Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

HELP!!! PLEASE CONFIRM MY INTERPRETATION & ANSWER CONFUSING QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS SERIES (ERGO PROXY)

New
Dec 7, 2022 1:39 AM
May 2020
I've just finished this series recently. I also manage to follow the entire story, yet I need to confirm my interpretation (as well as ask some questions). Here we go!!!

Dec 7, 2022 6:35 AM
Mar 2021
It's been so long since I watched Ergo Proxy. I don't remember much. I'll do my best to answer a few of these qns...

Everyone on the planet currently are pseudo-humans only. The creators are none other than humans, who escaped to outer space in order save themselves from an explosion that happened on Earth. So, they created these pseudo-humans and robots to aid them, so that they'll maintain Earth on their (creators) stead - like maintain the vegetation, cities, etc., till the poisonous gases clear out and it is safe for them (creators) to return back to Earth.

But it might be problematic if the pseudo-humans and robots exist when the creators return. So, they make the pseudo-humans unreproductive, and design the robots in such a way that they get infected by the cogito virus after a set period of time. Thus, the robots will die, and the pseudo-humans will also perish since their aids (the robots) are no more. Thus, the creators can return to a non-poisonous, nicely maintained Earth, without having to worry about pseudo-humans humans and the robots.

The proxies are immortal and the only thing that can kill them is the radiation (or whatever it is) from the other proxies (iirc). The proxies are programmed to maintain their own domes and not leave them. But as time passes, they'll become lonely and seek for other proxies, and thus they'll also end up killing each other (ig this is what happened to those 2 proxies).

I hope this answers at least your 7th and 8th qns. Please do correct me if I'm wrong anywhere 😅
FudomekiDec 7, 2022 6:43 AM
Dec 7, 2022 6:47 PM

Feb 2021
Fudomeki said:
It's been so long since I watched Ergo Proxy. I don't remember much. I'll do my best to answer a few of these qns...

Everyone on the planet currently are pseudo-humans only. The creators are none other than humans, who escaped to outer space in order save themselves from an explosion that happened on Earth. So, they created these pseudo-humans and robots to aid them, so that they'll maintain Earth on their (creators) stead - like maintain the vegetation, cities, etc., till the poisonous gases clear out and it is safe for them (creators) to return back to Earth.

But it might be problematic if the pseudo-humans and robots exist when the creators return. So, they make the pseudo-humans unreproductive, and design the robots in such a way that they get infected by the cogito virus after a set period of time. Thus, the robots will die, and the pseudo-humans will also perish since their aids (the robots) are no more. Thus, the creators can return to a non-poisonous, nicely maintained Earth, without having to worry about pseudo-humans humans and the robots.

The proxies are immortal and the only thing that can kill them is the radiation (or whatever it is) from the other proxies (iirc). The proxies are programmed to maintain their own domes and not leave them. But as time passes, they'll become lonely and seek for other proxies, and thus they'll also end up killing each other (ig this is what happened to those 2 proxies).

I hope this answers at least your 7th and 8th qns. Please do correct me if I'm wrong anywhere 😅

Ok your points make a lot of sense. Some of these I had understood back when I watched the show but having all of it explained here makes it easier to understand the entire story. Thanks!
Dec 9, 2022 2:43 PM
Jun 2022
Fudomeki said:

Also, the only purpose of the artificial humans is to create organic waste to restore the planet. You can see that in an ad that appears in a scene. A subtle criticism about the lack of humanity science can have.
Dec 9, 2022 7:59 PM
Mar 2021
PikaboyTK said:
Fudomeki said:

Ok your points make a lot of sense. Some of these I had understood back when I watched the show but having all of it explained here makes it easier to understand the entire story. Thanks!

Glad that it helped!
Dec 9, 2022 8:00 PM
Mar 2021
The_Collector01 said:
Fudomeki said:

Also, the only purpose of the artificial humans is to create organic waste to restore the planet. You can see that in an ad that appears in a scene. A subtle criticism about the lack of humanity science can have.

Oh yeah! I remember that... I think it comes in the very 1st episode...
Dec 13, 2022 4:46 AM
May 2020
Wooo, I get many information and insight from you guys 😊. Thank you for answering it.
Now, you are mentioning it. Makes sense that the creator intended to use humans as bio-waste to repair the planet. This is definitely something new for me!
I hope the other questions can be answered too. I rely on you guys.
Dec 18, 2022 9:24 PM
Jan 2015
It's also been a while since I re-watched this series, and Fudomeki is probably correct but I would quibble on the details (that said, this series is intentionally open ended and not everything is "spoon fed" with a specific answer, there could be multiple answers/interpretations).

