), that's completely up to them. Especially since Japanese CGI shows are often pretty subpar, lbr here.
Sep 21, 2023 9:30 AM

Apr 2015
"People are completely dismissing it cause it's CGI" People don't dismiss CGI that looks good like Houseki no Kuni or Beastars. People dismiss CGI that looks like glitching PS2 cutscenes (Blade Runner: Black Lotus, another Toonami original) or the cast of FLCL being replaced with your personal sleep paralysis demons (this crap).

Even Anime News Network, as much as they kiss ass, couldn't give it higher then a C+. It looks awful and makes no sense. It shouldn't exist. Please stop letting fat white guys be "creative directors" on anime.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 21, 2023 1:26 PM

Jan 2008
Don't care, it looks like shit. The visuals are puke-inducing. This is a VISUAL medium. If you fail at the visuals, you fail, period.
Sep 24, 2023 4:49 PM

Oct 2013
This is a shalow imitation of FLCL.
Recreating the same scenes and using the same soundtracks so it hits that sweet sweet nostalgia.

People said the same about Progressive/Alternative, except its actually 100% true in this case.
Oct 9, 2023 5:33 PM
Jan 2019
dam cgi to bad............
Nov 1, 2023 2:13 PM
Dec 2021
I'm kinda surprised my post didn't get as much hate as I thought it would. It took me two months to finish this short run, I had other things to do besides watch anime. Now that I've finished this though I had to come back and check to see what y'all had to say. I'm glad that there are some that see that they packed more soul, story, and FLCL vibes into 3 short episodes than some shows can in 24 eps. I wasn't sold on the art at first, but I think it's fitting. The first will always be my favorite for nostalgic reasons, but I'm happy to see that it can still be pulled off now.
Dec 10, 2023 12:19 AM
Apr 2015
So this anime story not sequel from FLCL alternative?
Jan 3, 9:44 PM
Dec 2021
Reply to Francis_0
So this anime story not sequel from FLCL alternative?
@Francis_0 It's not a continuation of the story from Alternative. This is it's own stand-alone story. It shares the same themes as other FLCL entries though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireRifle64 - Sep 9, 2023

66 by 0foron »»
May 4, 3:46 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 3 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 23, 2023

30 by Titadou »»
Mar 9, 10:04 AM

Poll: » FLCL: Grunge Episode 2 Discussion

FireRifle64 - Sep 16, 2023

21 by MizuhoKamui »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

» Why won't they let it die?!

AnimeMastery - Sep 15, 2023

3 by AnimeMastery »»
Oct 13, 2023 5:18 PM

» stop milking this series :(

EmilCioran - Mar 18, 2022

36 by xBuster6 »»
Sep 12, 2023 6:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.