Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

So not only Kaori never confesses but she actually was Watari GF all along till the end?

Your Lie in April
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 22, 2022 1:47 AM

May 2018
At first I thought it was just a rumor that she liked Watari that was never clarified and only us watchers/readers realized she actually liked Arima.
But now after reading the final chapter and the way she apologizes to Watari in the letter it seems they were actually dating? is this correct? She dated his friend and made her own crush feel rejected until the end?
Because that makes it for one of the trashiest romance plots ever, to the point of beeing offensive, almost NTR-like.

NetorareVibesSep 15, 2022 2:37 PM
Jun 22, 2022 2:02 AM
Jun 2021
kaori’s feelings for arima were nothing more than admiration. at least that’s how i interpreted it
Jun 22, 2022 2:09 AM
Apr 2018
its pretty clear she loved kousei, she said sorry to the other basically because she used him to get close to kousei, also he didnt live her either as shown in the series he was a playboy .she said it herself she didnt know how to get close to him she didnt want to ruin the friendship he had with tsubaki or whatever her name was i dont recall. no ntr at all.
Jun 22, 2022 2:11 AM
Aug 2021
Kaori loved arima. he did too. and also she didn't know how to get close to him. so she used his friend watari as an excuse to get to know him
ThappleJun 22, 2022 2:16 AM
Jun 22, 2022 2:18 AM
Jul 2020
righttt? i was thinking of the same thing. i never liked her in the first place ,yes i cried a few times but at the end i really hoped she die . I was always team tsubaki
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal account☮️.
Jun 22, 2022 2:23 AM
Jul 2021
NetorareVibes said:
At first I thought it was just a rumor that she liked Watari that was never clarified and only us watchers/readers realized she actually liked Arima.
But now after reading the final chaper and the way she apologizes to Watari in the letter it seems they were actually dating? is this correct? She dated his friend and made his crush feel rejected until the end?
Because that makes it for one of the trashiest romance plots ever, to the point of beeing offensive, almost NTR-like.

She didn't wanted him feel that she's special to him, cause she knew he wouldn't be able to bear her loss after she's gone.
Jun 22, 2022 3:27 AM
Apr 2021
Deku_kamado said:
righttt? i was thinking of the same thing. i never liked her in the first place ,yes i cried a few times but at the end i really hoped she die . I was always team tsubaki

My Man 💪🫂
Arima×Sawabe for the win 🏆 🙌 💪
Jun 22, 2022 4:27 AM
Jul 2020
V3nomishere said:
Deku_kamado said:

My Man 💪🫂

😆 never thought someone would also agree with me
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal account☮️.
Jun 22, 2022 4:49 AM
Nov 2020
NetorareVibes said:
But now after reading the final chaper and the way she apologizes to Watari in the letter it seems they were actually dating? is this correct? She dated his friend and made his crush feel rejected until the end?

Wow! that's so true! thank you for opening my eyes about this show!
Jun 22, 2022 5:01 AM
Apr 2021
Deku_kamado said:
V3nomishere said:

My Man 💪🫂

😆 never thought someone would also agree with me

I am here for you homie 🥺❤️
Jun 22, 2022 6:03 AM
Mar 2022
Reckless_weeb said:
NetorareVibes said:

She didn't wanted him feel that she's special to him, cause she knew he wouldn't be able to bear her loss after she's gone.

^Winner 🏆 Winner^
Jun 22, 2022 7:15 AM
Apr 2021
NetorareVibes said:

tysm for putting it out, this is literally what I was thinking after seeing this show.
Jun 22, 2022 7:26 AM
Feb 2021
thought watari and kaori never went out as a couple,, might really need to rewatch the series for this tidbit
Jun 22, 2022 7:46 AM
Jan 2021
Watari and Kaori were “dating” meaning they “liked” each other but they weren’t exclusively dating (even though Kaori said that he wasn’t really her type). Watari liked other girls, like Keiko, but he never would actually voice his complete feelings to one and stay with one. So he was never in a relationship, which Kaori didn’t like that (voiced in her letter). Kaori also said she felt bad leading him on, she never says that was a good thing, she even says that she never should have gotten in their friend group because Tsubaki loved Arima. She felt bad that she made their relationship sticky.

Also, really hating these NTR threads. I’m pretty sure normal 14 year olds don’t fantasize nor like NTR.

Kaori simply loved Arima. At first it was admiration, but they spent I think a year with each other and they definitely loved each other, which is why in her letter she said, “I love you.”

