Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 9, 2023 2:22 PM

Jun 2019
I'll delete my account in two years.
Apr 9, 2023 2:33 PM

Sep 2009
Soon to be 31, anime was my escapism from the real life and still is so nope.

Apr 9, 2023 7:25 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Why do you want to trigger people into an angry reaction? That's getting old and boring

Apr 9, 2023 9:27 PM

Nov 2018
rizkimath said:
What do you think if people who are over 20 years old like anime, are they not afraid of being ridiculed by society?
LOL

Trust me young grasshopper, the older you get the less you give a crap about what others think. 
Apr 9, 2023 9:58 PM

Jul 2012
I’m pretty sure that most of the people who use MAL are in their 20s or older. I’m 29 and have liked anime since I was about 6, watching shows like Dragon Ball on Toonami. Like video games, I never stopped liking it as I grew older. Sure my tastes have changed but I still like watching anime.

I wouldn’t immediately judge anyone who told me they like anime as that would be hypocritical. But you can usually tell by looking what anime fans are normal and who the weebs that should be avoided are.
Apr 9, 2023 10:46 PM

Feb 2016
Why does the age matter? Anybody can like anime regardless of the age and its more normalized than the past. 
Apr 9, 2023 10:52 PM

Dec 2019
Anime is literally the last thing that people associate with me irl so yeah
Apr 9, 2023 10:55 PM

Aug 2021
There's a lot of hypocrisy and double standards when it comes to this. 

It's ok for grown adults to glorify Hollywood superhero, sci-fi and collect their plastic crap, the likes of Rick and Morty, worship celebrities and sport stars and so on for everyone who has an odd hobby but it's somehow a taboo to watch anime that is clearly targeted to the mature audience? 
Apr 9, 2023 11:01 PM

Mar 2021
There are a lot of interesting, measured, and thought provoking answers to this question. The question itself is just another reminder that animation is unfairly viewed in the west as a medium meant exclusively for children. As somebody who did not even start watching anime regularly until I was well over 30, it is definitely worth reflecting on.

In my case, I kind of had to stop caring what other people thought of my artistic tastes and preferences quite a long time ago. Growing up in a rural community, liking music that none of my peers liked (classical, in my case), I know it can be incredibly isolating not being able to share your passions with the people in your social circles or age groups, and getting grief for not fitting in with the conventional tastes of your age/class can be draining. It is easy for me to say you should like what you like regardless of what others might feel, but at this point, I would never fault anybody for worrying about secondary effects such as how they are perceived by others for their hobbies and interests.

That being said, all art is subjective, and one cannot help what you take away from a given work/genre/medium. If somebody ever brings the subject of anime with ill intent, the strongest defense is simply trying to explain the things about it that you find valuable, without disregarding other people's subjective experiences (and certainly without preemptively denigrating your own tastes as somehow inferior to the norm). I have found more (older) fans of anime IRL (and just maybe, created some) just by openly discussing the shows that I enjoy the most and why they moved me.     
Apr 10, 2023 2:38 AM

Dec 2013
People were afraid of that, in their teens and some even earlier.
At 20 and in our current age, it's no different from liking male Korean idol groups. Arguments can be made, if you feel like you need to justify yourself. But at the end it's a way to pass the time, a way that suits you.
Apr 10, 2023 2:40 AM

Jan 2020
rizkimath said:
What do you think if people who are over 20 years old like anime, are they not afraid of being ridiculed by society?

Turned 20 last march, I see people my age being ridiculous for anything except about what they watch or read.
I'm not the biggest anime fan so maybe that's why I don't really care tho.
Apr 10, 2023 2:55 AM

Aug 2022
man if anything it's the opposite, when I was a teen being into anime was not cool at all, I never told people that I watched anime at that age. I remember I used to cringe at the kids at my school walking around with their Naruto headbands and then go home and watch Cowboy Bebop, NGE, FMA, and Trigun. In fact I remember the one time I let it slip this one kid was reading the FMA manga in class and I was like "you reading FMA? That shit's rad as fuck" and he looked at me dumbfounded like he didn't understand why I knew what manga even was. Meanwhile, now I'm 32 and walk around with Berserk and Dorohedoro tattoos clearly visible and give zero shits, in fact, I've gotten a lot of my friends to get into anime and manga. Anime and Manga are pretty normalized now, there's not really much stigma about it unless you're going around talking about degen shit.
Apr 10, 2023 3:11 AM

Sep 2021
it's just chinese cartoons no one would care 
Apr 22, 2023 3:52 PM

Feb 2022
ateks said:
Huskyhulk said:
Only my sisters know that i watch anime and no one else knows. Well there's nothing to be embarrassed about watching anime but i can't tell them what type of anime i like to watch.

