Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 15, 2023 6:40 PM

May 2018
This has got to be one of the worst endings in the history of manga!  It's like the author basically shoe-fisted it so they could check it off their list of things to do.  Ugh!  😒

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Mar 18, 2023 11:08 AM

Apr 2022
This final really broke me, seeing all this about earthquake after experiencing one, I felt the fear.

I was expecting to see more sweeping job, Okazaki's development, Miwa-san embracing his feelings, and generally more stuff about death. But many people's lives end abruptly just like that, in the midst of expectations. If mangaka's purpose was to remind us that our end will come so suddenly and unexpectedly, I'd say he did a great job. Even if it was axed it still give me the this realization, guess I won't be able to question if my life was axed after I die.

Well, RIP Miwa-san and everyone who died in a earthquake. I'll miss this manga.

Mar 22, 2023 2:13 AM
Aug 2015
Looks like it was an axe, judging from the whole end of world shit, lol. But it was an interesting way of ending it, can't say it was great, though.
Apr 22, 2023 7:50 AM
Couch Potato

May 2016
There were earthquakes throughout the manga so I assume the mangaka either had a plan to end this in a similar way, or he assumed he might get axed and had it as a safety net.

Regardless, I think it was a good ending. As @benisgu said, it is a good way to remind us that some things end abruptly (even though I also wanted more sweepings and character development). The manga was 10/10 for me.
Oct 2, 2023 2:47 PM

Apr 2017
That was...an ending? The last two chapters were an absolute mess. It's disappointing to see such a good story veer off-track so hard.

The religious cult subplot could've been developed more, but we didn't actually need it—like with Shigeshoushi, the earthquake at the end would've been dramatic enough on its own. It does seem like the manga was axed, maybe even halfway into volume 5. Otherwise I can't explain the plain bad writing decisions that began dropping like boulders, where everything and the kitchen sink is thrown in there—because if it appeared before somehow, that has to count as foreshadowing, right? Reincarnation, earthquakes, the cult, the NEETs. I seriously got to the last page and went "wait, that can't be it, there has to be more".

Sighing over here because I was 100% into the psychological explorations of death, and how Hiroyuki's view of it fluctuated and his character matured. I was even on board for the batshit Yuzuki arc, because at least that one was more believable than the cult. It all felt grounded and relatively realistic, until the mangaka decided to make Reiji oh-so-special and DAMAGED...because he couldn't be just an everyday dude with emotional trauma like everyone else. Around 2/3 in, I was already getting tired of his monotone monologuing, but the incestuous backstory was...oh man, it was laughably bad.

Come to think of it, the quality of the writing got worse after Daijiro's death. To me, it seemed like a completely random event (inb4 "death is random") that ruined Hisoka's character, too. All it took was a fever for her to go from interesting and sharp, to a babbling loon prophesying the end of the world.

8/10 because it was good before the nosedive. It was like driving up a steady incline and suddenly falling off a cliff.

More topics from this board

» Will anyone resume the translation of this wonderful manga?

DawningFog - Jun 8, 2016

7 by themestears »»
May 9, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Death Sweeper Chapter 13 Discussion

Ittan_Momen - Aug 24, 2018

0 by Ittan_Momen »»
Aug 24, 2018 8:31 PM

Poll: » Death Sweeper Chapter 9 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Dec 14, 2013

5 by Nolri »»
Apr 5, 2016 8:12 AM

Poll: » Death Sweeper Chapter 8 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Dec 14, 2013

0 by -Karoshi- »»
Dec 14, 2013 1:49 PM

Poll: » Death Sweeper Chapter 7 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Dec 14, 2013

0 by -Karoshi- »»
Dec 14, 2013 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.