Forum Settings
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2023 10:22 AM

Feb 2012
Volume 9, Chapter 3:

This is one of the worst chapters I have ever read in my life, and I'm shocked it's coming from Overlord because this series has been really good. The entire premise of chapter makes no sense. The kingdom has received a declaration of war with justification being returning the land to a recently known caster. The kingdom is on the eve of fighting this war and only then thinks of trying to communicate to this caster about what is going on, when the first thing any normal person would do is send a messenger to learn of Ainz's intention. The Kingdom then sends an army that serves no strategic or tactical purpose. The reports about Ainz shows that 5,000 Soldiers would not be nearly enough to defeat him, and there would be little to gain from military action on that front when the enemy's main force is already identified. The story decides just to make the Prince leading the Army an idiot because you would need to be a massive one to do what he did.

I have always found the Village of Carne to be the worst thing in Overlord. It is filled with pretty uninteresting characters that have all already outlived their main usefulness to the story. The fact they keep on getting featured just drags down the much more epic and interesting story beats happening elsewhere. They have spent a considerable amount of effort and energy building their defenses, yet they were completely unprepared for the appearance of the Kingdom's Army. They should of had a clear plan on hiding the goblins and trolls and they should of had no qualms about welcoming their own prince. However, a fight needed to happen so everything had to be contrived in a stupid way to make it happen. A Deus Ex Machina also needed to occur because there was no logical reason for Carne to win but they had to win.

This chapter unfortunately highlights the biggest issue with Overlord in that it just doesn't have real and meaningful stakes. Ainz is too powerful and there is only one time where his forces have actually faced a real threat when Shalltear was brainwashed. All the other nations and characters involved show they can't match Ainz at all. The story hides this by focusing on other characters in the world that do have stakes, but that can only go so far. At this point, I think it would just be better to go all in on the power fantasy and be entertained by the epicness of the events than continuing following side characters that we already know have to hope of winning.
Sep 1, 2023 10:33 PM

Sep 2020
you are missing the point/viewing the series as something other than what it is +your take is trash and dumb to smoke
Sep 2, 2023 5:09 AM
Oct 2021
Unprepared for Kingdom army?? Bro, even if the villagers spent considerable time of preparing against an army, they would stood no chance against an actual army.
Sep 3, 2023 6:13 PM

Mar 2018
I can tell you that many of the problems you have with Overlord won't go away, but it is also the last time Carne village will be the focus of the story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Volume 16 Discussion

ColtBuntline - Sep 18, 2022

8 by LukesYGO_WSonYT »»
Jan 13, 7:00 PM

» Is overlord LN a adaptation or a original work?

Kartik01528n - Jul 14, 2023

3 by BucketBall »»
Jul 15, 2023 4:51 AM

Poll: » Overlord Volume 4 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Apr 11, 2015

13 by SentrySalmanjr »»
Mar 7, 2023 1:25 PM

Poll: » Overlord Chapter 32 Discussion

Phaetons_Folly - Feb 4, 2023

0 by Phaetons_Folly »»
Feb 4, 2023 4:50 PM

Poll: » Favorite female character in Overlord

Warphate - Oct 1, 2015

33 by Naroomaki »»
Nov 29, 2022 8:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.