Forum Settings
Forums

[SPOILERS] Can somebody tell me the major differences between the manga and the movie in a few sentences?

New
Feb 5, 2023 1:52 AM

May 2014
The title is self-explanatory and yes this thread contains spoilers. Thanks! :)
Feb 5, 2023 2:02 AM
May 2022
The Movie is rushed and not complete
you will feel lost here and there...the manga is complete
The anime has amazing visuals so you can watch it and read the manga after.
But don't just watch the movie, if you wanna experience Akira the manga is mandatory but the movie is still beautiful and fun(kinda).
Feb 5, 2023 2:07 AM
Aug 2020
mangalicker94 said:

The movie is essentially half of volume 1, original material in the middle that doesn’t follow volumes 2, 3, 4 and 5, then the movie takes material from volume 6 to conclude
Feb 5, 2023 2:20 AM
Sep 2021
mangalicker94 said:

Movie came out before the manga ended
Movie covers only the first and the last volume
Still an impressive movie for the time it was made. And there’s a remake going to come at some point in the future
Feb 5, 2023 3:18 AM
Apr 2021
The manga is the whole complete story. However, the movie is a special unique experience I recommend it watching as well. Before or after does not matter, whatever works for you.
Feb 5, 2023 3:20 AM
Apr 2021
VeryGhoul said:
mangalicker94 said:

Still an impressive movie for the time it was made. And there’s a remake going to come at some point in the future

A remake, seriously? I never heard of this. I hope it’s good and does the manga justice.
Feb 5, 2023 3:36 AM
Sep 2021
majin_mark505 said:
VeryGhoul said:

A remake, seriously? I never heard of this. I hope it’s good and does the manga justice.

Katsuhiro (akiras mangaka) is directing it (at least that’s what mal says). As for the studio we still got no idea who’s working on it. I’ve seen some speculation here and there but nothing seems confirmed. Same goes for release date. Well if the original creator is heavily involved with the production then I don’t think we should be worried. Akira seems like a hard manga to adapt so I just hope whatever studio is making it will take their time to ensure the best possible quality
Feb 5, 2023 4:06 AM
Feb 2022
movie is somthing good but I do wist you give it a try
Feb 5, 2023 4:44 AM
Apr 2021
VeryGhoul said:
majin_mark505 said:

Katsuhiro (akiras mangaka) is directing it (at least that’s what mal says). As for the studio we still got no idea who’s working on it. I’ve seen some speculation here and there but nothing seems confirmed. Same goes for release date. Well if the original creator is heavily involved with the production then I don’t think we should be worried. Akira seems like a hard manga to adapt so I just hope whatever studio is making it will take their time to ensure the best possible quality

I’m definitely going to keep my eye out for it!
Feb 5, 2023 4:48 AM
Nov 2018
A number of things are different, but I think it’s important to take a fee factors into account:

Otomo wrote the manga and directed the movie.

The manga was not finished by the time the movie came out.

In the manga there’s a sort of midpoint where the entire environment changes. The movie ends pretty much right before this happens, but also omits a lot of characters and events that take place in the manga before this point. Most of the act 3 is therefore not really in the manga. This is to allow the movie to be more streamlined, but it does hurt the movie’s plot progression a bit, as even stated by Otomo himself. He was unhappy with how act 3 turned out. The first two acts are instead a combination of major events in the manga with a lot of the in between stuff cut out. I’d say these parts are actually really well adapted and flows well. The issue is just that these events were not intended with an ending so close, so they almost have to do some narrative gymnastics to get into a place we’re an ending is possible.

The ending in the movie is actually very similar to the ending of the manga and achieves basically the same things. The difference is in the manga there’s a lot more things in between (as is common when comparing movies and source material) that makes that ending “matter” more, like more character arcs converging etc. thus it can be deduced Otomo had an ending in mind by the time the movie was made and tried to keep it as consistent with the manga as possible, despite omitting Akira from the movie entirely.

It’s not a perfect adaptation, but considering the it’s the authors creation makes it a successful adaptation in my opinion.
Feb 5, 2023 7:33 AM
Jun 2022
the kanye west music video will NOT miss
Feb 5, 2023 10:08 AM

Sep 2018
In the manga Akira is alive and present throughout most of the story. He's pursued by various factions (political, criminal, religious etc) who want to use his power for their aims. The manga is full of foot races in which whoever currently has Akira is being chased by whoever wants to get him next. In the film he is only resurrected at the end. The agendas of the various factions are explored far more in the manga. There is a lot more interplay between the various factions.
Feb 5, 2023 10:42 AM

Jun 2011
The manga has been on my back burner and many of these answers help me to be decisive too. Thanks everyone
Feb 6, 2023 9:53 PM
Sep 2022
nanamikentos said:
The manga has been on my back burner and many of these answers help me to be decisive too. Thanks everyone

I've been watching the movie for years, but just got a set of the manga to read, and it's well worth it, really shed a whole new light on the movie for me. If you needed to be swayed to check ot out anymore.
Feb 7, 2023 5:24 PM
Trash

Jul 2015
majin_mark505 said:
VeryGhoul said:

It was announced right before covid. And nothing had been said since. I’m still hyped whenever it does release
Feb 7, 2023 5:25 PM
Trash

Jul 2015
VeryGhoul said:
majin_mark505 said:

Sunrise is the studio
Feb 7, 2023 5:53 PM
Apr 2021
Seiidou said:
VeryGhoul said:

Sunrise is the studio

Seriously?! studio sunrise I love them!
Feb 20, 2023 9:15 PM

Oct 2018
The manga has a much longer/drawn-out narrative, whereas the anime is an abridged version of the manga story.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

216 by Halestorm3000 »»
Yesterday, 8:32 AM

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre

TheRedComment - Jan 22

46 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 22, 5:34 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

59 by peterross »»
Dec 14, 2023 9:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.