I mean you could show them some of those and look how they react. You never know.
don't think so, but maybe in next lifetime.
[/url]
Apr 22, 2023 4:25 PM
Aug 2019
I'm 32 and while it's always kind of been an open secret amongst friends that I'm a huge closet nerd (and they DO make fun of me for it) I pretty much stopped watching anime all together in college out of fear of alienating the opposite sex.

Eventually, you realize that life is too short to pretend to be someone you're not just to attract people who would judge you for being yourself. Also if your friends are decent human beings, they'll accept you for the weeb you are. A little teasing amongst pals is a good exercise in building character.

Still- I'm a bit envious of the 20-somethings of this generation; anime seems to be MUCH more widely accepted with Gen Z than it was with Millennials. The amount of random Abercrombie bros that high-five me at bars for wearing my AoT or DBZ shirts will never stop making me feel like I somehow slipped into a parallel dimension.

I got laid at my friend's bachelor party in Nashville two weekends ago while wearing a god damn Berserk graphic tee. Make of that that information what you will.
Apr 22, 2023 4:41 PM

Dec 2015
Sorry i have high enough self confident to ignore what others think.
Looks like you don't what a sad life you must live.

Apr 22, 2023 5:18 PM

Jul 2015
rizkimath said:

Never was afraid. I always liked anime since childhood. I nonchalantly forever had said it with huge confidence way before anime's becoming mainstream. Never cared what people thought or said to me because different peeps like different things, It just happened that I liked anime that's all.

Feck single minded society.
Apr 22, 2023 9:32 PM

Aug 2021
I started watching soon after I turned 19 and I’ll be 21 soon and not only have no intent of stopping, but I watch and read more and more frequently as time passes these past almost 2 years. I don’t really care what anyone else thinks and even if I did, a lot of people my age are into too. Whenever I wear anime shirts to class and around campus, I almost always have at least one person compliment me on it. I like what I like and I’m not gonna change it because of such a small thing as someone’s irrelevant opinion. Maybe have a little more self confidence in yourself.
Apr 22, 2023 9:52 PM
Jun 2020
All these guys are liars. Liking anime is a death sentence if the public finds out. Always stay in the anime closet, never express your love for Japanese drawings with anyone, seriously take that to the grave.

I knew this guy at work who once decided it was OK to wear a Naruto shirt to a afterwork party. Guy was canned by the end of the month.
Apr 22, 2023 10:22 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Never seen anyone be ridiculed for liking anime, so it isn't something I've ever worried about.

BrickHARDmeat220 said:

I knew this guy at work who once decided it was OK to wear a Naruto shirt to a afterwork party. Guy was canned by the end of the month.

And you believe he was fired because of the Naruto shirt? Lol
Apr 22, 2023 10:25 PM

Oct 2021
I don't think any of that would happen. Anime are meant to be watched by anyone for entertainment. :)

░     ❶ Profile                     ░               ❄ 𝚕𝚞𝚌𝚒𝚣𝚔𝚞𝚗 ❄
  ░     ❷ Anime List          ░
Apr 22, 2023 10:33 PM
Dust collector

Sep 2021
Sorry , I always forget that I'm not allowed to enjoy things because I'm over 20.
Apr 23, 2023 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
At this point I feel like 20 is actually on the younger side for anime fans. I don't really interact with high schoolers, though, so I'm not sure how popular anime is in that age group. The discord servers I'm on and the IRL friend groups I have tend to have older crowds of anime fans. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I've even met 60 year old anime fans and they were pretty chill. I don't think people need to worry about their hobbies as much as they used to, society seems pretty welcoming to people who like different things.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» What is the best anime in your opinion?

tappioca - 3 minutes ago

0 by tappioca »»
3 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3

707supremacist - 10 hours ago

45 by AverageWaifu »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you think we should have live-action show turn into anime?

RedTea33 - 2 hours ago

4 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

» What is the biggest problem in the world of anime in your opinion?

castle2001 - 9 hours ago

32 by Serafos »»
10 minutes ago

» Are Risqué Anime Bad for the Industry?

Dragevard - 8 hours ago

20 by Serafos »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.