Forum Settings
Forums

Hollywood blockbusters have set the bar so low now I’m actually starting to prefer modern anime

New
Jul 3, 2023 12:03 AM

Apr 2022
I don’t know whos in charge of quality control over in Hollywood but oh lord, blockbusters are at an all time low right now. Aside from guardians of the galaxy 3 and across the spiderverse (and even that was ruined by a stupid cliffhanger ending), I’ve been really disappointed in Hollywood blockbusters lately. Either they’re just uninspired capeshit (Shazam 2, ant man), generic schlock (renfield, John wick 4, evil dead rise, super Mario), useless additions to old IPs (Transformers rotb, Indiana Jones dod) or just riddled with plot holes and bad writing (Fast x, the flash, knights of the zodiac). I miss the days when we had blockbusters that were actually made with passion such as Terminator 2, The dark knight and The Matrix. Quality is so bad id rather watch modern anime over an average blockbuster and we all know how trash modern anime is rn. Rather rewatch chainsaw man than Ant Man Quantumania.

What does everyone else think? Are they stinkers now or are there gems that I’ve missed. Also I know there are some amazing films, but most are indies.
Jul 3, 2023 7:17 AM

Sep 2020
Hollywood blockbuster where never all that to be honest, we just tend to watch the better ones from back in the day. 
There is too much good stuff coming from smaller movie markets and too many good old movies for me to ever care about what Hollywood is doing to day. 
If anything we are in the era of A24 (Everything Everywhere) films and Korean "blockbusters" (Parasite)
"My la fleur planting haunted gardens
Where the scars are formed
Pluck my heart like harpsichords
'Til one of ours will wash ashore
Baited breath til sharks'll swarm
Bay of pigs we're art of war
Bayonets I'm marching toward
Lately I've been Lobster Boy" 
                                                  - Sadistik

Jul 4, 2023 11:42 AM

Apr 2023
I mean yeah. Ive been checking out what movies had to offer after i got burned out from watching so much anime, but now im crawling back lol.
Jul 5, 2023 5:05 AM

Sep 2009
Me too, I lost my interest since early 2010s and switched my interest with Asian media or stick with titles that released in pre-2010s.

Jul 5, 2023 10:47 PM

Mar 2022
I agree with GOG vol 3, but not spider-verse (thats a masterpiece)

also theres the most of hype behind the new Barbie movie coming out soon! cant lie.. im excited!

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘
Jul 6, 2023 7:58 PM

Apr 2022
zenviolet said:
I agree with GOG vol 3, but not spider-verse (thats a masterpiece)

also theres the most of hype behind the new Barbie movie coming out soon! cant lie.. im excited!

I loved both guardians of the galaxy and across the spiderverse, thought they were amazing gems in a sea of massive mediocrity. Problem I had with spiderverse though was a very tacked on and forced cliffhanger ending and the idea that it commits a sin very common in many time travel/multiverse stories (that being introducing a evil counterpart of a character who is essentially good). Other than that it would be a 10/10 and beyond the spiderverse is my most hyped movie for next year.

I’m also excited for Barbie, but idk I would consider it a mainstream blockbuster in the same vein as something like John Wick 4 and Ant Man.
Jul 6, 2023 8:10 PM

Apr 2022
Vargnatt said:
Me too, I lost my interest since early 2010s and switched my interest with Asian media or stick with titles that released in pre-2010s.

I’ve been watching Thai films lately. They aren’t perfect or anything and there are a myriad of flaws, but I often find passion in them that I don’t seem to notice in a lot of this Hollywood trash
Jul 6, 2023 8:24 PM

Dec 2016
And just now you come to realize this? Big-budget Hollywood has been drowning in mediocrity for at least 8 years now. I think the last truly outstanding blockbuster they delivered was Mad Max: Fury Road in 2015.
Jul 6, 2023 8:54 PM

Apr 2022
SoldierDream said:
And just now you come to realize this? Big-budget Hollywood has been drowning in mediocrity for at least 8 years now. I think the last truly outstanding blockbuster they delivered was Mad Max: Fury Road in 2015.

I mean they’ve been mostly bad to mediocre. But I think recently they’ve hit such a new low that id rather watch modern anime over them
Jul 7, 2023 2:31 AM

Sep 2009
Runasius said:
Vargnatt said:

I’ve been watching Thai films lately. They aren’t perfect or anything and there are a myriad of flaws, but I often find passion in them that I don’t seem to notice in a lot of this Hollywood trash

I haven't seen any Thai movies recently however I know from lakorns they have more soul in acting than current Hollywood garbage even though they shout at lot lol.

Jul 7, 2023 7:28 AM
Dec 2022
I haven't watched any Hollywood movies since 2007-ish. Too much on actions.

More topics from this board

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

16 by Spunkert »»
13 minutes ago

» J Cole vs Kendrick Lamar

Cammell - Apr 5

35 by Cammell »»
2 hours ago

» as a guy, what do you think about mitski's music?

removed-user - Dec 3, 2023

6 by mahyur »»
2 hours ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

18 by mahyur »»
3 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7631 by AdamBirch »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.