At the beginning, Proxy 1 created Ergo proxy as his tool to help him fulfill his revenge against the creator/progenitor. In the story, Romdo was built and maintained by Ergo proxy, which is also Vincent Law (alter ego). However, at some point, Ergo entrusted the dome to Donov and left Romdo to meet with Monad, his lover. Having been abandoned, Donov was desperate as the dome was collapsed during Vincent's absence. At this time, Donov attacked Mosk to abduct Monad, then use her to sustain dome (as well as attract Ergo to Romdo). For this part, I have questions:
1. Did Proxy 1 have his own dome before?
Yes, all the proxies had their own Domes to look after. I believe the Quiz Show episode indicated there were 300 Proxies, each one with their own Dome. Since we do know Proxy 1 can create his own Proxy, there were at least 301 proxies (maybe more, if other proxies also created their own, errr, proxy progeny).

2. During Vincent's absence at Romdo, where did he (Proxy 1) hide all this time? (if he hides in Romdo, the dome's system should have worked properly. So, why Dovov is still desperate to get his hands on Vincent?)
Vincent (Ergo Proxy) was a immigrant from another Dome, so not in Romdeau (spelling isn't important, but I believe this is the correct English spelling). It is heavily implied that he was an immigrant from Mosk dome following the attack by Romdeau. Therefore, he was there in Mosk with his lover Monad Proxy.

3. "not everyone can make it into a boomerang star". Are there any remaining TRUE humans capable of giving birth out there?
All the "real" humans are in outer space. You can thank Elon Musk later /troll. Actually, there's very little we know about the "original humans" since the only thing we know about them is from that Quiz Show episode _and_ we see a glimpse of their spaceships returning in the final scene of the final episode.

During his early journey, Vincent encountered 2 Proxies, Senex and Kazkis. It is revealed that the two Proxies killed and massacred their humans. As the story unfolds, it was also mentioned that humans in the dome are actually pseudo-humans incapable of reproducing. My questions are:
4. Did Senex & Kazkis kill the humans because they had been affected by the pulse of awakening?
Good question, the Pulse of the Awakening is the "signal" that the original humans send for the Proxies on Earth to prepare for their return. It could be part of their programmed protocol to kill the existing Dome inhabitants and prepare for their own death.

By the way, you recall the episode in the Dome with all the robots doing the lawn mowing and such, but no "humans" present? It can also be understood that the Proxy running that Dome had killed all the inhabitants...

I think this point is open to interpretation, but your interpretation makes sense given what we know about the role of the Proxies and the fact that Pulse of Awakening is supposed to be a signal from the returning humans.

5. Does Womb system always produce a defective human?
If by "defective" you mean humans that can't reproduce, then "yes". We don't know anything else about how the womb system works other than that it requires a Proxy to sustain it.

6. Near the end of the story, Proxy one, the mastermind, was trying to destroy Vincent's memories at mosk through Rapture launching. I found it weird, if Proxy 1 tried to destroy humanity by using Ergo Proxy, why did Proxy 1 try destroying Ergo's original memories??
This seems like a confusion of events. It was Raul Creed that launched the Rapture (nuclear ICBM) because he believed that Vincent was at Mosk and he wanted to finish him off once and for all, and it was actually Proxy One that "saved" Mosk dome by mitigating the thermonuclear blast.

It was Monad and Ergo (Vincent) that decided to remove Ergo/Vincent's memory as a Proxy so that Vincent would be able to live as a "normal human".

7. Is Cogito virus created by creator in case there are no capable humans aiding the Proxy?
Yes, most likely. Because it was indicated that the Cogito Virus was part of the Boomerang Project.

There's no clear answer, but a plausible speculation is that Proxies + synthetic humans via the WombSys were Plan A, while the AutoReivs were Plan B in case the Proxies failed (which they sort of did). The AutoReivs would become conscious and continue on the restoration of the Earth absent the Proxies and synthetic humans. But this is all pure speculation.

8. Last question, when the creator returns to the earth, will the remaining humans (as well as pesudo-humans) be annihilated?? (Is this also one of the Proxies' tasks to ensure it??)
Related to your Pulse of Awakening question, the answer is "yes".

Lots to digest! I had to watch the series 4 or 5 times and even then I don't think I "got it all". Have fun!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.