Also, the dub was way better.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 22, 2022 9:25 AM

May 2018
official_brown said:
Watari and Kaori were “dating” meaning they “liked” each other but they weren’t exclusively dating (even though Kaori said that he wasn’t really her type).

And what is that suposed to mean? Were they dating like kissing holding hands and going out together or not? Or maybe its never is properly clarified in the story?
And maybe this is done on purpose (that thing not beeing clarified) so the author could have his stupid plot twist at the end that was planned from the start and that gives the story it's name without tainting the heroine so much?.
So its either "I love you but I will date your best friend to get close to you and also because I dont want to hurt you" or "Im in love with you but i will tell everyone that Im in love with your best friend because I dont know how to get close and also dont want to hurt you, I will also make you belive that until the end and you will feel misserable and insecure but dw ill tell you the truth after I die in a letter". Yeah sure...
I'll say it again. It's far stretched stupid and offensive, so the MC keeps telling himself "but she is in love with my best friend" until chapter 22. This is trash, it makes no sense even for a fiction. Its the kind of bad timing missunderstunding romance cliche but toned up to a 100.
Romance with "real" somewhat belivable conflict = good.
Romance with stupid, looplike only-for-the-sake-of-the-story conflict is bad. Thats what I think at least.
NetorareVibesJun 22, 2022 9:51 AM
Jun 22, 2022 9:56 AM
Jan 2021
NetorareVibes said:
official_brown said:
Watari and Kaori were “dating” meaning they “liked” each other but they weren’t exclusively dating (even though Kaori said that he wasn’t really her type).

And what is that suposed to mean? Were they dating like kissing holding hands and goin out together or not? Or maybe its never is properly clarified in the story?
And this is done on purpose because the author from the start wanted to have his stupid plot twist at the end that gives the story it's name.
So its either "I love you but I will date your best friend to get close to you and also because I dont want to hurt you" or "Im in love with you but i will tell everyone that Im in love with your best friend because I dont know how to get close and also dont want to hurt you, I will also make you belive that until the end and you will feel misserable and insecure but dw ill tell you the truth after I die in a letter". Yeah sure...
I'll say it again. It's far stretched stupid and offensive, so the MC keeps telling himself "but she is in love with my best friend" until chapter 22. This is trash, it makes no sense even for a fiction. Its the kind of bad timing missunderstunding romance cliche but toned up to a 100.
Romance with stupid, looplike only-for-the-sake-of-the-story conflict is bad. Thats what I think at least.

Mmm, have you ever been on a date with somebody but never been in a relationship? It’s like that. While it never truly clarified 100% that they are in a romantic relationship, it just shows that they liked each other, but not really. I mean, these are 14 year olds, I’m pretty sure they aren’t actually romantically involved. It’s never hinted at all. When Arima says he likes Kaori to Watari, Watari jokingly says, “what, are we going to fight for her.” Which implies that nobody is in a relationship with anybody.

And yes, dude is highly depressed and went through tons of physical and verbal abuse by constantly hearing, “you’re not good enough.” Of course he’s going to always say that “she doesn’t love me.” In the context of the story, nothing is narratively wrong. I just feel like you have to step into the shoes of the characters. Also they are 14.

Yeah, no, I feel like you really missed a lot of emotion and thought behind the writer/characters.

Watch the anime, it explains better than the manga. Nothing about the show uses plot convenience. The only reason I’m so confident about this is because I’ve watched this anime 6 times and can quote most of the show.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 22, 2022 10:39 AM

May 2018
official_brown said:
NetorareVibes said:

And what is that suposed to mean? Were they dating like kissing holding hands and goin out together or not? Or maybe its never is properly clarified in the story?
And this is done on purpose because the author from the start wanted to have his stupid plot twist at the end that gives the story it's name.

Mmm, have you ever been on a date with somebody but never been in a relationship? It’s like that. While it never truly clarified 100% that they are in a romantic relationship, it just shows that they liked each other, but not really. I mean, these are 14 year olds, I’m pretty sure they aren’t actually romantically involved. It’s never hinted at all. When Arima says he likes Kaori to Watari, Watari jokingly says, “what, are we going to fight for her.” Which implies that nobody is in a relationship with anybody.

And yes, dude is highly depressed and went through tons of physical and verbal abuse by constantly hearing, “you’re not good enough.” Of course he’s going to always say that “she doesn’t love me.” In the context of the story, nothing is narratively wrong. I just feel like you have to step into the shoes of the characters. Also they are 14.

