Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 24, 2022 4:04 PM

Feb 2020
Well, animation wise it is the best season no doubt. But lets be honest writting of this season was hardly anywhere near all of previous 3 season. This season had 3 arcs - Sei Kyou/Tonryuu arc, Fire Dragons of Wei Arc and State of Ai/Coronation Ceremony arc.

Tonryuu arc was full of underdeveloped antagonists that nobody cared. Tactics used were bare minimum. It was almost straight forward with no much plot twist either. Basically Xin joined rescue/rebellion quelling army and couldn't save sei kyou, that's about it. Other than bit of character development towards sei kyuo just before his death, this arc has nothing to offer.

Next, Fire Dragons of Wei Arc tried to set antagonist at level of Six Great Generals of Qin and Three Great Heavens of Zhao. But in the end failed miserably, with one of these guys only use was narration and dying accident death (most underwhelming plot twist of kingdom till now... I refuse to believe Xin got luck enough to accidentally spot those guys and get so close to them without them noticing and was able to kill one of them). Even what this arc offered for other two guys was not all that interesting either. Ou Hon fight with Earl Shi was pretty basic version of "i got stronger while fighting" plot troupe. Gai Mou fight with xin was pretty contrived too... kidnapping Ten and hostage exchange, really. At this point in the story, one would think xin's group would be better prepared for such things! Anyways overall tactics usage was still better and ou hon did got some spotlight. So not that bad. Plus all three got promoted included tou who was off screen for most part of this arc (but still both tou and xin's didn't feel earned tbh).

Finally coronation ceremony arc, it had a interesting set up and provided conclusion to long-standing plotlines of kingdom. But in the end arc felt underwhelming because the entire battle got over by killing off a single guy who was introduced pretty late in the story and have very loose connection/significance to this arc itself. Also it felt like xin role was pretty forced and fillerish. Antagonist like Han Roki who he defeated was as basic as it gets. Even the King Zheng himself didn't have all that much role either (but the exchange of words with Lü Buwei was pretty cool enough, i guess). Overall I am not sure how to feel about this arc. (Well, i have always found anything related to royal harem as least interesting part of kingdom...so it's not all that surprising)

Anyways all the new antagonist introduced this season were not even at the level of Man Goku (from season 3) in terms of writing and characterisation. This is just plain truth.
Sure, I somewhat enjoyed this season too, but at the end of the day this entire season felt like bunch of juicy tragic love stories rather than usual battle oriented kingdom from previous 3 seasons (which I couldn't stop watching). Hope next season is better than this.

What about u all...didn't anyone else feel like this was the weakest kingdom season?
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 24, 2022 5:57 PM

May 2020
Adampk said:
Well, animation wise it is the best season no doubt. But lets be honest writting of this season was hardly anywhere near all of previous 3 season. This season had 3 arcs - Sei Kyou/Tonryuu arc, Fire Dragons of Wei Arc and State of Ai/Coronation Ceremony arc.

Tonryuu arc was full of underdeveloped antagonists that nobody cared. Tactics used were bare minimum. It was almost straight forward with no much plot twist either. Basically Xin joined rescue/rebellion quelling army and couldn't save sei kyou, that's about it. Other than bit of character development towards sei kyuo just before his death, this arc has nothing to offer.

Next, Fire Dragons of Wei Arc tried to set antagonist at level of Six Great Generals of Qin and Three Great Heavens of Zhao. But in the end failed miserably, with one of these guys only use was narration and dying accident death (most underwhelming plot twist of kingdom till now... I refuse to believe Xin got luck enough to accidentally spot those guys and get so close to them without them noticing and was able to kill one of them). Even what this arc offered for other two guys was not all that interesting either. Ou Hon fight with Earl Shi was pretty basic version of "i got stronger while fighting" plot troupe. Gai Mou fight with xin was pretty contrived too... kidnapping Ten and hostage exchange, really. At this point in the story, one would think xin's group would be better prepared for such things! Anyways overall tactics usage was still better and ou hon did got some spotlight. So not that bad. Plus all three got promoted included tou who was off screen for most part of this arc (but still both tou and xin's didn't feel earned tbh).

Finally coronation ceremony arc, it had a interesting set up and provided conclusion to long-standing plotlines of kingdom. But in the end arc felt underwhelming because the entire battle got over by killing off a single guy who was introduced pretty late in the story and have very loose connection/significance to this arc itself. Also it felt like xin role was pretty forced and fillerish. Antagonist like Han Roki who he defeated was as basic as it gets. Even the King Zheng himself didn't have all that much role either (but the exchange of words with Lü Buwei was pretty cool enough, i guess). Overall I am not sure how to feel about this arc. (Well, i have always found anything related to royal harem as least interesting part of kingdom...so it's not all that surprising)

Anyways all the new antagonist introduced this season were not even at the level of Man Goku (from season 3) in terms of writing and characterisation. This is just plain truth.
Sure, I somewhat enjoyed this season too, but at the end of the day this entire season felt like bunch of juicy tragic love stories rather than usual battle oriented kingdom from previous 3 seasons (which I couldn't stop watching). Hope next season is better than this.