Yeah, no, I feel like you really missed a lot of emotion and thought behind the writer/characters.

Watch the anime, it explains better than the manga. Nothing about the show uses plot convenience. The only reason I’m so confident about this is because I’ve watched this anime 6 times and can quote most of the show.

Oh yes there are many things wrong with the story, First many of the things that happensare unclear and all over the place, with all the stupid mini time-skips, and all the dialogues that are so conveniently left half way, But I'm not goin to go into detail with those because a decent show may fall into those mistakes but can still recover from that...
but back to the important ones, she maintaining that facade for 8 straight months or so and she dieying in a bed at the hospital and MC not goin to see her because he is a pussy and because he feel rejected and feel like a third wheel is BAD story telling: unnecesary complicated and painful.
is it 100% unreal and imposible? probably not, could it have happend in the real world under some weird circunstances and thus be consider somewhat realistic for 14 years old blah blah? maybe yes. But Why? why would I want to read/watch a story featuring that trash?
I'm gona quote myself here "Romance with "real" somewhat belivable conflict = good. Romance with stupid, looplike only-for-the-sake-of-the-story conflict is bad".
NetorareVibesSep 15, 2022 2:49 PM
Jun 22, 2022 10:42 AM
Jan 2021
NetorareVibes said:
official_brown said:

Oh yes there are many things wrong with the story, I'm not goin to go into detail of if beeing unclear and all over the place, all the stupid mini time-skips, and all the dialogues that are so conveniently left half way, because a decent show may fall into but can recover from those...
but back to the important ones, she maintaining that facade for 8 straight months or so and she dieying in a bed at the hospital and MC not goin to see her because he is a pussy and because he feel rejected and feel like a third wheel is BAD story telling unnecesary complicated and painful.
is it 100% unreal and imposible? probably not, could it happend in the real world under some weird circunstances and thus be consider somewhat realistic? maybe yes. But Why? why would I want to read/watch a story featuring that trash?
I'm gona quote myself here "Romance with "real" somewhat belivable conflict = good. Romance with stupid, looplike only-for-the-sake-of-the-story conflict is bad".

Ok, I don’t think we’re going to see eye to eye. Because the “faults” you have with the show is a lack of empathy, understanding of people, and just plainly don’t exist. It’s just a preference thing for you.

Not a knock to you, but I just don’t think you got the jist of the story. But it’s cool not to like it. But all of those flaws you see, just plainly don’t exist to people because it makes sense to us. But yeah, sorry you couldn’t enjoy it.
Jun 22, 2022 11:16 AM
Jun 2021
NetorareVibes said:

I like to think that was the lie in the title your lie in april.
Jun 22, 2022 1:40 PM

May 2018
No, its not "pretty clear" they werent dating, take for example the childhood friend with the senpai, they were just walking home having akwards conversations, never been shown to do anything more than that so it may be pretty clear that they werent dating, but they were actually, we learn that when they breake up.

It's not clear at all Kaori and Watari weren't dating, it seemed they werent right until the letter and some of the panels in the last chapter wich suggest maybe they were. And it's not that im obsessed with if they were dating/kissing/couple life or not because I'm 12 years old virgin that's not the issue.

I'm gona go ahead and try make myself clear one last time and some of you may still love the show anyway but I'm not braindead as some of you are, and I'm not gona let a story shit on me and then pretend it's a masterpiece: there are multiple ocasions in wich the MC who is absolutely in love with FMC felt rejected out of place and third wheeled. Saying things to himself as "im not good enough, none could love me", "im just a replacement". He tortured himself wanting/not wanting to go to the hospital to see his dieying love but at the same time felt out of place and misserable watching how FMC and Watari smiled at each other, he was absolutely heartbrooken while she was sick and dieying. I even saw his childhood "friend" tell him "if it's about girls you can never win against Watari", the author took the work to portrait how heartbroken and misserable MC felt, and us readers with him. And in the end all that was generated by FMC, she did all that just because she didn't know how to get close? or because she didnt want to be in bad terms with her friend? or she did all that for MC to not feel sad when she died? (wich ofc he would and did, she even took the trouble to confess all that crap after she died) so she died without confessing letting her loved feel rejected and heartbroken? Is this the same character that said to MC to live freely and to play with his heart until the end? Are you KIDDING me? Because it seems the problem is that the wuthor is stubborn and lazy and doesnt give much thinking when dropping pot-twists. Although it has ofc good moments, this story is TRASHY, it's cheap and unsettling in a bad way, deal with it. Have a good day
NetorareVibesSep 15, 2022 3:01 PM
Jun 22, 2022 5:03 PM
Jan 2019
NetorareVibes said:

Hah yeah... Dck move on her part. She didn't have to be so extra like that. Kousei already had so much pain. He was drowning in despair to the point he can't hear shit.

Then she comes along and makes it worse. IDC about her "situation" it doesn't justify her actions. I believe. Slap to the face whenever kousei was near her. Jeez why.

Forget the need of it "muse" "purpose" "inspiration" or "will" to get back up.

I understand somethings were necessary for plot and character development etc etc

But that pain is not fcking okay. Ever.
Jun 22, 2022 5:06 PM
Jan 2019
Be honest for fcks sake whilst you still can.

Lovely anime. I wept a tear or 2. But ouch my feelings dude
Jun 22, 2022 5:07 PM
Jan 2019
Deku_kamado said:

With ya on that. Try not to spoil it atleast hehe
Jun 22, 2022 5:08 PM
Jan 2019
Everyone behind the scenes demanded tears from its audience...and dammit they got it
Jun 23, 2022 4:22 AM
Apr 2020
your title is a spoiler, so Im reporting it
Jun 24, 2022 7:38 AM
Oct 2020
R77Prodigy said:
its pretty clear she loved kousei, she said sorry to the other basically because she used him to get close to kousei, also he didnt live her either as shown in the series he was a playboy .she said it herself she didnt know how to get close to him she didnt want to ruin the friendship he had with tsubaki or whatever her name was i dont recall. no ntr at all.

also, I think Kaori didn't use Watari, but she actually asked him to pretend to be her boyfriend to get close to Kousei. In particular a scene in the hospital (don't remember which one, it's been a couple years) where Watari was in Kaori's room and when Kousei got in he left with the usual kinda made up "Yeah, I was just about to leave".
I clarify this is my personal theory, bit it's quite clear that Kaori actually loved Kousei and saw Watari only as a good friend, being them both super extrovert
Jun 24, 2022 7:39 AM
Apr 2018
Click767 said:
R77Prodigy said:

also, I think Kaori didn't use Watari, but she actually asked him to pretend to be her boyfriend to get close to Kousei. In particular a scene in the hospital (don't remember which one, it's been a couple years) where Watari was in Kaori's room and when Kousei got in he left with the usual kinda made up "Yeah, I was just about to leave".
I clarify this is my personal theory, bit it's quite clear that Kaori actually loved Kousei and saw Watari only as a good friend, being them both super extrovert
i think she did mislead him thats why she said sorry. But im prettt sure she knew he was a playboy and wasnt all that worried. He was even seeing other chicks.
Jun 26, 2022 7:40 AM
Jun 2021
She knew she was going to die, she knew that if she was going to date him she would only be a spot in arima's life. That's why she dated his friend, only so she could get closer to arima. Yes it's trashy but kinda understandable.
Jul 21, 2022 4:41 PM
Oct 2020
maybe she knew that he likes her back and didnt want to confess him cuz he will be even more sad when she die
Dec 11, 2023 7:21 PM
Nov 2019
Reply to Ni8htwing
@Deku_kamado

Even though she’s a fictional character
Don’t you think it’s a bit harsh wishing some one to die… unless their a murderer….
Dec 11, 2023 7:22 PM
Nov 2019
Reply to RimuruTari
your title is a spoiler, so Im reporting it
@RimuruTari

You sound like a German in 1942 when he sees a jew…
Feb 19, 9:58 PM

Jan 2023
Reply to Ni8htwing
@Deku_kamado
Deku_kamado said:
I was always team tsubaki

So was Kaori, that's why she pretended to like the best friend, instead of Arima himself - she did not want to ruin the thing he had with Tsubaki, knowing it would not last anyway due to her dying soon.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2014

331 by RickHatake »»
Apr 23, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 8, 2015

243 by Miyakirauhciyama »»
Apr 23, 4:46 AM

» Let me share my experience to re-watching it again

GuyWithoutFear - Apr 13

1 by falko92 »»
Apr 20, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 5, 2015

295 by kyledluffy »»
Apr 16, 11:18 PM

Poll: » Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2015

1174 by LordArmandtrox »»
Apr 16, 9:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.