What about u all...didn't anyone else feel like this was the weakest kingdom season?

kingdom season 3 and season 4 are peak fiction

Nov 24, 2022 6:03 PM
Dec 2021
Adampk said:

I mean the fact that animation is amazing is no doubt, you say that lore in comparison to the other seasons is not as good however i can tell 2nd season lacked in that. Although i liked overall the story, there were many lazy writing like the Murder Attempt of Zheng's wife, that imo was really weak everything since the start to the end when she gets healed. I loved some characters but many as well were pretty boring. Animation obviously had something to do as they censored lot of things and ofc they also had almost the worst cgi I've ever seen but like background. The pallet of colors was pretty wack too, it felt really off and uncolored sometimes, like pretty much boring and not vibrant.
Nov 24, 2022 6:19 PM

Feb 2020
Homura24 said:

kingdom S4 was kind of lame in comparison to Season 1 and 2. unless, u just skipped both because of cgi, it should be obvious.
anyways if u don't really have anything substantial to say, why even reply?
AdampkNov 24, 2022 6:23 PM
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 24, 2022 6:30 PM

Feb 2020
TheMaXIN said:

I mean the fact that animation is amazing is no doubt, you say that lore in comparison to the other seasons is not as good however i can tell 2nd season lacked in that. Although i liked overall the story, there were many lazy writing like the Murder Attempt of Zheng's wife, that imo was really weak everything since the start to the end when she gets healed. I loved some characters but many as well were pretty boring. Animation obviously had something to do as they censored lot of things and ofc they also had almost the worst cgi I've ever seen but like background. The pallet of colors was pretty wack too, it felt really off and uncolored sometimes, like pretty much boring and not vibrant.

sure, as written in op i pretty much told animation was better that all season. anyways i didn't ask about animation at all because there are better option in anime if u are looking for animation tbh and there is not much to discuss to this because indeed its better than other season in terms of animation.

as for boring character, u can't be serious. non of S2 characters were as undeveloped as S4 character.

As for murder attempt at zheng's wife. It was a 2-3 episode arc of 39 episode season. Sure, it not great (just like everything related to royal harem), but u can't just say season 2 is worser than S4 because of such minor thing. Plus the same thing happened in s4 by xin's last minute arrivel to save them, so it's ironic to give that as reason.
Anyways Non of the character or arc of S4 were as good as Sanyou Campaign Arc or character ran pa or even Rinko
AdampkNov 24, 2022 6:55 PM
BIO

Nov 24, 2022 8:54 PM

Mar 2021
For me, its Season 3>Season 1>season 4>Season 2

I think season 2 had less impactful arcs from the Kingdom series. The Sanyou campaign arc was not very interesting. It had very little twists and goosebumps moment compared to other seasons in kingdom.
Nov 25, 2022 12:29 PM
Oct 2022
@Adampk

I just finished this season last night and, I honestly agree with you... I still rated it a 10, because its Kingdom, and I can't bear the idea of giving a season of Kingdom any less then a 10... Especially since I still enjoyed it a lot. But I also felt like this was the weakest season so far and I was just about to start a thread about it.

Personally, my biggest complaint is that the battle tactics weren't nearly as awe-inspiring this season as in previous seasons... I loved in previous seasons how you had so many things happen that you didn't expect at all. Like in season 2, where the old general used archers and wooden stakes built underneath the ground to completely destroy Xin's cavalry charge. I loved how each general had his own personality that strongly influenced his method of battle. Some generals are prideful, more like warriors themselves, and are eager to march to the front or duel with opposing generals. Other generals stick solely to strategy and don't consider themselves to be soldiers at all. Some generals use more defense oriented tactics, like to ambush opponents. Others like to duke it out on the field.

But in this season, I barely saw any variety of tactics or battle scenes. The river crossing battle was the only exception, but that one was disappointingly short. I have felt somewhat in previous seasons, but I especially felt it during this season, that Kingdom relies too much on cavalry charges to change the course of battles. This season, almost every battle seemed to be a matter of "cavalry at the correct point of contact." It never felt like any side was truly "outwitted" like in previous seasons. I loved how previous seasons basically felt like Death Note levels of mind games, twists, and turns but applied to Ancient battle strategy rather then a detective story.

In this season though, I just didn't feel that. I want to see more variety of battle tactics. I'd like to see archers utilized by the Qin forces more often, I'd like to see chariots come into play more, I'd like to see traps be sprung, ambushes pulled off, and I'd like to see Xin get off his horse and fight man to man the way he did in season 1 and season 2. And I would like to see more siege warfare. And not like the kind you saw at Kanyou. I want to see siege battles with battering rams, ladders, and towers with the same kind of mind games, twists, and turns that open field battles have had. Kingdom has barely had any true siege battles. I'd like to see more of that.
Nov 25, 2022 6:30 PM

May 2020
Adampk said:
Homura24 said:

kingdom S4 was kind of lame in comparison to Season 1 and 2. unless, u just skipped both because of cgi, it should be obvious.
anyways if u don't really have anything substantial to say, why even reply?

cause I can tf

plus like I said before S3 and S4 are peak fiction
but i did like s3 a bit more

Nov 25, 2022 7:21 PM
Jul 2021
next arc will be great. and there will be main villain also

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kingdom 4th Season Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2022

49 by YUKIOKUN123 »»
Mar 11, 1:23 AM

Poll: » Kingdom 4th Season Episode 1 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

42 by YUKIOKUN123 »»
Mar 11, 1:21 AM

Poll: » Kingdom 4th Season Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2022

42 by Vandesdelca »»
Feb 23, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Kingdom 4th Season Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 20, 2022

31 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Feb 11, 10:42 PM

Poll: » Kingdom 4th Season Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

24 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Feb 11, 3:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.